I still have to buy standard def - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
all movies i'm buying lately are standard def, but i wish they were hi def. anyone still in the same boat?

i had to get the descent cuz i don't have a BD player yet. i'm gonna wait to buy Crank till i get a BD player. i got clerks 2 on SD cuz the HD isn't that much of an improvement and , to me, doesn't merit the extra $. and Texas Chainsaw the Beginning and Pirates of the Carib Dead Man's Chest aren't in either HD format!

ah well...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:09 AM

I can safely say I won't be buying another standard DVD ever again. After witnessing the absurd beauty of HD DVD, I just can't justify handing over money for an inferior product when I could be spending it on the best there is.
post #3 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 AM

I agree Sytadel. If I want to watch a movie that is not in HD, it's a rental!

Toshiba HD-XA2
PS3
post #4 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

you mean there are NO movies you guys like enough to own but there are NO plans for any HD release????? or what about the PotC movies? i doubt HD DVD will ever see those, and they are GREAT movies!
post #5 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree, The sound alone is a huge improvement and arguably HD DVD/BD is the best presentation (over the dvd counterparts) that you can get today.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #6 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus67 View Post

or what about the PotC movies? i doubt HD DVD will ever see those, and they are GREAT movies!

lol
post #7 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

I'm done buying DVD's. Only rentals. My family members buy all the good new releases and I just borrow them anyway. If I like a title, I'm going to wait until it comes out in HD-DVD before I get it, if it's blu-ray only, forget it.
post #8 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I still buy and watch DVDs. I'm mostly interested in content, If its available on HD, fine-if not I'll get the SD DVD. FWIW, I thought POtC2 was one of the worst pieces of crap I've ever seen.
J
post #9 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytadel View Post

I can safely say I won't be buying another standard DVD ever again. After witnessing the absurd beauty of HD DVD, I just can't justify handing over money for an inferior product when I could be spending it on the best there is.

+1 ... No way I can ever purchase a SD DVD..i almost did the other day..almost bought Jackass 2...but ended up getting GoodFellas HD DVD instead!

Neutral :D

Blu Ray 33
HD DVD 33

Last Bought:Half Baked (HD DVD), Dazed & Confused (HD DVD) & Breakfast Club (HD DVD)
post #10 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

man, i thought both Pirates movies were very entertaining. it's not Citizen Kane, but they are well done and fun movies! i would LOVE to see them in HD. the scenes on the beaches with the white sand and crystal water look amazing in SD. imagine HD.
post #11 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasie View Post

+1 ... No way I can ever purchase a SD DVD..i almost did the other day..almost bought Jackass 2...but ended up getting GoodFellas HD DVD instead!

another good point! jackass 2 is not in HD, nor does it really merit HD. so i bought the SD version. and goodfellas isn't that much of a visual powerhouse to me, so again i'm happy with the SD version i already own.
post #12 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I'm in the same boat as the OP. If I don't believe it will be available on HD DVD within 2 years I will buy the DVD. Also, I was in BB and saw the superbit of Punch Drunk Love for $6. I can't pass that up. By the way, right next to it was a stack of 60GB PS3s . To think 2 months ago I was seeing PS3s listed on EBay for $16,000. Made me chuckle.

Gamer Tag: Todd Stevens
post #13 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

i'm not too crazy about those superbit movies. there was some improvement in Dracula, but otherwise i feel like i'm just getting gypped out of the cool packaging and extras like i did with Spiderman 2.
post #14 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytadel View Post

Yep, that is my thinking. I made the mistake of picking up "Cars" before the holidays and now I will have to go the Ebay route when it makes its Blu-ray debut. I learned my lesson. I will only purchase HD DVD or Blu-ray this year. No more standard def for me either...
post #15 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

I'm not buying anymore standard defs either. I'm going to make the assumption that HD DVD and Blu-ray will be here for at least a couple of more years, so I'll only buy movies in those formats. Anything else will be rented.
post #16 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorax View Post

...I was in BB and saw the superbit of Punch Drunk Love for $6. I can't pass that up. By the way, right next to it was a stack of 60GB PS3s . To think 2 months ago I was seeing PS3s listed on EBay for $16,000. Made me chuckle.

I like P.T. Anderson's "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and "Sydney/Hard Eight" but "Punch Drunk Love" is one of the most self-indulgent and painfully boring films I have suffered through. I owned it mostly because I am a completist when I admire a particular Director, however I doubt I would purchase it again when it makes its high def debut.

There may have been a stack of PS3s sitting next to it, but don't fool yourself, because that sucker is selling. Now that I am format neutral I am noticing how hard it is to get my hands on certain titles. The racks used to be well-stocked and deep but now they are looking shabby. I was at Best Buy Sunday for their 2 for 1 sale this week and returned to check out the new releases on Tuesday. The sale evidently affected Blu-ray titles across the board because the shelves were swept pretty clean of even those that didn't qualify. It is becoming obvious that there has been a positive sales trend for that format. Both formats may continue to exist a very long time.
post #17 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

i'm not too crazy about those superbit movies. there was some improvement in Dracula, but otherwise i feel like i'm just getting gypped out of the cool packaging and extras like i did with Spiderman 2.

