post #991 of 1209 Old 03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

Les bronzes can be found on amazon.fr use your amazon.com sign on as it will work on all amazon. If I recall their are no english subs. Although I don't have that one

Thanks, but Amazon.fr does not have it any longer. Does it have French subtitles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1209 Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just a quick heads up. I got my UK copy of Motorcycle Diaries today, box claims Spanish DTS-HD and English Subs. The case is the thinner American HDDVD style.

Extras are:
Deleted Scenes
Cast and Crew Interviews
Featurette
Behind The Scenes
Alberto Granado Interview
Trailer

Will hopefully get to watch it and report back tonight.
post #993 of 1209 Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

L'armée des ombres might be tough to find at this point. You could try emailing tony over at xploited as he can import specail orders upon request. I got mine from amazon.fr a few months ago. Prehapps they will get it back in stock

Does it have English subtitles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltefanden View Post

Anyone know where L'Armée des ombres (The Shadow Army) is available? It is "indisponible" at amazon fr and FNAC

Amazon.de (German) has it in stock for 10.47 Euros (it's called Armee im Schatten in German). But Amazon.de has a flat rate shipping cost of 14.00 Euros, so you might need to pick up a few titles to make it worth your while.
post #994 of 1209 Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

No english subs or dubs. No subs at all for that matter on armee des ombres
post #995 of 1209 Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM

Found out it was actually released here in Denmark with Danish subs so no problem there Another film i'm lokking for is Crank extended cut but amazon.de says it's "out of print" so anyone know any webshop who has it in stock? I know xploitedcinema has it but it is a bit to expensive.
post #996 of 1209 Old 04-01-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, heres my thoughts on Motocycle Diaries:

Picture is a VC1 1080 encode but seems a bit soft and drained of colour. Shadow detail is good and quite a lot of film grain is present at times. I dont have the DVD to compare to so will leave final judgement on PQ to someone who knows what it looks like on DVD or at the theaters.

Sound is a decent 3.0Mbit DTS HD track with very clear dialogue.

Subtitles are the excellent very clear HDI generated ones. Menus are basic but fast, no playback problems on my XE1.
post #997 of 1209 Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 56
It's too bad the OP is not maintaining the info post, as so much has happened since 12/9/07.
post #998 of 1209 Old 04-02-2008, 03:14 PM

The order I placed back in March from HMV Japan for Band of Brothers ended with only 1 disk being sent out (#2 yesterday!) and then they cancelled the other 4 disks.

Dinged over $20 shipping sucks and I'll have to ship it back when it arrives. I ordered the set from Xploited since they still had it in stock.
post #999 of 1209 Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
If anyone cares, I watched Tristan & Isolde last night and overall it was a decent flick but sort of missed greatness, Im afraid. Solid story and acting but it just left me a little underwhelmed. I was actually more interested in the side story involving King Marke trying to unite Britan than I was the love story. Still though, not bad.... Im gonna give it another try and see if I will be keeping it or trading/selling it off. Heres a summary of the disc:

Overall PQ - 4 stars out of 5. Very good details, limited grain if any at all, nice blacks, no artifacting or processing. Good production values and scenery. 1.78:1 aspect ratio will limit the "pop" a little but its darned good even so. Great transfer!

Sound - 4 stars out of 5. I used the DTS-HD English track and was pretty impressed. Decent surround usage where warranted. Easy to hear speech but when the action demanded sound you got it. Very solid overall sound.

Movie Itself - 3 Stars out of 5. Like I said....decent and watchable but long term rewatchability is questionable. Im gonna try again and see but right now I cant give it more than 3 stars.

If you're a fan of the movie, then $26 bucks is an EASY purchase. The HD version is excellent... a "No-brainer" import purchase. Otherwise, try to watch the flick first.
post #1000 of 1209 Old 04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Good to hear, I actually liked this movie alot I'll pick it up. For what it's worth I've read that the Blu Ray version has major problems playing the extras on the disk, any problems with the HD version?
post #1001 of 1209 Old 04-03-2008, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw97000 View Post

Good to hear, I actually liked this movie alot I'll pick it up. For what it's worth I've read that the Blu Ray version has major problems playing the extras on the disk, any problems with the HD version?

Honestly, I didnt even try them but I suspect that all will be well.
post #1002 of 1209 Old 04-04-2008, 12:05 AM

I'm compiling a list of HDDVD's from other countries which have their counterparts in the USA which are Blu exclusive. Attempting to make a very comprehensive list. All help will be appreciated. (Also needing to add the country of origin for the HDDVD release.)

Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Resident Evil (Japan, Germany)
Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Resident Evil: Extinction
Underworld
Underworld (Director's Cut)
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
THE FOG (1980)
Reign of Fire
GHOST RIDER
TOTAL RECALL
RAMBO
RAMBO: First Blood Part II
RAMBO III
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Reservoir Dogs
Basic Instinct
SAW {Personally uninterested}
SAW III {Personally uninterested}
The Graduate
xXx
The Prestige
Alone in the Dark

Zero Interest in all things Harry Potter. Digital Copy can go screw itself.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! No more DNR/EE for film transfers!
post #1003 of 1209 Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Crikey Newbie!

There is a sticky on this very subforum regarding imports:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855923

Any reason you had to post this twice??
post #1004 of 1209 Old 04-04-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand View Post

Crikey Newbie!

There is a sticky on this very subforum regarding imports:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=855923

Any reason you had to post this twice??

Just so you happen to know, I posted the other one in the Blu-ray sub-forum. Not all of the titles in the Import thread would've been Blu-ray exclusive in the USA if HD DVD was still being manufactured. Or said titles might've been released here.
What the hell is your problem with me? Just because I have a low post count on here doesn't mean I'm a ****ing idiot. Get off my case.

post #1005 of 1209 Old 04-05-2008, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got another UK exclusive today; Sexy Beast. Box claims English DTS-HD and English Subs. The case is the thinner American HDDVD style.

Extras are:
Commentary with Ben Kingsley & Jerry Thomas
Behind The Scenes Featurette
Trailers

Will hopefully get to watch it and report back in the next few days.
post #1006 of 1209 Old 04-05-2008, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
It's too bad the first post hasn't been updated since December.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #1007 of 1209 Old 04-05-2008, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Some thoughts on Sexy Beast:
PQ is a very good; VC1 encode
DTS-HD Hires track is excellent with plenty of bass

Highly Recommended
post #1008 of 1209 Old 04-06-2008, 07:05 PM

Pertaining to Enemy at the Gates/Stalingrad:
(copy/pasted from Xploited.)
"IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING THIS RELEASE - Apparently there are playback issues with Toshiba HD-A1/X1 players and Toshiba HD-A3, HD-A30 and HD-A35 players. For now if you have one of these players it is strongly suggested NOT to buy this DVD since it will not play. If we receive more information regarding playback issues with this DVD we will include that information here."

Since I own a 360 add-on, should I buy this or...? I could just ask Tony.

post #1009 of 1209 Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post

Pertaining to Enemy at the Gates/Stalingrad:
(copy/pasted from Xploited.)
"IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING THIS RELEASE - Apparently there are playback issues with Toshiba HD-A1/X1 players and Toshiba HD-A3, HD-A30 and HD-A35 players. For now if you have one of these players it is strongly suggested NOT to buy this DVD since it will not play. If we receive more information regarding playback issues with this DVD we will include that information here."

Since I own a 360 add-on, should I buy this or...? I could just ask Tony.

i have this disk did not know about problems till i got it and it would not play in my LG blu-tay/hd-dvd drive. I have the xbox 360 add-on i will try later. I seem to be having the same problem with renaissance also. Hopefully the xbox 360 add-on will work.
Anybody have an idea why there are problems with these disks?
post #1010 of 1209 Old 04-07-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the 360 ad-on uses the A1's drive I belive. So using those discs could be very risky. I imported a Pathe title and it didn't work till the new firmware came. So I had to wait 2 more weeks to even watch a movie. Well at least it worked as I was on the verg of getting a newer player
post #1011 of 1209 Old 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

i have this disk did not know about problems till i got it and it would not play in my LG blu-tay/hd-dvd drive. I have the xbox 360 add-on i will try later. I seem to be having the same problem with renaissance also. Hopefully the xbox 360 add-on will work.
Anybody have an idea why there are problems with these disks?

The explanation I saw some time ago was that it didn't play on the A1/XA1 because those players never existed in Europe (they started with equivalents of the North American A2/XA2), so the studio could not test the disc for compatibility. But obviously with playback issues on the 3rd Gen players & now the LG dual player, there's something more than that. I beleive Pathe (the studio) has a disc exchange program if you contact them, but then hopefully they still have replacement stock.

Hope it plays on you 360 add-on. I don't think those drives are the A1's - the A1 & Xa1 drives weren't built by Toshiba (I think by NEC), all the players since have used Toshiba made drives. I just ordered Enemy at the Gates/Stalingrad from Xploited as Amazon.fr is already out of stock. Shouldn't be any playback problems on my XA2.
post #1012 of 1209 Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 AM

Is it possible to buy Underworld evolution Polish version HD-DVD anywhere on the web except from Poland? I can't find it anywhere except from few Polish web sites. I doubt they ship to US and shipping would be hefty anyway.

