Will "Blood Diamond" HD DVD look and sound the same as the Blu-Ray? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-17-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know that the HD DVD will have that "In movie experiance" but I could care less about that or extras as only video quality and to a lesser extent audio quality interest me. Do you think the HD DVD will look and sound the same as the Blu-Ray?

Thanks,
Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-17-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Only one way to find out.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-17-2007, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I know that the HD DVD will have that "In movie experiance" but I could care less about that or extras as only video quality and to a lesser extent audio quality interest me. Do you think the HD DVD will look and sound the same as the Blu-Ray?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

it will be bit for bit the same encoding (just the metadata attached to the video stream will change - eg. 3:2 pulldown flags).

The only potential difference will due to your playback hardware - but comparing the output of my XA2 (NEC decoder) with my PS3 (software decoding) and Panasonic, Pioneer/Sony (both based on a Sigma SOC) BD player I would say in general differences in final output quality of VC-1 streams are VERY small indeed - arguably Sigma based players provide "the best" performance.

Sound will be equal too - the TrueHD track has just the potential to sound as good as the native PCM stream on BD (which is the original source signal) - assuming postprocessing filters like Warner's always enabled "Dialog Normalization" flag have no negative impact on the quality of the final TrueHD output.

Advantages of the HD-DVD version: IME (BD provides these clips as extra features) and Internet connectivity (downloading of some additional content - like they couldn't just have stored these files on the disc ). If you enjoy these go with the HD-DVD release.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-17-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Thanks,
Tom

Tom: Please take a moment to try the search engine before starting a new thread. I used diamond in advance search, title search only and the first thread after yours was this..a multiple page thread asking the same question

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857488

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 5 Old 06-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
The search engine is your friend.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page