Is Blu-ray taking the cake in new releases?? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eizenga13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: CO
Posts: 1,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Casualty View Post

I said it elsewhere. F--- patience. "Patience" is what will get this format killed deader than a graveyard. Blu-Ray is pouring new titles out left and right, and has managed to do so in less time than HD-DVD. "Would I rather have a quality release or the quantity?" One isn't proportionate to the other: while HD-DVD's PQ is often slightly better, it's not a difference-maker compared to the sheer numbers the other format offers.

Blu-Ray says "60% of our movies are crap but we have more?" You can't keep a straight face and tell me that Half-Baked, Beerfest, and The Wicker Man (this week's ENTIRE launch lineup) is quality filmmaking.


It is VERY clear that Sony has a fire under its ass as far as Blu-Ray goes. It can NOT afford to lose this format war. They're fighting like their existence depends on it, because at least a part of it does. Hell no I'll never buy a PS3, the system is a joke and the game lineup is pathetic; there's nothing they offer that the 360 won't match or surpass, and the Wii runs circles around it in terms of universal/pick-up-and-play appeal. However, I have zero qualms about buying a Blu-Ray player...once the price is reasonable.

Universal and to a lesser extent Toshiba have a totally lax attitude and don't seem to care. Hope they start to soon, because I'm not going to wait around much longer for them to do so.

I love the HD-DVD format like crazy, but this is really annoying. I guess we only hurt the ones we love, or whatever.


I agree with nothing that you wrote.

eizenga13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
polyh3dron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha21 View Post

that's not really saying much, is it?

It displays a 1080p image which is more than I can say for Toshiba's $500 offering which only does 1080i. The PS3 also supports HDMI 1.3, is the only BD player that internally decodes Dolby TrueHD and come the March update will be the only one to decode DTS-HD MA internally. The only reason I hesitate to call the PS3 the bst BD player out there is because some others have analog audio outputs for uncomressed PCM I believe whereas with the PS3 you need an HDMI receiver to experience the uncompressed PCM.
polyh3dron is offline  
post #93 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GmanAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
^^^ you are in the HD DVD Software forum so why are you remotely surprised in some of the poster's bias towards HD DVD ???

Please go to the BD Hardware / Software forums and do the PS3 promoting, HD DVD bashing there.
GmanAVS is offline  
post #94 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
polyh3dron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDSM View Post

All this talk about the PS3 being comparable in price with the HD DVD standalones is ridiculous. If I were looking for a Blu-ray player, I would probably buy it, but there is no way that the average guy walking the aisles of Best Buy is going to even think about buying a video game console to watch his movies.

It is just unbelievable to me how many people on here think that the PS3 would even be a consideration to the majority of people looking for HD content in the coming years. Yeah, it's popular right now with the techy types who are looking for the best bargain and want a BD player for the cheapest price without regard for aesthetics, but our demographic will not keep the PS3 alive forever. We are a very small niche.

First of all, the PS3 looks beautiful, and to me looks right at home with other CE gear in my rack. The "average guy" likes the Playstation brand, probably has a PS2 lying around to play Madden with his buddies. When the sales guy tells him that the PS3 is cheaper and plays BDs better than the standalones why would he pass that up? Plus he'll be able to play some really good games soon, so it would seem like a no-brainer for someone who doesn't own a 360 and is in the market for an HD movie player who is even mildly into games.
polyh3dron is offline  
post #95 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
911lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

^^^ you are in the HD DVD Software forum so why are you remotely surprised in some of the poster's bias towards HD DVD ???

Please go to the BD Software forum and do the HD DVD bashing there.

I dont think hd-dvd bashing is encouraged

interested in both formats!
911lad is offline  
post #96 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
tvine2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: vermont
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack View Post

It's best to have both formats. However, at the moment Blu-Ray has got almost all of the movies that I've been interested in.

yeh and crappy pq
tvine2000 is offline  
post #97 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

It displays a 1080p image which is more than I can say for Toshiba's $500 offering which only does 1080i.

