Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks HD-DVD Titles - Page 3 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: Will you continue to buy HD-DVD's from Universal, Paramount/Dreamworks, Weinstein?
Yes I will purchase the HD-DVD version of any wanted titles the HD-DVD studios release. 0 0%
No I will just wait it out until they go Blu. 0 0%
No I am fed up and will just buy the SD-DVD version. 0 0%
I am sick of the Format War and the worst it has brought out in corporations and the public. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will continue buying HDDVD's and SDs that interest me. I am not so sure about buying anything from WB though. I have no problem with them taking the cash, just an issue with thier timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I will cxontinue to buy titles that I want irrespective of the format. I will however buy BD unless I can't get a title on BD that I want ( Paramount,Universal and Dreamworks for now).

I'm in this for the movies period.

Art

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #63 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 09:57 AM

Is Paramount 100% contractually obligated to HD DVD for the near future? I remember when they announced exclusivity, and there were rumours about an 18-month time frame and what not. But I remember everyone seemed to debate that.

Being purple I'd like to begin curbing more of my purchases towards Blu-ray, so I'm just concerned if I buy Zodiac now, Paramount will announce neutrality next week or something.
post #64 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 AM

I have lots of HD DVDs and will continue to buy must have titles if avaliable in HD DVD. Thing is, I have about 25 discs that I haven't even opened yet. Why? There is so much HD now on D* that I am having trouble finding time to watch my discs. Just watched POTC AWE PPV. I'm glad I didn't buy the disc, fun, but not worth another watch.

No doubt I will buy a 1.1 bitstream BD some day when LOTRs comes out. I know D* doesn't look as good as HD discs but is good enough except for the few MUST HAVES.

My 2 cents.
post #65 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mods is there anyway to extend this poll till next weekend?
post #66 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

Except that there may now be no reason to make dual format players ...

Why? There are millions of HDDVD's copies circulating, I have no plans of selling my collection.
Samsung, and LG will continue making them. They just need to be less buggy, and with the right features....I am patient

DJoel
post #67 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

We are all forgetting that Paramount and Universal at any time can institute the nuclear option and put out only one disc from now on by way of the TL hybrid disc and sell it for the same price as a standard DVD. If this happens it would be game over for Blu-Ray because legally Blu-Ray can not make a Hybrid Disc and with just one crappy movie release; HD-DVD would thrash Blu-Ray.

May HD be with you always

DarthJedi

XBOX LIVE: ForceFields
post #68 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJedi View Post

We are all forgetting that Paramount and Universal at any time can institute the nuclear option and put out only one disc from now on by way of the TL hybrid disc and sell it for the same price as a standard DVD. If this happens it would be game over for Blu-Ray because legally Blu-Ray can not make a Hybrid Disc and with just one crappy movie release; HD-DVD would thrash Blu-Ray.

That would be nice, but you think it will ever happen? At this point, I don't even think Toshiba cares enough about HD DVD to take a step that large. Too bad.

Unfortunetly, people need to get it out of their heads that these companies are in it for consumers. All they want is $$$.
post #69 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

At this point, I don't even think Toshiba cares enough about HD DVD to take a step that large. Too bad.

First, 2 days ago, you would have said the opposite.
Second, it has only been 2 days and other than a "disappointed" release from Toshiba, how can you even speculate that Toshiba doesn't care about their product.

They won't do anything that could possibly cost the shareholders money...I can state that for sure.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #70 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:

We could only hope. Five months is plenty of time to sway WB back. If one of the studios did this to lead the way, the other would follow.
post #71 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I agree with Blacklac, I don't think Tosh cares ..they're too busy sucking their tumbs, and in the fetal postion. It would be a great way to get out of SD eventully!

Djoel
post #72 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

First, 2 days ago, you would have said the opposite.
Second, it has only been 2 days and other than a "disappointed" release from Toshiba, how can you even speculate that Toshiba doesn't care about their product.

They won't do anything that could possibly cost the shareholders money...I can state that for sure.

Umm, yes I would have.

The extreme lack of advertising and always getting 1-up'd by BR gave me that impression.

I truly hope something amazing happens for HD, but I'm not counting on it. That said, I am, and will continue to support HD. Bought 3 new movies today.
post #73 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm still buying HD DVD's. I just saw "Into the Wild" last night at a cheap theater and will be getting this for sure. Incredible film, should look amazing on HD DVD.
post #74 of 87 Old 01-06-2008, 09:00 PM

Still buying HD DVDs but there isn't really anything left that I want. Only 9 titles have interested me, so if there isn't anything announced soon than I won't be buying anymore unless I get can some stuff for dirt cheap.

I do plan on getting a Blu-ray player soon (decided this before the Warner Bros announcement) but there really isn't that much on that format either. I counted 17 titles that I wanted to buy. Not saying there isn't more but I already own them on DVD or HD DVD.

So the real winner in this is still DVD, at least to me. They say content is king, and nothing can beat DVD right now with content or pricing.

Blu-ray: 35
DVD: 493
post #75 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

I agree with Blacklac, I don't think Tosh cares ..they're too busy sucking their tumbs, and in the fetal postion. It would be a great way to get out of SD eventully!

Djoel

Hi

I hope you mean Toshiba North America!

