Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmerly View Post

I don't know if anyone's given their opinion yet, but the original theatrical cut I thought was such a steaming pile of dung I could barely sit through it. Is this director's cut any better (can't see how it can get much worse)?

By being longer and offering you even more of the "steaming pile of dung". I'd warrant that's what you'd get with this new cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Ok enough about the plot. How good does Rosario dawson look nude? I have heard you see alot more of her.
post #63 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can't get over how ridiculous what's-his-name looks in that blonde wig.

Ken doll.
post #64 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulims View Post

Reminds me of a larger capacity medium. This is also where they excel.

No advantage if its still on 2 discs.

MY HT BUILD BLOG

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MY THEATRE ROOM, LIVING ROOM and BEDROOM SYSTEMS THREAD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Same disc 2 problem here, on 2 different Toshibas (A1, A35). But it played on the Xbox360 add-on. Afterwards, I put the disc back in the A1 and it played.

(On a separate note, I want that 4 hours of my life back.)
post #66 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Disc 2 started fine on my A2 (firmware 1.2). I'm watching the whole thing after the Carolina Hurricanes win tonight.

Dawson ain't that hot. But i still wanna see boobies.
post #67 of 81 Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing View Post

Disc 2 started fine on my A2 (firmware 1.2). I'm watching the whole thing after the Carolina Hurricanes win tonight.

Dawson ain't that hot. But i still wanna see boobies.

Doesn't have the greatest face (still very pretty IMO) but from the neck down she's AMAZING....but yeah i need to know more about these included scenes that feature her.

I saw the movie on sale at BB today for $18....almost bought it but decided against it......wish i would have now.
post #68 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Watched the first disk of Alexander and all went fine. Tried watching the second disk and I get a SYSTEM ERROR message on my XA2 with fw. 2.7. Anyone else have this problem? Did notice a greasy film on the case and also washed the discs, but now neither of them will play.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #69 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

Watched the first disk of Alexander and all went fine. Tried watching the second disk and I get a SYSTEM ERROR message on my XA2 with fw. 2.7. Anyone else have this problem? Did notice a greasy film on the case and also washed the discs, but now neither of them will play.

I had the same problem, all you have to do is clear the players' memory, it should work fine after that.
post #70 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobi54 View Post

I had the same problem, all you have to do is clear the players' memory, it should work fine after that.

Clear the memory as in unplug and let sit for a few minutes and then plug back in?

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #71 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

you have to go into system maintenance and into the persistent storage. Once you're in there delete the common user data files and also any common user data files under the WB banner. This should be all you need to do if you don't care about your bookmarks you can just delete the whole Warner banner and that should take care of it.
post #72 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 09:59 PM

It's been a long time since I saw the version they played on Cinemax or HBO, and at the time I thought it was a decent movie. I just watched the Final Cut this past weekend and loved it! I thought it was so much better, and being such a long movie made it even more epic to me. The two disc idea is fine with me and I love how they do the intermission. Someone mentioned that Stone did it to allow people to soak in what they have seen and I can agree with this 100%. I'm a huge fan of history, especially in this time period. The movie is amazing.
post #73 of 81 Old 11-19-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I finished watching it....finally. Played on my A2 v1.2 perfectly. Optical out. 720p

Audio:

I felt the audio left something to be desired. My biggest gripe was the lack of surround material. In the beginning of the second disc, when they were in India, I was waiting for the rainstorm to engulf me, but never did. I waited for the elephants to give my subs a work out, but it never did. Anyone that knows me here, knows I'm not even a bass fanatic. The battles in Gaugamela and India sounded decent, but nothing noteworthy. The only saving grace was that it wasn't harsh or bright sounding.

Transformers was light years better. So were Cars and Ratatouille. Heck, even the opening fire scene in Chuck and Larry was better.

As for the movie:

I liked the Director's Cut when it first came out on DVD. The final cut just seem to ramble on, especially Hopkins' monologue at the end. I wanted to like it more. I knew Stone wanted to expose Alexander's flaws more; make him more vunerable. I also wanted to see more of what was driving him east, other than pride. (maybe his mother?!) He's an interesting character, and has huge potential for a great movie. But either Stone had good intentions and missed the mark or I'm not smart enough to put it all together yet. I'm definitely gonna check out Stone's commentary. Maybe he has some insight for me.

