American Gangster - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 289 Old 03-16-2008, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same problem as several others on my A35. Totally locked up the unit and had to reboot and finish the movie on the SD side. D**m combo discs. Going to exchange the disc at BB and see if that helps. This is the first problem I have had with the A35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 289 Old 03-16-2008, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My better half bought me the UK disc from Asda today. It was actually cheaper than the ridiculously priced UK DVD Steelbook. I've only scanned the disc like I do with all new purchases, but can anyone tell me if it's supposed to look like someone whacked the brightness up? The blacks don't look right at all.
post #273 of 289 Old 03-17-2008, 07:03 AM

Bought AG for $17 at Wal-Mart. Loved the film, but am happy I didn't pay more for it because there was nothing special at all about the HD version. My copy locked up halfway through the HD side, so I finished watching it in SD.
So weird that the extended version is only in SD on this combo disk.
Well, don't pay anything extra to own this in HD, because there are no compelling features or effects that play back any better than the SD version.
post #274 of 289 Old 03-17-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

My better half bought me the UK disc from Asda today. It was actually cheaper than the ridiculously priced UK DVD Steelbook. I've only scanned the disc like I do with all new purchases, but can anyone tell me if it's supposed to look like someone whacked the brightness up? The blacks don't look right at all.

I see the same on the US disc. Brightness is up, colors are washed out and blacks don't look right. When I first put the disc in, I thought that my TV broke.
Not to mention that anytime I put the disc in, I have to unplug ethernet, cause otherwise my XA2 gets stuck on web-enabled update.

It is either bad mastering, or horrible "artisitic" decision on the part of the director.
post #275 of 289 Old 03-17-2008, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I doubt that there is anything wrong with this disc, yes the contrast is low, and colors a bit muted, but without a direct comparison to the film itself,[side by side] it is anybody's guess if it's correct or not.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #276 of 289 Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryld View Post

Same problem as several others on my A35. Totally locked up the unit and had to reboot and finish the movie on the SD side. D**m combo discs. Going to exchange the disc at BB and see if that helps. This is the first problem I have had with the A35.

At what time point or chapter does this occur? I'd like to see if my A35 can handle it, but don't really want to play the whole movie right now.
post #277 of 289 Old 03-18-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

At what time point or chapter does this occur? I'd like to see if my A35 can handle it, but don't really want to play the whole movie right now.

IIRC it was around 1 hour 9/10 minutes in. Could have been a little longer.
post #278 of 289 Old 03-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey all -- I broke open this disc and started watching last night. I am getting some "ghosting" (almost looks like a faint dark blurring) around moving objects (like faces as people are walking). It's kind of annoying.

I have not had any similar issues to this with other HD DVDs on the same player (XA2) and all my settings have stayed the same.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #279 of 289 Old 03-18-2008, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryld View Post

IIRC it was around 1 hour 9/10 minutes in. Could have been a little longer.

Thanks.

Played mine last night. Only had a problem sometime past the 2 hour mark, but it was just a speck of something on the disk. During the song "Amazing Grace" as he was exiting the church. Wiped it off with my t-shirt and then it played fine in both the XA1 and A35. I had no problem with the picture quality either.

This was a used disk I picked up at FYE for under $15 with the tax.
post #280 of 289 Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Got the US combo disc, which worked flawlessly on my XE1. I had more trouble with the standard DVD side (my HD DVD players don't like DVD menus much).

As for the look of the movie, it sucks as far as shiny, demo-quality HD is concerned. Blacks are washed out, the muted colour scheme skews towards browns and tans, and fine detail is lacking.

BUT it actually looks like a relic of the period it's depicting (it reminds me of The Godfather and French Connection) and I've no doubt that this was the express intent, right down to the 1.85 aspect ratio and the use of as little CG as possible. And for me, the look of the flick worked PERFECTLY as an artistic device.

That's not to say that crisp, detailed 2.35 visuals in a period piece won't evoke the same sort of feelings (see the wonderful Zodiac) but sometimes the low-fi approach works just as well.
post #281 of 289 Old 03-22-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

...As for the look of the movie, it sucks as far as shiny, demo-quality HD is concerned. Blacks are washed out, the muted colour scheme skews towards browns and tans, and fine detail is lacking. BUT it actually looks like a relic of the period it's depicting (it reminds me of The Godfather and French Connection) and I've no doubt that this was the express intent, right down to the 1.85 aspect ratio and the use of as little CG as possible. And for me, the look of the flick worked PERFECTLY as an artistic device.

We watched this last night and I completely agree w/Geoff's comments. At first I fretted that the film looked "flat" and a little washed-out, but then it almost seemed as though the images got richer as the film progressed. In any case, there were a good number of scenes that "popped" and reassured me that I was getting what Scott put on celluloid.

The (rental) disc I watched had the "408" error on launch, but went away w/an eject & restart and never returned at any time.
post #282 of 289 Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM

I traded the AG HD-DVD at Coconuts/FYE and I think the clerk ripped me off.

There was a heavy sticker over the barcode on the plastic case, so without scanning it he glanced at his register/computer and told me it was a $4 trade.

I was in a hurry so I took the trade, but my guess is that was the SD trade price not the HD one.

Maybe he bought it for himself later for almost nothing or just felt like being a dick.

I've talked to this guy about HD DVD before so I know he knows the difference, but $4 for a new movie on a combo seems beyond belief to me...
post #283 of 289 Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@N View Post

There was a heavy sticker over the barcode on the plastic case, so without scanning it he glanced at his register/computer and told me it was a $4 trade.

I was in a hurry so I took the trade, but my guess is that was the SD trade price not the HD one.

Maybe he bought it for himself later for almost nothing or just felt like being a dick.

I've talked to this guy about HD DVD before so I know he knows the difference, but $4 for a new movie on a combo seems beyond belief to me...

Why even bother trading it in at that point?
post #284 of 289 Old 03-23-2008, 12:21 PM

Bought AG along with ALOT of other stuff during the HV sell-off, so I didn't research this purchase much.

After watching the longer cut on the DVD side of the combo, I couldn't really see watching the shorter version in the future especially when the HD side wasn't much of a PQ improvment.

The lack of extras also hurt bigtime, so I ended up getting the 2-disc DVD version.

At that point, I just wanted to get rid of the combo...
post #285 of 289 Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@N View Post

That was the correct trade in value.

Here are the current trade in values, for store credit:

American Gangster (2008) $4.00
American Gangster [Widescreen] [2 Discs] (2008) $6.00
American Gangster: The Complete First Season [2 Discs] (2007) $5.00
American Gangster [HD-DVD] (2008) $4.00
post #286 of 289 Old 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Thanks Narc, I guess I own that guy a silent apology.

Funny the DVD trades higher than HD...althought in this case it really should.

U screwed the pooch on this one.
post #287 of 289 Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 AM

I finally watched this last night, thought it was a good movie with some great moments.

And the picture quality seemed fine to me. Obviously they intended it to have the look it does, washed out in some scenes, but others have nice deep blacks. Solid buy.
post #288 of 289 Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I enjoyed it, and had no problems on my A1. PQ was about right for an 1970 vibe I guess, somewhat drab. Audio was great, enjoyed the soundtrack quite a bit. Overall definitely thumbs up for me.
post #289 of 289 Old 04-05-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcopolo View Post

I experienced the same lock up as others mentioned here. This happened somewhere between chapter 11 or 12. Is this a problem with the player(A35) or a known issue that Columbia is aware of ?
Can't exchange at my Bestbuy as they cleared all HD titles already.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page