What if the remaining HD-DVD studios did this? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyway, this is about what HD DVD PG can do next. They have the option of Twin and Combos. The idea we should focus on is how to get the studios to act on these tech. We are not here to say "HD DVD is dead, go home" Leave that in the BR forum.

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 PM

Somebody in another thread brought up the idea of only issueing combo discs (or twin when available) to rental stores.

This would serve the dual purpose of educating people (could have an intro/add like Disney always has).

This would cost some money, but not nearly as much as only issueing combos for all sales, and it would reach an awful lot of people.

Just imagine the netflix user that suddenly has about 1/4 to 1/3 of their movies coming in highdef, they might figure why not get that $120 A3 and try a few of them. They discs are in the house anyway and the dog chewed up the remote for the old player. Maybe time for a new one. 7 free discs - how nice. Lets see what this is all about.
post #453 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrum View Post

Somebody in another thread brought up the idea of only issueing combo discs (or twin when available) to rental stores.

This would serve the dual purpose of educating people (could have an intro/add like Disney always has).

This would cost some money, but not nearly as much as only issueing combos for all sales, and it would reach an awful lot of people.

Just imagine the netflix user that suddenly has about 1/4 to 1/3 of their movies coming in highdef, they might figure why not get that $120 A3 and try a few of them. They discs are in the house anyway and the dog chewed up the remote for the old player. Maybe time for a new one. 7 free discs - how nice. Lets see what this is all about.

I like this idea, it makes a lot of sense on the rental market as they wouldn't have to issue the same movies twice and therefore less downtime for the disc. Since only a limited amount of disc are issued for rental, there wouldn't even be a capacity issue in producing them.

"never give in, never give in, never, never, never, neverÂin nothing, great or small, large or pettyÂnever give in except to convictions of honour and good sense." - W. Churchill
post #454 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

As much as I love my A3, I think the game is over. I will still continue to get what I can in HD DVD, but will add a blu ray soon for the rest.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #455 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini View Post

As much as I love my A3, I think the game is over. I will still continue to get what I can in HD DVD, but will add a blu ray soon for the rest.

The market is at 1% market share. Do you really think the game is over when they haven't penetrated any significant homes. I do understand that things don't look good, I can't argue with that, but there is a lot of time and market share room for anything to happen.

post #456 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourke View Post

Stop intentionally distorting facts - HD DVD was not even launched as a format until April 18, 2006. If you're out by a year there - then who knows how far out your other numbers are!

Care for the links? They're official. It still took more than a year post launch and (at least in North America) there've only been two exceedingly minor releases.

Quote:

Hence why many of us believe it should (and most likely will) happen soon.

It shouldn't and it won't. Count on it.

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
22 Blu, 10 Red + Heroes + Smallville Season 6
post #457 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post

Care for the links? They're official. It still took more than a year post launch and (at least in North America) there've only been two exceedingly minor releases.

You've just admitted that it's not 2 years as you originally claimed, but now 1 year... why would I need links to prove what you just admitted?!

Quote:

It shouldn't and it won't. Count on it.

If you're not here for HD DVD, then please move on.

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
post #458 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM

They should stop release SD DVD's and transition into releasing Combos right away while keeping the price at min for as long as they can.
post #459 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You've just admitted that it's not 2 years as you originally claimed, but now 1 year... why would I need links to prove what you just admitted?!

I've done nothing of the sort. It WAS added to the HD-DVD spec when I said it was. You rightfully pointed out that the format didn't hit market until a year later.

That does nothing to change the FACT that it took two years from being added to the specification for the first disc to be released.

But I can certainly understand why you wouldn't want to believe something coming from the DVD Forum. What would they know about it, eh?

http://www.dvdforum.org/booksubscribers_notice2.htm

DVD Specifications for High Density Read-Only Disc (HD DVD-ROM) Part 1 PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS Version 1.1 were upgraded to Ver.1.2 in May 2005. Ver.1.2 specifications provide "HD DVD-ROM/DVD-ROM Twin format disc" (hereinafter "Twin format disc") as a normative annex.

Twin format disc is a newly introduced type of disc in the HD DVD-ROM family. Its dual layer structure is composed of the combination of HD DVD-ROM single layer and DVD-ROM single layer.

This physical integration of a DVD-ROM layer with an HD DVD-ROM layer is intended to provide playback functionality of the Twin format disc not only by HD DVD-ROM players but also by DVD-ROM players.

The Twin format disc is also intended to be recognized as a Single-Layer DVD-ROM disc by legacy players that have already been introduced into the market; therefore, this disc can be played back by many existing players.

However, at the same time, due to the new combination of two different formats for legacy players, there is also possibility that a Twin format disc may not be correctly identified or played back by a legacy player.

Therefore, Subscribers may wish to provide an appropriate notice to end-users regarding this potential issue. For this purpose, Subscribers may wish to consider the following example of a caution notice to end-users.

3. Example of caution language.

As an example, the DVD Forum provides the following sample caution notice to be used for Twin format disc products for the above-specified purpose (hereinafter "the Sample Notice").

"Caution:
This disc is a dual layer disc composed of a combination of HD DVD-Video & DVD-Video single-layers to provide playback functionality for both HD DVD-Video players and DVD-Video players. However, some DVD-Video players might not play back this Twin format disc, due to its physical integration."

It's not ever going to happen.

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
post #460 of 464 Old 02-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

"Caution:
This disc is a dual layer disc composed of a combination of HD DVD-Video & DVD-Video single-layers to provide playback functionality for both HD DVD-Video players and DVD-Video players. However, some DVD-Video players might not play back this Twin format disc, due to its physical integration."

That's one way to force users to upgrade their players :-)

2008: BD+ hacked... payback time for Warner, Fox and Disney!
post #461 of 464 Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, except there's never, ever, going to be a single title released on three-layer Twin. It's pure vapourware.

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
post #462 of 464 Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

1/15/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post

In a last ditch effort to save HD-DVD, lets say the 3 remaining HD studios decide to stop releasing new titles in the plain DVD format, and instead start releasing everything in a combo format, with Toshiba or whoever subsidizing the additional cost. Could HD-DVD grab a new foothold?

One month later we find out what happened when the remaining HD DVD studios did NOTHING. Maybe there were cards to play, but it seems that we were never close to seeing them.

I've been an HD DVD supporter, but I do not think they had any big plans technology-wise for CES. Obviously, if they did, they would have regrouped and come out full force before the wheels came completely off.

It's hard to tell from the outside, but it doesn't seem like Toshiba, Paramount, or Universal really had their hearts in the cause of saving this format.
post #463 of 464 Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM

Yeah, They definitely need some kind of big announcement early next week, because the longer they're silent, the worse it looks....
post #464 of 464 Old 02-15-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

It's easy for us to come up with what companies "should" do, without any knowledge of what would be involved.

As I've said before - there was only one announcement that had a reasonable chance of success, and that announcement was impossible. The only thing that could have saved HD was for the majority of studios to switch sides. No advertising, no price cut, no combo or twin-disc could do it. There was no way for HD to survive, let alone win.

HD was doomed from the start without studio support. The only thing they've ever done that might have helped was Paramount, but it really looks like Paramount saw them coming and took the money and ran.

Blu Loyal, HD Flexible
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page