anybody using zip.ca for hd-dvds? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have searched around but I can't find a thread specifically discussing this, so I thought I'd post: if you use zip.ca specifically to rent hd-dvds, what has been your experience like? do they have a turnaround similar to dvds or do you have to wait a long time to get a title? is it getting better/worse as time goes by (and presumably more people rent in HD)?

I am considering subscribing and I'd like to hear more about people's experiences with renting HD media through them: thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM

I have been using Rogers.ca (powered by Zip.ca) for 4-5 months now. While I do have a beef when it comes to turnaround, overall, they are ok. I find them pretty quick to send out HD DVDs after you have been with their service for over a month, sometimes you get the titles you want, sometimes you don't. I have had the "stinker" Aeon Flux on my "zip list" for over 4 months, and they have yet to send it to me? Is this title that popular? Overall, I have come to the conclusion that while stand alone video rental stores refuse to stock HD DVDs (for now, anyways) this is the only way to go, especially when I have calculated that my monthly charge of $26.00 breaks down to only $2.65 per title! Now, this all depends on how fast you watch and return your HD DVDs.

-Murray

R.I.P. Lou Ashby
post #3 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

If there is a Rogers Video available nearby, why not lobby them to bring in more (and specific) titles? They have a stated company policy to support HD DVD. Plus, the more titles in the stores for rental, the more that will be recycled for bargain sale prices.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 PM

I've been using zip.ca for a couple of years, and stepped up to hd dvd this year.

I'd pretty much echo the earlier post, hd dvd's can be slow, I get 1 to 3 on average per week, with about 20 on my list, but I did get 4 this week, not extremely popular ones, but still not bad. I think they had been on my list for 1 - 2 months.

p.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-09-2007, 08:39 PM

I was renting movies from Zip.ca exactly one year ago and I quit after
getting about 12 movies. Every disc (and I'm not exaggerating at all) that I received were scratched so bad that they wouldn't play the entire movie without freezing my player at least once. Jarhead froze so bad that I had to unplug the player from the wall socket three times before the end of the movie.
That was the final straw and I quit after that.
Even if it takes another year, I'll wait for the HD-DVDs to be available for rent in town.

Doug
post #6 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

I find the turnaround time for Zip to be pretty good, but that is probably only because my list has blu-ray, HD DVD and a few SD DVD discs on it... some movies take FOREVER though. I signed up in July because I wanted to see 'THE HOST' on high def...I didn't get to see it until last week (and pretty much thought it sucked)...but other times it's great, I had TALK TO ME HD DVD at my door last Tuesday (ok, 2 tuesdays ago - the same day it came out).

Hit and miss but since they have a wider selection than rogers or blockbuster, I'm fine with it for now.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCinON View Post

I was renting movies from Zip.ca exactly one year ago and I quit after
getting about 12 movies. Every disc (and I'm not exaggerating at all) that I received were scratched so bad that they wouldn't play the entire movie without freezing my player at least once. Jarhead froze so bad that I had to unplug the player from the wall socket three times before the end of the movie.
That was the final straw and I quit after that.
Even if it takes another year, I'll wait for the HD-DVDs to be available for rent in town.

Doug

It's amazing that some of these discs will even play they are so scratched up, but so far, only one disc of the Sopranos caused my HDA20 to skip twice and upon examining the disc afterward, I noticed that the scratches did indeed reach the information layer.

Lately though, I have been getting discs that look close to brand new!

It still is funny how they figure out what to send you as I have also been sent out HD DVDs that will arrive right on their normal release day and some very old releases have been on my list for months and months and nothing!

-Murray

R.I.P. Lou Ashby
post #8 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM

I started with them recently and the first shipment had a disc go missing. They had no complaints, though - shipped out another right away.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-10-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've been using Zip.ca for about 2.5 years now. I started with DVD and switched my entire qeue over to HD DVD about 3 months ago. Its a tiny bit slower, but not really noticeable. I still get 12-16 movies per month depending on how fast I get them back to them. Not bad for $25 CDN ($27 US..heh heh).....

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-11-2007, 12:04 AM

I'm using Zip for HD DVD's and it's been pretty good so far. Just keep your list loaded up (40 minimum, I know they say 20...) and if it's all HD, then that's what you'll get. If you mix in SD's, then those'll probably ship first. Hi Def is popular there. Amazing selection.

I only had 1 disc that wouldn't play (not HD), since May, and they sent me a new one the next day. I've also had one arrived cracked and they fixed that right away too.

Try it. If you search (try redflagdeals.ca) you can probably find a code to get 3 or 4 weeks free trial instead of 2 weeks. Or let one of us refer you so we can get the points for it

Also, don't forget that if you sign up for ScotiaStar (www.scotiastar.com) on your Scotia VISA, you'll get 10% off your monthly charge on each bill.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-11-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
One change with Rogers aka Zip.ca, the discs are in much better condition than before, fewer scratches. So far no playback issues.

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #12 of 13 Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM

That reminds me - If you're thinking of signing up with Zip or Rogers (powered by Zip) don't forget that Zip offers reward points for lots of different actions. I don't think Rogers does that, and I'm not certain that Rogers offers any unique rewards (same fee, same movies, less free stuff!)

Might as well get something for nothing!
post #13 of 13 Old 02-01-2011, 04:29 AM

My experience with zip.ca hadn't been very good hence I had switched to dvdlink.ca. They have a huge collection of more than 2200+ blu-ray titles to choose from and lots of amazing combo deals.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page