Yes, Santana, and Deep Purple Delayed to July 24th - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For anyone looking forward to the YES, Santana, and Deep Purple concerts being released on HD-DVD June 26th, they were just moved to July 24th.

I was really looking forward to checking out the YES LIVE IN MONTREUX, but I guess I'll have to wait another month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

For anyone looking forward to the YES and Deep Purple concerts being released on HD-DVD June 26th, they were just moved to July 24th.

I was really looking forward to checking out the YES LIVE IN MONTREUX, but I guess I'll have to wait another month.

Damn. Was looking forward to this too. Where did you get the news?
post #3 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

Damn. Was looking forward to this too. Where did you get the news?

I went to Amazon to look up the specs for the Yes Montreux and noticed the date change. Then I checked my pre-order and it had moved as well. It was still June 24th two days ago.

BTW, I just looked up Santana as well. All 3 of the Montreux concerts were delayed.
post #4 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
whats the specs on the santana one? truehd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

The specs on Satana are one sh!tty "Santana and Friends" concert where the do a bunch of covers of non-santana music.

WASTE!
post #6 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

It is not listed on Amazon or High Def Digest, but if the box is accurate on Amazon, then it is DTS-HD.

Click on the link and click on the box art to enlarge it. It says "DTS HD" in the lower left hand corner. The YES concert says this as well. I didn't look up the Deep Purple but I assume it says the same thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Santana-Hymns-...2282283&sr=8-1
post #7 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Ah crud. Was really looking forward to the Yes disc.
post #8 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I kinda want that Deep Purple disc myself, not a true fan of the band or anything, but definitely a fan of Steve Morse...waiting for the reviews.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7
post #9 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

For anyone looking forward to the YES, Santana, and Deep Purple concerts being released on HD-DVD June 26th, they were just moved to July 24th.

As was I, I guess I'll just watch my D-Theater YES at the house of blues.....

It is "WOW" TV!
post #10 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Another delay... damn...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

post #11 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Crap. I've also been looking forward to the YES disc. I'll re-watch a good concert many more times than a movie.

We need more concert releases!

Robert
post #12 of 30 Old 06-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I just ordered YEs from MTV for $9.35.

Here's the review that pushed me into it >>>

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/05/06/085813.php

post #13 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

So has anyone watched these yet?

I haven't seen any reviews. I ordered the Yes disc and it's currently at home awaiting my arrival.

I'll try to pop it in tonight and post some impressions if no one else has it.
post #14 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just popped in the YES HD-DVD and so far so good, looks great and sounds great. Very much like the Cream and Heart HD-DVD's, it has DTS-HD 5.1 audio as well.

post #15 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I just picked up the Santana and Deep Purple HD DVD's from Fry's today. I will post some notes here as soon as I get a chance to view them.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

XBL = eqshadimar
post #16 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee View Post

I just popped in the YES HD-DVD and so far so good, looks great and sounds great. Very much like the Cream and Heart HD-DVD's, it has DTS-HD 5.1 audio as well.

It's good no doubt, and different, PQ is not all that great VS the D-Theater YES tape, but I very happy with it and the Santana disc is a kick butt show!

These disc's are much better than the Chicago/EWF disc and I really enjoy all these groups, showing age I guess, no matter happy to see these all in HD.

It is "WOW" TV!
post #17 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The PQ of the Yes Live in Montreux HD-DVD is great, but the audio is badly mixed. The quality of what you CAN hear is quite good (vocals, Howe's electric, Wakeman's keys, drums), but Squire's bass is virtually inaudible most of the time, and the volume of Steve Howe's Vihuela and 12 string are very, VERY low! It's a great disc for Yes fans, and the show is great, but prepare to be a bit disapointed.

post #18 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought the sound was really good on the YES disc, it was very clear and very detailed, no disappointment from my end and PQ was great. I finished watching it about 30 mins ago and was very pleased overall it was a great quality disc all around.

post #19 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 177
...but didn't you find that Chris Squire's bass to be severely lacking? I found it to be barely audible for the most part. You could barely make out what notes he was playing half the time. On the Symphonic Live DVD, Squire's bass was thunderous.

post #20 of 30 Old 07-25-2007, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Just saw the Yes concert. Personally I should have checked the song list. Not one song from 90215. Oh well, at least it is just a rental from Netflix. I prefer the content from the the House of Blues more.

