Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Hello everyone.

As you have noticed by now, studios really believe in HD DVD combos. Most of their interest comes from early user surveys which showed strong interest in combo discs and that consumers were willing to pay up to $5 for that compability. Indeed, history shows that consumers despise new formats that break full compatibility with their current equipment.

Now, one can take one look at this forum and see that the above does not seem to match with the reaction of this community. So what I like to do is gather some data that I can potentially forward to the studios as they make their plans with regards to combos. Such data can then be used to balanced the feedback from other sources.

So please vote as appropriately. If you absolutely will not buy combos regardless, then please post and give a reason.

Thanks for the feedback!

(P.S. this is the first poll I have created here. So take it easy on me if I have not phrased the questions precisely ).

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No problem with combos here, except for price....if they were under $20, then I'd be happy to buy them....
post #3 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I would prefer that they include an extra SD DVD disk in the box rather then a 'combo flipper' to promote backward compatibility (wouldnt the cost be about the same anyway?...and that way we wouldn't have to lose out on the artwork/labeling).

I will buy a combo if there is no other option available (exclusive HD DVD release, only available in a combo disk), but I am not fond of them.

PS Network: HZR
Xbox 360 Tag: HZR Nam 75
Wii Connect: 7793 3308 1436 9373

I support cycle commuting.
post #4 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU View Post

I would prefer that they include an extra SD DVD disk in the box rather then a 'combo flipper' to promote backward compatibility (wouldnt the cost be about the same anyway?...and that way we wouldn't have to lose out on the artwork/labeling).

I will buy a combo if there is no other option available (exclusive HD DVD release, only available in a combo disk), but I am not fond of them.

Problem with the second disc is that people can just ebay that version, and as a result, reduce the sales of HD DVD or in effect, get a pretty signficant discount from the price of the HD DVD. We tried this with WMV-HD and with some exceptions, other studios didn't want to go for it.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #5 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
One sku could solve a lot of adoption problems for HD DVD. It could also save the studios a lot of money during the transition to HD. The B&M stores would love it. The rental outlets would really love it. It's a win win situation for everyone if they keep the cost at around $20 retail. If not, the sd users will not buy into it.
post #6 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:42 PM

Only problem with the combo's is the extra price. I dont mind them at all. If Universal release only a combo HDDVD/DVD instead of two seperate versions it would help push the new HD formats
post #7 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:46 PM

I don't have any problems with combos with the potential exception of their higher price. I would prefer that they be the same price as regular HD-DVD's ($20); however, a $3-5 premium will not stop me from buying them, and $3-5 is certainly better than the $8 premium that some of them have on Amazon. I will not pay more than $28 for an HD-DVD.
post #8 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trgraphics View Post

One sku could solve a lot of adoption problems for HD DVD. It could also save the studios a lot of money during the transition to HD. The B&M stores would love it. The rental outlets would really love it. It\\'s a win win situation for everyone if they keep the cost at around $20 retail. If not, the sd users will not buy into it.

i know for a fact the local rental place would love it big time. we were fighting the other day lol he said no one wants hd and no one ever asks for hd-dvd or blu ray and im the only one. he says.... which i doubt lol then his like im gonna have to buy a bunch of movies just so very few people can watch it? and im like man some of hte titles are combo dvd and hd-dvd and his like WHAT NO WAY! and he was like man im gonna call to make sure your not lying and if true i will order them instead.... so what you say does have truth to it.
post #9 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:13 PM

I think the combo would be especially good for those who haven't yet upgraded to HD yet (most people). They could purchase the disks now and not have to upgrade their disks when they upgrade their player. I would pay a slight ($2-$3) premium for that convenience. I'll take my artwork on the box, since I can't see the disk when it's playing anyway.
post #10 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Will buy happily if they are the same price as HD DVDs.....
post #11 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The best scenario would be that they would be the same price as a regular HD-DVD. But I voted for "Will pay $2 premium over normal HD DVDs". If I could get them for $20 as opposed to the $18 normal HD-DVDs cost from amazon, I wouldn't think twice about ordering them. The question wouldn't even enter my mind. As it is now, there are a couple titles that I have held out on purchasing because after the 10% discount they were still ~$25.50, which is enough of a premium over $18 that unless it is a title I really want, I'll hold off and hope to find a sale.
post #12 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 PM

I hate them, mainly because of the $4 price difference, and I'm not given the option to buy a standard HD DVD in many titles. I'll still buy them, even with the $4 difference, but I'd be much happier if they were the same price.
post #13 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I wish you could overlay a HD-DVD premium to SD disc poll. I am much less sensitive to a $1-$3 premium for a combo over a straight HD-DVD than I am to a $40 combo disc (like Fearless) compared to a $20 SD version. I have held off on a lot of purchases due to this opting to wait for Blockbuster/Netflix to carry them.
post #14 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDS9E View Post