I'm not happy with Spanish version, some extras dubbed into Spanish and questionable workaround with subtitles, DD 5.1+ only. Polish version comes with DTS HD 5.1 plus all subs are removable.
post #1013 of 1209 Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post

I beleive Pathe (the studio) has a disc exchange program if you contact them, but then hopefully they still have replacement stock.

I emailed them last week and still have not heard anything back yet....they may be out of stock.
post #1014 of 1209 Old 04-10-2008, 07:41 AM

Just found some more sales,

Amazon France
euro12.50 each
Island
Ghost Rider
Prestige
Curse of Golden Flower

Amazon-UK
Sales on many Univerisal titles, between 5 to 8 pounds each
(but most properly not worth to import to US... I have been keeping eyes on Warner title. I would like to get the 2-disc Harry Potter/order of Phoenix if price is right...)
post #1015 of 1209 Old 04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post

Is it possible to buy Underworld evolution Polish version HD-DVD anywhere on the web except from Poland? I can't find it anywhere except from few Polish web sites. I doubt they ship to US and shipping would be hefty anyway.

I'm not happy with Spanish version, some extras dubbed into Spanish and questionable workaround with subtitles, DD 5.1+ only. Polish version comes with DTS HD 5.1 plus all subs are removable.

Sorry, this is not an answer to your question.

The workaround for the subtitles on the Spanish release works and is quite simple. I own the disc. Also, the sound is very good. I really doubt you would even notice a difference with a DTS-HD track, if there even is a difference. However, I can't say for sure, as I don't own the Polish disc to compare. Have you heard about the PQ from the Polish disc? I haven't but the Spanish disc is reference quality so that is something else to consider.
post #1016 of 1209 Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

I also noticed Bridge to Terabithia FRANCE also on sale.
But it seems like postage is a killer at 15EU minimum (to the Pacific). Is that true?

ps. does the Tristan and Isolde (DUTCH releases in general) have English language covers (summary on back) and movie menu?

Ditto for the French titles in terms of movie menu?

Thanks

Serving IMHD, IMConnect, FAVIA
post #1017 of 1209 Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo View Post

I also noticed Bridge to Terabithia FRANCE also on sale.
But it seems like postage is a killer at 15EU minimum (to the Pacific). Is that true?

ps. does the Tristan and Isolde (DUTCH releases in general) have English language covers (summary on back) and movie menu?

Ditto for the French titles in terms of movie menu?

Thanks

Bridge to Terebinthia has English language and removable subs as well as Tristan and isolde (Dutch) the same. Just make sure that when ordering stuff to try and get a large enough order together that it doesn't eat you alive in shipping. Amazon Germany is a flat 14 Euro no matter how many discs you order, The french amazon fluctuated but that 1st disc is the killer. The dutch discs seem to be a flat 17 Euro for shipping from bol.com
post #1018 of 1209 Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:

The workaround for the subtitles on the Spanish release works and is quite simple. I own the disc. Also, the sound is very good. I really doubt you would even notice a difference with a DTS-HD track, if there even is a difference. However, I can't say for sure, as I don't own the Polish disc to compare. Have you heard about the PQ from the Polish disc? I haven't but the Spanish disc is reference quality so that is something else to consider.

I disagree about simplicity of workaround because some players are known not to work even with that workaround plus you have to do the same procedure for every extras on the disc which is tiresome and bothersome. When I think about buying this edition I think about replacing domestic SD version and if I can't watch extras or have to play some "workarounds" then it's not going to happen. Even SD picture looks fabulous with full set of extras plus I have comic book as well. Paying $40 just for movie with "workaround" just doesn't make much sense to me. Polish edition doesn't require any workaround, includes better audio (DTS is superior to similar DD codec) and it has all extras. I didn't find a single review of Polish version so I can't comment on PQ. They advertise it as full 1080p HD so PQ shouldn't be a problem.

Latest info: I have found 3 Polish web sites selling it but on one of them price is 100zl+28zl S&H which is about $60. It is out of the question!

Just to inform everyone that DFW discs are in full OAR. I read some reviews of their Dutch releases and found that although on every release it is written 1:1.78 it is actually OAR, usually 1:2.40. It seems that Dutch folks are not familiar with these terms so they think that all widescreen HD releases should be labeled 1:1:78. You can buy them safely.
post #1019 of 1209 Old 04-11-2008, 03:05 AM

Just wondering if there is any further news on The Mist release in Germany. Thanks.
post #1020 of 1209 Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_c View Post

I emailed them last week and still have not heard anything back yet....they may be out of stock.

What's the email??

I tried playing Stalingrad in my EP-35 and it didn't work
it came a message saying it wasn't in DVD format
go figure

HD DVD 300+
BD 500+
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page