post #61 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by STVA1 View Post

We exchanged presents yesterday since we will be in separate places, here is what she got me for X-Mas:

Planet Earth on HD-DVD, it's even the BBC version!

I like what she gave me better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tempkin View Post

I like what she gave me better.

Did she give you the standard definition version??
post #63 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does she have a sister?

I took the red pill.
(and got screwed by Toshiba)
post #64 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I got Planet Earth on HD DVD last Father's Day.

Please feel free to visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or follow my NEWS feed on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 PM

my gf bought me an A30 after my xbox got the red ring!
post #66 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

This thred is worthless without pictures!

I miss the rosewood sides on the old Pioneer Elite equipment!

Blu-ray - 576

HD DVD - 81

post #67 of 79 Old 12-23-2007, 09:56 PM

She must watch Oprah!
post #68 of 79 Old 12-24-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I listed a bunch of HD movies on my Christmas list for the family.

We'll see what happens over the next 2 days for me

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #69 of 79 Old 12-24-2007, 08:56 AM

When I first saw it on HDTV I recall Ms. Weaver saying, "And now for the first time ever" more than once when introducing a shot. When I rented the Netflix I don't recall that annoying line being read by Attenborough. Anyone else notice this, a slight change in script?

Just got the SD version for Christmas--now busily getting rid of it for HD-DVD!
post #70 of 79 Old 12-25-2007, 07:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib View Post

Back to the original question.......

I've heard the US version is also more 'political' in nature. I believe I'll be picking up the BBC version based on this thread and what I've heard.

I have not seen the US version, but I own the BBC HD DVD version, and I have thought several times that I am so glad it did not become a political statement. Yes, we know global warming is real, yes we know the US and China are the biggest contributors, and sooner or later we will all have to sacrifice to save what we can.

But for once, it's nice to see the splendor and awe-inspiring beauty that is the planet, presented in a clinical yet entertaining tone, from possibly the best narrator in the world, mostly free from politics.
post #71 of 79 Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM

i've got the SD version and it's quite good. anyone have experience with the SD and HD DVD version? is the HD DVD version THAT much better than the SD or is SD with the up conversion somewhat close?

It's all about the sound!
post #72 of 79 Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar79 View Post

i've got the SD version and it's quite good. anyone have experience with the SD and HD DVD version? is the HD DVD version THAT much better than the SD or is SD with the up conversion somewhat close?

This is one case where I can say unequivocally that you haven't seen Planet Earth until you've seen it in HD. It's one of those situations where maybe you can sit there looking at upconverted SD and say "this is ok... I can live with this... this isn't so bad..."

And then you see it in HD and your jaw drops and the shivers go down your spine and you just go...

"Oh."

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #73 of 79 Old 11-03-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed54 View Post

BBC Version, I hate all these "americanized" things. almost always end up making it worse.

note that 60-70% of the show was financed by Discovery Channel & NHK (Japan)1, and that they were also the main proponents of shooting everything in HD, one of the key reasons the show is popular2. They also co-produced the show, so it's not like they were standing around twiddling their thumbs while the show was being made, at least not all of the time.

1 - http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2006....broadcasting1
2 - http://entertainment.timesonline.co....icle732232.ece

