What's up with Walmart??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I went to my local Walmart today to see if they had any HD DVD's and after about 5 minutes of looking around, I finally asked and the kid says to me, "Oh, we have some in the case with the blu-ray movies." I saw the blu-ray movies when I was looking, but did not see and HD DVD movies in there....... well, after looking again, I still didn't see any. I asked the kid again and this was his reply,.........

"Oh, they're behind the blu-ray movies."

What!!?!?!?!?

My question is, why would you have HD DVD movies in a blu-ray/PS3 case and then have them behind the blu-ray movies?? This is ridiculous and I hope all Walmarts aren't like this...........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny15 View Post

I went to my local Walmart today to see if they had any HD DVD's and after about 5 minutes of looking around, I finally asked and the kid says to me, "Oh, we have some in the case with the blu-ray movies." I saw the blu-ray movies when I was looking, but did not see and HD DVD movies in there....... well, after looking again, I still didn't see any. I asked the kid again and this was his reply,.........

What!!?!?!?!?

My question is, why would you have HD DVD movies in a blu-ray/PS3 case and then have them behind the blu-ray movies?? This is ridiculous and I hope all Walmarts aren't like this...........

That's funny, I have yet to see HD anything in a Milwaukee Walmart. Maybe there are so many Best Buys and Circut Citys here they said the with it for now.
post #3 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine isn't that way. They put both BD and HD DVD in the same case and they get about the same amount, but the HD DVDs sell MUCH better.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #4 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Same here, I don't think these Walmarts know what to do with these HiDef discs.
post #5 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM

The Walmart in North Kansas City has both HD-DVD & BR discs, but now I notice that they had two Sony S300 & two of the philips BR players in boxes with their high prices marked. No Toshibas stocked at all. They will never sell these BR units, they will just collect dust. It did make me curious if they might stock the 3rd gen HD-DVD or they were waiting for the rumored chinese made HD-DVD player. I made a call to their main office about what they were thinking and they still haven't called me back. IMO BR group is making their final attempt to smother HD-DVD, but its too late. HD-DVD will take the 4th quarter and not look back.
post #6 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Ramzyk View Post

That's funny, I have yet to see HD anything in a Milwaukee Walmart. Maybe there are so many Best Buys and Circut Citys here they said the with it for now.

Yeah I am in the Milwaukee area as well and not seen any HD-DVD movies at anything other than BestBuy and Circuit city and a few at Target...

Also the 1 bestbuy on 76th street is almost total blu-ray with no display or anything special with HD-DVD but it has been a while since I have been in there.

I guess Wisconsin is Blu lol.....
post #7 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:

What!!?!?!?!?

Very funny indeed.
I have been to a Walmart like that, some of them will tell you that they don't carry HD DVD or BR, and it is right behind them. They are worse than BB sales people.
post #8 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM

I haven't seen either format discs in my walmart but they do sell a br player for $488.

I just use their webpage printouts to price match movies at BB.

I'd really rather not shop at wally world anyway so it's all good
post #9 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 08:43 PM

The walmart close to me has both Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs. But they have twice as many blu-rays (about 20) than hd-dvds (about 10). Sucks

# of HD-DVD's: 16
# of Blu-Ray's: 15
Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on
Pioneer BDC-2202 drive
post #10 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

About a month or so ago the local walmart became BD only. They got rid of the HD-Ad on and got the S300 BDplayer. Also they have had the last 5 or so BD movies.
The 5 were all in the ps3 case. Although ghost rider was also in the NR DVD area taking up one of the 3 FS DVD spots. so 2 WS, 2 FS 1 BD spot.

Although for the first time ever they had a HD-DVD. It was 300 which had 5 copys. They ended up getting 15 BDs all were sold out when I went today.
glad I got 300 a few days back.

I had to go to target to get hot fuzz. Oddly enough the regular target has 18 BD titles and 18 HD-DVD titles. 300 and hot fuzz being 2 of them as well as shooter.
They were all out of 300 HD_DVDs but had 8 or so BDs. Which either ment no ones buying them or they got a lot more like walmart.. Although target has the HD-Add on and Ps3 but no standalone players at all..

Oddly the target has very few HDTVs about 12 and 5 or so SD sets.
However the superwalmart down the road has just a few BDs no HD-DVDs normally and 2 BD players w/no HD-Players. Yet they have 50 or so HDTVs and 10 SDTVs.

So if target get new movies every week I'm going their. But it seems they pick 3 new movies to put out once every few months. The 31 being 1 of them.

I've stoped with bestbuy for the most part as most combos are $35 bucks but target if lucky has new HD combos for $29
post #11 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM

The Wal*Mart here never carried any HD movies until Premonition came out, they had the Blu-Ray for that one on the floor display. Same thing this week for 300, both Blu-Ray and HD DVD versions available. So 2 Blu-Ray and 1 HD DVD title, but at least they are starting to get them.
post #12 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

What!!?!?!?!?

Same thing here in MD. I walked finally found it sitting on top of the PS3s in the case next to the BR movies (also sitting on top of the PS3s). They only had 2 copies (no BR copies).

pretty bad.
post #13 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
My walmarts(s) have a dedicated area for HD discs. Thing is, the BLu side destroys the HDdvd side with quantity. New releases are always fresh on blu's side while HDdvd has norbit, flags of our fathers, and a few other older movies. The cool thing is, their prices are great for catalog movies! Untouchables for $18.88 on either format! 300 for $24.99 blu and $29.99 red. I'm going there Tuesday for the TMNT prices--for bluray of course, freakin HDDVD is a combo
post #14 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

What!!?!?!?!?

