Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1209 Old 03-03-2008, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyrocket786 View Post

They have a few sale prices, but nothing "firesale" worthy.

My guess is that prices may actually start to go up once some of the imports become hard-to-find.

I e-mail Tony awhile back and he basically said his HD sales are fine and will not "firesale" hd-dvds and will continue to stock imports so long as there is consumer demand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1209 Old 03-04-2008, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I was curious if anyone can give me a little assistance to an import newbie on a few titles that I want to get imported on HD DVD. I don't know if the first page is completely updated or not, but I did look at it first and I'm still worried about some titles. For example are the French Studio Canal releases the only titles with pitch issues? Are the German, Dutch, and UK titles have any major issues? I ordered T2 Ultimate coming out later this month and just got Equilibrium, so I need to grab a few before they disappear. I'm interested mainly in Saw (uncut) because I already have the other ones. Also interested in Running Scared, The Gift, 1408, Alone in the Dark, Under Siege 2, Bug, Death Sentence, Tristan + Isolde, The Last Legion, The Island, Leaving Las Vegas (UK release), The Jackel, and Total Recall (UK release). If anybody owns any of these can you please chime in about pitch problems or any other issues such as forced subs? Thank you in advance.
post #903 of 1209 Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

I was curious if anyone can give me a little assistance to an import newbie on a few titles that I want to get imported on HD DVD. I don't know if the first page is completely updated or not, but I did look at it first and I'm still worried about some titles. For example are the French Studio Canal releases the only titles with pitch issues? Are the German, Dutch, and UK titles have any major issues? I ordered T2 Ultimate coming out later this month and just got Equilibrium, so I need to grab a few before they disappear. I'm interested mainly in Saw (uncut) because I already have the other ones. Also interested in Running Scared, The Gift, 1408, Alone in the Dark, Under Siege 2, Bug, Death Sentence, Tristan + Isolde, The Last Legion, The Island, Leaving Las Vegas (UK release), The Jackel, and Total Recall (UK release). If anybody owns any of these can you please chime in about pitch problems or any other issues such as forced subs? Thank you in advance.

From your interest list I have:
- Running Scared (German version - get that one rather than the Dutch)
- The Gift
- Bug
- Death Sentence
- Tristan & Isolde
- The Last Legion
- The Island
- Leaving Las Vegas (I have Finnish, same as UK and French)
- Total Recall (French, same as UK)

Total Recall has the pitch issue, UK version is the same as French when it comes to disc content. None of them have forced subs. I understand Leaving Las Vegas has pretty bad PQ, I've yet to watch it though.

The Jackal and Alone in the Dark are Concorde releases so they are also free of pitch problems and have no forced subs. I actually have both of them on the way from Amazon Germany too (ongoing sales items).

With The Last Legion subs can't be turned off from the menu but they can be turned off by remote during playback without a problem.

You can currently import many of these very cheaply from Australia (Studio Canal releases, Universal releases in Australia) and many of the German ones are in sale in Amazon Germany too with cheap prices.

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
post #904 of 1209 Old 03-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

I think that was a one DVD deal.... sorry.
post #905 of 1209 Old 03-04-2008, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is CSI Maimi still coming in April?
I hope they dont cancel it OR release it on Blu on the same date.
post #906 of 1209 Old 03-04-2008, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
[quote=TreyS;13288360]Says product not found, maybe he ran out already.

Nevermind I see.
post #907 of 1209 Old 03-06-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think the PQ of Resident Evil Extinction was really good, even better than first day in the theater! I was suprised how some of the scenes seemed "out of focus" in the theaters with supposedly a brand new print, first time showing. Maybe my eyes need to be checked, but the HD-DVD did not have that hazy/fuzzy look at some points during the movie.
post #908 of 1209 Old 03-06-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I think the PQ of Resident Evil Extinction was really goor, even better than first day in the theater! I was suprised how some of the scenes seemed "out of focus" in the theaters with supposedly a brand new print, first time showing. Maybe my eyes need to be checked, but the HD-DVD did not have that hazy/fuzzy look at some points during the movie.

purely your projectionist sucked that day at the theatre.
post #909 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Whats the best price and place to import 1408 from?
post #910 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11
Can anyone advise on whether there's a "Pan's Labyrinth" release out there without grain reduction and with English subtitles? Is the UK release good?

Thanks!
post #911 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

How much did you pay for that Equilibrium (Rebellion)? I cant seem to get a decent price on an import for that one

Light a candle or curse the darkness
post #912 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Check hmv japan. I got mine for under $40 shipped back in January.
post #913 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Just got my Japanese version of Underworld from Tony at xploited. The True-HD soundtrack sounds awesome!
post #914 of 1209 Old 03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsps View Post

Can anyone advise on whether there's a "Pan's Labyrinth" release out there without grain reduction and with English subtitles? Is the UK release good?

Thanks!

I "think" the French release is the best, but I don't know where to get it or if it has english subtitles. I would assume all releases would have english subtitles.

I'm pretty sure the UK was better than the US also. There is a comparison thread somewhere with a few different releases.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...827529&page=47

Looking again, looks like the UK is better than the French and US.
post #915 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Asterix and the Vikings.
I've just received this one from www.cine-solutions.com and briefly had it in my player..
Price was expencive with the shipping.. 24.58€ for the movie without VAT(removed from the price after you select the country to send to), and 15€ for the shipping.. Total 39.58€.

