National Geographic - Relentless Enemies Compatibility Issue On A2,XA2 and 360 Drive? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just recieved Relentless Enemies HD DVD on National Geographic, tested it out on my 360 HD Drive and it say's cannot read disc error. I thought to myself, thats weird, I also then tried playing the disc on my new XA2 and I get an 8 numerical code on the front of the player, and the disc fails to play. I al;so have an A2 and the same problem exists.

Funnily enough I do own an A1 HD DVD player also, tried the disc on that player and it worked perfectly fine.

Has anyone else had the same compatibility problem with the new next gen players? Do we need another firmware update from Toshiba and Microsoft or is this an isolated incident?

Any info is most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I only have an A1 and will have this today from two sources, Netflix and Amazon.com. I think I will watch the rental and then determine if I will keep it.

Did you watch the whole thing on your A1? If so:

How long is the movie?
How is the PQ and sound?
Is it a keeper in your opinion?

Thanks and I hope you solve the mystery of the disc not playing in the other two players.
post #3 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The firmware is newer in the 2nd gen players. Why would they have troubles that they 1st gen do not?

"We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
post #4 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 10:31 AM

Liked: 11
I hope it is only a bad disc... This HD DVD is on order for me to, and should be here this week. I have the xbox add-on...
post #5 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 11:28 AM

i watched this disc last night from Netflix. played fine on my A1. some of the shots are unbelievably sharp!

the program is about 90 minutes in length, narrated by jeremy irons. not a bad watch, overall. glad i rented it, because outside of demo material, i probably wouldn't revisit it anytime soon. i thought it was about different "relentless enemies", not just lions and water buffalo in africa. it was a good program, but a little bit long at 90 minutes.

if they release more titles, with varying subject matter, i might revisit it (i have a problem with collecting things).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Soderbergh's 'King of the Hill' on Blu-Ray.
That's all I want... Is that so much to ask?
post #6 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I only have an A1 and will have this today from two sources, Netflix and Amazon.com. I think I will watch the rental and then determine if I will keep it.

Did you watch the whole thing on your A1? If so:

How long is the movie?
How is the PQ and sound?
Is it a keeper in your opinion?

Thanks and I hope you solve the mystery of the disc not playing in the other two players.

It's 90 mins long, haven't had a chance to see the picture and sound yet, because I only got it working on my A1 which is setup to a poor viewing device.

Just to let you guys know, I have all the latest firmware updates for the 360 HD DVD Drive, and the new next gen Toshiba HD DVD players...

WARNER BROTHERS???

post #7 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM

If this works just like Discovery Australia, the only solution is to be a pirate. Add on + HTPC and DumpHD from Doom9 and then it will play.

I did try a new Australia disc and it made no difference! Come on toshiba, we need to be able to play these standard mode discs.
post #8 of 62 Old 03-28-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 576
I'm glad it's not just me having problems with Relentless Enemies. I had the same problem with my A2, XA2 and add on. While the A1 played it without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED BULLET View Post

I just recieved Relentless Enemies HD DVD on National Geographic, tested it out on my 360 HD Drive and it say's cannot read disc error. I thought to myself, thats weird, I also then tried playing the disc on my new XA2 and I get an 8 numerical code on the front of the player, and the disc fails to play. I al;so have an A2 and the same problem exists.

Funnily enough I do own an A1 HD DVD player also, tried the disc on that player and it worked perfectly fine.

Has anyone else had the same compatibility problem with the new next gen players? Do we need another firmware update from Toshiba and Microsoft or is this an isolated incident?

Any info is most welcome.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #9 of 62 Old 03-29-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejackaz View Post

If this works just like Discovery Australia, the only solution is to be a pirate. Add on + HTPC and DumpHD from Doom9 and then it will play.

I did try a new Australia disc and it made no difference! Come on toshiba, we need to be able to play these standard mode discs.

I haven't been able to get this to work with any tools at all. AnyDVD doesn't work (reports as NOT aacs protected for some reason), and the Doom9 tools can't get a key. (xbox 360 addon + powerdvd 7.1)
post #10 of 62 Old 03-29-2007, 05:38 PM

I'm having the same problem with my 360 addon... what a PIA.... i just want to watch this!!!

Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
Sony XBR2 Stand
Onkyo HT-S790 7.1 w/ Atlantic Universal Speaker Stands
Xbox360 Elite w/ HD-DVD Drive / Nintendo Wii / Comcast / OTA
HD DVDs: 70
post #11 of 62 Old 03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
AVS Club Gold

We'll probably need to wait for another update before we'll be able to play them.

LED DLP

post #12 of 62 Old 03-29-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

We'll probably need to wait for another update before we'll be able to play them.

waiting for updates make baby jesus cry

Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
Sony XBR2 Stand
post #13 of 62 Old 03-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I have an A2 and this won't play, i get the stupid code also. Has anyone gotten this to play on anything besides an A1?
post #14 of 62 Old 03-30-2007, 06:39 PM

As I understand the problem, somehow three Discovery HD DVD titles were authorized in the basic mode and all G2 and the xBox adaptor will not read HD DVDs authorized in Basic mode.

Not sure why it is different, but the G1 stand alone machines have code in them that permits them to pay disc authorized in wither basic or enhanced.

A firmware upgrade, version 1.5 will be out by the end of May to fix this so the discs will work fine once we get the next firmware upgrade.

