Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com - Page 16 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which internet movie rental company is the best when it comes to renting HD movies?
Netflix 863 78.24%
Blockbuster.com 207 18.77%
Other 33 2.99%
Voters: 1103. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #451 of 497 Old 12-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Thats not my problem let them go out of business could care less.Just be up front Unlimited with a few catches or limitations

I can agree with that. I personally would like a meter on a web page where I can see if I am approaching being throttled so that I have a clear guide as to how quickly to return movies. Without that, I think I would like a hard cap on movie rentals around 14 or 15 a month. But if it was a published list of prices for max movies a month, I would be able to make an informed decision on what price/service to buy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 497 Old 12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riblet View Post

I can agree with that. I personally would like a meter on a web page where I can see if I am approaching being throttled so that I have a clear guide as to how quickly to return movies. Without that, I think I would like a hard cap on movie rentals around 14 or 15 a month. But if it was a published list of prices for max movies a month, I would be able to make an informed decision on what price/service to buy.

Thats all I would want almost all company's have so many hidden loop holes now days you have to have a law degree to figure out the contracts.There just not much protection for the consumer any more just look at all the false advertising on TV.

Have a happy holidays meant to say Merry Christmas but we don't even know if that is appropriate anymore.
post #453 of 497 Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

Thats all I would want almost all company's have so many hidden loop holes now days you have to have a law degree to figure out the contracts.There just not much protection for the consumer any more just look at all the false advertising on TV.

Have a happy holidays meant to say Merry Christmas but we don't even know if that is appropriate anymore.

There are plenty of people with law degrees that can't figure out the contracts. That's why you see lawyers disagreeing and arguing it out in court. BTW, does anyone know if the terms of service policy cited in previous posts was in effect before Netflix got sued over throttling?

Overall, I have been very satisfied with the service I get from Netflix. I have the three at a time plan but on average I only get a chance to watch eight or nine movies a month.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #454 of 497 Old 12-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye911 View Post

BTW, does anyone know if the terms of service policy cited in previous posts was in effect before Netflix got sued over throttling?

That is the policy established after they were sued.
post #455 of 497 Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Over one year with Netflix and have never been throttled. I am very pleased with there service.
post #456 of 497 Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 PM

Been a customer of Netflix for over 3 years now and started renting HD DVDs for the past month. I'm still a happy customer.
post #457 of 497 Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD 335 View Post

Been a customer of Netflix for over 3 years now and started renting HD DVDs for the past month. I'm still a happy customer.

DITTO
post #458 of 497 Old 01-03-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Did anyone receive any new releases in HD this week and if you did then where did you receive the rentals?
post #459 of 497 Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any speculation on how WB announcement will impact NETFLIX or BB?
post #460 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Advanced Member

My speculation (expectation!) is that Netflix will carry whatever the movie studios produce, including carrying both HDDVD and BluRay. The system is already in place, costing next to nothing (excepting purchase price) to continue to carry new titles in both formats.
post #461 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 07:39 AM

[quote=Riblet;12512377]I do not understand something, I was hoping you could clear up. You have non-HD-DVDs in your queue, are you getting those instead of HD-DVDs? Secondly, how many X-at-a-time are you paying for, and how many movies have you returned in the last two months?

Me too in spades. I started to just copy this complaint and take it for my own.

All was well in the beginning and I was very happy. Now I can't seem to get anything out of these people. I am on the three at a time plan but it turned into zero at a time but I still get charged.

I do get a lot of HD DVDs and Blu-Rays, or I should say do order a lot. But even the SDs are few and far between on delivery.

Does it help to call these people AND ask for at least a fair break on standing in line?? Can I talk to someone in unadulterated English?? I know someone gets movies, don't they??

Or should I just sack them and go ahead and get my stuff locally at the Hollywood Video??
post #462 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I returned my movies to Blockbuster a week ago, and nothing has been shipped to me yet. Also, Blockbuster site has been down for quite some time, which I've never seen before. Hope they arent going out of business yet
post #463 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaxon View Post

...All was well in the beginning and I was very happy. Now I can't seem to get anything out of these people. I am on the three at a time plan but it turned into zero at a time but I still get charged.....

Take a look at your rental history on the NetFlix website. Count how many movies Netflix has received from you in the last 60 days, and let us know. Thanks.
post #464 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladi123456 View Post

I returned my movies to Blockbuster a week ago, and nothing has been shipped to me yet. Also, Blockbuster site has been down for quite some time, which I've never seen before. Hope they arent going out of business yet

I just noticed today that the site is down. Does anyone know how long it's been like that?
post #465 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's been down all day.
post #466 of 497 Old 01-07-2008, 01:42 PM

My issue with Netflix is that being a "Heavy User" I am last in line for the new releases. From what I hear it's still better than BBuster
post #467 of 497 Old 01-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe1972 View Post

My issue with Netflix is that being a "Heavy User" I am last in line for the new releases. From what I hear it's still better than BBuster

If you continue to rent at the exact pace you rent now, but pay for a higher X-at-a-time rate, you will be able to get new releases just fine. The issue is not the amount you rent, but what you pay for what you rent. Add $6 a month more to your fee (keeping rental rate the same), and you will get the new movies without issue.
post #468 of 497 Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I returned 3 movies early Sat., and nothing has shipped as of today. If nothing ships out this evening, I'll be forced to cancel. Why is BB having this issue again, I've went through this with them before!
post #469 of 497 Old 01-08-2008, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickersonjr View Post

Well I returned 3 movies early Sat., and nothing has shipped as of today. If nothing ships out this evening, I'll be forced to cancel. Why is BB having this issue again, I've went through this with them before!

