New "Community Screening" function introduced in Harry Potter HD-DVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
http://www.harrypotterfanzone.com/fu...ws.php?id=2256

This just seems like an awesome feature to have. Well done Warner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 08:53 AM

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Function/1188

Quote:

Mon Nov 26, 2007 at 09:00 AM ET

Promising to bring high-def interconnectivity to a new level, Warner will introduce a first-ever group screening function with its upcoming HD DVD release of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.'

Dubbed "Live Community Screening," the new feature will allow multiple owners of the 'Order of the Phoenix' HD DVD to simultaneously watch the film via their own individual web-connected players. Playback is controlled by a single "host" user, who initiates the invitation-only viewing, and can control the film by pausing and playing the feature on everyone else's machines. Even more cutting edge, Warner says participants will also be able to text between their remote devices, creating a virtual "live chat" environment while they watch.

Introducing this new feature with little fanfare (it wasn't even mentioned in the disc's press announcement), Warner revealed the complete details of 'Harry Potter's exclusive HD DVD content via this just-launched 'Harry Potter' product page at the newly redesigned thelookandsoundofperfect.com, the official consumer website of the HD DVD Promotions Group.

Set for release on December 11, other content exclusive to the HD DVD of 'Order of the Phoenix' includes a "Behind the Screen: Focus Points" picture-in-picture video commentary, additional downloadable material including screensavers and ringtones, plus a custom bookmarking function.

Although Warner is also debuting a Blu-ray version of 'Order of the Phoenix' day-and-date with the HD DVD, that disc will not include any web-enabled content.

post #3 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Well that's just kind of an odd feature.....I guess the texting thing is kind of cool, but I don't think I would like to watch the movie on someone else's schedule, especially if I own my own copy. Now if one person could stream the movie to other HD-DVD owners who didn't have the movie, THAT would be a feature!
post #4 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I could see this being of interest to younger folks -- "virutally" watching a film together and chatting about it.

But I suspect the intial application of this will be pretty clunky. And as someone who's a lot closer to 40 than I am to 20, I don't see myself using this at all.

(If they did it with a Criterion movie and a class of film students, *that* may get me interested... but I don't think I need to watch the movie while people are posting about how "Hagrid rox" )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

This could be big with the Potter kids.

These kids really love these books and movies. And they already know more about text messaging than I ever will. What could be cooler than linking up with your pal across town separated by miles and winter school break.
post #6 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Big releases? Big fan base of those releases?

seems like a cool thing to me. I'd probably try it a some point.
post #7 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 AM

If it could utilize the chatpad with the xbox 360 add on drive that could be nice.
post #8 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

These kids really love these books and movies. And they already know more about text messaging than I ever will. What could be cooler than linking up with your pal across town separated by miles and winter school break.

Exactly! Excellent feature. The young folks can teach us how to use it!
post #9 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Social networking is such a big thing now. My bet is that a lot of lids will want to take advantage of this. How long can a kid go without texting someone these days? 8 minutes tops?
post #10 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What would be awesome is to have the director or a cast member host the session and answer participants questions. Now that would be an event but I wonder how many participants can there be and obviously it would have to require a pre-registration of some sort.

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't see an added value in this. So a host can control your movie watching and you can talk to people while watching a movie?
I don't see many people using this feature. Anyway, with that said, i'll still be buying the boxset but on which format??
post #12 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't understand what makes this so awesome. It's trivially easy to text other people while watching a movie, and all but impossible to do it with a remote. The only thing really "new" about this is the ability to pause the movie at other people's houses. Unique, I'll give it that. Just doesn't seem particularly useful.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #13 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
While I agree it's a very specialized feature, I for one have a use for it. My girlfriend and I live about 8 hours away from each other and we often watch movies and TV shows "together" over voice chat. In order to start things at the same time it's usually something like:

"Ok, pause as soon as the logo is completely disappears. Got it? Ok, start after 3. 1....2...3....go!.

Then of course if someone needs to pause the movie for a second to get up you have to sync your pause and then start again.

Although it's doable this feature means we can watch HP together and only one of us has to control when the movie starts and stops.

I think a class type feature (as someone else mentioned) would be awesome as well. Imagine Francis Ford Coppola doing an online lecture on The Godfather and having sections from the movie play directly on your HD DVD player. The market is probably too small for something like this to be feasible now but maybe in a couple of years if HD DVD becomes mainstream? Would you pay for a lecture like this?

It's a small feature now but it has possibilities.
post #14 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been doing that for years, its called AIM.
post #15 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:18 AM

Yea, like AIM, only on a web connected HD DVD player while watching a movie. AIM has been doing that for years...
post #16 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I certainly hope no hackers turn their attention to this function.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @
post #17 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

So basically I'll be able to watch a movie with my parents who are 60 miles away....

Pretty cool actually.

Too bad they have zero interest in Harry Potter.

59 Blu-rays and counting...
post #18 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 AM

it the same function as the movie 300 on HD DVD...
post #19 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

I certainly hope no hackers turn their attention to this function.

Anyone want to bet when the first HD-DVD set top virus hits the streets, and/or when the first set top is bricked via this attack vector?

post #20 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Then warner needs to name it and make it a standered feature for all HD DVD's.

ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #21 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

How do you type? Do you use the xbobx 360 pad, into the usb slots? Keyboard?

ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #22 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd nOOb View Post

Then warner needs to name it and make it a standered feature for all HD DVD's.

Its funny, because just recently I read an article re: Disney looking forward to a similar idea in 2008....

THEN, maybe all the naysayers will think this feature is cool.
post #23 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

That's actually a very cool little feature. No shock that the BD can't do anything like this at this point.
post #24 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM

This just screams for USB keyboard support. They may as well make use of those ports. Does the Venturer player have USB ports?
post #25 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So let me get this straight, I can play this HD DVD on my player, and my buddy down the street can watch it with me without the disk?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #26 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolisdead View Post

So let me get this straight, I can play this HD DVD on my player, and my buddy down the street can watch it with me without the disk?

Noo...it only allows a person to "host" a synched up, group-watching of the movie together while txt chatting.

The infrastructure of the broadband lines in the U.S. are sooo not ready to do this with only one disc...
post #27 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

no, you BOTH have to have the disc. This only synchs the starting and pausing of the movie, and somehow integrates text chat support.
post #28 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Hmm Chatting over a movie. I can hear a million jokes about this in the hood..

I can see why there isn't a name for it yet.

Djoel..

post #29 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

I can't wait myself, this feature sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan View Post

While I agree it's a very specialized feature, I for one have a use for it. My girlfriend and I live about 8 hours away from each other and we often watch movies and TV shows "together" over voice chat. In order to start things at the same time it's usually something like:

"Ok, pause as soon as the logo is completely disappears. Got it? Ok, start after 3. 1....2...3....go!.

Then of course if someone needs to pause the movie for a second to get up you have to sync your pause and then start again.

Although it's doable this feature means we can watch HP together and only one of us has to control when the movie starts and stops.

I think a class type feature (as someone else mentioned) would be awesome as well. Imagine Francis Ford Coppola doing an online lecture on The Godfather and having sections from the movie play directly on your HD DVD player. The market is probably too small for something like this to be feasible now but maybe in a couple of years if HD DVD becomes mainstream? Would you pay for a lecture like this?

It's a small feature now but it has possibilities.

I thought I was the only person to do that. I have a friend and we watch them together too, so we do the samething, even the counting. That's why I can't wait. We should all do a AVS Virtual Screening
post #30 of 92 Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetian View Post

... We should all do a AVS Virtual Screening

That would be Cool!
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List