HD DVD movie screenshot thread...[big files] - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Incred DP shots, thanks for posting 'em! Steve Morse is a MUTHA, helluva player he is! =)

My Setup | Night | Bedroom

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

Incred DP shots, thanks for posting 'em! Steve Morse is a MUTHA, helluva player he is! =)

indeed

I saw Deep Purple in Concer live on Thursday night

Deep Purple and Ted Nugent

they both rocked the sh*t

anywho here's a few ore pics from the HDDVD

Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
That is scary.
I have my copy coming from Amazon but after reading the HiDefDigest review and seeing those screen shots, I'm getting a little worried.
If you were to ask me if those were snaps of a SD or HDDVD, I would say SD.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller View Post

That is scary.
I have my copy coming from Amazon but after reading the HiDefDigest review and seeing those screen shots, I'm getting a little worried.
If you were to ask me if those were snaps of a SD or HDDVD, I would say SD.

I hear ya, bear in mind, I'm not a great screen shot guy, there will be better shots from the others, but yep, watching it was NOTHING like what I've become accustomed to seeing from "Hi-Def" material at home -- there are zero *3D-POP*, *staring at the amount of detail in the distance* or "wow, look at the color and clarity" moments, etc, etc...it is what it is..something different, not everyone will like it, I know I personally would've rather been able to magically hit a button and alternate between "processed" and "natural" versions!!!

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
Old 07-31-2007, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think a "natural" version of 300 would look good at all.........you do know that pretty much the whole movie is computer generated minus the actors right?

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 07-31-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

I hear ya, bear in mind, I'm not a great screen shot guy, there will be better shots from the others, but yep, watching it was NOTHING like what I've become accustomed to seeing from "Hi-Def" material at home -- there are zero *3D-POP*, *staring at the amount of detail in the distance* or "wow, look at the color and clarity" moments, etc, etc...it is what it is..something different, not everyone will like it, I know I personally would've rather been able to magically hit a button and alternate between "processed" and "natural" versions!!!

I've been worried about this too, but I went back and watched the 720p HD trailer from the XBLM and the grain didn't seem that bad. I did notice that a few scenes showed heavier grain, but overall the PQ was still pretty impressive.

Having said that, I'm not expecting Tier 0 quality here. I think we'll have to wait for Transformers to see that

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 07-31-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

I don't think a "natural" version of 300 would look good at all.........you do know that pretty much the whole movie is computer generated minus the actors right?

Well, by natural meaning minus the color squashing/altering and grain adding effects they applied. Of course the CGI stuff needs to be there, many movies use computer gen stuff for backdrops and effects ala Kong and so on, was just saying it'd be nice to see it and A/B with a toned down version of the effects they used (if they added them post filming that is) - it's almost too exaggerated, woulda been neat to see some parts uneffected is all.

Anyway, I'm sure the reactions will be mixed...myself, I can see the look growing on me after a few views, the movie itself is cool and thats what matters newayz. =)

Old 07-31-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

I've been worried about this too, but I went back and watched the 720p HD trailer from the XBLM and the grain didn't seem that bad. I did notice that a few scenes showed heavier grain, but overall the PQ was still pretty impressive.

Having said that, I'm not expecting Tier 0 quality here. I think we'll have to wait for Transformers to see that

If you hate grain, then you're going to be really disappointed with the HD DVD/Blu Ray version of Transformers........trust me.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

If you hate grain, then you're going to be really disappointed with the HD DVD/Blu Ray version of Transformers........trust me.

Why do you say that? There appeared to be a lot less grain compared to 300 from what I saw.

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM

Anyone have any Hot Fuzz shots ?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed. Transformers was extremely grainy. I watched it from the middle of the theater (plenty of grain visible) and from the second row (lots of grain visible). Haven't seen 300 yet though so I can't compare the 2.

The problem with obsessions is that they are insatiable.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:

I'm sure there will be an onslaught of 300 shots, might as well get the ball rolling...

What a cool movie, grainy as a mutha, not sure I like that even understanding it's intentional to give the flick a gritty feel - I suppose it works. =)

thanks for the shots. I hope others will upload their screenshots of 300. I loved this movie in the theater but now all this talk about the level of grain is making me change my mind about buying the hd version and maybe spending less money on the sd collectors version. i wonder how they stack up cuz even tho i really like the film, i think excessive grain to the point where it makes you say, this isnt HD is a turn off.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Why do you say that? There appeared to be a lot less grain compared to 300 from what I saw.

I noticed a ton of grain in the dark scenes in Transformers. I guarantee that we will here people bitching about that when it comes on Blu Ray and HD DVD.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mummy Returns - click to enlarge

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
Old 08-02-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mummy Returns continues - click to enlarge

Old 08-02-2007, 11:10 PM
<><
Advanced Member

@Schilis, just some comparison shots...i dunno why some peoples screen shots look a lot darker (black crush) than mine. What you see in the following images will be diff than what i see b/c of calibration as well.

