Netflix vs. Blockbuster.com - Page 17 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Which internet movie rental company is the best when it comes to renting HD movies?
Netflix 863 78.24%
Blockbuster.com 207 18.77%
Other 33 2.99%
Voters: 1103. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #481 of 497 Old 01-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recorded the game in HD on both my computer and Verizon Fios HD-DVR. Now I need to install an HD-DVD burner or a Blu-Ray burner to keep it. Still, I can send this to my projector, so it's pretty cool to watch.

Ohio State fans, you had a great year, but you guys can now start referring to LSU as tLSU!

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 497 Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received The Game Plan in Blu-ray today. NETFLIX is sending me Channels in HD DVD from Santa Anna, CA and Timecop in HD DVD from Denver, CO. Both titles are scheduled to ship tomorrow. This is the first week that I will be receiving 2/3 of my movies from a location other than my distribution center of Baton Rouge, LA. The titles Breaker Morvant and Mr. Woodcock show a Very long wait status in my queue and SAW IV shows a short wait status.

I mailed all of last week releases back to NETFLIX (Baton Rouge, LA) but they reported that they only received one of the movies on Monday of this week and the other two on Tuesday. This caused me to have a longer wait on some of the titles I wanted.

I would prefer to get everything I want in life when I want it ,but all in all I am still pleased with NETFLIX. However, their service can definitely improve just like any other service provider.

I still prefer NETFLIX over BB from personal experience but I hope that both services improve. I hope that the longer queues indicate that more users are renting their movies in HD.
post #483 of 497 Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If you use both NETFLIX and BB then please let us know how you believe the two compare. Thanks.
post #484 of 497 Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

If you use both NETFLIX and BB then please let us know how you believe the two compare. Thanks.

I have both and both are equally bad when it comes to HD media. Maybe everybody is renting more now since no shows are on tv. But I have a hard time in getting either one to ship me movies.

Ernie
.: DVD Profiler :.

post #485 of 497 Old 01-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Worms View Post

I have both and both are equally bad when it comes to HD media. Maybe everybody is renting more now since no shows are on tv. But I have a hard time in getting either one to ship me movies.

It's too bad that BB doesn't carry the HD-DVDs in store, but if I was a Blu-Ray user, I'd pay the monthly fee for the unlimited program (Blockbuster Total Access Premium), order standard def movies that aren't in high demand and then go trade them in at the local BB for Blu-Ray movies. Why sit and wait around for something to ship in your queue when they probably have it just up the road. Order something that's ready to ship in standard DVD, get it in, then make that in-store exchange for Blu-Ray.

That beats the system quite nicely.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #486 of 497 Old 01-28-2008, 12:49 PM

I just cancelled my service and although it is more expesive to just go to my local Hollywood, nothing is more expensive than getting nothing for your money. Everything I wanted is wait, long wait and never, ever. Mainly the latter.

They were so good for a long time and then like many of my old girl friends, just went to the bad. Or the flash is off the pan. Or something.
post #487 of 497 Old 01-29-2008, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received King of California from NETFLIX today in HD DVD. I also went to BB and exchanged an on-line rental for The Invasion on Blu-ray. The BB store had pulled all of its HD DVDs off the shelf and had them in the bin for sale as previously viewed movies. They had the titles for sale for $19.99 which is overpriced considering that you can buy a new title from Amazon for that price or better. I told the workers that I was disappointed and that their used HD DVD titles were overpriced but I could tell that they could care less. I am disappointed that my local BB decided to do this as I am format neutral and believe in giving the consumer a choice. Has anyone else experienced that their local BB has pulled the HD DVD titles?
post #488 of 497 Old 01-29-2008, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I received King of California from NETFLIX today in HD DVD. I also went to BB and exchanged an on-line rental for The Invasion on Blu-ray. The BB store had pulled all of its HD DVDs off the shelf and had them in the bin for sale as previously viewed movies. They had the titles for sale for $19.99 which is overpriced considering that you can buy a new title from Amazon for that price or better. I told the workers that I was disappointed and that their used HD DVD titles were overpriced but I could tell that they could care less. I am disappointed that my local BB decided to do this as I am format neutral and believe in giving the consumer a choice. Has anyone else experienced that their local BB has pulled the HD DVD titles?

