Got Tideland (German import) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I received "Tideland" from Amazon Germany today.

It was a blind buy, haven't seen the movie yet.

Released by Concorde on 7th of November.
Amazon Germany shipped my copy on 5th already.

Video: 1080p High Definition 2.35:1 / VC-1
Audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1 German, DTS-HD 5.1 English
Subtitles: Optional German
Extras: 107 minutes

PQ looks excellent at first glance.

Some pics:

HD DVD: 387 (new: Taking Lives ; list)
Blu-ray: 262 (new: North Face (UK) ; list)
HD DVD-R: 262 (new: Charlie Wilson's War ; list)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 02:19 AM

Thanks a lot for the photos. I need to order this one asap!
post #3 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 03:26 AM

What I like is, that Concorde at least puts a small movie booklet in the case, not just promotional booklets.
Many other distributors should learn a lesson from them.
post #4 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkde View Post

What I like is, that Concorde at least puts a small movie booklet in the case, not just promotional booklets.
Many other distributors should learn a lesson from them.

I like that too, although I can't read the text in German. Overall I think Concorde's discs are very stylishly designed, including the covers and inserts etc. I have 3 of their releases so far, Silent Hill, Underworld and now Tideland. Technical merits of their discs are very good as well.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finished watching the movie. It's a very original movie and beatifully shot with very wide angle lenses. Lot of great artistic locations and shooting angles. As far as the story goes, it's rather difficult to describe. Anyway, apparently Gilliam has called it "Alice in Wonderland meets Psycho" or something like that. I felt it had some stylistic similarities to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" as well. It's a pretty uncompromising film, it's easy to imagine that Gilliam has had full control over the film this time.

There is an introduction by Gilliam at the beginning of the film where he makes a confession that "Many of you are not going to like this film. Many of you, luckily, are going to love it. And then there are many of you that are not going to know what to think when the film finishes, but hopefully, you'll be thinking." "The film is seen through the eyes of a child. If it is shocking, it's because it's innocent." His advice is basically to try to watch it as if through the eyes of a child, with an open mind.

I liked it pretty much as a whole, it stayed very interesting throughout and the cinematography was very beatiful. I can well understand that many will not like it though. I felt it wasn't so much plot driven, it was more of a fantasy with a lot of dreamlike elements that invoke various emotions and feelings. It includes some grotesque elements as well, which would fit well into a horror movie, but I felt this movie didn't really try to scare and those elements were used as kind of "fantasy props".

PQ was very good. Not all shots are tack sharp though, but I think it's directly related to how the film has been shot. Use of extreme wide angle lenses results in some variation in the look as well. Dark scenes look pretty good as well. I think the transfer itself is fine indeed. AQ is good as well, though the film is not using surround sound that extensively. It would have been nice to have English subtitles as well as some of the dialogue was a bit hard to catch in full.

The movie starts right away with the introduction by Gilliam and defaults to German audio. For that part there is no pop-up menu so you need to change the audio via remote and start the introduction again. Then the movies starts directly after that and again defaults to German audio. This time audio can be changed both directly with remote or from pop-up menu. A bit of extra work there but after that all is fine

Overall this HD DVD is highly recommended for anybody who likes the film. I was also pleasantly surprised by the large amount of extras since Concorde's earlier releases basically didn't have any.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just watched this one last night and have to say I was impressed. The film was quite surreal and whilst some of the characters seemed like they were from a horror film this is not a horror film (If that makes sense). The soundtrack had quite a few ambients effects going on and even the odd little taste of aggressive LFE. Picture was quite natural, a grade B IMHO.

Another thing I noticed was the general quality of the whole package from Concorde, a good selection of HD English extras, introductiory booklet (In German) that is seperated from the ads and the inside of the covers is printed too to complete the effect.
post #7 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 AM

concorde does a great job with their hd dvds. i really like how they print cool things on the back of the cover art, so you see it when you open the cases
post #8 of 15 Old 11-26-2007, 03:25 AM
Advanced Member

Whats most remarkable for the Concorde discs is the fact that while they include booklets, backprinted inlays and stylish disc print along with good video quality and lossless audio (german DTS HD MA) is the price. They are the cheapest HD-DVD available with 19,99.

So value for money is very good.

I also enjoyd this movie a lot and it's exactly like the Gilliam introduction. Love it or hate it. When you don't like F.a.l.i.L-V. you won't like Tideland also.

HD-EP35 & PS3 & (soon to be) Regionfree Oppo BD-93. 148 : 481
post #9 of 15 Old 12-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

bunkaroo at DVDTalk has confirmed that it is the 2.35:1 theatrical OAR (as opposed to the 2.35:1 cropped from the already cropped 16:9 version that exists somewhere out there)

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showpost.ph...3&postcount=27

I've ordered my copy (along with Reservoir Dogs) from xploited.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2008, 02:43 AM

I just received this movie in the mail and was wondering if anyone is actually getting the English DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD HR track from this title. I am able to get the German version but the English comes across as regular DTS.

A35 bitstreamed to a Onkyo 605
post #11 of 15 Old 04-06-2008, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Sounds about right. DTS HD can be only 1.5Mbps which many amps simply display as standard DTS (Ignoring DTS marketing BS). 3.0Mbps tracks are always detected as DTS HD on an appropriate amp.

In practice it does not make much difference anyway.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Sounds about right. DTS HD can be only 1.5Mbps which many amps simply display as standard DTS (Ignoring DTS marketing BS). 3.0Mbps tracks are always detected as DTS HD on an appropriate amp.

In practice it does not make much difference anyway.

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure my copy was not defective because I am able to extract several DTS-HD HR tracks with select Blu-ray discs using bitstreamed audio to my 605, but I would assume those were encoded at 3.0Mbs.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Bernardus View Post

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure my copy was not defective because I am able to extract several DTS-HD HR tracks with select Blu-ray discs using bitstreamed audio to my 605, but I would assume those were encoded at 3.0Mbs.

Interesting. I also got Tideland in the mail Saturday along with 7 others directly from Amazon.de. Haven't tried Tideland yet, but I did try Brothers Grimm (also from Concorde) and got the same thing - DTS MA on the German, but only DTS displayed for the English audio that's supposed to be DTS-HD (XA2 bistreamed to Onkyo 605). It was late, so I put it aside to check later. Good to know it's probably just DTS-HD at 1.5mbps instead of a defective disc. But, I earlier watched Death Sentence (also from Concorde) and the 605 displays DTS-HD Hi Resolution for the English. The DTS Master Audio in German is noticeably superior to the DTS-HD English. I would have listened to the German MA if there were English subtitles, but, alas, only German.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM

Liked: 11
The disc looks great, and the film is a true visual accomplishmentone of the best in the career of a great visual director.

Unfortunately, the rest of the film has serious problems with tonal consistencies, and other than the lead child actor, most of the performances come up short (Jennifer Tilly in particular).

So if you know you want the movie, this is a quality disc. But I wouldn't recommend a blind buy.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-28-2008, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I was looking forward to this one, being a Gilliam fan - but I found it difficult to watch. I like movies that are touching, and sweet, and morbid -- but I guess not all in one sitting.
Reply HD DVD Software

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page