The added gore didn't do anything to make the battles any better. Distracting if anything. Dawson's boobies didn't add anything to her scenes either. Jolie's accent was embarrassing. Only Val Kilmer, Vangelis, and the production designer showed up to work.
post #74 of 81 Old 11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

you have to go into system maintenance and into the persistent storage. Once you're in there delete the common user data files and also any common user data files under the WB banner. This should be all you need to do if you don't care about your bookmarks you can just delete the whole Warner banner and that should take care of it.

thanks,
will try tonight
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #75 of 81 Old 11-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

I may be in the minority but i wish more longer movies(2 hrs+) at least when shown in theaters had a 5 minute or so intermission like they used to do in the 70's and years before.I hate having to leave he theater to take care of buisness or to get more food/drinks in the middle of a flick.The last time it happened was in the middle of The DaVinci Code and, as luck would have it, i missed a rather important part.
post #76 of 81 Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 PM

The added gore didn't do anything to make the battles any better. Distracting if anything. Dawson's boobies didn't add anything to her scenes either. Jolie's accent was embarrassing. Only Val Kilmer, Vangelis, and the production designer showed up to work.[/quote]

I agree with all the above ,but you dont rate Rosario's boobies ?? That to me was the only thing worthwhile about this abortion of a film.
post #77 of 81 Old 11-20-2007, 10:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post

Doesn't have the greatest face (still very pretty IMO) but from the neck down she's AMAZING....but yeah i need to know more about these included scenes that feature her.

I saw the movie on sale at BB today for $18....almost bought it but decided against it......wish i would have now.

Yeah, the included scenes are really good. She has the closest thing to perfect breasts that I've seen.
post #78 of 81 Old 11-21-2007, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbled View Post

akbled,
Worked like a charm. Played flawlessly. Thanks and again the forum comes through.
John

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #79 of 81 Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayray View Post

akbled,
Worked like a charm. Played flawlessly. Thanks and again the forum comes through.
John

Yeah it's funny I had to do the same thing on Sunday night. When I first got the disk I checked them both as I heard about the problems and they both worked. Then after I watch the first sure enough second won't play.
post #80 of 81 Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead View Post

It bomb at the box office and reviews were horrible.Which means it must be a good movie.BOB

Usually yes, but in this case the film is loaded with problems:
  1. Every character is miscast horribly... Jolee, Farrell, etc, etc.
  2. For such a great military leader and strategist, they dont spend nearly enough time on that aspect of his life
  3. Has that "Hollywood glitz" effect and just doesnt seem authentic like Braveheart or Kingdom of Heaven.
  4. Ho-hum battle scenes, nothing new.
  5. Too much time on sexuality issues...I mean who freegin cares? How about MORE military and cool stuff?

Oliver Stone is a clown and ruins many films that could otherwise be awesome. Too bad. A REAL director needs to pick up this story and really run with it. Colin Farrell? OMG... he actually makes Orlando Bloom seem bearable!
post #81 of 81 Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Sorry for bumping such an old thread. But what threads in this forum aren't going to be old if not under current discussion? it's not like there have been any recent releases...

I finally watched most of this last night (been in shrink wrap for over two years!). One thing I noticed about the picture quality: it was great most of the time, but there were the occasional scenes that looked like up-converted SD-DVD resolution.

One scene in particular: the close-up of the moon as it starts a lunar eclipse right before the big battle for the Persian empire (Battle of Gaugamela). There is definite jaggies along the edges of the moon (smoothed out, but still there).

Another scene where it seemed obvious was during the round-table discussion in Bactria (where Alexander ignores the advice of his generals about marrying a barbarian) - didn't jot down the exact time, but there is one cut, lasting about 5 seconds, where a character walks past a wall torch and the jaggies are very obvious.

Anyone else notice this? What, you can't remember and refuse to watch this again?

Anyway, the movie is very sweeping it what it is trying to accomplish, but like others, I feel it falls a little short of its goals.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page