Only problem with the combo's is the extra price. I dont mind them at all. If Universal release only a combo HDDVD/DVD instead of two seperate versions it would help push the new HD formats

Ditto! Although, commentaries, branched/alternate cuts of the movie/deleted scenes and as many other extras as possible should be on the HD side (unlike "16 Blocks"). I guess with 30/9 discs this should no longer be a problem.
post #15 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I voted that I would pay the extra $3-$5 more because I know the cost will go down with increased production. I think Universal will charge the current $34.95 (SRP) for catolog combos for at least the first few months and then, depending on sales, drop the prices to $29.95, the same as non-combos. Universal is the king of the flipper and I believe they produced the first DVD-18 discs, so they would be in the best position, experience-wise, to get the costs down.

I am glad that Universal is going in this direction, as to me it sort of unites the HD DVD and the DVD against Blu-ray. I hope WB drops THD and follows suit.
post #16 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:01 PM

The issue for me is the double-sided nature of the combo disc. I don't want to have an SD version on the other side of the disc. I want disc art.

Having content on both sides of the disc increases the chances for skips and other problems.
post #17 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

I was hoping they would follow through on the twin format idea (both DVD and HD DVD on the same side), but instead they decided to go with the TL-51.
post #18 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawtooth81 View Post

The issue for me is the double-sided nature of the combo disc. I don't want to have an SD version on the other side of the disc. I want disc art.

That's my issue as well.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #19 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Option 3.I'm not in the USA so get stung on shipping (i'm not the only one), so combos at there current price are pretty much a no.At $20 i'd buy away happly.
post #20 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For me, the printing on the disc itself is completely worthless. I don't look at the discs, I watch movies.

Having a disc that will play in my HT AND in the van/bedroom is definitely worth a few $$ more, since the alternative is buying both HD DVD and SD DVD.

BTW, isn't this poll a duplicate......?
post #21 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Combos ONLY work if the SD counterpart (stand alone) is not produced. Having ONE disc with HD-DVD and SD DVD should be the ONLY thing hitting store shelves. Then I would buy the combos all day long, and know that the price would be probably about or LOWER than what an initial HD-DVD release is now.

So, if you want the combos to work, only release one version of it.
post #22 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I think having combos is an added benefit as long as I don't have to shell out big bucks for them but I would really hate to lose the artsy prints on the HD DVDs
post #23 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein View Post

So, if you want the combos to work, only release one version of it.

That's what I think their goal is, but to get there they do need to get production costs down so they can competitively price these combo-only discs and still make money. Give them time. I expect them to try it on a few maybe later this year.
post #24 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM

I actualy like combo's.
I get the Hd for me and the SD side for the kids to watch on the households standard def tv's.
I would be less picky on the combo's I purchase and much more likely to pick up more combo's on impulse if they were the same price as the regular HD's.
I'd also feel like I was getting the better value of the Sd version being an added value thrown in for free.
I dont free like Im cheap,just fruegal!
Amir,I read you're interview on he hidefdigest site with great interest.
You rock my man!
Keep up the great work,and long live HD-DVD!

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #25 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyMeister View Post

...I would really hate to lose the artsy prints on the HD DVDs

Maybe Universal can include a really nice insert with the combos in lieu of the cover art to (help) appease those who appreciate it (cover art)? After all, if they're going to charge $5.00 more, they may as well include an insert. (That's what I really miss on the HD DVD releases)
post #26 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Amirm:

I appreciate your contributions to the forum....but your the second person to start a poll on the same exact topic on the same day. Isn't having two polls counter productive?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795507

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #27 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimason View Post

I wish you could overlay a HD-DVD premium to SD disc poll. I am much less sensitive to a $1-$3 premium for a combo over a straight HD-DVD than I am to a $40 combo disc (like Fearless) compared to a $20 SD version. I have held off on a lot of purchases due to this opting to wait for Blockbuster/Netflix to carry them.

That would be an interesting poll! Do you want to create it? If not, I will create one in a day or so as to not confuse people which one is which.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #28 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikric View Post

Amir,I read you're interview on he hidefdigest site with great interest.
You rock my man!
Keep up the great work,and long live HD-DVD!

Thanks for the kind words and the feedback on this topic!

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
post #29 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I for one would pay a higher premium for the combo- IF the combo was the only SKU released day/date on new titles...

This would help promote HD DVD overall- I think Microsoft should offer incentives to encourage the studios to do this

I really like the idea of the combos being the only version available on new releases- ideally they should be $19.99-
post #30 of 251 Old 01-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well I purchased Superman Returns and pre-ordered The Departed, so I guess I'm in the $3-5+ section of the poll. I don't own a HD DVD player.

Cheaper is better, but I'm sure they will get to that point sooner, rather than later.
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page