1080i vs. 1080p is meaningless on 1080p displays. It doesn't matter if the display or the player does the de-interlacing, all the information is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

The PS3 also supports HDMI 1.3, is the only BD player that internally decodes Dolby TrueHD and come the March update will be the only one to decode DTS-HD MA internally

Are you actually going to try and convince us that HDMI 1.3 matters? Please show us where the HDMI displays and source discs are at, we would love to see them. And that lossless audio thing you are talking about? Ya, HD-DVD decks do that already but it's good to see you are so excited that BR is playing catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

. The only reason I hesitate to call the PS3 the bst BD player out there is because some others have analog audio outputs for uncomressed PCM I believe whereas with the PS3 you need an HDMI receiver to experience the uncompressed PCM.

No, go ahead and call it the best. It says a lot about the state of BR players.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #98 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
mrsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fettastic View Post

I guess you mean this?:

"We will be leaning on Universal over the next few weeks to see if we can get any details on the other 80+ titles that are coming this year. "

That doesn't say "Any day now we'll get the whole list" does it? They didn't promise anything.

And where did I say any announcements from Universal were unreliable?

Your comments right here suggest, at least to me, some sort of implication that Universal or HTF are fudging the release schedule or that it is otherwise unreliable. All the interview says is that in addition to the some-20 titles included there, that HTF would be seeking the balance of the schedule. Why, because HTF didn't "promise" anything, does that somehow mean they're not going to get the information? Sure sounds to me like you're suggesting this info is just not going to be forthcoming.

I'm sure different readers may get a different impression from your post but this is what I'm hearing. BTW, it's no secret that I have no love for any of the studios here in my native LaLa land, so I generally do take what they say with a grain of salt. But I don't think prospective release schedules coming from any of them are particularly controversial. The pattern over the years is that, for various reasons, some titles are added to release schedules, and some are deleted. So what?

Enjoy!

Milt R. Smith
mrsmith2002@yahoo.com
mrsmith is offline  
post #99 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GmanAVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ridgewood, NJ
Posts: 1,794
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911lad View Post

I dont think hd-dvd bashing is encouraged

LOL, trolling isn't either ...
GmanAVS is offline  
post #100 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
alpha21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: minn
Posts: 3,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

1080i vs. 1080p is meaningless on 1080p displays. It doesn't matter if the display or the player does the de-interlacing, all the information is there.



Are you actually going to try and convince us that HDMI 1.3 matters? Please show us where the HDMI displays and source discs are at, we would love to see them. And that lossless audio thing you are talking about? Ya, HD-DVD decks do that already but it's good to see you are so excited that BR is playing catch up.



No, go ahead and call it the best. It says a lot about the state of BR players.

My original point exactly.
And thanks for replying all the other info

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
alpha21 is offline  
post #101 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
XBRSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bay Area, Ca.
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

and the kicker - it ejects when I press the eject button on my Bluetooth remote.

The stupid addon doesn't open - instead the 360's tray opens. You actually have to scroll to "Open HD DVD tray" to open it. What the heck is the point of the remote then?

Forgive me if i'm wrong but don't you have to walk up to the system to remove the disc anyway?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

XBRSteve is offline  
post #102 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Member
 
polyh3dron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

1080i vs. 1080p is meaningless on 1080p displays. It doesn't matter if the display or the player does the de-interlacing, all the information is there.



Are you actually going to try and convince us that HDMI 1.3 matters? Please show us where the HDMI displays and source discs are at, we would love to see them. And that lossless audio thing you are talking about? Ya, HD-DVD decks do that already but it's good to see you are so excited that BR is playing catch up.



No, go ahead and call it the best. It says a lot about the state of BR players.

First of all, both BD and HD-DVD's media is natively encoded in 1080p. If it is interlaced and then de-interlaced there is a loss in quality, you can't argue that one. If an image is 1080p to begin with and is output in 1080p, no de-interlacing takes place. HDMI 1.3 may not matter at the moment, but having the feature is essentially future-proofing the PS3.

