Rambo : Why don't they make movies like this anymore? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aC39 View Post

Odd... I always thought he said "Everything".

And unless the online script AND on disc subtitles are wrong, that's what he says.

The online script is not the actual shooting script, so it is not a definitive answer by any means. Also, subtitles are never always right. Plus, different versions of the film have different subtitles as well. The copy you have or are referring to may say that he says "Everything", but others also say that he says "Name it". The Blu-ray release being one of them.

Here is the clip that I have slowed down. I took a wav clip ripped from the DVD, slowed the tempo down to -85 in Audacity. Here it is http://www.mediafire.com/?7kndzw2nele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamaster View Post

Sounds like "name it" to me:

Rambo's confusing phrase on Youtube.

LOL. I like the below reply from youtube:

"Namor." In the DVD commentary, they discuss a lost opening sequence in which Rambo tracks and kills mermen in the Puget sound.
post #33 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs View Post

Wow.. it had been a few years since I'd seen this movie. Why can't they make "action" films like this anymore. I mean it bares no resemblence to modern action films. It has true character development, a deep plot, storyline, social commentary etc etc.

The film was shot wonderfully, dark colours, you can really feel the winter and the scenery is lovely. It does look much better in HD-DVD than it did on DVD (it looked good on DVD too).

Alot of the movie is dark, so its not going to punch you out with bright high def colours, so don't buy this thinking you have a demo disk.

What you do have is something which really looks like film. No edge enhancement, natural smooth detail. I really like it, wish I had a CRT projector to enjoy it on, as its a completely analog type presentation.

So if your into classic films as opposed to blockbusters, make sure you rent/buy yourself a copy. Stallone as a scerious actor.

I still havn't seen Rambo II and III. I don't really want to as I think it will spoil the legacy of the first. Its a film that ends, and wasn't ever designed for a sequel.

Daniel.

I agree, Rambo-First Blood doesn't need a sequel. However, I enjoy all three, have seen them several times. They have a certain appeal to me, partly because of the fact that all 3 were banned in the former communist East Germany. You should at least give the second film a try.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist

post #34 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Technically, the movie is called First Blood. Rambo was only added to the title after the sequels were made. Alone, it's a pretty damn good film. They went cheap with the hype in cheesy action movies of the time and somehow thought the Rambo character would be perfect as the new action hero--never the original intent.

This is one of those cases were the original is in a different league from its sequels, they are almost different genres.

Although...I still love the wonderful irony in Rambo 3 where Stallone is helping the Taliban "freedom fighters" fight their war against the evil Russians. good stuff.
post #35 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I did it. I just ordered the French HD DVD of Rambo First Blood. After weeks of debating about importing this title, I couldn't take it anymore. I really like this movie and that is the bottom line. I can't wait for it to arrive.
post #36 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 PM

Two things about First Blood:

1. At the end when the Colonel (Richard Crenna) walks into the decimated sheriff's station and Rambo states why he went to "War" with the sheriff is the most emotional part of the film for me. In that 5 minutes of tirade he is able to say what the vast majority of Vietnam Vets wanted to tell America at that time. To this day this Vietnam Vet, well let me just say thank you Mr. Stallone for making this movie.

2. Alternate ending I'd love to see: A panning away shot of the town and when the camera is high enough in the sky a shot of the roads leading into the town full of Vietnam vets on bikes and whatever coming to the aid of a VV like themselves, similiar to the ending of Field of Dreams.
post #37 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance F View Post

Two things about First Blood:

1. At the end when the Colonel (Richard Crenna) walks into the decimated sheriff's station and Rambo states why he went to "War" with the sheriff is the most emotional part of the film for me. In that 5 minutes of tirade he is able to say what the vast majority of Vietnam Vets wanted to tell America at that time. To this day this Vietnam Vet, well let me just say thank you Mr. Stallone for making this movie.

That scence was my favorite of the movie. I'm not a VV, but that scene was very powerful to me. Loved First Blood!

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

post #38 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
Great movie. I've got all 3 on HD-DVD. As well as a few of the DVD versions laserdisc and DVHS
post #39 of 52 Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx View Post

Great movie. I've got all 3 on HD-DVD. As well as a few of the DVD versions laserdisc and DVHS

They should release a nice trilogy boxset of the HD DVDs. Your mention of the laserdisc reminds me of the japanese LD boxset sitting somewhere in the basement. Have to watch it for the sake of the good old laserdisc times

post #40 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
its odd I've got first blood on laserdisc and its the japanesse version as well I picked it up at a used book store for $3 bucks a few years back. Don't have 3 on LD but may pick up the trilogy. First blood has made it to just about every fomat out their oddy enough.

Anyway prehapps I will watch the HD-DVD set tonight never got around to watching 2 and 3 in HD. I've watched first blood a few times already.
I may get the BD used just to add to my on going first blood collection.
post #41 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Its very funny but my favourite movies the last years are made by british directors. Its almost like they arnt as "corrupted" by the studios the same way american directors tend to be. Or maybe they just have a better eye for good scripts. Or is it just that Hans Zimmer makes the music for the movies.

But I dont like the direction Hollywood movies tend to go the last couple of years. They seem to spend to much money on effects and to little on characters and story.

So even if some movies that are made today are great, I agree with the OP that why cant they make movies like First blood anymore.
post #42 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 08:26 AM

I think he says, "Nyeameuit." Is that right?