Quote:

I'm sure there will be an onslaught of 300 shots, might as well get the ball rolling...

What a cool movie, grainy as a mutha, not sure I like that even understanding it's intentional to give the flick a gritty feel - I suppose it works. =)

Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Bravia rules in the contrast and sharpness department.
However it fails to reproduce a nice deep shade of black.
That's why your picture carries more whites and less black.
Because of poor deep blacks the color saturation and accuracy is also affected.

Blu-ray : 340
Old 08-03-2007, 02:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by <><</strong> View Post

@Schilis, just some comparison shots...i dunno why some peoples screen shots look a lot darker (black crush) than mine. What you see in the following images will be diff than what i see b/c of calibration as well.

I don't have black crush happening on this end, sorry - it's just a difference between our cameras, I have mine set to manual shutter speed so I can grab more detail (I don't like the auto settings because when I pause the screen to nab a shot, the auto setting does not give me a result closer to what I see on the tv, it might make for a nice picture, but it's not accurate to what I'm watchng on the TV...but when I adjust it, I at least get closer, the crushed whites turn into detail and color, etc)...look at the areas where there is brightness, like my third shot -- the top of his helmet - in my shot it's gold colored and you can still see the detail, or you can follow that rim of the helmet around the left and onto the back - in your shot that rim and the top just vanish into a white blur (now go pause that scene and look, you will not see a white blur there, but rather color and detail) - same with the flames - my flames are caught with color and detail I see on screen, and again, your camera just caught a white area...or the chest and top area of the shield of Leonidas in the first shot - my camera caught the color and detail, yours is again just white...now when I watch the movie, I don't just see a white burst in those areas, but rather the color and detail, etc, etc....like his helmet in the close up's - in cnickersonjr's shot (and in the acutal movie), its bronze/gold colored, in your shot, it looks silver - too much brightness (or, like I said, our cameras are adjusted way different)...(IMO of course )...

Just for a goof, if I have time this eve I will take another shot with the camera on the auto setting and you'll see similar results to yours...just so you'll see I don't have a crush issue at ALL, just experimenting with picture taking!

Peace,
derek

Old 08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
<><
Advanced Member

@shilis, i believe its display to display....each lcd/tv/calibration will display images differently for each person, for example on my screen on your first screen shot, the fur on top of the helmet i cant even see b/c on my screen the black blends into the background, so it doesnt even look like he has fur on top of his helmet, thats why my images look overly bright to you b/c on my screen your images look overy dark :P

i get it now, thanks tho for your reply
Old 08-03-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have black crush happening on this end, sorry - it's just a difference between our cameras, I have mine set to manual shutter speed so I can grab more detail (I don't like the auto settings because when I pause the screen to nab a shot, the auto setting does not give me a result closer to what I see on the tv, it might make for a nice picture, but it's not accurate to what I'm watchng on the TV...but when I adjust it, I at least get closer, the crushed whites turn into detail and color, etc)...look at the areas where there is brightness, like my third shot -- the top of his helmet - in my shot it's gold colored and you can still see the detail, or you can follow that rim of the helmet around the left and onto the back - in your shot that rim and the top just vanish into a white blur (now go pause that scene and look, you will not see a white blur there, but rather color and detail) - same with the flames - my flames are caught with color and detail I see on screen, and again, your camera just caught a white area...or the chest and top area of the shield of Leonidas in the first shot - my camera caught the color and detail, yours is again just white...now when I watch the movie, I don't just see a white burst in those areas, but rather the color and detail, etc, etc....like his helmet in the close up's - in cnickersonjr's shot (and in the acutal movie), its bronze/gold colored, in your shot, it looks silver - too much brightness (or, like I said, our cameras are adjusted way different)...(IMO of course )...

Just for a goof, if I have time this eve I will take another shot with the camera on the auto setting and you'll see similar results to yours...just so you'll see I don't have a crush issue at ALL, just experimenting with picture taking!

Peace,
derek

Your's looks more like it's supposed to look like. The other guys shots looks like his temperature setting is on "cool".

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
Old 08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks maverick...I think mine are close but I'm still not there yet, they could actually be a wee bit brighter, but not much, camera has too many friggin' setting to play with, heh, still fooling with it everythime I watch a movie, lol! I see one thing I wan't to adjust on my display though thanks to looking closely at his and my shots - I'm going to reduce my overscan a hair - in the second picture, you can fully see the guy on the far left in his shot, in my shot I only have his shoulder!! =)

Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Van Helsing - click to enlarge

Old 08-03-2007, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Van Helsing continued - click to enlarge

Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 PM

gonna watch shaun of the dead and then have my go at this....not really sure what settings are best for my cam but i guess its a work in progress.

-Lude