Calling the PS3 the best BD player actually is more of a compliment to how well the PS3 works, not because all of the other players are bad.

I call the PS3 the best BD player because of the quick load times and reliability of it, two things an HD-A1 user would envy. It's also better that most of the BD players in this aspect. As for picture quality of the players themselves, they all output digital signals so the PQ won't differ unless there's some post-processing going on which we usually don't want in these formats.

After my time with an HD-A1 you should not be saying anything bad about the state of BD players because that thing was so bad from my experience in terms of load times, freezing and stuttering.

I stumbled in to this thread from a link that was in a BD forum and I'll leave now because I've never seen so many irrational people on the AVS forum as I have here, it kind of reminds me of Iraq's Ministry of Information. Anyways, take care.
polyh3dron is offline  
post #103 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Member
 
booner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

First of all, both BD and HD-DVD's media is natively encoded in 1080p. If it is interlaced and then de-interlaced there is a loss in quality, you can't argue that one. If an image is 1080p to begin with and is output in 1080p, no de-interlacing takes place. HDMI 1.3 may not matter at the moment, but having the feature is essentially future-proofing the PS3.

Calling the PS3 the best BD player actually is more of a compliment to how well the PS3 works, not because all of the other players are bad.

I call the PS3 the best BD player because of the quick load times and reliability of it, two things an HD-A1 user would envy. It's also better that most of the BD players in this aspect. As for picture quality of the players themselves, they all output digital signals so the PQ won't differ unless there's some post-processing going on which we usually don't want in these formats.

After my time with an HD-A1 you should not be saying anything bad about the state of BD players because that thing was so bad from my experience in terms of load times, freezing and stuttering.

I stumbled in to this thread from a link that was in a BD forum and I'll leave now because I've never seen so many irrational people on the AVS forum as I have here, it kind of reminds me of Iraq's Ministry of Information. Anyways, take care.

We'll miss you.......so much.
booner is offline  
post #104 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Member
 
goceltics34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an HD DVD player now collecting dust, as I changed sides and purchased a PS3 after seeing my brother's PS3. (helped too that I just purchased a Sony KDS 60-A2000) My eyes saw the glory. That and the fact that Blu ray has a stranglehold on the studios. There are so many BD movies being released compared to HD DVD that it's a joke.

The PS3 blu ray player is top notch. The load time is quick and picture quality is amazing. For someone to say that the PS3 is not an excellent player is just hating. I used to be a hater, but now accept a format that will eventually reign supreme.

Since my purchase of the PS3, I have bought over 15 BD movies and will continue to build my collection. No more HD DVD movies for me. I just wish I never purchased the add on HD DVD player for my X Box and all those movies. What a waste of money.
goceltics34 is offline  
post #105 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Archipel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goceltics34 View Post

I have an HD DVD player now collecting dust, as I changed sides and purchased a PS3 after seeing my brother's PS3. (helped too that I just purchased a Sony KDS 60-A2000) My eyes saw the glory. That and the fact that Blu ray has a stranglehold on the studios. There are so many BD movies being released compared to HD DVD that it's a joke.

The PS3 blu ray player is top notch. The load time is quick and picture quality is amazing. For someone to say that the PS3 is not an excellent player is just hating. I used to be a hater, but now accept a format that will eventually reign supreme.

Since my purchase of the PS3, I have bought over 15 BD movies and will continue to build my collection. No more HD DVD movies for me. I just wish I never purchased the add on HD DVD player for my X Box and all those movies. What a waste of money.

Same here. Also when Motorstorm is out, my Xbox will be collecting dust also gamewise.
Archipel is offline  
post #106 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean_O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA.
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amazing how a thread like this lives on, yet a thread on Speilberg's upcoming HD DVD releases was locked. Compare the number of troll posts between the two, and also look at the thread titles and relevance to the HD DVD forum.
Sean_O is offline  
post #107 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
polyh3dron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

Amazing how a thread like this lives on, yet a thread on Speilberg's upcoming HD DVD releases was locked. Compare the number of troll posts between the two, and also look at the thread titles and relevance to the HD DVD forum.

