Blade Runner HD-DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This year is the 25th anniversary of Blade Runner's release, and Ridley Scott is supposed to be putting together a 3 or 4 disc "Ultimate Edition" SD-DVD that will include THREE (3) different cuts of this awesome classic.

But what I am REALLY WORRIED ABOUT is if Blade Runner will get what I like to call the "Superman the Movie" treatment, and the HD-DVD will wind up being nothing more than an HD version of the single disc edition, while a superior package is exclusive to SD-DVD. I am hoping this will not happen, as I would love to be able to see all the versions of Blade Runner in HD, rather than just one version (most likely the Director's Cut that has been on DVD for ages). I would hate to get shafted by Warner and have to buy the SD-DVD AND the HD-DVD if I want both. The packages for each should be identical!

"Lifes a song you don't get to rehearse, and every single verse can make it that much worse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Three cuts would be mouth watering !!
Be great if they do that .
I saw it a the theatre when it came out . Would like the original cut at least ....

Bob
Have you all signed the studio petition ??

keep at it , results are worth it !!
post #3 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
At this point, we just don't know what is going to be released on HD.

Hell, they haven't even announced the date the Final Cut is being re-released to theaters. Very disappointing.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #4 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

At this point, we just don't know what is going to be released on HD.

Hell, they haven't even announced the date the Final Cut is being re-released to theaters. Very disappointing.

There is nothing disappointing about that. We're not even one month into 2007, so the anniversary year has JUST STARTED! Its not like they were supposed to release it in theaters January 1st, 2007 or something. It will probably be out between the summer and holiday seasons, if I had to guess. Though I'm not worried about that, I'll see it when it is released. I'm just worried that the Blade Runner HD-DVD will be day-and-date with the "Final Cut" edition on SD-DVD, but like "Superman the Movie" the HD version will just be the old Blade Runner DVD with better picture, rather than being the HD equivalent to the SD-DVD package. I'd rather buy just the HD-DVD and get all three versions, rather than have to buy both packages, as I'm sure many have done with the Superman 4-disc SD-DVD and Superman HD-DVD.

"Lifes a song you don't get to rehearse, and every single verse can make it that much worse"
post #5 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I will only be buying the HD DVD version. If the Final Cut only comes out on SD (which would be really stupid), I'll have to rent that to see it.

I really hope that after all the waiting and B.S. surrounding this movie, they do this one right and make all three releases the same.

Tim Vickroy

post #6 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

I am already under the assumption (no particular reason, just my own expectation based on what I've seen from many releases) that while the HD DVD version of Blade Runner will trump any single-disc DVD counterpart, there is a possibility that a superior DVD version will be released. Is this really a big deal? Well I know how much WAITING us BR fans (Blade Runner...stop thinking dirty) have had to do, but honestly they've been doing this to us with a decent chunk of movies...and usually it happens with the REALLY popular movies which have a market for box-sets and stuff like that.

So while it WILL be more painful if/when they do this to BR (vs other movies), just don't take it personally.
post #7 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I will only be buying the HD DVD version. If the Final Cut only comes out on SD (which would be really stupid), I'll have to rent that to see it.

I really hope that after all the waiting and B.S. surrounding this movie, they do this one right and make all three releases the same.

The problem is, many people prefer the original theatrical cut, while others prefer the "director's cut" (it actually isn't, since the "final cut" is the REAL director's cut). If only one version is released on HD-DVD, it will disappoint a lot of people who are not fans of whatever edition they choose to release. If it is the "fake" director's cut that has been on DVD since ever, then I will definitely be bummed, since I enjoy both that version and the theatrical cut for different reasons. I'm sure the Final Cut will be very well done, since it is the TRUE Director's Cut by Ridley Scott. I would just hate to have to make more than one purchase to get a "Definitive Experience" ya know?

post #8 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM

My gut tells me this will be out this year with both versions.
post #9 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Director's cut, True Director's Cut, Final Cut, Theatrical Cut.

My head hurts

WeÂre doomed. It will never work
post #10 of 131 Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

give it a year or two and a Unicorn's Cut will be released. I would prefer to have a branching version, realistically I won't watch 3 different full length versions
post #11 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrispy View Post

give it a year or two and a Unicorn's Cut will be released. I would prefer to have a branching version, realistically I won't watch 3 different full length versions

I suppose this is why Ridley Scott is calling his new cut the "Final" one. He's gone on record to say he never much liked the theatrical cut, and that last director's cut was a rush job that he was paid to do. Ridley has already proven he knows how to make a true director's cut though. Just look at and compare Kingdom of Heaven theatrical cut to KoD director's cut. Two different movies, seriously.

Its amazing how a different edit can change a movie and potentially make it better. I recently watched an re-edited cut of Attack of the Clones, and wow, it was like seeing it for the first time.

post #12 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_riginal View Post

I recently watched an re-edited cut of Attack of the Clones, and wow, it was like seeing it for the first time.

Was that the Jar Jar-less cut???

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #13 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 03:30 PM

I want the theatrical cut. I don't give a shyte about the other version/s. If we don't get it, I swear I'm going to buy a laserdisc player and the Criterion cut on LD.
post #14 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas View Post

I want the theatrical cut. I don't give a shyte about the other version/s. If we don't get it, I swear I'm going to buy a laserdisc player and the Criterion cut on LD.

I still have my Criterion LD since it's the best version of the movie on any format.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #15 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

I still have my Criterion LD since it's the best version of the movie on any format.

Exceptfor the ending, I have to agree that the Criterion LD is still the best version out there. At least for now.
post #16 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as the Final Cut gets released to HD DVD, I will be fine (even if it's the only version on HD). Since RS has said that this really is the definitive version, there's a good chance this is the one that will come out on HD.

