Advertisement

post #62 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY View Post

The Ironman trailer is louder, but even if you turn it down to a similar level there is more bass.

How do I evaluate soundtrack. Well first I run a rehearsal and make some minor changes to the sub bass extension output and LFE.1 sub bass discrete channel where two sub are used, I’ll then adjust the overall master fader level a few db down, test the trailer out, some are Dolby 2.0 encoded so I’ll use pro-logic to heighten the atmosphere of the trailer, if its Dolby 5.1 encoded I’ll play the volume at a leaser level, so when it comes to the main feature the level will go up to artistically fit the film sub bass extension and LFE.1 levels will be adjusted quickly so that no one notices the differences expect that there in for a treat.

That is art most of you don’t follow and for some former projectionists we take a pride in presentation, doesn’t mater what size screen you have, just as long the sound, is going to knock your socks off.
post #63 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
I loved the bass in this, it wasn't overcooked like they do on a lot of dvd's. It blended in perfectly with the rest of the sound and was very palpable during quite a few spots. Loved it!

post #64 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 92
plenty bass for me (hda20, onkyo 705 to as-p400 set at 60 hZ crossover and '8') in a 500 sq foot room.

Quit failing to flip the switch
post #65 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR View Post

I loved the bass in this, it wasn't overcooked like they do on a lot of dvd's. It blended in perfectly with the rest of the sound and was very palpable during quite a few spots. Loved it!

+1
post #66 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I would venture a guess that since there is not one thread about the low end / LFE in the SUBWOOFER forum, that the bass is likely very good...but far from the best.

Go throw in War of the Worlds, then your receiver up to '0' for a bass fanatic's wet dream!

EDIT: There were some War of the Worlds threads where folks blew up, bottomed out or otherwise stressed their subs to bad outcomes. There were a few threads in the subwoofer forum as this soundtrack is one of the top LFE tracks around..

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #67 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wheres' your sub. Transformers gave my sub the best workout it's had since Band of Brothers import

Only watches movies on celluloid in the DOP's personal home theater.
post #68 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

1:56:10. 'nuff said!
post #69 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Where's the BASS???

Jeez... the opening scene where the Helicopter transforms and sends a pulse wave through the ground almost shook the bricks out of my fireplace!

XA1, FW Version 2.3

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #70 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Firmware on my A1 is 2.0 I believe. I was just at home and played with this some. If I go up and put my hand on the sub its definately doing work, but the LFE is not very loud. That first military base assault scene is definately quiet on the LFE. I would think that one would be kickin.

If I turn the sub up from about 55% to 75% it sounds more like I think it should later on in the movie, but that initial fight scene seems kinda weak no matter what I do.

So it still sounds pretty good, but the LFE is way less than what I'm used to with my setup with the same settings. So that makes me think its either the disk or the mix. Could it really be the disk?

If I take a bass reference scene (like darla tapping on the glass in nemo) and try it with the same exact settings and the same volume, it damn near shakes the room apart. It has got to be the disk.
post #71 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I would venture a guess that since there is not one thread about the low end / LFE in the SUBWOOFER forum, that the bass is likely very good...but far from the best.

Go throw in War of the Worlds, then your receiver up to '0' for a bass fanatic's wet dream!

EDIT: There were some War of the Worlds threads where folks blew up, bottomed out or otherwise stressed their subs to bad outcomes. There were a few threads in the subwoofer forum as this soundtrack is one of the top LFE tracks around..

Jeff, I have done this with WOTW at the same settings and it literally rattled dishes out of the cabinets upstairs. I think perhaps the LFE mix on this disk is just not to my liking.
post #72 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader View Post

Like I said, properly calibrated SVS PB12. It was a little more than 199

This was with the A1 player. Maybe the issue is player specific? Since I'm doing PCM out the player is doing the decoding, maybe its screwing something up?

Honestly I'm a noob in some areas, but I love my bass. Something was definately up.

Wanna trade? Mine worked fine

Is this a problem with any other disks? I would assume it is a setting on the audio out but I don't know the A1 well enough. Have you ever tried the analog outs?
post #73 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Where's the BASS???

Jeez... the opening scene where the Helicopter transforms and sends a pulse wave through the ground almost shook the bricks out of my fireplace!

XA1, FW Version 2.3

This one exactly, I noticed the issue here. I thought that would have brought the house down. Its very weak. The similar effect in LOTR at the beginning when Sarumon is defeated nearly blows the couches over. I don't get what is going on at all.
post #74 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2000 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
Compared to listening to a number of TrueHD and DTS Master HS tracks lately, I found Transformers to be as good as the DD+ format allows, but lacking in transparency and depth when compared to the newer formats.

Regarding bass, I found the mix to be odd - at times, especially when they were trying to establish a 'menacing mood' during quieter passages, the deep end resonated enormously - almost too loud - but when the soundtrack got real busy, at times I thought the bass was thin - perhaps a limitation of a more compressed audio format.

Setup is a 905, with Def Tech Mythos STs, CLR 2300, BPVX/Ps sides, BPVP rear (with MK MX 80 Sub) - Audessy calibrated, and sound levels verified with sound meter.
post #75 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1674 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:

Jeff, I have done this with WOTW at the same settings and it literally rattled dishes out of the cabinets upstairs. I think perhaps the LFE mix on this disk is just not to my liking.

I know...I can feel pressure waves standing up the hairs on the back of my neck when the ground gives as the TriPod emerges from the earth and when the first Tri Pod emphatically puts his thunderous foot down on the pavement.... it just shakes my screen like a sheet in the wind!!!

