post #181 of 345 Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post

Your giving Transformers a 1 out of 5 for PQ has caused you to lose all credibility on this forum.

+1.

Quit failing to flip the switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 345 Old 12-24-2007, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I'm done with this troll.
post #183 of 345 Old 12-25-2007, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Wow folks - just watched Transformers last night and I was immensely dissatisfied. There was SO much graininess in the PQ it was hard to look at sometimes. The only time it looked HD was when the autobots were shown. Even my lady who is not an AV fan/person commented on how grainy it looked in the scenes. I had to give it a one star. I had such high hopes for this already knowing the lack of lossless but now w/the horrible PQ - it got one star from me. Viewed it on my A-2, 73833 73" mitzy, through my Denon 2808.

Did you see Transformers in the Theater. I for one found the transfer to be a near exact replica of what i saw at the movie Theatre. I also wouldn't rate transformers 5/5 for pq but it is definitly a solid 4. All one can hope for with HDM is an accurate representation of what the director intended the audience to see in the movie theater, and Transformers is a shining example of displaying the director's intent.
post #184 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

Did you see Transformers in the Theater. I for one found the transfer to be a near exact replica of what i saw at the movie Theatre. I also wouldn't rate transformers 5/5 for pq but it is definitly a solid 4. All one can hope for with HDM is an accurate representation of what the director intended the audience to see in the movie theater, and Transformers is a shining example of displaying the director's intent.

We did see it in the theater but that was a while ago. I gave this a one (either a one or two actually) based on what the description was of a one or two star rating. The movie was rented from Netflix and has already been returned - thanks to the child-like reactions in this forum I decided to pursue it no further (I was at least going to put the time marks down where I viewed the 'grain').
The autobots looked fantastic it was mainly 'live' characters in any 'night/dark' scene. We were excited to watch it and were going to look at purchasing it in HDDVD format if it lived up to the 'hype'. I mentioned it to my better half this a.m. and she said "we won't be buying that in HD" since she didn't see much enough difference from the DVD version to buy the HD one.
We watched the first, second, and began the third Harry Potter HDDVD (bought the 'collectors' set) and so far they are worth the money even though we own them in DVD versions.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #185 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We did see it in the theater but that was a while ago. I gave this a one (either a one or two actually) based on what the description was of a one or two star rating. The movie was rented from Netflix and has already been returned - thanks to the child-like reactions in this forum I decided to pursue it no further (I was at least going to put the time marks down where I viewed the 'grain').
The autobots looked fantastic it was mainly 'live' characters in any 'night/dark' scene. We were excited to watch it and were going to look at purchasing it in HDDVD format if it lived up to the 'hype'. I mentioned it to my better half this a.m. and she said "we won't be buying that in HD" since she didn't see much enough difference from the DVD version to buy the HD one.
We watched the first, second, and began the third Harry Potter HDDVD (bought the 'collectors' set) and so far they are worth the money even though we own them in DVD versions.

The only child-like reaction I see here is someone who gives Transformers a 1 for PQ because of a bit of grain in a night-time shot.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #186 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only child-like reaction I see here is someone who gives Transformers a 1 for PQ because of a bit of grain in a night-time shot.

Looking it over again i believe i gave it a 2 based on " Good Few 3D effects, some digital noise/artifacting" - THAT is what I saw and it wasn't "A" night-time shot it was several (aka- MUCH of the movie)

post #187 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #188 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If he adds in stairstepping and noise to his criticisms, then can he give it one star?

Transformers is a solid 3/5 in my book. Not bad, but it could look a heck of a lot better.

It isn't the size of the disk that counts, but how you use it.

Panasonic 46pz85u

4K cinema at 60mbps, coming soon to a kiosk near you.
post #189 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30XS955 User View Post

If he adds in stairstepping and noise to his criticisms, then can he give it one star?

Transformers is a solid 3/5 in my book. Not bad, but it could look a heck of a lot better.

