HD DVD User's PQ & AQ Reference Thread Part 2 - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 345 Old 04-12-2008, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

I think the last titles such as Atonement, Beowulf, Into the Wild, etc. can be added to the ranking, then this thread can be locked, and be used purely as research from now on.

I believe that last US HD-DVD release is Twister scheduled for end of May. Do not close this thread until June and don't forget about imports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 345 Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Where would you place new titles like Beowulf, American Gangster, Into the wild and I am Legend in the PQ reference list?

I hope the new titles will (soon) appear on the list since I think this thread is pure gold for all of us who collects HD DVDs!
post #333 of 345 Old 04-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Hello guys,
yesterday night I watched "The perfect storm" on HD-DVD and, for the first time I was REALLY DISAPOINTED about the PQ but, the SQ was good. That's kind of sad because it is a pretty good movie.

I asked a friend of mine who own the DVD to bring it home and I feed it to my hdmi DVD-R 1080p. (yeah, right!)

As I switched inputs from HD-DVD to DVD format, I could'nt notice the difference in the PQ, but the HD format sound a little better. I'm glad I don't own the DVD, because upgrading to HD-DVD when you own the SD-DVD is a waste of money. (that's my opinion)

My HD-DVD player (Toshiba HD-A30) have no issues (it's set to 1080p/24hz)
my eyes are'nt the problem (when I take tests I can read further than average) so I just spread it out to make sure you don't get this HD-DVD expecting to get an eye orgasm. (especially if you have the SD format)

I've just checked with happy feet and batman begins (OMG!!!) and both my eyes and player are ok!

If anyone has "title to avoid" just bring it on. Now that HD-DVD are cheap and hard to find I guess it's time to buy them before it's too late. I might be a little to picky but I really did'nt expected a HD-DVD to ever had this poor PQ. I watch it on a 52" 1080p/24hz display, and I might see too much details to give it a good review.

This is for those who planned buying HD-DVDs while there still avalaible and, like me, expect nothing than the best from their HD titles. If you think that "The perfect storm" is a tiltle to avoid (PQ wise) post your bad experiences here to make a list of movies with bad PQ.

I'm an HD-DVD fan but I don't buy unless it's paying off. (I mean having a decent upgrade PQ wise compare to the SD movies)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Hope this help,

Gui.
post #334 of 345 Old 04-17-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 169
"The Perfect Storm" is one of a handful of HD-DVD's (and Blu-ray's) that Warner itself acknowledged were made from a 'bobbled' 1080i master that wasn't the most optimal source. The first two "Lethal Weapon" flicks, "The Fugitive," "Enter the Dragon," the white cover/helmet version of "Full Metal Jacket" and another two flicks I forgot were also affected by this '1080i bobbling' mistake.

"Traffic" jumps out immediately to mind. Same mistake as the 'bobbled' Warner masters except the master was 480! You are literally getting the same rez on DVD as you do with the HD-DVD.

"Spartacus" is also a pretty underwhelming high-def title that, unlike good transfers of old films like "Casablanca" or "Forbidden Planet," looks every bit its age.

"The Sting" has a handful of really cool shots (mostly interiors) but most of the film doesn't look better than upconverted DVD.

"An American Werewolf in London" and "Animal House" (both John Landis movies) look rough and slightly improved over their SD versions because the director wanted them to look 'dingy' all along and not crystal-clear. The transfers were deliberately not optimized at John Landis' request!

For more info/opinions about HD-DVD's best and worst-looking titles go here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=942015.
post #335 of 345 Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
what does "bobbled" mean technically?
post #336 of 345 Old 04-17-2008, 12:47 PM

Christmas Vacation is one to avoid IMO. The sound track is stereo and very flat, and the PQ is quite terrible. It doesn't look any better than a good anamorphic DVD transfer, and some scenes look markedly worse than even that.

I think the problem with this movie is the source material. It's 20 years old and who knows how well preserved, definitely in dire need of some restoration and a re-mix. The "Special Edition" DVD, released in 2003, is a really poor transfer as well. It's only a single layer disc in fact, and the only upgrade over the initial DVD release is that it came in a widescreen presentation while the original was a pan-and-scan crossover from a VHS/LD purposed master.

