Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 03:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
*Big files in this thread. You may have scroll to the right see them all*

My own personal review is the transfer is excellent, consistent, no distracting artifacts or macroblocking although it gets too grainy in some parts. This is one of Paramount's best efforts and I would rank this at upper TIER 1 for HD DVD PQ.

HD is not limited to the movie but they also have supplemental material on Disc 2 in high definition. Take a look:

Very thorough presentation in almost everything you need to know in the making of the movie and the history of the TV series (or the toy line for that matter) its based from. There is also some extra goodies for the fans like graphics and trailers. Well thats it and before I continue here is something I found that made me smile

Before time began, there was the cube . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #3 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #4 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #5 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #6 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 AM

Liked: 10
Great, Xylon! Thanks for comparison.
post #7 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

That's a pretty decent jump, especially the space shot. Look at all the missing stars.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #8 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Xylon, any shots of scenes without less out of focus subjects or less motion blurred subjects?

An all in focus static shot will be great to determine the definition.

|
post #9 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, a static shot with a large depth of field would be the best to show off the detail. Could be kind of hard to find in this movie though.
post #10 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Thanks yet again for comparo's, Xylon. I'd be curious to see the shots in some of those low light indoor scenes to see how the two versions compare. One or two shots when Sam is looking for the glasses didn't look too hot on my end. Other than that (on my display), I love the HD transfer effort.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #11 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sweeet! Good job bro!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #12 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM

Pretty underwhelming quality difference, nothing like the Hot Fuzz comparison shots, for example.

Maybe more static shots like someone mentioned above (megan fox face shot ), or perhaps the PQ of the DVD is just really good and the PQ of the HD-DVD is just average.

Blu-ray FTW
post #13 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul View Post

Yeah, a shot static shot with a large depth of field would be the best to show off the detail. Could be kind of hard to find in this movie though.

We will get there soon

post #14 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The movie PQ looks really nice, to bad I dont really have any interest of the movie itself to justify a purchase.
post #15 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 01:11 PM

Great shots there Xylon... did any of you guys notice in the movie after ironhide jumps over the blue dress lady... when Jazz jumps on Devastator that its EXACTLY like the 86 cartoon movie where KUP jumps on devastator.. he even says the same thing Jazz says.. "Decepticon Punk". Great part.. nice throw back. I noticed it right off along with the scenes of Prime and Megatron in the final battle.

What made me think of it was the pic Xylon posted of Prime and Megatron fighting from the old cartoon... that was pretty much redone in the movie as well.
post #16 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #17 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:07 PM

nice, that garden shot is really good ^

Blu-ray FTW
post #18 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Very nice.
post #19 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:09 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Great shot for an easy to see improvement, at least to me.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #20 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Big difference!
post #21 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Great pic comparo. Look at the AA (101) badge on Fave's (?) arm and the air force sargent stripes on the other actor's arm. You really see the diff's.

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #22 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, according to the DU Test the definition is way above 720p, you need a FullHD display to appreciate this movie:

720 DUTest Mouseover:
http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/...dmouseoby1.png

|
post #23 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I saw the SD version playing on a HD (probably 728p) set at Microcenter the other day, the SD version during explosions and fast movement stuff (i.e., 80% of the movie) is artifact city.. granted they probably had sharpness maxed out on the set too making it worse..
post #24 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the mouseover comparison between the DVD upscaled and the HD DVD version:

http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/...s/9e752cbd.png

Xylon, is there ANY static shots, not motion blurred, of the CG robots? CG is usually very defined.

|
post #25 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The plants around the fountain show a greater difference.

I don't think there's a single static shot in the whole movie, or at least one that lasts more than a second. Even the Transformers themselves don't stay still long enough to take in all the detail.
post #26 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancescoP View Post

Here is the mouseover comparison between the DVD upscaled and the HD DVD version:

http://horn.hdtvtotal.com/hdtvtotal/...s/9e752cbd.png

Xylon, is there ANY static shots, not motion blurred, of the CG robots? CG is usually very defined.

FrancescoP,

The mouseover comparison does not work in my case.......... waited and only the dvd picture would load up.

edit: Now it shows the HDDVD first, and then the dvd shows up, but won't go back to the HD DVD version..... ah no biggie. Thanks for the continued effort.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #27 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitron View Post

Pretty underwhelming quality difference, nothing like the Hot Fuzz comparison shots, for example.

Maybe more static shots like someone mentioned above (megan fox face shot ), or perhaps the PQ of the DVD is just really good and the PQ of the HD-DVD is just average.

On my monitor there is a great difference between the two.

Our eyesight comes into play here also.

Great job as usual Xylon!

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #28 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Would you kindly PM me an untagged version of this for my PC background?

http://www.imageviper.com/displayima...mersextra6.jpg

PSN - nnarum
post #29 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #30 of 182 Old 10-27-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page