Transformers LFE lacking...what is your disc number? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine had a ton of LFE. I had to turn my sub down about 4db because it was just overpowering in the first few scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I am not getting up from my recliner to check the #...but my room was rattling and shaking from the bass...any more and my roof would be on top of me.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 80" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
post #33 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

This thing used more LFE than I can ever recall being used in any single film.

LFE was not just a tacked on after thought to a few explosions. Every giant robot footfall, every boom, anything that got near the bottom of the frequency range got some LFE lovin', without being overblown. It's like it goes down to LFE zone and continues... when you should be shaking and not hearing the bass so much, there's LFE down there.. man

I could listen to this movie blind and enjoy it !

This is on a 360 AO, outputting DTS into a Pioneer VSX-D812K receiver (new enough for 6/7.1, old enough to not do WMA Pro). All my speakers in my receiver are set to large, but subwoofer off (I let it mix the LFE into my front mains, Infinity IL50's with integrated 250W subs each, they are set to pull LFE internally crossovered from the speaker inputs .. this way they can do full range as they see fit even if I turn off all processing and operate in direct stereo)

post #34 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

131280 was my number as well. I had to crank up my sub over 5 decibels to get that solid bass feel back again, and even then the low frequences like the 2 shockwave scene's just weren't right.

I have the same number and feel the same way. Bass felt missing. Maybe I can go in for an exchange?
post #35 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1 View Post

I have the same number and feel the same way. Bass felt missing. Maybe I can go in for an exchange?

ok, I feel like an idiot. I had for some reason Dialogue normalizaton and Dynamic range thingamajig turned on in my A2. Turned them both off and the bass was earth shattering!!!, I must not have changed them from my last firmware update. ai yai yai, I still had to increase the bass about 2 DB in comparison to several other movies to get that same punch but it was much less than I had to crank it up to get the bass before.
post #36 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Morton View Post

I just watched it and thought the bass was lacking. I was disappointed with the soundtrack.

Buy a real audio system then, dude.. it rocked in my house lol

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #37 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarftosser View Post

You guys need to check and make sure you DONT have dynamic range compression turned on. It cuts the epaks off the highs and lows and kills your LFE.....Other users who report sound problems with this disk have fixed it by setting dynamic range compression to "off"
If you recently updated your player, trust me, the settings were reset by that firmware update.

it has to be something like this! I have a three story house, the top story is the master bedroom. my home theater is in my basement witch isn't included in the three story's, so in reality my bedroom is three story's above my home theater. Every picture frame (22 Picture Frame's) were unlevel after this movie! who knows... maybe I got lucky and bought the HD DVD that was first in line after the master!

Help a Family in need, Show Them We Care! Like it on Facebook and tweet it!
http://igg.me/p/171832?a=874546
post #38 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone considered mailing to Paramount about this? It's nice to start a thread and all, but they should be the first ones knowing about this issue (if it is one)

Cinema's often crank the bass up to excite people, we don't know how far up the volume was do we? Maybe it IS an issue, maybe it is not. Only one way to find out
post #39 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How abut we concentrate on the shockwave scene, because I do get good bass at times but the beginning was distinctly lacking.
post #40 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown Fan View Post

No ignorance here! No I haven't had a single problem that I've heard here over and over again! but really, while we are talking about problems... why don't my fantasic 4 blurry play at all? How come every disney blurry takes FOREVER to load? and when it loads... the **** still dont play right! it goes both ways!!! I'm so tired of hearing ********!!

I'm the J6P that everyone talks about here. I'm a simple supervisor in some dirty factory in detroit. I bearly make enough to be called middle class. I use an xbox add on for my movies. WHY.. with my little hd dvd set up that is basically chump change to you guys with your mega set ups does mine play perfect and you with your 2mill setup cant play ****? its just blurry guys wishing that transformers was with sony and not toshiba! Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!

My sound is friggen Great!!! Cookies... Not one problem!!! PQ... World class!!
Volume levels.. Mint! For awhile I was thinking I was the luckiest SOB around with HD DVD because I never had a combo,sync,volume,cookie,netflix problem!! But the more I read and the more I listen, The blurry crowd seems to be the only people that have problems with the HD DVD disks!!! I use a 65swx20b hitachi NON-ISF'D RPTV, pioneer VSX-D811S surround sound (El-Cheapo), Yamaha ns-777 fronts,ns-c444 center,ns-333 4 rears (2 side, 2 rear),Yamaha YST-SW305 secondary sub, Klipsch SKW-12 primary sub, Xbox360 Add on HD DVD player, With this simple set up.... WHY, WHY dont I have problems!!!

Calm the &*(^ down already!

Stop accusing BD owners from the only ones having trouble with HD DVD playback cause they aren't. Both formats have issues. What do you use for BD playback anyway? Samsung's worst BD player ever?

Quote:

Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!