Oh come on my posts were hardly trolling, they were all relevant to what others had said before me.
polyh3dron is offline  
post #108 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean_O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA.
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Oh come on my posts were hardly trolling, they were all relevant to what others had said before me.

I am sorry, but I was not implicating you personally in any way whatsoever. You are kind of pointing the finger at yourself here. I never made any allusion to you in my post. Sorry you took it personally, carry on.
Sean_O is offline  
post #109 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HPforMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


After my time with an HD-A1 you should not be saying anything bad about the state of BD players because that thing was so bad from my experience in terms of load times, freezing and stuttering.

I stumbled in to this thread from a link that was in a BD forum and I'll leave now because I've never seen so many irrational people on the AVS forum as I have here, it kind of reminds me of Iraq's Ministry of Information. Anyways, take care.

Well irrationality may be a two way street. I've had the A1 for 7 months and love it. Beautiful player, not fast but the sound and picture is second to none. I also have the PS3. Also, very pleased with it. But if you think that either of these players are perfect think again. Or at least honestly examine your remarks. they may indicate the kind of irrational fanboyism you seem to indict. I've had at least 8 momentary freeze ups with the PS3. They easily go away by pressing the pause button, but they're irratating (1.5 firmware). And looking at the other forum others have experienced the same.

Am I going to bad mouth the PS3? No because it is a very nice blu ray player and with PCM tracks through my Pioneer it's great just like TrueHD through my A1. And have I had momentary freeze ups with my A1 - yes. So it's a two way street which only people with a fair perspective can point out. I don't think your comments are fair nor as rational as you think they are.
HPforMe is offline  
post #110 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MauneyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Milwaukee suburbs
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

First of all, both BD and HD-DVD's media is natively encoded in 1080p. If it is interlaced and then de-interlaced there is a loss in quality, you can't argue that one. If an image is 1080p to begin with and is output in 1080p, no de-interlacing takes place.

Ummm.....you need to do some more research. BD and HD DVD media are encoded in 1080p/24. The vast majority of displays can only accept 1080i/60 or 1080p/60. From your post, it sounds as if you don't understand the difference.

Look up 'inverse telecine'. Then look for '2:3 pulldown'.

1080i/60 transmission over HDMI has plenty of bandwidth to handle 100% of the information stored in a 1080p/24 source. The only difference between 1080i/60 and 1080p/60 transmission is how many conversions take place, and where they happen. Either way, it's going through a conversion that is far more complex than a simple de- or re-interlacing between common frame rates. In fact, since many displays can only perform the inverse telecine starting with a 1080i/60 source (broadcast standard), they will convert the 1080p/60 input to a 1080i/60 stream as soon as they detect the film flag is set.

You're right, you can't argue it. You clearly don't understand the technology well enough.
MauneyM is offline  
post #111 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Member
 
flabingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Port St Lucie Florida
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the Sony Blue Ray unit and took it back in a week. The Picture is great but I am over six years old and don't want to watch the same cartoon three times a day for six months. I bought the new OPPO which is a wonderful machine with excellent customer sevice and they say they can upscale to 1080p. I think in six months there will be dual players at less than $1300. By the way the Sony Machine shipped without the necessary firmware update without which it was unwatchable. Not everybody has the equipment and knowhow to burn the necessary dvd.
flabingo is offline  
post #112 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rdjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 9,736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Just bought a Toshiba HD-A2 and been stunned by the PQ on HD-DVD. However, I am a bit frustrated on the availability of new releases on HD-DVD. I have Netflix and seems like 90% of the new releases are coming out in Blu-ray only!!@%#! What gives? Did I choose a wrong format?

Hi dandaroy -

You picked the right format, but this is a unique phase in the evolution of the two formats.