excerpts from highdefdigest's review of the American blu-ray-
"This US edition of the series is different in several ways compared to the previously-released BBC edition. Among the changes made by The Discovery Channel for the US broadcast were a re-sequencing of the series' eleven episodes, a new main music theme, and the replacement of David Attenborough's narration with the decidedly less British actress/conservationist Sigourney Weaver. Most controversially, the Discovery Channel version also excised roughly 6- to 7-minutes of material out of each episode to allow for commercial interruptions. The result is a total runtime of approximately 480 minutes for the domestic version of 'Planet Earth,' versus 530 for the unexpurgated BBC edition.
While none of these revisions substantially change the power of the series (even including the substitution of Weaver for Attenborough -- I found both to be equally effective), the exclusion of nearly an hour's worth of content from this edition for non-creative reasons is a real disappointment, and leaves me no choice but to knock the content score for this edition down a full notch.
The Video: Sizing Up the Picture
As I mentioned in my introduction to this review, the earlier BBC/Warner high-def versions of this title were much ballyhooed for their picture quality. I even went so far as to give them a rare five video rating in my reviews of that edition.
With such high bar already set, I suppose it's inevitable that these Discovery Channel Blu-ray and HD DVD domestic releases would disappoint. Presented in a new 1080i/AVC MPEG-4 encode (compared to the 1080p/VC-1 on the BBC/Warner versions), 'Planet Earth (US Version)' is still a feast for the eyes, but there are a few clear deficiencies to that kept it from reaching the same heights as its previously-released counterpart.
First, the good news. 'Planet Earth' remains the 'Citizen Kane' of shot-on-HD nature documentaries. It was a monumental undertaking, and even in 1080i the material itself is beautiful. Colors are vivid and pure, from brilliant blue skies to lush green foliage to the variety of animal tones and shadings. Hues remain rock solid and stable, with no noise. Detail can be tremendous -- all eleven episodes boast at least one demo-worthy sequence, with my faves being an exploration of the fantastic Lechugilla Caves (filled with breathtaking visuals of crystal formations), to a startling use of time-lapse photography that shows Sequoia trees changing colors through the seasons. But there are many more such moments -- depth and clarity are truly top-tier.
The bad news, however, is twofold. Though evident in the original BBC/Warner releases as well, this US version has a much harder time resolving fine detail in dark scenes, where video noise often runs rampant. Some nighttime sequences look a bit more blurry and flat compared to the rest of the program. Blacks can also appear a bit gray in these scenes, and contrast doesn't have nearly the same pop as the brilliant majority of 'Planet Earth.'
Even more troubling is that Discovery's US edition has more obvious noise and edginess. For example, during the penultimate episode "Earth's Forests," there is a breathtaking scene tracking a redwood all the way from trunk to tree-top. On the BBC/Warner encode, the image is generally solid, with no apparent jaggies. The Discovery version, however, has unfortunate jitter, and some slight pixelization is evident.
Simply put, this 1080i encode is clearly the inferior choice given the source material, and it's certainly enough to knock a full star off the Video rating for the US version. For the complete 'Planet Earth' video experience, the BBC edition remains unmatched."
"This Discovery Channel domestic version of the series ends up being quite different from its next-gen predecessor. On the content side, over 50 minutes worth of content has been snipped, yet a half hour of supplements have been added. And while some may prefer Sigourney Weaver's narration over the BBC's David Attenborough, the video on this edition is clearly inferior to the five star BBC version.
So, which to choose? In my opinion, though the featurettes are a nice bonus, ultimately the raison d'etre of 'Planet Earth' is its stunning visuals, and its content. And with inferior video and a shorn running time,those extras ultimately aren't enough to compensate. To be sure, on its own merits, this is still a fine enough release, but if you're going to invest almost $100 bucks to purchase 'Planet Earth,' the original BBC version still gives the most bang for the buck. "
post #74 of 79 Old 11-03-2009, 06:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
holy thread bump batman...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #75 of 79 Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot View Post

I have not seen the US version, but I own the BBC HD DVD version, and I have thought several times that I am so glad it did not become a political statement. Yes, we know global warming is real, yes we know the US and China are the biggest contributors, and sooner or later we will all have to sacrifice to save what we can.

But for once, it's nice to see the splendor and awe-inspiring beauty that is the planet, presented in a clinical yet entertaining tone, from possibly the best narrator in the world, mostly free from politics.

Apparently you have not been listening to Rush Limbaugh, he thinks global warming is a farce. I peronally think he is insane, but that's just me.
post #76 of 79 Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction26 View Post

Apparently you have not been listening to Rush Limbaugh, he thinks global warming is a farce. I peronally think he is insane, but that's just me.

I could care less what Rush Limbaugh thinks on any issue.

But I do think the notion of global warming is a politically motivated fraud.

But that is just me

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #77 of 79 Old 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by star56 View Post

i could care less what rush limbaugh thinks on any issue.

But i do think the notion of global warming is a politically motivated fraud.

But that is just me

+1!

Panasonic TC-P55ST50 Plasma 55"
Oppo BDP-83 Blu Ray
Toshiba A30 HD DVD
Onkyo TX-SR608 Reciever
Klipsch Ref RC500 Center (RC52)

Klipsch Ref RB600 Fronts (RB61)

Klipsch Ref RS400 Surrounds (RS42)
Klipsch Synergy SW10 Sub Woofer
SA Explorer 8300HD HD DVR
Harmony 650 Remote

Mac Mini/PS3/Wii

post #78 of 79 Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

I could care less what Rush Limbaugh thinks on any issue.

But I do think the notion of global warming is a politically motivated fraud.

But that is just me

Could not care less. If you could care less, you are caring too much.

Just saying.

post #79 of 79 Old 09-07-2013, 03:38 PM

I bought the DVD set narrated by Sigourney Weaver in September 2009, after seeing part of it on TV. Now almost four years to the day, I am finally watching the entire series and enjoying it immensely. I haven't seen the one narrated by David Attenborough so I can't compare. I do enjoy Ms. Weaver's narration; she has an agreeably low-pitched voice that doesn't get in the way, so to speak. There have been times on another series where I found Mr. Attenborough's narration a bit distracting, so decided to go with the US version.

I see Planet Earth is now available for video streaming on Amazon Prime (though not free to Prime members yet); not sure who the narrator is on the Prime series.

Someone mentioned how often Ms. Weaver mentioned 'now for the first time...' or words to that effect. I am noticing that also the more I watch, but still really enjoying it. The photography is truly astonishing. I'd love to be flying over those peaks--climbing them, not so much. biggrin.gif
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page