The movie has 2 soundtracks, French and English. DTS-HD Hi RES appears on my player for both tracks.
They have provided 3 different subtitles, French, French for deaf and hearing impaired, and English.
The video encode seems to be VC-1..

This is a movie for those who enjoys Asterix, or have children that does.
post #916 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here are some links for those who might be interested:

http://www.doubleclix-blog.com/index...nd-the-vikings

http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #917 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

I was looking at getting "Enemy at the Gate" and it is noted that there is a might be a problem with this HD-DVD playing on A1s and the A3 series players. Does anyone have this movie and using the XA2? Does it play ok?

Thanks
post #918 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonH54 View Post

I was looking at getting "Enemy at the Gate" and it is noted that there is a might be a problem with this HD-DVD playing on A1s and the A3 series players. Does anyone have this movie and using the XA2? Does it play ok?

Thanks

No problem with the XA2 or the A20.
post #919 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM2006RI View Post

No problem with the XA2 or the A20.

Thanks
post #920 of 1209 Old 03-09-2008, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a list somewhere with Specs for Imports besides area-HD.de? Mainly what I want is specs for non-US releases that are also available in the US. Area-HD.de doesn't seem to have those, atleast the ones I want.
post #921 of 1209 Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 PM

I am about to order a bunch of movies off of amazon.de and I was wondering if anyone had successfully price matched anything after they had ordered. With all of the price fluctuations, I don't want to pay too much, but I also don't want to wait until they're gone or the price goes up. Thanks.
post #922 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannisto View Post

From your interest list I have:
- Running Scared (German version - get that one rather than the Dutch)
- The Gift
- Bug
- Death Sentence
- Tristan & Isolde
- The Last Legion
- The Island
- Leaving Las Vegas (I have Finnish, same as UK and French)
- Total Recall (French, same as UK)

Total Recall has the pitch issue, UK version is the same as French when it comes to disc content. None of them have forced subs. I understand Leaving Las Vegas has pretty bad PQ, I've yet to watch it though.

The Jackal and Alone in the Dark are Concorde releases so they are also free of pitch problems and have no forced subs. I actually have both of them on the way from Amazon Germany too (ongoing sales items).

With The Last Legion subs can't be turned off from the menu but they can be turned off by remote during playback without a problem.

You can currently import many of these very cheaply from Australia (Studio Canal releases, Universal releases in Australia) and many of the German ones are in sale in Amazon Germany too with cheap prices.

Thanks for your help. Some of those look worth the risk because I don't want to wait forever for some of those titles. I'll pass on Leaving Las Vegas, that one's depressing anyway and I have the DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronPalm View Post

How much did you pay for that Equilibrium (Rebellion)? I cant seem to get a decent price on an import for that one

I didn't care about the extra cost on Equilibrium because I cashed in on some fire sales to make up for a few imports. This is probably against the rules, but I got it at www.hmv.co.jp for $55.20 with the current exchange rate. It's worth it though because I can only imagine how far down the list this movie will be for Disney/Buena Vista/Dimension or whoever they want to release it under. I think the movie has more pop to it than the SD DVD and the dark sets look fine because most of that is director's intent and all. Either way I'm not regretting it anyway. I could play a few of those scenes over and over again. Yes I know it's not realistic for Bale to not get shot at all, but that's why it's entertaining. I'm going to grab one of the custom English covers and use one of my blank cases I bought new for backup and put the movie together right. Get it before it's gone. Good luck. Also who is waiting for the T2 Ultimate Steelcase from Germany? I saw the behind the scenes trailer for the menu and a few scenes from the movie and it looks great!! They included it in the Saw (unrated) HD DVD that I also just got the other day. I can't wait!! Long live my HD DVD players. I have two for backup now. LOL!!
post #923 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Just got my Japanese version of Underworld from Tony at xploited. The True-HD soundtrack sounds awesome!

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $10 over the DD+ German version??
post #924 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $10 over the DD+ German version??

The Japanese is also AVC. Where did you see the German version was DD+? Xploited and area-HD.de say it is DTS-HD Hi Res.

Dutch version is MPEG2 and English DTS-HD Master Audio.
post #925 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Ooops, sorry, you're right, it's DTS. What is AVC?

I'm just debating if the TrueHD version would be worth the additional $10.
post #926 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone order the new T2 Ultimate Edition (import) that was suppose to come out today?
post #927 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyS View Post

Did anyone order the new T2 Ultimate Edition (import) that was suppose to come out today?

Official release date is the 20th and the distributor has confirmed it will be released.
post #928 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

Ooops, sorry, you're right, it's DTS. What is AVC?

I'm just debating if the TrueHD version would be worth the additional $10.

AVC is a type of video codec. All my HD movies that use AVC look great. I can't decode DTS-HD, I only get the core. So AVC+TrueHD=

The German version uses VC-1 codec, and is reported to look great anyways. If you can get full use out of DTS-HD, it's probably not worth the extra for the Japanese. DTS core tends to sounds great anyways.
post #929 of 1209 Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Official release date is the 20th and the distributor has confirmed it will be released.

Thanks, don't know why I thought it was today.
post #930 of 1209 Old 03-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

I got my copy of Equilibrium from Xploited (apparently) right before it went out of stock. It is still sealed, havent gotten a chance to watch it yet. For those that have, is it that good of an upgrade over the SD version (which I own) or do you think I should just hold onto it as a collector's item? Before I recently checked this thread I had no idea it had suddenly gotten so scarce of an item.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page