Harry Potter and Xbox HD DVD add-on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted this in the Xbox forum but no one could help.

I am having problems playing the new Harry Potter HD DVD in my Xbox 360 HD add-on player. I have returned the DVD twice but am still getting a "Unplayable" error "Cannot read disk" when it tries to load. If I flip the disk to the DVD side, it plays fine in SD. I also bought Bourne and another HD DVD and they all play fine. My Xbox is connected to Live so I should have all updates. Any suggestion, or am I in the wrong thread?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjso395 View Post

I am having problems playing the new Harry Potter HD DVD in my Xbox 360 HD add-on player. I have returned the DVD twice but am still getting a "Unplayable" error "Cannot read disk" when it tries to load. If I flip the disk to the DVD side, it plays fine in SD. I also bought Bourne and another HD DVD and they all play fine. My Xbox is connected to Live so I should have all updates. Any suggestion, or am I in the wrong thread?? Thanks

Now I'm glad I didn't buy OOTP on HD-DVD. I don't think I'll ever buy a combo again. Out of the dozen or so titles I've tried only one has worked. My advice to you is to just return the disc and wait until they release it on a regular HD-DVD disc.
post #3 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the add-on and had no problems. One thing you might want to try is to go in and delete anything you have saved in the memory. Don't think it will help but what do you have to lose.
post #4 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brjahu View Post

I have the add-on and had no problems. One thing you might want to try is to go in and delete anything you have saved in the memory. Don't think it will help but what do you have to lose.

thanks but i tried this already. Thats why I think this add-on is garbage. I have had to do this several times to get transformers to play. How many other HD players out there do you have this problem with.
post #5 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

thanks but i tried this already. Thats why I think this add-on is garbage. I have had to do this several times to get transformers to play. How many other HD players out there do you have this problem with.

standalones has way more problems playing combos. ONly reason you have to delete the memory is the stupid internet cookie downloading is faulty, not the player but the feature is basically crap.
post #6 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

I havent gotten this movie yet...netflix says very long wait so ill probably get it by next march. Anyways, this same thing happened to me with tokyo drift. I had to take it back to the store and get th newest version of the disc. As far as ur situation goes idk because harrys only been out for a day. Just keep exchanging I guess. Maybe ur add on is faulty. Mine never gave me any problems on discs that arent notorious for giving everyone problems. Chuck and larry wouldnt play though.
post #7 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thats what I'm trying to figure out. Should I try to return the Add-on? Its less than 30 days old. It plays everything else fine, I have about 5 HD titles. Only problem is HP. Or should I keep returning the DVD and hope Best Buy doesnt get pissed
post #8 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

I honestly dont think exchanging the add on for a new one would make a difference. Do you use any rental services or have a hollywood video around u? If u do just go there and rent one and see if theres works.
post #9 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:

I'm having the exact same problem. Bought the new Harry Potter and Bourne HDs today. Bourne plays fine Harry HD doesn't. Returned it for another one still no good. I guess it's not the machine but the disc. Sorry for your problem but I was worry my brand new expensive 360 Elite and HD player setup was defective. Hope we can figure this out.
post #10 of 41 Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 PM

I had problems with the HD DVD combo too. Everything worked fine until about 1:05:00 into the movie it froze (same symptom as a dirty disc). This disc was fresh out of the box into the HD add on for the XBOX 360. I finally got to a point where it was not frozen skipping the chapter and rewinding right after the part where it would go no longer.

Seemed to work fine until 6 minutes later it froze again. This time I took the DVD completely out and inspected it for any smudges or scratches. There weren't any so I put the DVD back in (HD side) and then I selected the chapter where I left off. An hour to go and no more problems at all. Sorry to hear your having trouble even to get the player to read the disc.
post #11 of 41 Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 AM

I have no issues playing any hd dvd combo on my 360 add on.... watching HP OoTP on HD right now but it's not a combo...
post #12 of 41 Old 12-13-2007, 04:16 PM

I had the same issue. I bought 3 before I figured out it was the disc. I brought it to a different store and played it on a different hd dvd player and it worked fine there.
post #13 of 41 Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any HP OoTP on HD DVD out there? All i found so far were the combo disk
post #14 of 41 Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

box set is the only way to get non-combo ootp

but i had the following issues (from the box set discs)

1. GoF got unplayable disc... cleaned the (brand new just out of the package) disc and it worked just fine
2. OotP worked fine until i tried to show someone else what IME does (after the movie was over) and it froze, rebooted xbox and got unplayable disc... cleaned disc and it worked fine

it's confusing and mildly annoying but not show stopping at my end
post #15 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Nox
AVS Special Member

I have the UK version. Playing it on a 360, I've had two lock-ups so far using IME.