Do NOT let the magic smoke out because it is impossible to put the magic smoke back in!!!!
post #76 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Discontinuing movie buying entirely for now save for the occasional must-own on HD DVD. Going to save up for a house instead, and maybe a TivoHD. The $15/month for Tivo is a shitload cheaper than what I spent on HD DVDs and DVDs.

Warner Bros misled people by their "we'll support both formats for the best interest of the consumer!" crap, no need to support them on Blu-Ray or for DVD for that matter.

And I'm not throwing HD DVD anymore money until they prove they can get their **** together, which looks ever-more doubtful at this moment. Of all the companies, I feel Microsoft should have invested a lot more than they did.

Basically my exact thoughts on the matter. Just replace Tivo with Upping my Netflix Account from 1 out to 2 out.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
post #77 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJedi View Post

It would generate insane sales numbers but I dont think that would get any br studios to shift their position. If the discs are selling at current SD DVD prices where is the desired increased profit from HDM sales going to come from?
post #78 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 AM

One negative UNIVERSAL has in Latinamerica, is that HD DVDs tittles dont include spanish subtittles.
If they change this policy they will find more adepts worldwide.
post #79 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 02:11 PM

Still buying HD-DVDs. Im semi purple, but i will only rent BR.
post #80 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Though I'm in after the closing bell, I'll gladly buy HD DVDs from these studios. Keep 'em coming, please!

still one of my favorite bumper stickers of all time...

FREE TIBET! *
* with purchase of equal or lesser Tibet
post #81 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll buy an HD DVD here and there if Uni and Paramount they stay HD DVD only, my guess is they will not. I'm sorry to say that without WB HD DVD is going to start losing shelf-space at B&Ms and BD players are going to creep into affordable price-point arena then it's really gonna be game over. If HD DVD is just going to eek out a title I want every four weeks or less, frankly, I'd rather they threw in the towel and let the news that there is no longer a war to speak of have a positive effect on the HDM market.

I think it would be neat if Toshiba made some affordable DF players so we can still use our HD DVDs, but I just can't see this rising to it's feet again.

Don't hate me folks, I spent three days in kicked-in-the-balls shock like everyone else, and the rumors of WB and FOX almost going HD DVD only compounded it.
post #82 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Why can't there be 2 formats when we have
  • 3 Game Consoles (XBOX vs WII vs PS3)
  • 4 type of TV technologies (LCD vs PLASMA vs OLED vs DLP)
  • Boeing vs Airbus
  • MPEG-2 vs MPEG-4 AVC vs VC-1
  • 100 types of Cars to DRIVE

Everything comes down to CONSUMER PREFERENCE.

Blu-ray : 340
post #83 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

• Boeing vs Airbus

Because the disk royalties split aren't enough for SONY and Toshiba to recoup their massive investments.
post #84 of 87 Old 01-07-2008, 10:04 PM

at first I was a little upset.
But then I realized that Ironman is a Paramount title.

So I think i will ride out HD (hopefully disk prices drop further) until an affordable/quality dual format player comes along.

Anyone have a guess on how long it will take superHD to come to market?
post #85 of 87 Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Like many of you I bought HD DVD titles I didn't even like to support the format. I also bought combo discs of titles I already had SD versions of to support the format. All the while we had to listen to the loudmouths in the Blu-Ray camp tout the supposed superiority of Blu-Ray when there wasn't any. Bribes and corporate underhandedness bought the Blu-Ray adoption by movie companies that were unwilling to provide consistent top quality at a reasonable cost in either format for the benefit of the consumer. Thus the relatively poor collective sales of either format compared to SD DVD. Far be it from any of them in the Blu-Ray camp to lower the prices or consider competition healthy and consumer friendly. Payoffs are their preferred method of doing business just because they with the help of mainstream news media have created an "acceptability" in our society of such tactics.

I am tired of being victimized by corporate interests that don't reflect the interests of the consumer. There is no way I will now run out and buy a Blu-Ray player to capitulate to these monopolistic anti-consumer tactics. Upconverted SD DVD and the remaining HD DVD titles produced are for me. Sony can kiss off.

John
post #86 of 87 Old 01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftech View Post

Like many of you I bought HD DVD titles I didn't even like to support the format. I also bought combo discs of titles I already had SD versions of to support the format. All the while we had to listen to the loudmouths in the Blu-Ray camp tout the supposed superiority of Blu-Ray when there wasn't any. Bribes and corporate underhandedness bought the Blu-Ray adoption by movie companies that were unwilling to provide consistent top quality at a reasonable cost in either format for the benefit of the consumer. Thus the relatively poor collective sales of either format compared to SD DVD. Far be it from any of them in the Blu-Ray camp to lower the prices or consider competition healthy and consumer friendly.

I am tired of being victimized by corporate interests that don't reflect the interests of the consumer. There is no way I will now run out and buy a Blu-Ray player to capitulate to these monopolistic anti-consumer tactics. Upconverted SD DVD and the remaining HD DVD titles produced are for me. Sony can kiss off.

John

+1
well stated

hope importing becomes a viable option for years to come (so long as the prices are reasonable)

Mits-WS55413;Denon-3803;ToshibaXA1 HD-DVD;Klipsch- RF35;Samsung-TS160;SVS PB12plus/2
XBL GT - se7entee7
post #87 of 87 Old 01-08-2008, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

• Boeing vs Airbus

Don't forget about Coke and Pepsi.
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page