Is Amazon prime worth the money for just ordering HD discs? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was thinking about geting Prime because I have been ordering alot of movies off of amazon lately, can anyone tell me if its worth the 79$? just for odering movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
That depends on how many movies you plan on ordering, and how you wish to have them shipped. UPS 2 day shipping is about $7 a pop. If you think you'll make less than 11 orders, or you don't care about how they ship, then don't bother.
It works for some, but not everyone.
J
post #3 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, totally worth it.
post #4 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:04 AM
nyg
AVS Special Member

If you plan on ordering a lot of discs within the next year then yes it's absolutely worthwhile. I love not having to wait for new discs. I know they'll arrive within a day of release everytime with Prime.
post #5 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm doing their one month trial right now, and it's nice, but i think I'm going to cancel before it automatically enrolls me.

I just don't like the idea of having to buy a certain amount of discs to get my money's worth.

Blu-ray = 775
post #6 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I love it, combined with the %10 discount from buying the 3 HD discs, it's the absolute cheapest place to get HD movies.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

post #7 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Free 2 day shipping + Christmas Time = Gold

Saved me a ton of headaches this year, I never once went to the mall.
post #8 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I had it when it was a 90 day free trial and then dropped it. I decided to reup when I needed to buy something else and the shipping was high. Even with shipping, it was cheaper there than anywhere else. So I would say if you don't want to use their free shipping, meaning you can order 1 disc at a time, and you think there might be other things you could buy from them, games, books, garbage disposals, then I think it is worth the money.
post #9 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 AM

I love it. Not really sure if it's worth the $79 as I can wait if I have to. But it's nice not having to spend $25 to get free shipping and it's nice to have guaranteed delivery dates.

Also, they had a promotion so I got a free DVD worth $29, so it ended up costing only $50. It's convenient, but not sure if it's completely worth it.

On the other hand, I find myself ordering a lot more through Amazon because I have it. I bought some books and CDs I could have gotten for a couple bucks less elsewhere, but just because I had free two day shipping, I went through Amazon. I'm not sure how they're doing with that $79 price point, but if they lowered it (or offer me a special renewal rate) I'd surely renew and spend even more money there.
post #10 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM

It's been worth it for me. I'd never explicitly pay extra for two day shipping otherwise. Also, if you order something that's in stock, they'll ship it in a day or so; if you go for the free shipping on $25-and-up orders, they'll wait a long time (~3 weeks?) before they ship.

I guess I hate to wait (but I can usually wait a few days for Amazon rather than the immediate gratification but absurdly high prices at most BM stores).
post #11 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm finding it worth it, and my goal was for HD-DVDs only.

Now, I'm finding other things I like and am getting them in 2 days.

Love it.
post #12 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaylisJayP View Post

i'm doing their one month trial right now, and it's nice, but i think I'm going to cancel before it automatically enrolls me.

I just don't like the idea of having to buy a certain amount of discs to get my money's worth.

They sell more than just discs you know.
post #13 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
CHG
Advanced Member

It is certainly worth it for me. I almost always get discs the next day, but I guess this would depend on where you live. If it is worth it to you, depends on how many discs you will be ordering and if you are willing to wait a couple extra days to receive them. They also seem to ship prime faster than their free shipping. Sometimes, their free shipping takes an extra day or two to ship. I do order a lot of other stuff from Amazon, as well. You may find with the prime shipping, you may order more, as well. At least, they hope you will.
post #14 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Yeah, it depends on how many discs you plan to order. If you order ONE, it will be like paying $79 for shipping. But if you order 79 discs in a year (which I do), then it's like paying $1 per disc for 2-day shipping. Good deal if you ask me. Plus I order a lot of other stuff especially around the holidays.
post #15 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr stroke View Post

I was thinking about geting Prime because I have been ordering alot of movies off of amazon lately, can anyone tell me if its worth the 79$? just for odering movies?

For me it's nice because then you can set it to mail as soon as discs are available instead of saving them up for one shipment.

