Best Buy is basically restricting any HD-DVD software sales... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everybody knows that the bulk of HD-DVD software releases these days are Universal catalogue titles. There happen to be two that I really want to get: Mallrats and The Big Lewboski. None of the Best Buy's around me in the DFW metroplex have them. Why? Because Best Buy isn't carrying most of the Universal catalogue titles.

Last time I checked, Best Buy is a major video seller. How can HD-DVD grow if they don't carry the titles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If they keep selling players the movies will come. It's all about doing whatever it takes right now to get enough players out there. This will force the retailers to carry the movies.
post #3 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I think at least part of what is going on is Best Buy is tending to only order new releases, tending to bypass catalog titles. I think this is based on a perception that catalog titles don't sell very well.

My two cents.
post #4 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

I think at least part of what is going on is Best Buy is tending to only order new releases, tending to bypass catalog titles. I think this is based on a perception that catalog titles don't sell very well.

My two cents.

They'd sell better (maybe not good, but better) if they did, indeed, start selling them.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

They'd sell better if Best Buy didn't sell them for $10 more than Amazon.
post #6 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

Pretty much a given at this point.

Unlike many of you guys, I don't buy movies in bulk (3 or 4 at a time), so unless some campaign is going on with free shipping, I'm not too keen on online shopping.
post #7 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysGuy1874 View Post

Unlike many of you guys, I don't buy movies in bulk (3 or 4 at a time), so unless some campaign is going on with free shipping, I'm not too keen on online shopping.

Just get Amazon Prime.

If you can find four family members to split the cost with you, it becomes one of the best deals on the net.

Free 2 day shipping is
post #8 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Two HD DVD movies is enough to qualify for free domestic shipping from amazon.com (minimum order $25.01 US) or amazon.ca (minimum order $39 CDN).
post #9 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 11:52 PM

I'm assuming that all the Best Buys don't carry the same exact titles considering that you didn't see The Big Lewboski at your local store.

(And the funny thing is I live in South Carolina, the piss poor state when it comes to technology.)

Once a student, always a student..
post #10 of 43 Old 07-06-2007, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Everybody knows that the bulk of HD-DVD software releases these days are Universal catalogue titles. There happen to be two that I really want to get: Mallrats and The Big Lewboski. None of the Best Buy's around me in the DFW metroplex have them. Why? Because Best Buy isn't carrying most of the Universal catalogue titles.

Last time I checked, Best Buy is a major video seller. How can HD-DVD grow if they don't carry the titles?

you're in DFW..just go to fry's and get whatever you want..they carry just about every title that has been released.
post #11 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

Best Buy has unofficially been renamed: MSRPBuy

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #12 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 01:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 05:20 AM

Quote:

I buy many catalog titles in pairs and new releases individually from Amazon. Although lately I've been buying nearly everything that Universal has been putting out.
post #14 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Haven't seen Mallrats at Best Buy, but I know they do stock The Big Lebowski at the stores in Philly.

PEACE--->Rhoq

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a local store/distributer issue.

I have 2 BB's within 10 minutes, and both have not only both your titles in stock in HD DVD, but also a very solid HD DVD disk inventory that gets restocked weekly - in fact, the HD DVD stock is replenished and has more titles for purchase displayed than they have for Blu Ray.

The local store managers and regional managers have discretion as to what inventories to carry for various products -- I suggest you call ahead and plan to meet with your store manager...then let him know how disappointed you are in their lack of HD DVD inventory and that he is losing sales - that always gets their attention.
post #16 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFAN0001 View Post

This is a local store/distributer issue.

I have 2 BB's within 10 minutes, and both have not only both your titles in stock in HD DVD, but also a very solid HD DVD disk inventory that gets restocked weekly - in fact, the HD DVD stock is replenished and has more titles for purchase displayed than they have for Blu Ray.

The local store managers and regional managers have discretion as to what inventories to carry for various products -- I suggest you call ahead and plan to meet with your store manager...then let him know how disappointed you are in their lack of HD DVD inventory and that he is losing sales - that always gets their attention.

My local Best Buy stores stock all new titles released on HD DVD. Funny thing is one of them NEVER puts them out. They keep them in the back. So a week or so after they are released I have to ask a sales associate to go get them from the back.

I have complained about this so many times and am approaching 6 visits for 6 different new releases which on each occassion, the titles were left in the back. Funny thing is, the Blu Ray disc releases always get put out right away. My only guess is that the stock boys are Blu Ray boys...

As of yesterda, all of the June 26, 2007 releases (which that store has on hand) are still sitting in the back.
post #17 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Same here in texas. I'd like to get Big Lebowski and Untouchables and NO ONE has them. Best buy, Circuit city- none of them
post #18 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumlad View Post

Best Buy has unofficially been renamed: MSRPBuy

No $hit man, Best Buy is HORRIBLE - why people buy ANYTHING there is beyond me. I wish people would stop giving my kids Best Buy gift cards - give them CASH please, so we can maximize the value. Games, movies, equipment - have you priced televisions there? Oh, and that LAME "rewards" program, it's more like monetary hostage release. Spend enough at above market prices, they'll give you $10 off last years model MP3 walkman or somesuch... lame...lame...lame.

