post #31 of 61 Old 08-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post

1988? Am I really that old? I could have sworn it was 10 years ago.

Pretty sure it was 1998, I remember taking a gf to this movie and I'm positive I wasn't 11 years old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

There's a little bit of e.e. in a few scenes, but it's not terrible. This is a better-than-average looking catalog title from Universal. It has a nice film-like appearance for the most part. The 'painted landscape' scenes are breathtaking in HD.

I really like the imagery in this movie, but the story is pretty dopey. The director's earlier film "Map of the Human Heart" is much better. The rights to that one are held by Miramax, and I doubt it's very high on their Blu-ray "to do" list.

Thanks Josh!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #33 of 61 Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I remember the movie but I don't remember hearing much buzz about it. I wasn't planning to pick it up, but you folks changed my mind.

HD DVD collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 61 Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My review is up:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/....php?p=3213827

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
post #35 of 61 Old 08-13-2007, 05:15 PM
wje
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadath View Post

My review is up:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/....php?p=3213827

Drats! I haven't been able to connect to the HTF in 3 days now.
post #36 of 61 Old 08-13-2007, 07:24 PM

this is my favorite movie (can you guess by my username?), sigh, this format war is killing me, I want to get a ps3 (since I think it's a better player than the x360, and no red rings of death) BUT all the movies I like (matrix, what dreams may come, pirates, bourne, chronicles of riddick, grand prix) are on HD-DVD, ARGH...

I guess come September I will have to get an A30 and finally jump in one of the two formats, although in the one I have lesser confidence it will win in the long run: if only the xbox360 was as good (and reliable, and cheap) a player as the ps3 I'd probably be getting one right now: pity that up here in Canada there is no x360elite+hddvd drive+6 movies deal like down in the US
post #37 of 61 Old 08-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Drats! I haven't been able to connect to the HTF in 3 days now.

It's back, they had a hard disk issue

Sam Posten
post #38 of 61 Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM

i really liked this movie and it is easily one my favorites. The picture quality in this movie is amazing. I'm glad I picked it up today.
post #39 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdreamsmaycome View Post

this is my favorite movie (can you guess by my username?), sigh, this format war is killing me, I want to get a ps3 (since I think it's a better player than the x360, and no red rings of death) BUT all the movies I like (matrix, what dreams may come, pirates, bourne, chronicles of riddick, grand prix) are on HD-DVD, ARGH...

I guess come September I will have to get an A30 and finally jump in one of the two formats, although in the one I have lesser confidence it will win in the long run: if only the xbox360 was as good (and reliable, and cheap) a player as the ps3 I'd probably be getting one right now: pity that up here in Canada there is no x360elite+hddvd drive+6 movies deal like down in the US

Well you can count on that 360 for three years (that's the warranty period) and that's longer than almost every Playstation/PS2 I've owned (5 total).

Back on Topic: I may need to pick this one up for the frau. WDMC is another good sign for HD DVD; it broadens the formats appeal and is another example of a film that would never be released on BD (well perhaps 5 or 6 years from now) even if they had exclusive rights.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #40 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 358
My full review is up:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29825

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #41 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
3 and half stars?? why is everyone here raving about the PQ??
post #42 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

As noted in my review the 'painting' scenes are really terrific, great detal and color saturation, but other video qualities are not as off the charts. I gave it a 4.

Sam Posten
post #43 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post

it broadens the formats appeal and is another example of a film that would never be released on BD (well perhaps 5 or 6 years from now) even if they had exclusive rights.

"What Dreams May Come" broadens the format's appeal? I remember loving the movie, but come on... And it would never be released on Blu-Ray? What makes "What Dreams May Come" the type of movie that would never be released on Blu-Ray? Hang on - is this going to be that logic that only PS3s play Blu-Ray movies and only 13 year olds own PS3s?
post #44 of 61 Old 08-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I wouldn't be affraid of getting a xbox, I have one of the first generations and it has never given me problems except for an occasional freeze, which I think is more to do with the used games I pick up at gamestop. Hell I even mudded and sanded a new ceiling and I forgot to cover it and it had gobs of dust on it, and months later its still fine. I do plan on taking it apart to clean it, but jeez this thing seems hard to destroy. About three weeks ago my friend came over with his kid 5 years old who stepped right on top of it and it cruntched with sound, but its fine. Didn't MS just announce a 3 year fix it free paln? I doubt Sony has one that is the same length. This battle may last for years to come so theres no sense in holding out because eventually one might go away. I bought into minidisks because they were small and I couldn't scratch the disks, and look what happened to them. I don't think in life there is a whole lot of certainty

By the way I see you said you wished xbox was as good, reliable, and cheap-which think they meet. It is cheaper, 3 year warranty makes it reliable, and the games are usually touted as better (I can never tell, but reviews always say this such as the latest Maddan(better frame rate), and splinter cell is exclusive due to PS3 not able to keep up with all the games AI
post #45 of 61 Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 AM

I'd say its somewhere between and stars. Sometimes are REALLY cool and others, just plain normal. So.. I dunno. Is mixed bag. But the movie itsef is so great. The down parts were washed away in my mind, thanks to the great script.
I'd say 3.9 for me!

Boldly go.....
post #46 of 61 Old 08-16-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

3 and half stars?? why is everyone here raving about the PQ??