As for the audio, I listened to the DTS-HD mix and wasn't too impressed. It was clean sounding, but seemed to lack the detail of other concerts on HD-DVD I've heard to this point.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #21 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Just saw the Yes concert. Personally I should have checked the song list. Not one song from 90215. Oh well, at least it is just a rental from Netflix. I prefer the content from the the House of Blues more.

As for the audio, I listened to the DTS-HD mix and wasn't too impressed. It was clean sounding, but seemed to lack the detail of other concerts on HD-DVD I've heard to this point.

Outside of possibly "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", I don't think the Anderson/Squire/Wakeman/Howe/White lineup has performed much of anything from 90125 or Big Generator, or any Trevor Rabin-era stuff live recently.

Now if they could unearth a decent concert from the Union tour to get on HD that would be awesome.
post #22 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 07:31 AM

the Yes concert was not bad, but you can tell these guys have gotten slower as the years moved on. Siberian Khatru is almost twice as slow as the original and Heart of the Sunrise about a third slower. Wakeman's solo was outstanding, and there were moments where his technical brilliance came out. His fingers can still move. None of these guys are poster children from good looking people in hi def.

post #23 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerm View Post

None of these guys are poster children from good looking people in hi def.

LOL - I've always thought Yes was always one of the most "ugly" bands. Good thing they can play!
post #24 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I watched the two shows (or at least a good portion of both shows) last night. I agree that the Santana show is kick @$$. Great visual quality, sound quality, and performance. It rocked in a jazzy sort of way....day.....oh I would use this disc to show of the sound and visual quality of my system. It is on par with the Cream, Eagles, and NIN discs.

The Deep Purple concert was a bit of a disappointment after seeing the Santana concert. The picture quality was great but the lighting design did not really make good use of HD. It was very dark. However when they went to close ups with enough light you could tell the HD quality was there. The sound mix was just ok. It just seemed that the vocals were buried (this may have been intentional). The performance was decent too but nothing over the top. Now don't get me wrong if you like Deep Purple get the disc for sure. If you are a fringe listener I would rent it first. So to sum up it is not a good HD Demo disc but it is a high quality disc that Deep Purple fans should enjoy.

I do not have the Yes concert yet but I will keep my eye out for the disc.

For both discs I thought the DTS-HD sounded the best.

Full Disclosure Statement

This review was done using the following equipment 5 Klipsch Heresy's, SVS 20-39 + Sampson amp, Panasonic AX-100, sitting 14' away from a 106" dia Dalite high power screen, Toshiba A1 running via the analog outputs into a Panasonic SA-XR55.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #25 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Isn't the Santana just a "Friends" concert where he performs non-Santana?
post #26 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID View Post

Isn't the Santana just a "Friends" concert where he performs non-Santana?

Yes that is correct with the exception of a few songs.

Laters,
Jeff

XBL = eqshadimar
post #27 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

Outside of possibly "Owner Of A Lonely Heart", I don't think the Anderson/Squire/Wakeman/Howe/White lineup has performed much of anything from 90125 or Big Generator, or any Trevor Rabin-era stuff live recently.

Now if they could unearth a decent concert from the Union tour to get on HD that would be awesome.

Ahh, you are right. I thought "Leave It" was also on the House of Blues Live concert but I was wrong. Anyway, it wasn't "bad". But only 14 songs, Not really a big finale, the guys didn't age too well, and the sound wasn't up to the quality of the other HD concert titles I have purchased. It's still probably a good buy for a big YES fan, but I wouldn't recommend it to the casual fan such as myself.

Anyway, I just returned my copy of YES (Pacific Northwest) to Netflix today, so cue it up if you are interested.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #28 of 30 Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys for the reviews! I was going to buy all 3, but now I'll rent them first - just to make sure
post #29 of 30 Old 07-31-2007, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I just watched the Santana and liked it a lot. I bought it without reading any reviews or even checking out the lineup of players so it wasn't what I expected. The sound is better than the Yes or the Alice Cooper but still needed more rear channel sound. The musican's are outstanding. The performance is top notch.

There was a lot to like about the Yes, however I thought the Santana was a bit better overall. The Yes had better song selection and nice close ups of Steve Howe's fingers but that was about it compared to the Santana. Hymns of Peace had better overall sound quality I thought (other than the lack of surround volume). I did like both though...Beside You In Time is still my fav concert HD-DVD.

I am looking forward to watching the Deep Purple one in the next couple days if not sooner.Eric

PS
I preordered mine (all 3) from amazon and with the 10% discount were only 15 bucks each. Well worth it...
post #30 of 30 Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 AM
tsb
AVS Special Member

cool, might pick up the santana disk
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page