I totally agree and feel that Sony's "Superbit" is the quality their initial release should have been. The increased bitrate is the standard at the other major studios.
But just to get back on point, there are still DVDs being released with exceptional authoring and supplementary content. I love HD as much as the next guy, on this forum, but still can get lots of enjoyment out of SD. Kingdom of Heaven was released on BD with anemic supplements(infact I believe there are none) compared to the SD director's cut. I like that film very much but if I swung that way, the blu-way, I would have to consider if the SD release is good enough. You just know the Fox double-dip will happen. I think DVD is drying up but still has some juice left.

post #18 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

I like P.T. Anderson's "Boogie Nights," "Magnolia" and "Sydney/Hard Eight" but "Punch Drunk Love" is one of the most self-indulgent and painfully boring films I have suffered through.

I can't disagree with that, I found some enjoyment in it, but I guess that's why I only picked a copy of it last week. PTA is an exceptional talent. I'm looking forward to There Will Be Blood. A Upton Sinclair novel with his screenplay should be interesting. Now I'm kind of glad I was made to read The Jungle in high school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH View Post

There may have been a stack of PS3s sitting next to it, but don't fool yourself, because that sucker is selling.

I do believe demand was overestimated, at least locally, but I'm not fooling myself just making an observation.

post #19 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:

or what about the PotC movies? i doubt HD DVD will ever see those, and they are GREAT movies!

There's always Blu-ray! I own both formats so I don't have to worry about each others exclusives.

I tried, but I cannot bring myself to buy a standard DVD again.

Sony SXRD
PS3
HD-XA2

Blu-ray- 54
HD DVD- 19
post #20 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

I am netflixing all my standard DVD movies since about november as well as some HD-DVDs and buying the few HD-DVDs I want for keeps as they are released. I have been pretty happy going this route, I did buy Ice Age 2 for my son though.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #21 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I still buy a few dvds bought pirates,crank simpsons season 9,firefly in the last few months. As well as beerfest,clerks II although I replaced my clerks II dvd yesterday with the HDDVD, only bought the DVD for the BB moby pack so it worth it then.

I don't think I'll upgade beerfest as it was a so-so movie not worth 20 bucks.

So at the momment boxsest mostly and some sony DVDs. Atleast until I go blu as well...
post #22 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

all movies i'm buying lately are standard def, but i wish they were hi def. anyone still in the same boat?

i had to get the descent cuz i don't have a BD player yet. i'm gonna wait to buy Crank till i get a BD player. i got clerks 2 on SD cuz the HD isn't that much of an improvement and , to me, doesn't merit the extra $. and Texas Chainsaw the Beginning and Pirates of the Carib Dead Man's Chest aren't in either HD format!

ah well...

Ever so often, Target sells some very good standard DVDs for $5.50 so I'll continue to buy them! I understand when viewed with a 1080 projector and the Tosh xa2, and upconverted to 1080, standard DVDS are nearly as good as HD-DVD.
post #23 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 AM

I will never buy a SD DVD again, heck even my rentals have slowed down considerably. On a 133' screen, the differences are so apparent, I can't bring myself to watch it. I will watch SD on the 50' plasma though
post #24 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

Ever so often, Target sells some very good standard DVDs for $5.50 so I'll continue to buy them! I understand when viewed with a 1080 projector and the Tosh xa2, and upconverted to 1080, standard DVDS are nearly as good as HD-DVD.

I wouldn't say that, but I would say that they do look much better then if they weren't upconverted, though they might look close horribly transferred titles. True HD still is much better the best upconverted SD-DVD. But I don't mind watching
post #25 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontRich View Post

I dont' agree with that, with a 1080 projector and upconverted DVD's you still don't get the 3D effects you do with the HD content. It looks ok, but not anywhere near HD DVD or Blu Ray
post #26 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The superbit of The Fifth Element is my reference SD DVD. I'm not overly interested in packaging or extras.
J
post #27 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post

I still buy and watch DVDs. I'm mostly interested in content, If its available on HD, fine-if not I'll get the SD DVD... J

My sentiment exactly.

htomei

but I digress......
post #28 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I will not buy a decent movie on DVD again. I say "decent" because I sometimes HAVE TO buy a DVD for my 5 yr old daughter when she demands the latest Barbie or something like that .
post #29 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

I've bought a few SD-DVD's lately
my wife just "has to have" certain movies
So we the recent SD-DVD purchases are
Cars(which will be replaced with HD/BD)
Little mermaid platinum edition(despite owning the original pressing)
Cinderella
Madagascar

Now I'm told we "have" to get bambi and dumbo
I wish disney would get on board with one of the HD formats and release these classics on that format.

PS3 & A2 = Format Neutral
post #30 of 56 Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

The only SD-DVD's I will ever buy new now are animated titles not available HD-DVD. And by animated, I'm not talking Finding Nemo. I'm talking about stuff like Ultimate Avengers or Record of Lodoss War (hand drawn animation). I've seen some demos of hi-def hand drawn animation and what I saw was really just a marginal improvement over SD discs, especially anime titles that are like 50 minutes (where bit rates have room to hit close to 10 Mbs on DVD).

Everything else I will either rent, or wait for it to hit $5 used.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page