What you need to do, is go back and put all the Blu ray discs behind the HD DVDs

post #15 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Every walmart in Winnipeg, MB, Canada, this is 6 stores last I counted, has an end cap with 5-6 shelves of HD-DVD and Blu-ray, usually good prices, lots at $19 bucks.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #16 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Wal-mart is not playing favorites, yet.
Mine has the display but sucks at getting new Blu or HD in. They had 6 copies of 300 blu and 11 HD. No hot fuzz, the hot fuzz display has a ton of DVDs and printed in big letters is "also on HD DVD", no HD Hot fuzz to be found in the store.
The best seller of either format has been the Bourne Supremacy, followed by Batman Begins ($18.96 each). They still have not gotten the Bourne Identity, I had to go to Target to get it and Hot Fuzz.

They still sell the 360 add on, they have sold and out then restocked it just like the PS3. They have the wal-mart A2 in stock and have sold at least 2 that I've noticed, no standalone blu payers even though the online they say the store stocks it. they also say the A2W is only available online but our store has them.

Its a mixed bag with wal-marts, there is still a lot of clutter. I've heard the corporate plan is to renovate all of the stores so every wal-mart has the same stock. Probably be close to black Friday before they get near that goal, that is if its more than a rumor.
These observations are based on my experiences with 2 wallyworlds, the closest one and the one near work.
post #17 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The walmart close to me has both Blu-Rays and HD-DVDs. But they have twice as many blu-rays (about 20) than hd-dvds (about 10). Sucks

2 of the Walmarts here(which carry HD DVD and BR) are the same way. Mostly BR. More like 80%/20%
post #18 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 PM

i went to two wal marts in my area looking for 300 for cheaper than my amazon order. one still has a crap selection of about 8 movies in either format with about two disks of each movie.

the other i searched and searched through the movies section and didn't find any of either. i started to leave disappointed, but then found a display solely for BR/HD in the middle of the main aisle with an lcd screen on either side showing off either format. strangely the hd-dvd side lcd was turned off... they had about 20 or so titles in both formats with decent stock, which really surprised me.
post #19 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:

yup, in ontario canada, and my walmart did that for about 6 months last year. i attributed it to some blu-ray zealot employee trying to sabotage hd dvd sales. but now that it's happening in another walmart hundreds of miles away makes it all seem kinda fishy.

i've never seen any other stores put hd dvds BEHIND bluray movies.
post #20 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 View Post

Yeah I am in the Milwaukee area as well and not seen any HD-DVD movies at anything other than BestBuy and Circuit city and a few at Target...

Also the 1 bestbuy on 76th street is almost total blu-ray with no display or anything special with HD-DVD but it has been a while since I have been in there.

I've seen 50/50 at Milwaukee Best Buy's, but it's been a while since I've gone (who pays that price for either?). I don't count endcaps because that's payola.
post #21 of 45 Old 08-02-2007, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisC8723 View Post

mine has about twice as many also! 2 blu-rays 1 hd-dvd
actually they have been all over, from a first start that looked good, to total disappearance, to looking promising, to almost nothing again now.
post #22 of 45 Old 08-03-2007, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customgamer1 View Post

The Mayfair BestBuy and the Germantown BestBuy both have a decent section dedicated to HD DVD.....but i didn't wander into the blu-ray area so I'm not sure how they compare.....

Quote:

What you need to do, is go back and put all the Blu ray discs behind the HD DVDs

Honestly, I would love to, but they're locked up in a case with the PS3's!!
post #23 of 45 Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

My Wallyworld has a BIG display in front of the Electronics section. BR on one side and HD on the other with an LCD screen playing an HD movie on both sides of the display (I can't remember which one)
post #24 of 45 Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
None of the 3 walmarts close to me carry ANY discs and only 1 has the add-on, otherwise no players or discs.

John
post #25 of 45 Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

I found 1 BD movie in our walmart, and it was in a glass case with the PS3 display. I didn't see a price on it.
post #26 of 45 Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
All the wal-marts I've seen in Alberta have either equal "billing" for both HD-DVD and BR and in some cases the HD-DVD are featured more promptly with the end caps over BR.
Just my experience but I've been to 4 or 5 in Alberta and they all are similar in that if anything I would say HD-DVD is equal or favored.
post #27 of 45 Old 08-04-2007, 08:12 PM

These Wally*World threads got me wondering, since I had not seen HD-DVDs in my local W*M, so I swung in today, ready to ask questions.

I found a modest, but diverse, selection of BDs merchandised nicely in the PS3 showcase.
So I naturally walked up the isle to the XB360 case, hoping to find HD-DVDs in that case.
Nope!
Walked back to the BD display to see if I could spot any red showing behind the blue.
Nope... but off to the side of the case.. almost totally out of sight... were 3 lonely HD copies of "300".
Not facing out, but edge out.. not the spine, mind you, but the "Security Device Enclosed label out!
And upside-down, so that the top title sticker didn't show.
I mentioned to the clerk that they should be placed (at least) with the 360 adds & in a manner that folks could spot them.
She shrugged and mumbled that "No one buys them, anyway".
When I responded that people won't buy what they can't find, she said "I didn't setup the display.. besides, you found them", and moved away.

Gotta' luv' Wally*World.

TekWorm
post #28 of 45 Old 08-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWorm View Post

... she said "I didn't setup the display.. besides, you found them", and moved away.

Gotta' luv' Wally*World.

Obviously a Blu-ray fan-girl!

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
post #29 of 45 Old 08-04-2007, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys should have posted this in the Blu-ray forum. LOL.

Isn't the Wally logo blue anyway. It's a natural progression.
...although Target made that blu announcement.
BB has a blue logo too. and CC blacklisted by most shoppers here and on other boards.

Uh-oh.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #30 of 45 Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourke View Post

Obviously a Blu-ray fan-girl!

nope... just typical employee too lazy to work...
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page