It seems that ongoing problems testing advanced IME content of new Bluray discs may be holding up BD releases from neutral studios like Warner - and perhaps as a result of them not wanting to be seen as favouring HD DVD, they seem to be reluctant to release the HD DVD versions either!

See this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=797524

And if possible, can you please add the link to your opening post. We'd like to open the discussion up and get to the bottom of this, as it seem to be hurting HD DVD releases...

There's also a poll on whether Warner should just get these titles out on BOTH formats now, rather than holding both formats back for additional interactive development.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=797764
rdjam is offline  
post #113 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Member
 
though's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabingo View Post

I bought the Sony Blue Ray unit and took it back in a week. The Picture is great but I am over six years old and don't want to watch the same cartoon three times a day for six months. I bought the new OPPO which is a wonderful machine with excellent customer sevice and they say they can upscale to 1080p. I think in six months there will be dual players at less than $1300. By the way the Sony Machine shipped without the necessary firmware update without which it was unwatchable. Not everybody has the equipment and knowhow to burn the necessary dvd.

though is offline  
post #114 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Member
 
evenodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

Did I choose a wrong format?

Yes...yes you have. I know I own both.

Sony SXRD
PS3
HD-XA2

Blu-ray- 54
HD DVD- 19
evenodds is offline  
post #115 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Senior Member
 
evenodds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Posts: 243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by goceltics34 View Post

I have an HD DVD player now collecting dust, as I changed sides and purchased a PS3 after seeing my brother's PS3. (helped too that I just purchased a Sony KDS 60-A2000) My eyes saw the glory. That and the fact that Blu ray has a stranglehold on the studios. There are so many BD movies being released compared to HD DVD that it's a joke.

The PS3 blu ray player is top notch. The load time is quick and picture quality is amazing. For someone to say that the PS3 is not an excellent player is just hating. I used to be a hater, but now accept a format that will eventually reign supreme.

Since my purchase of the PS3, I have bought over 15 BD movies and will continue to build my collection. No more HD DVD movies for me. I just wish I never purchased the add on HD DVD player for my X Box and all those movies. What a waste of money.

Agreed. I bought my HD-XA2 after I purchased my PS3 and the only HD DVD's I'll purchase are the exclusive ones. PS3 is just so much more convenient.

Sony SXRD
PS3
HD-XA2

Blu-ray- 54
HD DVD- 19
evenodds is offline  
post #116 of 181 Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Member
 
alkrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As much as the blu-ray camp may hate hd-dvd and the hd-dvd camp may hate blu ray I think we can all agree and hate the people that think upconverted dvds look just as good as either formate. Those are the people that really tick me off, almost as much as the guy that thinks that his old PSO sd crt tube's picture quality from a dvd looks just as good as as a sony 60inch sxrd xbr2 with a hddvd movie playing on it. Now those people are truely insane.

PS: Why does everyone think that sony is shoving bluray down their mouths, if anything universal and toshiba are trying to force you to buy hddvd. I mean just look at the amount of companies backing each side.
alkrio is offline  
post #117 of 181 Old 01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean_O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA.
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


As much as the blu-ray camp may hate hd-dvd and the hd-dvd camp may hate blu ray I think we can all agree and hate the people that think upconverted dvds look just as good as either formate. Those are the people that really tick me off, almost as much as the guy that thinks that his old PSO sd crt tube's picture quality from a dvd looks just as good as as a sony 60inch sxrd xbr2 with a hddvd movie playing on it. Now those people are truely insane.

So you hate people with less than perfect vision?

Quote:


PS: Why does everyone think that sony is shoving bluray down their mouths, if anything universal and toshiba are trying to force you to buy hddvd. I mean just look at the amount of companies backing each side.

That's exactly why it's viewed as "shoving it down mouths," because people clearly prefer the less expensive HD DVD format, yet the BDA and the studios aligned with them are trying to leverage their combined strength to force the customer into buying the more expensive format.

If all studios would publish their material on both formats, there would be no accusations of force feeding, and HD DVD would win it running away.
Sean_O is offline  
post #118 of 181 Old 01-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Senior Member
 
polyh3dron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

So you hate people with less than perfect vision?