Count yourself lucky the BB by me carry neither HD format
post #489 of 497 Old 01-29-2008, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaxon View Post

I just cancelled my service and although it is more expesive to just go to my local Hollywood, nothing is more expensive than getting nothing for your money. Everything I wanted is wait, long wait and never, ever. Mainly the latter.

They were so good for a long time and then like many of my old girl friends, just went to the bad. Or the flash is off the pan. Or something.

Same here.

They are just simply awful with getting new releases on HD DVD. The last disc I received from Netflix was at the beginning of January so I canceled them this week.

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
post #490 of 497 Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

I wonder how many people are having this trouble getting disks. I am having no issue at all in Charlotte, using the Greensboro NC distribution hub. My account is not throttled, and I have been a continuous user for many years.

Throttled - No
Dist Hub - Greensboro
At-a-Time - 3
Returns / 30 days - 13
post #491 of 497 Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I received The King of California in HD DVD and Mr. Woodcock in Blu-ray from NETFLIX this week. BB is mailing me Daddy Day Camp in Blu-ray (wife wanted to see this one). I was able to exchange Cat People in HD for The Invasion in Blu-ray at the BB store.
post #492 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am very disappointed by NETFLIX's decision and I sent them an email telling them that. I would urge all other NETFLIX subscribers to do the same.

I am format neutral as I rent both HD DVDs and Blu-rays. However, I have found HD DVD to be superior in many ways to Blu-ray. There is no such thing as a 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 profile HD DVD players. HD DVD decided to give the consumer a fully functional player from day one. Additionally, I am frustrated that very few Blu-ray players allow the consumer to listen to the DTS-HD audio codec even though many titles on Blu-ray are encoded using this codec. Besides that I find that titles on HD DVD and Blu-ray that are encoded using the same video and audio codecs are identical in sound and picture quality if played on a properly functioning player.

The format war has been a good thing for consumers. It has resulted in price reductions on players and movies in both HD disc formats. Furthermore, it has caused Blu-ray to improve the performance of their players (1.1 & 2.0 profiles).

NETFLIX has decided to not give the consumer a choice. For that reason my choice may be to no longer subscribe to NETFLIX.
post #493 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I am very disappointed by NETFLIX's decision ...

Which decision is that?
post #494 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpflepsen View Post

Which decision is that?

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssC...EN388420080211
post #495 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I am very disappointed by NETFLIX's decision and I sent them an email telling them that. I would urge all other NETFLIX subscribers to do the same.

I am format neutral as I rent both HD DVDs and Blu-rays. However, I have found HD DVD to be superior in many ways to Blu-ray. There is no such thing as a 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 profile HD DVD players. HD DVD decided to give the consumer a fully functional player from day one. Additionally, I am frustrated that very few Blu-ray players allow the consumer to listen to the DTS-HD audio codec even though many titles on Blu-ray are encoded using this codec. Besides that I find that titles on HD DVD and Blu-ray that are encoded using the same video and audio codecs are identical in sound and picture quality if played on a properly functioning player.

The format war has been a good thing for consumers. It has resulted in price reductions on players and movies in both HD disc formats. Furthermore, it has caused Blu-ray to improve the performance of their players (1.1 & 2.0 profiles).

NETFLIX has decided to not give the consumer a choice. For that reason my choice may be to no longer subscribe to NETFLIX.

Is there an e-mail you can post, I like to sent them a letter too and let them know I'm terminating my account. I hope BB improve their HD DVD mailing service.

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
post #496 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks, I bounce in here from my email alerts.

This was unexpected, for me at least.
post #497 of 497 Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Please use the netflix thread for discussion on their decision. We don't need 2 threads talking about it. And I guess there really isn't a reason for this thread now considering it's in the HD-DVD forum

larry

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -- Thomas Alva Edison
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page