This is the second time in the last two months that Blockbuster has done this. What I did the last time - I wrote an email to Customer Service and told them that since they took a week to send me the next available movies - I feel that they owe me at least two free coupons for movie rentals at my local Blockbuster, which they emailed me right away. I'm working on a similar email today. I just really don't want to switch to Netflix - their service was soo horrible back when I was a customer - I'm still hesitant
post #470 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Even in the post-Christmas gift-giving season, I am having no trouble getting new releases from the Greensboro distribution center for Netflix. I keep my returns to no more than 12 in any given four week period, and I am on the 3-at-a-time plan. If any others are having problems, list your distribution center, your X-at-a-time plan, and count how many returns you have been doing in the last four weeks. (and drop back one week, count four weeks again, etc.). I have been concerned that Netflix might change thier thottling rates with a large influx of new renters, but it has not yet been the case at my distribution center.
post #471 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NETFLIX has continued to send me new releases. Last week I received 3:10 to Yuma in BR, Resident Evil: Extinction in BR, and Sunshine in BR. This week I received Good Luck Chuck in BR, Mobsters in HD DVD, and White Noise 2 in HD DVD. NETFLIX did skip over Mr. Woodcock in my queue but besides that I have no complaints.
post #472 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Congrats on your continued success with Netflix.

You are the only one on this forum that seems to have no trouble getting HD movies.

I have not received a BD or HD-DVD in 3 months. Still waiting on Next since it came out back in September and it still has me listed as short wait. Other HD movies in my queue are all long wait to very long wait. I have a distribution center 50 miles away as the crow fly's and the entire population of NM is only 1.5 Mil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

NETFLIX has continued to send me new releases. Last week I received 3:10 to Yuma in BR, Resident Evil: Extinction in BR, and Sunshine in BR. This week I received Good Luck Chuck in BR, Mobsters in HD DVD, and White Noise 2 in HD DVD. NETFLIX did skip over Mr. Woodcock in my queue but besides that I have no complaints.

post #473 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I use BOTH NETFLIX and BLOCKBUSTER ON LINE cuz they
both have their pros and cons.

NETFLIX tends to ship more quickly -- one day -- WHEN they
ship . .

but OF LATE BLOCKBUSTER has been better about shipping
new releases in HD and BR.

As of today my NETFLIX queue has more HD/BR titles
listed as LONG WAIT or VERY LONG WAIT while my
BLOCKBUSTER queue has the same titles as SHORT WAIT

IE: today THE ROCK was "available" from BB and VERY LONG WAIT from NF

This is of course fairly subjective but as a rule NETFLIX is ships
faster - one day -- with longer waits for titles and BLOCKBUSTER is the opposite -- one or two days.

AND NETFLIX tends to only ship some of the available titles IE if i have four films returned
and at least four titles available they will ship two titles and say the other two will be shipped
"tomorrow"

Also, BB is much less picky about defective and lost in the mail discs.

BB tends to offer more versions of more titles and they LIST all the versions they
offer with the release dates . I LOVE that. Whereas, NF tends to NOT offer, say, the
"Newest Special Edition Directors Cut" they tend to ONLY stock one version. I HATE that.
This is a BIG ADVANTAGE for BB.

But then BB sometimes has odd lapses in what they stock; as of today
BLADE RUNNER is not stocked in HD or BR and SUNSHINE on BR is listed as COMING SOON
To be fair, I got SUNSHINE on BR from NF the day it came out.

NF seems to have a "Catch 22" restriction on everything.

So, yeah, neither is perfect.

Film Is NOT DEAD -- it is the Gold Standard against which all other formats are measured

Support ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO
post #474 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I returned 3 HD DVDs to Blockbuster last Saturday the 12th. The same day (Sat) I put two Netflix HD DVD in the mail to the distribution center 60 miles away. On Tuesday the 15th I received two more Netflix movies in the mail.

To this day, 5 days after Blockbuster showed "Received at Store" on my account, they have yet to send anything. This is why they are being canceled.
post #475 of 497 Old 01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Netflix out of Denver sucks! Still waiting on new releases. Heck not new anymore.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #476 of 497 Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I find the trick to getting new releases is mailing my movies back on Friday morning. When I do this then NETFLIX mails me the new releases on Monday and I receive the new releases usually on Tuesday. Has anyone had a similar experience? I realize that the mailing dates may be different depending on where you live in relation to your distribution center. Thanks.

I have also found that BB is very slow at mailing me a new movie after I have returned my on-line rental to the store. Has anyone experienced this?
post #477 of 497 Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Het Geaux Tigers!! Did you make it to the ship? I was there, man! Awesome game for Tiger fans!

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #478 of 497 Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

Het Geaux Tigers!! Did you make it to the ship? I was there, man! Awesome game for Tiger fans!

But not for us Buckeye fans. Congratulations on your Championship.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #479 of 497 Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

I was there and had a great time. Buckeye911, Ohio State had a great year and you should have a solid team for next year.

I hope that Fox sells the game in high def as I will definitely purchase the game. I started a thread asking for the BCS games to be released in high def but unfortunately one of the mods moved the thread to another thread where my thread had zero chance of gaining traction.

To keep this thread on topic, I encourage NETFLIX and BB to demand that the BCS games be distributed in high def.
post #480 of 497 Old 01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

I was there and had a great time. Buckeye911, Ohio State had a great year and you should have a solid team for next year.

I hope that Fox sells the game in high def as I will definitely purchase the game. I started a thread asking for the BCS games to be released in high def but unfortunately one of the mods moved the thread to another thread where my thread had zero chance of gaining traction.

To keep this thread on topic, I encourage NETFLIX and BB to demand that the BCS games be distributed in high def.

Great idea. I have a DVD of Ohio State's 2002 national championship over Miami in the Fiesta Bowl. I've watched it many times, it sure would be nice to have it in HD.

Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page