Fine, for you babies. instead of my two, i'll give it a three. Happy?! so much for 'voting' (I guess this thread is borne from Florida).

post #190 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking it over again i believe i gave it a 2 based on " Good Few 3D effects, some digital noise/artifacting" - THAT is what I saw and it wasn't "A" night-time shot it was several (aka- MUCH of the movie)

So you saw few 3D effects, digital noise and artifacting on Transformers? If so there's something seriously wrong with your setup/calibration. If you're going to make a claim such as this you should be able to easily provide time stamps and/or screenshots in additional to the descriptions of what you saw. Why is that numerous professional reviews failed to see all these "issues" you claim to have seen? Here are a few of their PQ ratings and a brief description:

Movie Freak - 9/10: "... viewers will notice the great amount of detail and sharpness ... source material is pristine, no scratches or artifacts anywhere ... As for grain, it’s noticeable in some instances, but not so much in the dark scenes, sometimes it even appears in close-up shots."

DVDTalk - 5/5: "The movie was also much grainier than most people probably noticed, but we get all the grain just as if we were seeing it in the theater... In other words, this transfer maintains all the character and vivaciousness of the theatrical exhibition. I watched several sequences from this disc in a screening room at Paramount, and if someone had told me I was watching an actual print of the movie, I would have believed them. That's how good it looks."

HighDefDigest - 4.5/5: "... [during night shots]
the image really pops here ... detail ranges from excellent to exceptional ... Colors, while again all over the map, are rendered accurately and without noise or loss of stability ... rock solid blacks, an absolutely pristine source and not a hint of compression artifacts ..."

DVDAuthority - 4.5/5: "The image itself is nearly perfect, with no pixilation evident, no artifacting ... Colors are bright and vivid and though some of the movie is a bit dark, the transfer holds up very well. For a new release, 'Transformers' gives the viewer exactly what they were asking for."

DVD Verdict - 10/10: "... so rich in detail and vibrancy I noticed things I had missed—and I'd seen this thing three times in the theatre... Just top-notch picture quality."

- 5/5: "... I was simply amazed at the level of detail ... Yes, there is some film grain in the productions, as you would expect from a Michael Bay film (he loves grain!), but to knock the disc quality because it actually looks like film would be a great disservice... I can find nothing technically wrong with the video on this disc, there are zero compression issues, excellent detail and great depth. It is everything you would want in an HD presentation and it is as close to perfect as you can get ..."

TheManRoom
- 9.5/10: "... nothing short of breathtaking ... Details are as sharp as a tack, black levels are solid and the transfer is completely free of video noise, edge enhancement and compression artifacts. If I have one complaint, it would only be that a few nighttime scenes here and there are a tad on the murky side, but that is such a minor quibble in contrast to just how great this disc looks."

Upcoming Discs - 4.5/5: "... Transformers joins the top tier HD DVD group with this presentation. Right from the start of the movie you will be in for a treat... Paramount has done a spectacular job with this video presentation."

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #191 of 345 Old 12-26-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Hate to add to the fire, but here is another 5/5 review from The Home Theater Spot for Transformers HD-DVD
http://www.***************.com/fusio...hp?tid/139003/

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post

When viewing this particular movie, I was simply amazed at the level of detail in both the close-ups as well as the long and medium shots. Regardless of where the camera is placed, the picture comes through crystal clear. Yes, there is some film grain in the productions, as you would expect from a Michael Bay film (he loves grain!), but to knock the disc quality because it actually looks like film would be a great disservice.

post #192 of 345 Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

I am watching this right now and it frickin amazing!! To my eye it is better than Hot Fuzz. Transformers is a pretty close call. I haven't seen King Kong but if this isn't tops...it's certainly top 3. Plus a good movie so far as well.

"Hey, don't forget smoking lamp...oh I'm sorry, was that expensive piece?"
post #193 of 345 Old 12-27-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

I am watching this right now and it frickin amazing!! To my eye it is better than Hot Fuzz. Transformers is a pretty close call. I haven't seen King Kong but if this isn't tops...it's certainly top 3. Plus a good movie so far as well.