That's exactly why it's viewed as "shoving it down mouths," because people clearly prefer the less expensive HD DVD format, yet the BDA and the studios aligned with them are trying to leverage their combined strength to force the customer into buying the more expensive format.

If all studios would publish their material on both formats, there would be no accusations of force feeding, and HD DVD would win it running away.

HD-DVD is not less expensive to the consumer. Toshiba sells their HD-DVD units at a loss just like Sony does with their PS3s. 90% of the upcoming Universal HD-DVDs are combo discs which I see for $30+ all the time. Most of Sony and Warner's BDs can be found for $20 if you know where to look. Blu-Ray does not cost the consumer more.
polyh3dron is offline  
post #119 of 181 Old 01-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Member
 
alkrio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

So you hate people with less than perfect vision?



That's exactly why it's viewed as "shoving it down mouths," because people clearly prefer the less expensive HD DVD format, yet the BDA and the studios aligned with them are trying to leverage their combined strength to force the customer into buying the more expensive format.

If all studios would publish their material on both formats, there would be no accusations of force feeding, and HD DVD would win it running away.

First things first, if you can't see the difference between SD, Upconverted and HD then I am sorry but you need to stop talking, heck just put on a pair of glasses you lazy bum. The difference between HD DVD, Blu-ray vs. an Upconverted DVD is (for me at least) like a jump from black and white to colour and if you can't see the difference that is just plain sad.

The second thing is where did you get the idea that people "clearly prefer HD DVD". As far as I can tell the movies are roughly the same price (innless of course you count those idiotic Warner combo discs, blah, 40$ Canadian for a movie no thank you). In regards too the cost of the play, The A2 costs 599.99$ (mind you I got mine for 299.99 which was the main reason I bought one) and the PS3 costs 699.99 (so 100$ more for the bluray player, one that has a tonne of extra features, such as the ability to play games, store music download movie trailers etc. By the way don't try to lay claim it's console not a player blah blah blah... lets be honest here that thing is great for movies and you can not deny that).

Finally my last point is that Blu-ray is technically the better format, the discs are more durable, and they can store much more information (and isn't that the most important part of a storage medium?) so wouldn't it make sense to support it? On one side you have a joint venture between multiple companies on the other you got two corporations that wish to collect licensing fees from their competitors gee whose forcing who to do what? Come on people Toshiba doesn't care about you why do you get so riled up about this, some of you guys are starting to sound worse then apple fanboys and that is something that is truly frightening.

PS: Yes I know I am going to get flamed, so my response to the next poster is: Hey look a puppy, run!
alkrio is offline  
post #120 of 181 Old 01-31-2007, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

It displays a 1080p image which is more than I can say for Toshiba's $500 offering which only does 1080i. The PS3 also supports HDMI 1.3, is the only BD player that internally decodes Dolby TrueHD and come the March update will be the only one to decode DTS-HD MA internally. The only reason I hesitate to call the PS3 the bst BD player out there is because some others have analog audio outputs for uncomressed PCM I believe whereas with the PS3 you need an HDMI receiver to experience the uncompressed PCM.

Very true indeed. And Blu-Ray has more studio support and has a larger lineup of movies that are coming out. It is a no-brainer to me that HD-DVD's Universal needs to release some of its big name films soon in order to compensate for the sheer number of BD's being released, even if many of them are simply filler mixed in with top tier titles like Pirates, Spiderman, Bond films and quite a few other releases which are comparable to Universal's E.T in getting people interested to run to the stores to buy them...Not to mention other Disney films including all the Pixar lineup which will definately shine on HD..HD-DVD needs to get its act together soon if not they will fall further behind. Also, Blu-Ray discs are not more expensive, they are equal in price as far as I can see when I go to Best Buy. Furthermore if Universals films will be 90% combo discs, wouldn't they be more expensive sitting next to most Blu-Ray exclusive titles? This is my 888 post, I had to make it special
Supermans is offline  
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off