I get TONS of discs shipped to me so I would have surpasssed that $79 a long time ago. But keep in mind the 2-day free shipping applies to other items as well. Want a new 70" HDTV tax-free? Get free 2-day shipping on it! That'll pay for it right there!
post #16 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 112
100% worth it for me! Amazon Baby!!!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Prime kicks ass. You'll find that you start ordering things from amazon that you wouldn't normally order just because you can get free delivery and no tax.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 12:32 PM

Honestly, it's so worth it! Getting movies the day after tomorrow is awesome. And people often forget, with Prime you also get $3.99 one day shipping! I ordered an HD-A2 last week and paid 4 bucks to have it the next day
post #19 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap View Post

Prime kicks ass. You'll find that you start ordering things from amazon that you wouldn't normally order just because you can get free delivery and no tax.

I agree 100% You can even order groceries and powertools. I pay for my Prime membership in about 2 months of use. If you see a dvd for $6.99 or some other small item you want, you don't even have to worry about shipping cost. Just order it. I just bought an awesome toaster - $19.99, no shipping cost, no tax and you have it in two days. Can't beat it!
post #20 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I use amazon a LOT, especially with the prime and 10% off. We find ourselves ordering stuff like cordless power tools and all kinds of funky stuff, because amazon stocks it.

-Josh Murrah
post #21 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 PM

Yes! I was very hesitant at first. I wasn't sure if I would come out ahead in the end, but once I started it I never looked back. Most HD DVDs show up on my porch on the release date with free shipping no sales tax (and 10% off) I will renew when it's time, without giving it a second thought. Free 2-day shipping is awesome, and $1.99 overnight is sometimes fun too. Also other family members with separate accounts are included!

Five-dollar HD DVDs effing rule.
post #22 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post

If you plan on ordering a lot of discs within the next year then yes it's absolutely worthwhile. I love not having to wait for new discs. I know they'll arrive within a day of release everytime with Prime.

??? How many discs have you ordered? Amazon doesn't have the best track record for shipping new releases on the release day. Maybe they've changed their ways recently.

I think Prime is worth it, but I had have to think about it for just HD-DVDs.

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
post #23 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post

??? How many discs have you ordered? Amazon doesn't have the best track record for shipping new releases on the release day. Maybe they've changed their ways recently.

I think Prime is worth it, but I had have to think about it for just HD-DVDs.

larry

I've only got a handful on order at the moment but I've ordered a couple dozen BDs from Amazon over the last few months and all new releases have arrived by the Wednesday or Thursday after street date. I expect to be ordering dozens more throughout the year. I can live with a 1-2 day delay because I do most of my movie watching during the weekend anyway. I've been very pleased with Prime. That said, when I used to use their free shipping method they took their sweetass time to ship the disc much less the time media mail takes.

PS: My order of The Departed BD shipped today so I'll have it Wednesday.
post #24 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM

I got my notice in email about 3oclock this after noon that The Departed that i preordered about 3 weeks ago will be here tomorrow. I have prime and paid the extra shippng for 1 day shipping. My wife loves it. because she get to see the movie on the day it comes out and dosent have to leave the house to get it. but she has netflix's also and plays the game where she losses the disc in the mail and they send the next one out right away

steve
post #25 of 42 Old 02-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Amazon Prime = Free 2nd day shipping+no sales tax. More then worth it. I buy most everything on Amazon and hopefully they start selling groceries soon.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #26 of 42 Old 02-13-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bro View Post

Amazon Prime = Free 2nd day shipping+no sales tax. More then worth it. I buy most everything on Amazon and hopefully they start selling groceries soon.

Amazon does sell groceries...

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing
 or the

post #27 of 42 Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Prime Rocks,I buy alot more than movies. I think I paid less than $1 for shipping(2day) last year on each order.
post #28 of 42 Old 02-13-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

Amazon does sell groceries...

Wow, just checked, they have groceries. So when I order my next HD-DVD, I can also pick up a six pack of beer and a bag of chips as my movie snacks.

No man leaves before his time - unless the boss leaves early.

Groucho Marx
post #29 of 42 Old 02-13-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by househusband36 View Post

I got my notice in email about 3oclock this after noon that The Departed that i preordered about 3 weeks ago will be here tomorrow. I have prime and paid the extra shippng for 1 day shipping. My wife loves it. because she get to see the movie on the day it comes out and dosent have to leave the house to get it. but she has netflix's also and plays the game where she losses the disc in the mail and they send the next one out right away

steve

There are many times when I order and Its supposed to be 2 day delivery, but I get it in 1.

post #30 of 42 Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I love the Prime as well. I find myself checking Amazon for other things first because I know I get free shipping.

Jeff

"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - Cicero
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page