Thank the Fruit of the Virgin's Womb our Sweet Gentle Lord Jesus that Fry's is around, despite their insipid move of HD back behind kumquats in aisle 4...

MEC2
P.S. I picked up Untouchables and Sneakers at Fry's last week, part of a *7* HD DVD day with the arrival of my 5 from Warner...
post #19 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They better get their act together and finish the end caps in their stores. I've been to 3 different Best Buy's lately (for other than HD-DVD purposes!) and in each one all their HD-DVD new endcap displays are not complete and don't have titles there like the BD section does. They need to get placement like BD does (paid or not) and get the lead out. If I paid for that end cap space and it looks like it does now, I'd be pissed off!
post #20 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 07:49 AM

As a Best Buy employee I've complained about this many times. The answer I got from corporate was that we would be focusing on mainly new releases in-store for both HD formats, and the catalog releases would be online only. All the Universal catalog titles are available online, we carry very few in-store. They said this was due to slow sales and limited shelf space. Complaining to your local store won't do any good, we have no control on getting specific titles in, if enough customers complained to corporate then they might finally start to carry more.
post #21 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiated View Post

As a Best Buy employee I've complained about this many times. The answer I got from corporate was that we would be focusing on mainly new releases in-store for both HD formats, and the catalog releases would be online only. All the Universal catalog titles are available online, we carry very few in-store. They said this was due to slow sales and limited shelf space. Complaining to your local store won't do any good, we have no control on getting specific titles in, if enough customers complained to corporate then they might finally start to carry more.

I sent Best Buy a page long e-mail expressing my disappointment with their lack of titles and with their pricing. I might write a hand written letter especially since that is such an old school thing to do nowadays and it might hit home better. I think I got their attention because I told them "Out of the 32 HD DVD movies I have only 5 have been purchased form their stores" I went on to list a 5 titles I would of purchased except for the price including Planet Earth which could be picked up from Fry's for $30 cheaper, The Complete Matrix Trilogy, Superman Returns, etc etc and I listed 4 titles I would buy if they carried them.
post #22 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Not sure if it applies to the OP, but I was at FYE the other day and Mallrats and Lebowski were both on sale for $24.99. Not sure if it's for the first week, but they were MSRP $29.99 (or normal price) but sale for $24.99. That's probably what you would've paid for them at Best Buy, so there ya go. I bet Fry's is better though...
post #23 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 AM

"The local store managers and regional managers have discretion as to what inventories to carry for various products "

I can tell you now, having been a store manager for best buy, this is simply not true and completly false. Yes, we can order MORE of something, but we do not pick and choose what we carry, it is determined on corporate level by our store size (20k etc) and current marketing promotions.
post #24 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furiated View Post

As a Best Buy employee I've complained about this many times. The answer I got from corporate was that we would be focusing on mainly new releases in-store for both HD formats, and the catalog releases would be online only. All the Universal catalog titles are available online, we carry very few in-store. They said this was due to slow sales and limited shelf space.

I get the feeling that if there was only one format (so a disc could be sold to everybody with a player and not just part of the market and they weren't having to take up shelf space with 2 versions of so many movies) they would carry more of these lesser selling titles. There are positives and negatives to the war, but at this point I think the continuation of the war is at least partially responsible for BB skipping so many titles in their stores.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #25 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 AM

my best buy has both of those. The only titles they do not carry to my knowledge is Coming to America and Trading Places.

Think it said online only on their site and i have yet to see them in store so ya i think thats it.

-Lude
post #26 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Cowboy, even if you do not want to buy movies in bulk it is much easier and cheaper to buy them online. Amazon is a great place for buying movies along with others online. Retailers are only going to sell what consumers are willing to buy and the consumer is still not ready for HD discs in stores yet. DVD is still the main consumer buy. You here Best Buy selling out of HD DVD or Blu Ray releases is because they did not have that many in the first place or any at all. Stick with online buying and you can not go wrong.
post #27 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 AM

My local BB has a pretty good selection of titles. As a matter of fact I just returned home from there where I purchased Goodfellows and Last Samurai for $13.99 each with a Frye's price match. They also have POTO for the same price.
post #28 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Cowboy, even if you do not want to buy movies in bulk it is much easier and cheaper to buy them online. Amazon is a great place for buying movies along with others online. Retailers are only going to sell what consumers are willing to buy and the consumer is still not ready for HD discs in stores yet. DVD is still the main consumer buy. You here Best Buy selling out of HD DVD or Blu Ray releases is because they did not have that many in the first place or any at all. Stick with online buying and you can not go wrong.

That's really all I've been doing so far with HD-DVD releases, but the shipping costs suck. I'll probably wait until Hot Fuzz comes out, then buy in bulk with Mallrats and Big Lebowski,.
post #29 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bases1616 View Post

Amen. I love buying from Amazon and they probably love me now too. Actually, I recently bought some stuff from deepdiscountdvd.com & dvd planet during their June sale and found their shipping process equally good.

At least for now, online purchasing is the most affordable and without a doubt has the most selection-if not ALL of the titles needed.
post #30 of 43 Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

my bb has both of those titles. they also have the new army of darkness and sneakers.

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS.
Closed Thread HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page