I saw the movie a few times and wanted to dive into the IME, so I haven't watched the movie without using the extra features.

I'm not sure if it would lock up with just the movie running, but I thought commenting that I've had problems with this single sided version was relevant to this thread. I posted my IME problems here if anyone's interested.

-David
post #16 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 AM

I boughtt he Boxed Set, so my Harry Potter OotP is a non-combo disc. It does play fine on my XBOX 360 HD-DVD Addon, but I have the drive plugged into an HTPC.. not an XBOX 360.

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #17 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 AM
SGD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

Now I'm glad I didn't buy OOTP on HD-DVD. I don't think I'll ever buy a combo again. Out of the dozen or so titles I've tried only one has worked. My advice to you is to just return the disc and wait until they release it on a regular HD-DVD disc.

They aren't combos.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-14-2007, 10:01 AM

If anyone thinks they have an issue with a combo disc, we'd like to see it, see this thread for details.

HD DVD Veteran
post #19 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 AM

I have the box set, and this movie locked up the first time I tried the IME. I turned IME on at the end of the movie (during the credits) and tried pressing the left arrow. It immediately locked up and no keys worked. I had to power on/off the xbox to fix it. Then was able to use the IME from the beginning fine.
post #20 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 01:59 PM

I had no problems playing the combo disc in my 360 add-on.
Maybe you need a firmware update, or you just have a defective disc that needs to be exchanged. Is you Xbox connected to the internet??
post #21 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I had no problems at all with this disc using my 360 add-on. In fact, I have never had any playback problems, glitches, or lock-ups with any of my HD discs using the drive. Many of these titles were combo discs.

Sometimes I wonder about these combo issues... Friend of mine uses an A-3 and has never had any problems with combos either.
post #22 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I did not have trouble playing the movie..but did have issues with the extras causing my xbox to stutter/become unresponsive...maybe even lock up..

HD DVD:38
BR: 51+ 23 from the WB Red2Blu promo
post #23 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

I had no problems at all with this disc using my 360 add-on. In fact, I have never had any playback problems, glitches, or lock-ups with any of my HD discs using the drive. Many of these titles were combo discs.

Sometimes I wonder about these combo issues... Friend of mine uses an A-3 and has never had any problems with combos either.

same, except we all have 360 addons
post #24 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 04:56 PM

No problems here. I watched it last night. I don't know if it makes a difference but I have an elite.

Rock Chalk
post #25 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 PM

As someone who feels like they have experience with this problem (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=818379), I'd like to offer my advice:

I have the Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive, bought one last November when it first came out, and had SEVERAL problems with combo disks. I had problems with 'The Departed', 'Happy Feet', 'The Matrix' (all 3 in the set)... For 'The Departed' in particular, I had returned and exchanged the disc twice (3 different discs) and always got the same result. I tried boiling the disc, rolling a pen on the side to smooth the side together, nothing worked.

Well it ended up being the drive. After fighting and fighting with M$ customer service (because mine was out of warranty...90 day warranty on a $200 'accessory' is madness I say), I finally got them to waive the $60 replacement fee for out-of-warranty repairs and got a new one.

The new drive they shipped me worked magically and I haven't had a problem since.

So - in MY OWN experience, it was the drive that was faulty the whole time. After I got a new one, things seemed fine. I'm not sure if there are multiple manufacturers that made the drives and perhaps some batches of the drives are bad while others are good, but I think the ROOT cause is the drive that for some reason can't handle the Warner combo discs. It might be a combination of certain add-on drives PLUS certain Warner combo discs, but a replacement drive seemed to do the trick for me.

Good luck, hope you get your problem solved.
post #26 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

This is another reason why I just can't recommend the add-on to anyone. If someone wants to get into HD DVD, the only choice is a stand-alone.
post #27 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 08:24 PM

My discs says unreadable
post #28 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 08:58 PM

Watched it last night on my 360 ad on.....no clue what could be wrong.
post #29 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 09:09 PM

Just watched mine earlier. At first it says unreadable then I just hit eject and reload. After that it played flawlessly even with reboot.
post #30 of 41 Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunz4sale View Post

My discs says unreadable

Mine did too, but it wasn't the discs, it was the drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflux View Post

This is another reason why I just can't recommend the add-on to anyone. If someone wants to get into HD DVD, the only choice is a stand-alone.

Yeah, I'd have to agree now that the price discrepancy between the add-on and a stand-alone are pretty small. It was a different story a year ago
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page