-Robert
post #15 of 62 Old 03-31-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

As I understand the problem, somehow three Discovery HD DVD titles were authorized in the basic mode and all G2 and the xBox adaptor will not read HD DVDs authorized in Basic mode.

Not sure why it is different, but the G1 stand alone machines have code in them that permits them to pay disc authorized in wither basic or enhanced.

A firmware upgrade, version 1.5 will be out by the end of May to fix this so the discs will work fine once we get the next firmware upgrade.

-Robert

Is the May release for the A2 and the 360 addon? Or just the A2?

Sony 60" XBR2 SXRD
Sony XBR2 Stand
post #16 of 62 Old 03-31-2007, 07:29 AM

it's the same here, error code for this disc on the E1 and XE1 (same as A2 and XA2).

It's definitively not the disc, but the player that needs an update !
Let's all wait for a new software. update, 1.4 that is...

Greetings,

Nicolas

Enjoy HD-DVD - don't get Rayed !
post #17 of 62 Old 03-31-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

-Robert

Whats the difference between the 2 modes? Apart from not being able to play, do we see any differences in PQ?

Why aren't these issues thought of before hand?

post #18 of 62 Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

I am so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get an error code 4086 4203 and this is on a 2nd generation $500 player!!! According to Robert we have to wait for May for a firmware upgrade assuming this is the same issue as the three Discovery DVD's he is talking about. If this is a basic/advanced authoring issue, how the hell did Toshiba come up with the butt-backwards idea or releasing a 2nd generation player that won't read an HD-DVD authored in basic mode? Un-fuc*in believable!

Why does Toshiba/HD-DVD insist on nailing their own coffin shut? The only thing worse than a lack of titles are titles which are released and can't be watched.

BTW, did anyone else notice that HD-Scape DVD sampler got pushed back yet again?

Greg
post #19 of 62 Old 04-01-2007, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

And this has happend with the PS3 on BD. A title would play on every BD player except the PS3. You had to get a replacement disc for similar reasons. The HD DVD problem will be corrected with the next firmware update.

LED DLP

post #20 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
So are we getting an update for the 360 addon that will fix the issue?
post #21 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I think this problem may not be Toshiba's fault. Why didn't Discovery or NG check the disks to see if they played before they were shipped?
post #22 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I think this problem may not be Toshiba's fault. Why didn't Discovery or NG check the disks to see if they played before they were shipped?

Not sure about the Discovery titles (Thread title - National Geographic - Relentless Enemies Compatibility Issue On A2,XA2 and 360 Drive? ) but this plays fine on the A1.
As per a poster above, this title is awsome, i can't wait for more
post #23 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Get a grip people. You are on the "bleeding edge" and have chosen to be the guinea pigs that sort out these types of issues by purchasing brand new technology.

Relax.

Take a deep breath.

It will all be okay eventually.
post #24 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_in_SoCal View Post

Get a grip people. You are on the "bleeding edge" and have chosen to be the guinea pigs that sort out these types of issues by purchasing brand new technology.

Relax.

Take a deep breath.

It will all be okay eventually.

We understand that but this is affecting 2nd generation players, not 1st generation and first run discs.

With so few good documentary titles out there, having waited for two months for this title only to be disappointed is a major let down.

Gre
post #25 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 PM

This is being fixed with firmware 1.5, due in May '07.

-Robert
post #26 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is being fixed with firmware 1.5, due in May '07.

-Robert

Doesn't it seem really backwards that this wasn't included in firmware 1.0.0.0.0.0.0.?

Greg
post #27 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

I have an A2 and this won't play, i get the stupid code also. Has anyone gotten this to play on anything besides an A1?

It won't play on my A2 either (just updated my player to 1.3), and I also get that strange code (4086 4203). This makes me so mad that I can just spit.

Supporter of 3-D, so let's all play in harmony!
post #28 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 06:39 PM

I don't understand those saying "relax". If I go out to a store, and purchase an HD-DVD, is it too much to ask to have it actually PLAY like advertised???

I'm returning my unopened copy of Relentless Enemies tomorrow...it's ridiculous that I've paid for something that does not play as advertised.
post #29 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Matty View Post

I am so sick of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get an error code 4086 4203 and this is on a 2nd generation $500 player!!! According to Robert we have to wait for May for a firmware upgrade assuming this is the same issue as the three Discovery DVD's he is talking about. If this is a basic/advanced authoring issue, how the hell did Toshiba come up with the butt-backwards idea or releasing a 2nd generation player that won't read an HD-DVD authored in basic mode? Un-fuc*in believable!

Why does Toshiba/HD-DVD insist on nailing their own coffin shut? The only thing worse than a lack of titles are titles which are released and can't be watched.

BTW, did anyone else notice that HD-Scape DVD sampler got pushed back yet again?

Greg

Wow some people are not cut out to be "early" adopter! Since both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are less than 1% of the total DVD market we are still very early in this brand new technology. There will be some bugs along the way just be glad that some (like this one) can be address with firmware updates. Last year Toshiba worked very hard to resolve numerous issue with the first gen players. As more studios begin to release new titles there may be new issues to deal with. Hopefully things will stabilize going into the holiday season.

I would love to see this title and many more from National Geographic but we will have to wait until May for Gen 2 players.
post #30 of 62 Old 04-02-2007, 09:57 PM

About the update. Do you need a continiously on internet connection to get the update? I have a (slow) DSL connection, and I have to connect each time I boot up or log off.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page