Band of Brothers HD DVD *PIX* + Reviews - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Got my copies several weeks ago and watched one episode so far. Altough it is a huge improvement over DVD there are some scenes I'm not quite satisfied particularly the night scene during the march in full battle gear (Not as bad as DMC or Brother's Grimm) but not as good as Hot Fuzz or KK. We already know when BoB was shown on HBO HD that the 'look" of film will be similar to Saving Private Ryan. Grainy and wash out colors. Since we still don't have SPR on HD disc I used Flags of Our Fathers as a reference in judging the PQ.

The daylight scenes is where it shines and actually look much better than FouF. Details are better (its still there but a LOT less compared to dark scenes). I remember when watching my archived HBO HD version I noticed that the PQ gets better as the series went on. I suspect it will be the same here.

I will reserve my judgement about the audio until I get to watch the next episode

The highlight of my HD collection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Currahee

post #5 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #7 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:31 AM

Liked: 10
Very nice! Anyone know when the US version is going to be released? It amazes me that this was released in Japan first
post #8 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Nice shots! I've watched most of the series on HD-DVD now and have just finished the 'Breaking Point'. I continue to delight in the improvement which the HD-DVDs are over the SD-DVD version and which is so clearly demonstrated in these screenies. There are a few places along the way where the image loses its focus - one notable one for me was at the end of Episode 4 (Holland), but overall the sharpness and improved stability of the albeit muted colours are a very satisfying!
post #9 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
THe few pictures show a nice improvement. I await the US version.
post #10 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if Spielberg will sue since his picture is on an HD DVD, heresy!
post #11 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 AM

I wonder how the episode Points looks like.

I remember how the scene where they are at the Eagle's Nest talking with that lake behind them, beautiful even in SD.
post #12 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnationdoormat View Post

I wonder if Spielberg will sue since his picture is on an HD DVD, heresy!

Spielberg didn't direct any of them. I pray that Dreamworks releases it here. I have no problems with Chinese covers, etc, as I can make my own covers, but I don't want the menu in Chinese, so I'm not going to import.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #13 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

A question for Xylon,

I personally thought Letters looked better then Flags whats your take?

I aslo think how ever Letters was shot is a better way to represent HD for older ( time/Period) movies. Do you happen to know how Letters was shot?
HD cam, 35 mm, 16 mm etc?

I mean the whole movie was in Japanese ( TrueHD ) and I did not complain.

Thx in advance.

nOOb.

ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #14 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

Spielberg didn't direct any of them. I pray that Dreamworks releases it here. I have no problems with Chinese covers, etc, as I can make my own covers, but I don't want the menu in Chinese, so I'm not going to import.

This was released in Japan, not China.

post #15 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

$200 for the whole set, YIKES!
post #16 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

It was $150 before it was released.
post #17 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Xylon,
As always, thanks for the shots.
You are an asset to AVS.
Please continue your excellent work.
I too got in on the Amazon.jp pre-order and watched all of the episodes on successive evenings.
To some this will not be a hi-def showcase as every scene is not razor-sharp and some have a bit softness in the background and foreground as well.
To me, the PQ was a definite improvement over the already good SD DVD.
There were scenes that were less good but not a major distraction.
The film is heavily processed in many places. Even in daylight scenes.
I'd characterize it as a washed-out olive drab kind of look.
Not Matrix green obviously but still not natural and at times with a lot of grain that to me looked added for a time capsule effect.
In the final couple episodes like Eagle's Nest and Austria, the look was far more natural.
I have only watched the series through once and after awhile would forget about looking at the screen and would simply enjoy the film.
I have an A2 player and D2 processor via hdmi, so I'm not getting the full DTS-HD bandwith but the soundtrack was what I would characterize as "typical" DTS, i.e., juiced up low end.
The sound design was not particularly immersive for the most part coming mainly from the LCRs.
There were times however when the sides and rears(PLIIx) were used to good effect so I'm surmising that this was a conscious decision on the part of the sound people.
Some of the scenes feature HEAVY artillery and could be a bit of a challenge to some systems with the chest-thumping, visceral feeling that all real men seek
I would rate the Letters From Iwo Jima artillery scenes as "better" but the scenes in BoB are lacking only in comparison.
Please take my observations for what they are. I am not a pick-every-nit- obsess-over-it kind of guy but I do have a good, professionally calibrated system and a dedicated room.
Josh Z, Robert George, Kris Deering and Peter Bracke among a couple others would be your best bets.
Hopefully one or more of them will get a copy and likely shoot my impressions full of holes
For me, BoB was a must have and for $145 shipped overnight I was willing to take the chance to see this in Hi-Def.
No regrets whatsoever.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #18 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice improvement, I wish I had these discs. If the price comes down a bit, I'm going to order them. I imagine that if/when the set comes out in the U.S. it will be well over $100 anyway. I think I paid $89 for my DVD set. The HBO stuff is really expensive.

Thanks to Xylon for the caps.
post #19 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pics, nice work indeed!
post #20 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice work - looks like the HDDVD is a great upgrade over the DVD.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images):
post #21 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very nice improvement ovet the sd version. This was a great series and I can't wait till the HD DVDs are released over here. Thanks for the great work with the pics.
post #22 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 03:34 PM

I'll just echo what everyone else is saying..

Thanks for all your nice caps Xylon!

Very nice improvement ovet the SD version!
post #23 of 472 Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Great pics, Xylon!

I watched the whole series for the first time with this set and enjoyed it a lot. I was particularly impressed by the daylight battle scenes starting from 2nd episode, I'd definitely use some of those scenes as demo material. It's also the highlight of my HD DVD collection

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ;
)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ;
)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ;
)
post #24 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So many movies to watch tonight. I will try and watch Day of Days and Carentan and post pix after.

post #25 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post

It was $150 before it was released.

It might has well have been $1 before it was released.

Scott
post #26 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Anyone know if Saving Private Ryan is coming out in hi-def soon?
post #27 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Those shots look pretty good. Not a big fan of war movies (too depressing) but I'll watch the good ones (FMJ, etc.).

Not to derail the thread, but wasn't HD DVD supposedly DOA in Japan? That don't look too dead to me.

post #28 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurrik View Post

Anyone know if Saving Private Ryan is coming out in hi-def soon?

Gonna be awhile, I think.

post #29 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover2002 View Post

Yes its expensive.

post #30 of 472 Old 09-07-2007, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb View Post

A question for Xylon,

I personally thought Letters looked better then Flags whats your take?

I aslo think how ever Letters was shot is a better way to represent HD for older ( time/Period) movies. Do you happen to know how Letters was shot?
HD cam, 35 mm, 16 mm etc?

Thx in advance.

nOOb.

FouR or LfIJ looks the same to me and has better PQ overall than BoB. Its sharper and less "washout look."

According to IMDB:

Letters

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0498380/technical

BoB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185906/technical

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page