360 HD DVD box set 'deal'... new owner? - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Are you a new HD DVD owner because of the 360 HD DVD drive + Heroes deal?
Yes, I am new to HD DVD 19 30.65%
No, I am not new to HD DVD, I just wanted the free movies 36 58.06%
Other 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So obviously this huge thing is going on at Best Buy, with the purchase of the 360 HD DVD drive you get Heroes + 2 other box sets of your choice (Matrix Trilogy, Sopranos, Mission Impossible Trilogy, Planet Earth, etc..)

How many of you who took advantage of this deal are new HD DVD owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM

Could you post a link to this promotion, I have not heard anything about it and it is of interest to me. Thanks,
-Dennis
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Are you being sarcastic or serious? I would assume sarcastic because it is all over the net right now (I think I've counted 3 or 4 forums discussing the deal). You only have 1 post though, so I'm going to assume you are serious.

Basically it goes like this:
1. A week ago a Best Buy weekly mailer comes out. It mistakenly says free Heroes season 1 boxed set w/purchase of 360 add on, and in a separate section says any 2 other HD DVDs (34.99 or less) with the purchase of any HD-DVD player. They did not exclude the add on.
2. People try to buy the add-on with 2 extra HD-DVDs. Best Buy personnel argue with most of the customers. They say it's an add on and not a player. Microsoft defines it as a player. Many people can't get the extra DVDs.
3. Many people then call BB headquarters. Lots of complaints. $70 GCs are issued. People go back to the store call headquarters at the store.
4. Apparently HQ gives up and decides to make their computers just automate the 2 free HD DVDs. Eventually someone discovers some sort of computer error that does not exclude boxed sets or DVDs over $35.
5. Everyone buys HD add on + King Kong (in box) + Heroes + any 2 DVDs or boxed sets + 5 DVD MIR (poor selection).

The one caveat is that you NEED BOTH the add on and the heroes boxed set for it to work, and it seems like stores are selling out fast. Also, it only has any chance of working till Saturday when the promotion ends, and I think some stores are wising up and only allowing the 35 or less DVDs.

That being said I'm new to HDM thanks to the BB deal, and once I turned on the 3:2 reverse pull down on my 120 Hz set I've got to say it is awesome.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 12:48 PM

yeah, they only allowed $35 and under for my two. this deal was just to good to pass up. i was going to wait until standalone players came down to try and get the most out of the audio, but with 9 free dvds i was pushed off the fence. now my question is has anyone tried returning heroes for store credit. i would love to get three more movies out of the deal. anybody else thinking about it?

Beauty, thy name is KURO.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 PM

I snagged the Addon, plus King Kong inside, Heroes S1, Sopranos S6P1, and Ultimate Maxtrix for $193 and change.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:09 PM

I was going to wait till black Friday to jump in but this deal really was too good to pass up. Add to that the BB add mix up with 2 more movies; icing on the cake! My finance bought me the 360 last month as a birthday gift so the add on was really the best way to "get my feet wet" if you will. I still want a stand alone player but this is a great way to get into HDM.

Cheers,
Jeff

HD DVD
Blu Ray
Xbox Live Tag: Indy Jeff
post #7 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Your mileage may vary.
In San Jose, CA it did not work.

Only $35 off each of the box sets...not free

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #8 of 9 Old 10-26-2007, 01:57 PM

i got mine from buy.com
post #9 of 9 Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM

Ever since the format war started I had been waiting to see whether Blu-ray or HD DVD would come out on top... then I heard about this awesome deal.

Heroes S1, Kong, Transformers, 2001, and 5 other movies plus a drive that also works on my PC for $180

How in the world could I pass that up?

-Chris H.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page