Facts? I call it trolling at best cause you can't back any of this stuff up!
post #41 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I originally thought the bass in my Transformers disk was fine. That is, until I put in Hot Fuzz and had to lower the sub volume by about 12 decibels because the bass was rediculously out of control. So either my Transformers sucks, or Hot Fuzz has wayyy too much bass. I haven't calibrated in awhile, so I don't know which one is correct.
post #42 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 04:49 AM

Liked: 12
For your attention! LFE.1 is an unpredictable channel that can used at anytime with any type of level in output and frequency. One the filmmakers could have been asked to lower the dynamics as they might too intense! This was the case with the UK theatrical realise of The Da Vinci Code (2006), so just enjoy the film I'm sure the region 2 DVD will give me Empire JBL THX syndrome when it goes on general realise on 3rd December 2007.
post #43 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiTOkenobi View Post

Disc # 13128

LFE: excellant (except at the beginning, when the huge shockwave goes off, it seems like there should be a lot bass there, but there isnt. Probably the sound design though)

I'd also like to note, that I think the volume is set way too low. The problem with this is that I have to crank it up a lot, and during quieter scenes, I get very annoying buzzing coming through my speakers, because the volume on my reciever is so high.

Let me assure you there was a HUGE shockwave when I saw this at the Empire on 26th July and with 56KW of JBL THX there wouldn’t be anything less than perfection on the low end. The wave jolted me back in the rocker chair with pleasing smile that extended beyond the width of the largest THX screen in the UK!

It’s not the fault of the HD-DVD it’s more likely you’re home cinema, so re-calibrate it. The Empire often gets Dolby, in to align most films for the cinemas acoustics, something that most of you probably don’t do. You take all this (LFE.1) for granted and that’s what it really boils down to.

It’s an unpredictable channel that can happen at any moment, to support what ever the mixers or the director wishes, to add more support and drama to the films soundtrack.
post #44 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.

Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

I can confirm this in my new XA2. If using HDMI sound, make sure that your speakers are set to Large in the player I also have the subwoofer set to on in the player, though that may not make a difference.
post #45 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:

Disc #13128

LFE: Excellant from beginning to end. No problems with volume's at any point either! I'm beginning to think that 99.999% of these so called problems with "combos" "Sync" and "Volumes" and the latest one is "downloading cookies" are being manufactured by certain people that don't like HD DVD! I dont have nearly as many movies as a lot of people here at AVS, But I do have 9 titles, of which 5 are combos. NOT one disk has giving me ANY problems period! I bought superman returns day one, plays perfect, 300.. the same. One thing I have noticed though, It's only the BIG hit or popular movies that have so called problems. I've never heard one complaint about the movie The Break Up combo! How is it that ONLY the Big movies have problems? Netflix? I've rented atleast 35 to 45 HD DVD's from them and again ... No Problems! Heroes HD DVD's, downloaded the cookies.. played great! Transformers.. the same! Sorry to rant about it but its starting to get on my nerves!

REALLY? Get over yourself. There are problems, dude. I hate Blu-Ray, I mean I freakin' hate it, but come on!!!!!! There are problems with my chosen format, especially when it comes to this movie. Let's get real!!!!
post #46 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

I thought the bass was a little lacking as well (same with King Kong). I think I'm seeing that I should set:

Dialog normalization to 'OFF'
Dynamic compression to 'OFF'
All speakers to 'LARGE' (since I'm using HDMI)

.... any other tips for settings to check?
post #47 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlogle View Post

REALLY? Get over yourself. There are problems, dude. I hate Blu-Ray, I mean I freakin' hate it, but come on!!!!!! There are problems with my chosen format, especially when it comes to this movie. Let's get real!!!!

Looks like the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray format war has transformed into a hate war! How's that for punch line.
post #48 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfyncsu7 View Post

I thought the bass was a little lacking as well (same with King Kong). I think I'm seeing that I should set:

.... any other tips for settings to check?

Do you have pictures of what the front looks like and the surrounds, because I couldn’t fault “King Kong” (2005) even for region 2 DVD.
post #49 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
the frack? this isnt a BD hater thread - i have both - couldnt care less what format it comes on. One is input 2, the other 3...I mean QQ.

When the choper guy start owning the military base this is what I get.

The machine guns have no sound lower than about 1k, and only come from the center channel. His big blue splash has no LFE, no surround sound.

I can put it ANY other movie in HD DVD player and the pictures crash down in my house on the fracking credits at the same volume level...

I've been doing this a while, My system is as good as the money im willing to dump into it (15k or so) and the sound track is FRACKED UP on this disc. Or the mixing engineer was just totally high and forgot to press some buttons on the master recording.

I am going to acquire the SD version today and A/B in the same player/ same settings. Will report back when im off the wife's leash.