So in summary, the Special Edition DVD has the PQ of a good VHS tape, and the HD-DVD edition looks more like an upconverted DVD. It's sad, really. Here we have a classic holiday movie and I don't think there's one version worth buying. I know Warner can do better.
post #337 of 345 Old 06-06-2008, 07:02 AM

Any reviews of Twister yet?
post #338 of 345 Old 06-30-2008, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got around to watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. If you like the title, you should definitely pick this up now that it can be had for around $6-$10.

I'm really surprised it isnt placed higher. The overall image is sharp and grain is pretty well maintained throughout. Some of the face closeups are better than 90-95 percent of all high def titles combined (including blu-ray). The major problem with this is film scratch artifacts. At one point around 1hr 30 minutes, there is a vertical line-scratch in one scene. Outside of that you can see film noise throughout, but hey - you wanted the movie theater experience right? Outside of that, I think I noticed some slight EE.

I think this movie was filmed in Super-35, so if they do a new transfer when releasing on blu-ray (if done right), this will most likely be one of the best looking titles available. Even so... why wait.. get it now...

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
post #339 of 345 Old 07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there any reason that all 7 of the "committee members" are completely ignoring this thread?

i mean seriously, the polls haven't been updated for months.

So many people have voted, if the ranking is refreshed a lot of changes will be made, and I'm sure for the betterment and accuracy of the list.
post #340 of 345 Old 07-14-2008, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys want to lock it and use it for merely reference, go ahead.

But leaving it open, and the voting links working, means that someone should pay some attention to it.
post #341 of 345 Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you're kicking a dead horse, Mike. This thread is like one of those deserted cities near Chernobyl...it's been deserted and left for future generations to record what it was like back when HD DVD was happy and shiny. This thread is now as useful as a VHS PQ thread.

Pics from my TV here and here.
post #342 of 345 Old 08-12-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_qc View Post

Hello guys,
yesterday night I watched "The perfect storm" on HD-DVD and, for the first time I was REALLY DISAPOINTED about the PQ but, the SQ was good. That's kind of sad because it is a pretty good movie.

I asked a friend of mine who own the DVD to bring it home and I feed it to my hdmi DVD-R 1080p. (yeah, right!)

As I switched inputs from HD-DVD to DVD format, I could'nt notice the difference in the PQ, but the HD format sound a little better. I'm glad I don't own the DVD, because upgrading to HD-DVD when you own the SD-DVD is a waste of money. (that's my opinion)

My HD-DVD player (Toshiba HD-A30) have no issues (it's set to 1080p/24hz)
my eyes are'nt the problem (when I take tests I can read further than average) so I just spread it out to make sure you don't get this HD-DVD expecting to get an eye orgasm. (especially if you have the SD format)

I've just checked with happy feet and batman begins (OMG!!!) and both my eyes and player are ok!

If anyone has "title to avoid" just bring it on. Now that HD-DVD are cheap and hard to find I guess it's time to buy them before it's too late. I might be a little to picky but I really did'nt expected a HD-DVD to ever had this poor PQ. I watch it on a 52" 1080p/24hz display, and I might see too much details to give it a good review.

This is for those who planned buying HD-DVDs while there still avalaible and, like me, expect nothing than the best from their HD titles. If you think that "The perfect storm" is a tiltle to avoid (PQ wise) post your bad experiences here to make a list of movies with bad PQ.

I'm an HD-DVD fan but I don't buy unless it's paying off. (I mean having a decent upgrade PQ wise compare to the SD movies)

Thanks for any suggestions,
Hope this help,

Gui.

Anyone knows whether this has 7.1 audio track? My receiver show SB speakers, with TrueHD bitstream?? Maybe just a wrong flag, but I don't have SB speaker to test it.
post #343 of 345 Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Always bummed me out that Meet the Robinsons never got released on HD DVD...That would've been a keeper

Physical media is on the way out
post #344 of 345 Old 07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 333
old thread to be unstuck
post #345 of 345 Old 07-22-2010, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member