What would be really stupid is if the DVD release sees all four versions of the movie and the HD release only has the '92 DC. Warner, for the love of all things sacred, please don't do this.

Tim Vickroy

post #17 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post

Was that the Jar Jar-less cut???

Funny you should mention that... he is in it, but has no dialogue!

post #18 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

As long as the Final Cut gets released to HD DVD, I will be fine (even if it's the only version on HD). Since RS has said that this really is the definitive version, there's a good chance this is the one that will come out on HD.

What would be really stupid is if the DVD release sees all four versions of the movie and the HD release only has the '92 DC. Warner, for the love of all things sacred, please don't do this.

This is the fear that caused me to start this thread. SD-DVD special editions and HD-DVDs that are day-and-date should be identical (except in PQ). Superman the Movie was horrible in that regard. If you wanted the theatrical cut of Superman, you had to get the SD-DVD, since the HD-DVD was only the extended cut.

post #19 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 13
oh, wasn't that The Phantom Menace known as the phantom edit...?
I know Clones had a shorter IMAX version cut that many said was better.

post #20 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The problem is, many people prefer the original theatrical cut, while others prefer the "director's cut" (it actually isn't, since the "final cut" is the REAL director's cut). If only one version is released on HD-DVD, it will disappoint a lot of people who are not fans of whatever edition they choose to release.

Exactly. If ever there was a movie that could prove to everyone that an HD-DVD Special Edition could be every bit as packed as a deluxe standard SE, this is it. Nothing less than multiple cuts of the movie will do with this film...

IMO I also like the theatrical cut the best and certainly hope that gets the HD treatment in particular! (but everyone ought to be able to choose which one they prefer).
post #21 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

I have only ever seen the 92 DC. I have no complaints with it (I think that it's another awesome Ridley Scott film), but I also do not have much to base it on as I haven't seen the theatrical version. Although, it would suck if the SD DVD version was the ultimate version, while the HD DVD version just included one cut.

2010 - In Jimbo I Trust. Go Noles!
2010 - If we had a real QB, the West is Ours. Go Niners!
post #22 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

there's also the original european cut (I had it on VHS) with extra gore!
post #23 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

oh, wasn't that The Phantom Menace known as the phantom edit...?
I know Clones had a shorter IMAX version cut that many said was better.

Yeah, same guy made the Episode II fan edit, and called it "Attack of the Phantom" and its a very nice edit of the movie, proving that just editing alone can be enough to save a movie from mediocrity! While there were some edits I didn't agree with, I can't argue that the movie just had a better pace.

Makes you wonder how the Blade Runner Final Cut will be like in theaters later this year.

post #24 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack View Post

there's also the original european cut (I had it on VHS) with extra gore!

Yeah I remember this cut. I believe it is among the versions to be included with the multi-disc SD-DVD coming out later this year! I particularly remember the eye gouge being very graphic in this version.

post #25 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM

This could be a great chance for WB to show off the iHD stuff.

There are 4 cuts of the movie.

1) The theatrical cut - Harrison Ford Voice over, no unicorn scene, tacked on happy ending.

2) The "European Cut" - Same as theatrical cut plus a bit more violence.

3) The "Directors Cut" - No voice over, unicorn scene, no tacked on happy ending.

4) The "Final Cut" - Hard to say, but likely a few extra scenes, maybe some cut..

They could put all on one disc by having a "main movie", two different sound tracks (with and without the voice over) and simply cut certain scenes in and out of the mix depending on the version you picked to watch.
post #26 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah I remember this cut. I believe it is among the versions to be included with the multi-disc SD-DVD coming out later this year! I particularly remember the eye gouge being very graphic in this version.

This was the cut on the CLV and CAV Criterion laserdiscs. Other extended scenes (besides the more graphic eye gouging) were:

Pris lifts Deckard up by his nostrils when she beats him up.
Deckard shoots Pris a third time; there are also more shots of Pris kicking and screaming when she is shot by Deckard.
Roy is shown while actually pushing the nail through his hand.

Good stuff
post #27 of 131 Old 01-30-2007, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

agreed, I liked it actually!
And considering how gory some of Ridley's later films were surprising that it was cut.
post #28 of 131 Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

This year is the 25th anniversary of Blade Runner's release, and Ridley Scott is supposed to be putting together a 3 or 4 disc "Ultimate Edition" SD-DVD that will include THREE (3) different cuts of this awesome classic.

But what I am REALLY WORRIED ABOUT is if Blade Runner will get what I like to call the "Superman the Movie" treatment, and the HD-DVD will wind up being nothing more than an HD version of the single disc edition, while a superior package is exclusive to SD-DVD. I am hoping this will not happen, as I would love to be able to see all the versions of Blade Runner in HD, rather than just one version (most likely the Director's Cut that has been on DVD for ages). I would hate to get shafted by Warner and have to buy the SD-DVD AND the HD-DVD if I want both. The packages for each should be identical!

Warner could put out a BD with all the cuts on one disc with the seamless branching. Can't do that on HD-DVD though.
post #29 of 131 Old 01-31-2007, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

Warner could put out a BD with all the cuts on one disc with the seamless branching. Can't do that on HD-DVD though.

Unfortunately Warner is coding all their movies for the HD DVD disc and then copying it onto the Blu-ray disc, wasting the extra 20GB of space. At least they included uncompressed PCM on their Blu-ray release of the Departed to make use of that extra space.
post #30 of 131 Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post

So no seamless branching on HD-DVD???
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page