You should pay more attention to the text of the review and less attention to the numerical star rating.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #47 of 61 Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:

You should pay more attention to the text of the review and less attention to the numerical star rating.

I did, dvdtalk has the highest standards out of all the reviews i've seen. But still 3 1/2 stars for pq is nothing to rave about.
post #48 of 61 Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy416 View Post

If you enjoy philosophy, there are many aspects of this movie you will like.

Judging from many of the remarks from these posters...I don't think philosophy ranks very high as a component. But, as they say: to each his own.

I enjoy all types, from deliberate and introspective, all the way to popcorn munchers. I thought highly of this movie, and will add it to my library.

I thought 'The English Patient' was very good, too. But I must confess that it was tough to look at a horribly burned person for the better part of two hours.
post #49 of 61 Old 08-16-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post

I did, dvdtalk has the highest standards out of all the reviews i've seen. But still 3 1/2 stars for pq is nothing to rave about.

Speaking as the person who wrote the review you're citing, the 3 1/2 star rating was given because the disc does have some notable flaws, including a couple bad patches of e.e. However, overall I think it does a very commendable job of representing the movie's photography, and there are a number of quite impressive sequences.

The disc isn't perfect, but it looks very good and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

Josh Z
)
Curator,

post #50 of 61 Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post

"What Dreams May Come" broadens the format's appeal? I remember loving the movie, but come on... And it would never be released on Blu-Ray? What makes "What Dreams May Come" the type of movie that would never be released on Blu-Ray? Hang on - is this going to be that logic that only PS3s play Blu-Ray movies and only 13 year olds own PS3s?

Well the sales numbers support the conclusion that only 15-25 year-old males are buying BDs.

Yes WDMC broadens the format's appeal because it represents a genre that has not been covered before on the format. It could also be labeled as a "Chick Flick" and there are only a handful of those on either format.

What other film is like WDMC and is on either format?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
post #51 of 61 Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Does it have bad edge enhancement like many of Universal's recent catalog releases?

Thanks,
Tom

Looking at your post history, you seem to repeat the same thing over and over. Do you dream of EE?

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
post #52 of 61 Old 08-18-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post

I agree that What Dreams May Come and The English Patient are 2 of the better cinematic shows you can see.

Perhaps 'Crank' or 'Little Man' are your top pics?

Please. What Dreams May Come is pseudo-intellectual drivel that was rightly lambasted by pretty much every decent critic out there.
post #53 of 61 Old 08-18-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

By the way I see you said you wished xbox was as good, reliable, and cheap-which think they meet. It is cheaper

not in Canada

ps3 60gb: $550
xbox 360 elite + hd-dvd reader (and NO bonus movies): $699

in the US it's different (I see on Amazon the package deal of the elite + the hd-dvd + 5 movies) but here in Canada there is really no comparison price-wise. Not to mention that the WAF is definitely higher for the ps3 in terms of looks (one sleek box = more attractive than two), like I was saying above, if only the x360 was as good (looking and performing) hd-dvd player as the ps3 is a blueray player the choice would be easy, things being the way they are now I am waiting for the A30 to show up.
post #54 of 61 Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The director's earlier film "Map of the Human Heart" is much better. The rights to that one are held by Miramax, and I doubt it's very high on their Blu-ray "to do" list.

agreed, Josh.

I absolutely LOVED "Map..." and FINALLY convinced the better 1/2 to watch it.
Very powerful, unique and moving...

post #55 of 61 Old 08-20-2007, 08:16 AM

The wife and I watched this last night. We both thought it was great. We noticed that most scenes on Earth were out of focus, while the heaven and hell scenes looked really good.

I have never heard of Vincent Ward, but I just realized I have watched 3 of his movies. What Dreams, Map of the Human Heart, and the Navigator.
post #56 of 61 Old 09-08-2007, 06:31 AM
ECH
Advanced Member

I really enjoyed this movie. PQ/SQ is very good. I enjoyed the story line.
post #57 of 61 Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

not in Canada

ps3 60gb: $550
xbox 360 elite + hd-dvd reader (and NO bonus movies): $699

in the US it's different (I see on Amazon the package deal of the elite + the hd-dvd + 5 movies) but here in Canada there is really no comparison price-wise. Not to mention that the WAF is definitely higher for the ps3 in terms of looks (one sleek box = more attractive than two), like I was saying above, if only the x360 was as good (looking and performing) hd-dvd player as the ps3 is a blueray player the choice would be easy, things being the way they are now I am waiting for the A30 to show up.

Not here in Winnipeg. 80 gb PS3 is $659 (1 game) at BB while the Elite (120 gb of course) with 1 game is $499.
post #58 of 61 Old 09-09-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Watched this last night with the wife and one child... I quite enjoyed it. The ending is a little saccharin for me, but I enjoyed the concept. It's like a romantic version of Constantine...

MEC2
post #59 of 61 Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Sim2 seems to think its good enough to demo their 30k 3-chip 1080p projector with, 2 or 3 people said wow! and oh man out loud when the clip was over and one guy clapped (yeah he was a dork). Shrug.
post #60 of 61 Old 09-09-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Not here in Winnipeg. 80 gb PS3 is $659 (1 game) at BB while the Elite (120 gb of course) with 1 game is $499.

He said the 60GB, not 80GB...

And the PS3 is much better hardware than the 360 is...
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page