OK back to Transformers...but man do I like BIG bass!!!

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #76 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

Where's the BASS???

XA1, FW Version 2.3

What WirelessGuru said @ approx. -10 dBc below REF LEVEL!!! Great dusting the wall hangin's, pictures and chasing out the little critters hangin' around the wall cracks (caused by my SVS ), side windows & skylite!!!

HD-A1 w/v2.3 FW

Phil
post #77 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Chances are this title went through a "home theater remix" for release to DVD and HD-DVD. Many films are "tamed' from what was heard in the theater to supposedly better suit the home theater environment. I've found other films with less low end that I would expect for what I'm seeing on the screen.
post #78 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Well one quick thing I can try, my neighbor across the street has the disk so I'll throw his in. That would really be something if it was the disk. I mean how could that be? Actually first I'll update my firmware as I see there is a new one, and then try that. I'll report back. So strange, this is the only single disk I immediately thought my sub had gotten unplugged on. Bizzare.
post #79 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 501
HD-A1 (firmware 2.2) via HDMI (PCM) and the bass shook the foundation of the house . My sub will go to 16Hz and honestly , for the first time , I felt maybe that was not low enough while listening to Transformers (especially during the Ironhide flip) . Tons of bass here , even the first part of the film showing the shadows of the planes flying across the desert was rockin . This was at reference volume which I honestly felt was a bit too intense for my current room but it sure is a fun ride .

--- Jason

HT = JVC RS40 / Lumagen Radiance / Vivitek 1186 /@133" / Denon x5200 7.3.4 Atmos / B&K 5000 II amp / Boston VR2/VR12/CR67 speakers / Rythmik 12" subs x2 / CV 15" sub / Sony BDP s1000ES / Yamaha DV-S5860 / Toshiba HD-A3 / PureAV PF31
Media Room = Samsung 65KS8000 / Denon x3300 / Klipsch speakers / Velodyne subs / Samsung K8500 / PS4 Pro + PSVR / WiiU / PS3 / 360 / Wii / 1080 TI - i7 game PC / Multi-Arcade / My HT SLIDESHOW
post #80 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

I experienced the same lack of LFE... I have a JL fathom 113 in a 2000-2500 sealed basement and the sub usually rocks the house... i'm using a XA2(2.5) going hdmi to an integra 9.8... I just didn't get the wow bass i expected... i thought the sound was very good but just don't get how everyone else seems to have it brining down the house... i had it on -5MV...
post #81 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frockc View Post

I experienced the same lack of LFE... I have a JL fathom 113 in a 2000-2500 sealed basement and the sub usually rocks the house... i'm using a XA2 going hdmi to an integra 9.8... I just didn't get the wow bass i expected... i thought the sound was very good but just don't get how everyone else seems to have it brining down the house... i had it on -5MV...

Thank god some other people are confirming this, I thought I was losing my mind. I have my AVR set at -5 and my SVS at about 55 %. Usually this is more DB than reccommended. I can't believe the mix would be different on different disks, but what else could it be?

When I get home I'm going to try it with the SD transformers disk. The sound mix would be the same, correct?
post #82 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:

Thank god some other people are confirming this, I thought I was losing my mind. I have my AVR set at -5 and my SVS at about 55 %. Usually this is more DB than reccommended. I can't believe the mix would be different on different disks, but what else could it be?

When I get home I'm going to try it with the SD transformers disk. The sound mix would be the same, correct?

the mix is the same. I got a hold of the DVD early and was very disappointed in the mix. Just no wow factor like the theater, and my sub can handle wow just fine. I was shaking the walls with lots of movies the day before. I had to pop in another DVD afterwards just to make sure my settings were still fine in the AVR or something. the HD DVD's mix is the same mix with a bit "richer" sound. It's definitely a bit better and the bass is improved a little, but it is still rather disappointing.
post #83 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

i would just guess that people run there subs hotter or turn the LFE controls up... but who knows...
post #84 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 724
I am using the analog outs of my HD-A1 and the bass is stellar. It took awhile to get the HD-A1 calibrated having to hand tweek all the settings to get it right but once dialed in there is no issue with bass at all. The bass on Transformers, Face/Off and Hot Fuzz, all DD+ tracks, are OUTSTANDING.

Louder is NOT better!
post #85 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:28 PM
cky

My bass was sounding insane on my Bose 321 system. I have it hooked up to using the optical cable too.
post #86 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Personally I'm thinking this is a perception thing.
So many soundtracks are so juiced up that pistols sound like howitzers.
I thought that Transformers had nice sound design.
If anything the upper-mid to high-end was a bit thin to me.
The bass was fine.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #87 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 12:36 PM

I'm running the 360 Add-on with through a cheap Pioneer receiver (via WMA), with some very budget Kenwood speakers and sub, and the bass response when I'm watching is phenomenal. Can feel every step the Transformers take. And compared to some movies I've listened too, the bass is much tighter for this film.
post #88 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I picked up a different disk at a different store, my wife and I put the new disk in and within seconds we knew the bass was back and the room was shaking again.

The funny part is the analog outs of my
XA2 (FW 2.5) sounded the same as the first disk? Don't know what the hell is going on .
post #89 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 147
now that is bizarre.

Vizio P50-C1 - My Calibration Settings
Xbox One S 2TB
PS4 Pro 2TB
post #90 of 141 Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Exactly, overcooked. I prefer Transformers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page