Interesting.
post #194 of 345 Old 12-27-2007, 11:27 PM

Eastern Promises has great depth and detail, nice to see a human film without a shaky handicam for once this year. I'd certainly place this movie around Hot Fuzz. The transfer is completely transparent to the source with not one bit of problem. Of course, this does add to the clarity of the Viggo-Wang scene, which may horrify some. Movie of the year, btw..

HD-DVD: 69
Blu-Ray: 118
post #195 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

yeah..could have passed on the cawk~n~balls. Finished watching now and the picture stayed amazing throughout. Also watched The Kingdom and Potter 5 today, these had great quality on PQ and AQ. Kingdom will probably be a 4.4-4.5 with crisp detail and great coloring, just not as much depth as Eastern Promises. Must be a correlation between Naomi Watts and great HD transfers

post #196 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
To Xylon Hot Fuzz always remains the KING of HD DVD.

Blu-ray : 340
post #197 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

To Xylon Hot Fuzz always remains the KING of HD DVD.

For now . . . . Eastern Promises looks promising?
post #198 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:

I think he is referring to the "noise" in some of the night scenes that Rob Tomlin and I discussed a few pages back, or maybe in the older PQ and AQ thread, not really sure. It is similar to the noise in Miami Vice which has to do with the camera used, or at least I've read something about that. I agree that it is present and it bothers me slightly, but is not so bad as to warrant a 2. There are a lot of great 3D effects, so it doesn't even qualify for the ranking given.

HD DVD - 60
Blu-Ray - Lost Count
post #199 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugga22 View Post

I think he is referring to the "noise" in some of the night scenes that Rob Tomlin and I discussed a few pages back, or maybe in the older PQ and AQ thread, not really sure. It is similar to the noise in Miami Vice which has to do with the camera used, or at least I've read something about that. I agree that it is present and it bothers me slightly, but is not so bad as to warrant a 2. There are a lot of great 3D effects, so it doesn't even qualify for the ranking given.

That's exactly my point. You're spot on with what you viewed too and since you mentioned Miami Vice I noticed the HD version was very 'grainy'. Knowing that that was the intention I can understand better (though I wish for Miami Vice they didn't go that route).

post #200 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I also saw Eastern Promises last night.........very nice looking disc.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #201 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike View Post

And it got a 5 star rating for PQ on HDD: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1224/...npromises.html

Brandon
post #202 of 345 Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post

And it got a 5 star rating for PQ on HDD: http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/1224/...npromises.html

Brandon

Well, this reviews sounds spot on to what I saw. Pure reference quality film, easily one of the best I've seen from either side (and that's a lot...damn u bogo). I rarely get this much HD pop from my set and this had some of the best black levels I have yet seen on my tv. Their cars are all black (of course..russian mobsters) and they are simply beautiful.

post #203 of 345 Old 12-29-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Fine, for you babies. instead of my two, i'll give it a three. Happy?! so much for 'voting' (I guess this thread is borne from Florida).

whats your setup like? maybe people should post a picture ( small) of their setup or at least a list of the equipment and viewing distance like they do on the blu ray tier thread.

Oh and francescop good job on keeping up with the thread
post #204 of 345 Old 12-29-2007, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

Thanks!

P.S. We need more screenshots!
post #205 of 345 Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggster View Post

whats your setup like? maybe people should post a picture ( small) of their setup or at least a list of the equipment and viewing distance like they do on the blu ray tier thread.

I post in that blu-ray tier too since i have both HD & BD (fan of HD). I know it's not my set up - we've been watching the Harry Potter collection. The PQ in that series has been great w/each one better than the previous one (we're on GoF right now so I"m looking forward to OotP).

post #206 of 345 Old 12-31-2007, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Weekly update:

- rankings updated with the latest poll results

post #207 of 345 Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Is Pan's Labyrinth still not listed?

I cannot believe somebody hasnt put this up yet. I did a search for Pan and couldnt find any ratings. It has been discussed on this forum enough times!
post #208 of 345 Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #209 of 345 Old 01-02-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member