Twylight

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #50 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

why would those sound setting affect anything? they are for the line outs on the player...unless you are using the line outs instead of HDMI...

post #51 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Rented the SD version from Blockbuster last night. My sub is a Hsu VTF3 HO w/turbo that I've plotted down to 13Hz in room and the SD version of Transfomers had sick bass that shook the heck out of my basement theater. There's plenty of bass in the movie on the SD version.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

post #52 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but you definitely want to have all of the speakers set to "large" in the XA2's settings when using HDMI. The speaker settings in the Toshiba HD DVD players that have multichannel analog output affect PCM output over HDMI as well. By setting the speakers to "small", bass management is being done in the player. Therefore, the player isn't sending a full-range signal to your AVR. This will result in weaker and incorrect bass that is not LFE. When connected via HDMI, using bass management and distance settings in the player is only useful if you are for some reason bypassing these settings in your AVR and need them used somewhere in the signal chain.

Once again, this shouldn't explain the Transformers issue, but this is important to consider if you want everything setup properly.

Thank you for the tip. I will do it.

But. Let me also say that after I couldn't find any bass I set the receiver to "pure-audio" which shuts off the receiver's processing. I still didn't get any bass.

But I will set the speakers to large when I use my player next and I hope that everything works fine.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #53 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Well, the OP mentioned someone who tried 2 HD-DVD copies of Transformers and they sounded different from eachother in the LFE department in (I assume) the same setup...

Then there's the SD DVD which has LFE in bundles in the opening scene...?

I remember some discussion over the Revenge Of The Sith DVD - someone found the audio mix (specifically the LFE in certain scenes) to be lacking, while others found it to be reference quality.
post #54 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mine is 13128 based on the tag under the UPC code on the slip sleeve - 13127 on the back of the disc - edited

post #55 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Mathis View Post

Thank you for the tip. I will do it.

But. Let me also say that after I couldn't find any bass I set the receiver to "pure-audio" which shuts off the receiver's processing. I still didn't get any bass.

But I will set the speakers to large when I use my player next and I hope that everything works fine.

Where do you find these settings in the XA2?
post #56 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:

Where do you find these settings in the XA2? Ok I found the setting but what should I have the crossover to?
post #57 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know how I feel about the LFE on this title. I watched it last night with my son, and I had my receiver cranked to 0. I certainly wasn't overwhelmed with the LFE, even in the opening Blackout scene. However, if we're going to run with the theory that there could be too different encodes on the discs that are out there, I thought I would point out that while my case says 13128, my discs (both of them) say 13127. Therefore, when referencing a number, we should probably make sure we are speaking about the one on the disc itself.

For the record, I have an HD-XA2 with the following settings:

HDMI Audio to 'Auto'
post #58 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No ignorance here! No I haven't had a single problem that I've heard here over and over again! but really, while we are talking about problems... why don't my fantasic 4 blurry play at all? How come every disney blurry takes FOREVER to load? and when it loads... the **** still dont play right! it goes both ways!!! I'm so tired of hearing ********!!

I'm the J6P that everyone talks about here. I'm a simple supervisor in some dirty factory in detroit. I bearly make enough to be called middle class. I use an xbox add on for my movies. WHY.. with my little hd dvd set up that is basically chump change to you guys with your mega set ups does mine play perfect and you with your 2mill setup cant play ****? its just blurry guys wishing that transformers was with sony and not toshiba! Facts... HD DVD is friggen awesome and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that blurry could NEVER achive the same result as HD DVD did with transformers!!!

My sound is friggen Great!!! Cookies... Not one problem!!! PQ... World class!!
Volume levels.. Mint! For awhile I was thinking I was the luckiest SOB around with HD DVD because I never had a combo,sync,volume,cookie,netflix problem!! But the more I read and the more I listen, The blurry crowd seems to be the only people that have problems with the HD DVD disks!!! I use a 65swx20b hitachi NON-ISF'D RPTV, pioneer VSX-D811S surround sound (El-Cheapo), Yamaha ns-777 fronts,ns-c444 center,ns-333 4 rears (2 side, 2 rear),Yamaha YST-SW305 secondary sub, Klipsch SKW-12 primary sub, Xbox360 Add on HD DVD player, With this simple set up.... WHY, WHY dont I have problems!!!

Stop with the conspiracy nonsense.

I am format neutral and I have posted problems with both formats as have many other format neutral folks.

And as for the J6P stuff.

What does that have to do with it? I am not even a supervisor. I'm a steelworker and it has nothing to do with my ability to hear/feel bass.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
post #59 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 AM

13127 on the disc and the LFE is lacking on mine. This is frustrating.
post #60 of 853 Old 10-20-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twylight View Post

the frack? this isnt a BD hater thread - i have both - couldnt care less what format it comes on. One is input 2, the other 3...I mean QQ.

When the choper guy start owning the military base this is what I get.

The machine guns have no sound lower than about 1k, and only come from the center channel. His big blue splash has no LFE, no surround sound.

I can put it ANY other movie in HD DVD player and the pictures crash down in my house on the fracking credits at the same volume level...

I've been doing this a while, My system is as good as the money im willing to dump into it (15k or so) and the sound track is FRACKED UP on this disc. Or the mixing engineer was just totally high and forgot to press some buttons on the master recording.

I am going to acquire the SD version today and A/B in the same player/ same settings. Will report back when im off the wife's leash.

Twylight

LOL Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. Use the force on your wife!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page