First Blood was the best and should have been the only. In the book he dies so I would imagine they had every intention of eventually making a sequal. Otherwise that's how they would have ended it.

"Aund theiyre wuaaas this kid, he saayies "Shuiine, shuuuus shuiine" Aund theyire waas thiiis buomb, aund blud aulll ouver!! Aund heees scueamin "muy legs, muy legs!" aund I sayse "Ui cuant fuind your legs"

Seeing as how this was one of his 10 lines I think that helped the film alot.

As for the new one, I like the part where he cuts the guys head off and then shoots the 50 cal into the jeep drivers chest. I miss violent rated R films. If anyone can put the link up to the trailor that would rock. I don't remember where I saw it at.

To stay on topic of HD DVD, I am most certainly considering picking up First Blood from over sees. The DVD I have is the original release. So, it may be time to upgrade.
post #43 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 AM

This debate is reminding me of that old (but great!) CCR song "Bad Moon Rising". Half the population still thinks the guy is singing "There's a bathroom on the right"!
post #44 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's pretty funny.
post #45 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs View Post

Wow.. it had been a few years since I'd seen this movie. Why can't they make "action" films like this anymore. I mean it bares no resemblence to modern action films. It has true character development, a deep plot, storyline, social commentary etc etc.

The film was shot wonderfully, dark colours, you can really feel the winter and the scenery is lovely. It does look much better in HD-DVD than it did on DVD (it looked good on DVD too).

Alot of the movie is dark, so its not going to punch you out with bright high def colours, so don't buy this thinking you have a demo disk.

What you do have is something which really looks like film. No edge enhancement, natural smooth detail. I really like it, wish I had a CRT projector to enjoy it on, as its a completely analog type presentation.

So if your into classic films as opposed to blockbusters, make sure you rent/buy yourself a copy. Stallone as a scerious actor.

I still havn't seen Rambo II and III. I don't really want to as I think it will spoil the legacy of the first. Its a film that ends, and wasn't ever designed for a sequel.

Daniel.

The first film is NOT "Rambo", it's "First Blood", and it's a HUGELY superior film to either of the extremely marginal sequels.
post #46 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie_Bruce View Post

I think he says, "Nyeameuit." Is that right?

First Blood was the best and should have been the only. In the book he dies so I would imagine they had every intention of eventually making a sequal. Otherwise that's how they would have ended it.

"Aund theiyre wuaaas this kid, he saayies "Shuiine, shuuuus shuiine" Aund theyire waas thiiis buomb, aund blud aulll ouver!! Aund heees scueamin "muy legs, muy legs!" aund I sayse "Ui cuant fuind your legs"

Seeing as how this was one of his 10 lines I think that helped the film alot.

As for the new one, I like the part where he cuts the guys head off and then shoots the 50 cal into the jeep drivers chest. I miss violent rated R films. If anyone can put the link up to the trailor that would rock. I don't remember where I saw it at.

To stay on topic of HD DVD, I am most certainly considering picking up First Blood from over sees. The DVD I have is the original release. So, it may be time to upgrade.

how does he die in the book?
post #47 of 52 Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d james View Post

how does he die in the book?

In the novel, Trautman kills Rambo.
post #48 of 52 Old 11-16-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to the HD DVD, the english subtitles say "everything"
post #49 of 52 Old 11-16-2007, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

The first film is NOT "Rambo", it's "First Blood", and it's a HUGELY superior film to either of the extremely marginal sequels.

correct and correct.

first blood is a fine movie on many different levels. good story/plot, good moviemaking, etc.

the next 2 are trash. actually, i'm assuming the 3rd one is trash, since after seeing the 2nd one, i wasn't about to pay to see the 3rd.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #50 of 52 Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 PM

argh.... i just watched this again the other night (was comparing the blu-ray to the DVD for fun... and boredom...) and i heard, and have always heard "the enemy"...

it always made sense to me, as later in the film he would have to fight off the enemy attacks from the ensuing police officers, etc...

on a side note, jerry goldsmith is my favorite composer and his score for 'rambo: first blood part II' is probably one of the best scores in this genre... absolutely engrossing and enthralling to the end...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steven Soderbergh's 'King of the Hill' on Blu-Ray.
That's all I want... Is that so much to ask?
post #51 of 52 Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anim8r View Post

[...]
on a side note, jerry goldsmith is my favorite composer and his score for 'rambo: first blood part II' is probably one of the best scores in this genre... absolutely engrossing and enthralling to the end...

Fully agree.

When comparing the 3 parts, I think part 2 isn't bad either as far as the story line is concerned, kind of a continuation of First Blood if you accept that they are only loosely coupled. P2 has everything what makes a good action movie, even dramatic moments in which you feel sympathy for him. Part3 is pure action, I find a single person fighting against the enemy quite entertaining.

Picture quality wise I would rate the 3 movies: 2 > 1 > 3
The third suffers a bit from the numerous desert scenes with lots of dust, but has some HD moments.

post #52 of 52 Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs
I still havn't seen Rambo II and III. I don't really want to as I think it will spoil the legacy of the first.

I saw II and III and I didnt really like them (2 is ok but still doesnt cut it) .. The first IS THE BEST!!

I have a 1987 release by IVE (Print date 12/26/87)

It says IVE on the tape label but on the tape itself it says LIVE home video (Not IVE)

I love this movie..... I give it a 10/10!!!!! -- Im grateful to have the release I have,its beautiful in every way (Sound is warm and beautiful also)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page