I Am Legend on HD DVD April 8th - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I the only person who actually liked the theater ending better. I know we all like the happy ending better, but the ending they provided did make him legend in the movie.

I also like the flyby to the base they have in the movie ending as well.

It really leaves you thinking if humanity will be able to come back now that they have atleast a small foothold and starting point.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 12:03 PM

I don't know very many people that have actually seen both so...

I liked both. I think it would kind of depend on what mood I was in, on which I liked better. I think it would probably change from day to day.

I did really enjoy the 2 min of deleted scenes they added into the alternate version though. I think those should have made the theatrical release.
post #183 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I prefer the Theatrical ending, however, I don't dislike the alternate. I was expecting alot from the alternate with all the buzz about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac View Post

I prefer the Theatrical ending, however, I don't dislike the alternate. I was expecting alot from the alternate with all the buzz about it.

The same here.

I think what differentiated this latest version from the others were that they mutants were more CGI'd monsters than human vampire types.

For all its melodrama and flaws, I think the book and the first movie version's ending was better.

It is ashame because I think Will Smith did an amazing performance.

It is ashame they could make's Ruth the girl who came to him from a half-vampire society like the last man on earth.

But all in all, it is a great film.

I guess the alternates version was a way of showing that the evolution was not complete as was the case in the last man standing (in a way).

I think the "happy ending" was just too unbelievable if that makes sense.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

post #185 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting, watched the alternate ending...and....was I the only one who noticed that footage from the alternate ending made it into at least one teaser trailer for this movie way back when? I remember in October or November seeing trailer footage that wasn't in the movie itself when I saw it last December, but when I saw this version it all came back to me. Odd.
post #186 of 204 Old 04-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

So I received I Am Legend from Amazon today. The movie arrived in the red HD DVD case, I checked the disc and it is the HD DVD combo version, and the case inserts are HD DVD specific. Yet, the paper sleeve is the Blu Ray version. Has this happened to anyone else?
post #187 of 204 Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin View Post

So I received I Am Legend from Amazon today. The movie arrived in the red HD DVD case, I checked the disc and it is the HD DVD combo version, and the case inserts are HD DVD specific. Yet, the paper sleeve is the Blu Ray version. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just got mine from Amazon today and is the same way. Looks like a call to Amazon is in my future.
post #188 of 204 Old 04-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emannikcufesin View Post

I received my "pre-order" copy from Amazon on 4/9. Mine seems to be HD DVD "through and through". The only strange thing is the red case has HD DVD embossed on it, but the letters are not "silvered" as on the case for every other HD DVD I've purchased.
post #189 of 204 Old 04-19-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swlee View Post

I received my "pre-order" copy from Amazon on 4/9. Mine seems to be HD DVD "through and through". The only strange thing is the red case has HD DVD embossed on it, but the letters are not "silvered" as on the case for every other HD DVD I've purchased.

Newer "Elite" cases are like that. My copy of "Charlie" that I just received is like this. The first release (when new) that I noticed with this change in case style was Pan's Labyrinth late last year.
post #190 of 204 Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM

Is this an example of the new Total Hd discs Warner was promising us?
LL
post #191 of 204 Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 170
^^^ LOL, looks like Warner's printing screw-ups weren't just limited to Blu-ray. Remember last year when the Blu "Harry Potters" were mislabeled HD-DVD and people on the Blu forums freaked out? Same deal!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #192 of 204 Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinwpg View Post

Wow. I really hope my copy isn't like this...though I'm fearing it will be. Not only does it not look right, but the features on the two versions aren't even the same!
post #193 of 204 Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I finally got around to watch it last night and am a bit dissapointed, in the movie adaptation itself, not in the PQ / AQ.

Unlike The Omega Man, I thought I Am Legend did a poor job in making the storyline compelling. WTF happeend to all the bodies ??? Corpses, bones, etc don't just dissolve into thin air, even if scavangers scatter the remains all over the place!

I found the only true moment in the movie was when, in the lab, he had to kill his infected dog with his own hands.
Otherwise no romance, love, despair, joy, nada ... an overall flat line of emotions for someone alone for 3 years.

I also was expecting better acting, action and better zombie/creatures.

The alternative ending was classic Hollywood crap

Just my 2c.... Gman
post #194 of 204 Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinwpg View Post

That's exactly what my copy looks like. Thanks for posting.
post #195 of 204 Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanAVS View Post

...I thought I Am Legend did a poor job in making the storyline compelling.

I found the only true moment in the movie was when, in the lab, he had to kill his infected dog with his own hands.
Otherwise no romance, love, despair, joy, nada ... an overall flat line of emotions for someone alone for 3 years.

Actually Neville snaps when the woman tells him God sent her there by having her pick-up the radio broadcast. He unleashes a torrent of repressed emotions that end with his statement 'there is no God.' That and him putting Samantha out of her misery were the emotional payoffs of the movie, I think.

Quote:
I also was expecting better acting, action and better zombie/creatures.

The alternative ending was classic Hollywood crap

Agree, for such a big AAA blockbuster starring Mr. Box Office himself you'd think Warner would pay for better endings and more convincing, menacing CG monsters than the bargain-basement CG they were obviously stuck with.

post #196 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

WTF happeend to all the bodies ??? Corpses, bones, etc don't just dissolve into thin air, even if scavangers scatter the remains all over the place!

IIRC, 85% of the population turned into mutant zombies, and the other 15% were eaten by the mutant zombies. I wouldn't expect to see any corpses lying around.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #197 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

IIRC, 85% of the population turned into mutant zombies, and the other 15% were eaten by the mutant zombies. I wouldn't expect to see any corpses lying around.

Ah! I was mistakenly thinking 10% of the population survived, 9% as mutant and 1% normal (immune) wich in turn become food for the 9% mutants...

Well then where are the 5.9 billion zombies and what do they all do at night, hang lose? lol
post #198 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Well then where are the 5.9 billion zombies and what do they all do at night, hang lose? lol

I guess they would be looking for food during the night, but since they already ate all the non-infected people, what are they eating to survive?
post #199 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

Ah! I was mistakenly thinking 10% of the population survived, 9% as mutant and 1% normal (immune) wich in turn become food for the 9% mutants...

Hmmm... That would kind of make more sense. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Quote:

I didn't say it was a good movie.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
)
Curator,

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #200 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Come on, guys. It wasn't the greatest-ever, but there was some good action and some well-placed dialog between Neville and um, well....Neville talking to Fred.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #201 of 204 Old 04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Got my copy from Deep Discount today. Sleeve is HD DVD, not blu-ray. Thank God! And the HD DVD letters on the red case are silvered.

post #202 of 204 Old 05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Got my copy from Deep Discount today. Sleeve is HD DVD, not blu-ray. Thank God! And the HD DVD letters on the red case are silvered.

Thanks for the update. I'm still waiting on the copy that I ordered from Deep Discount. (I received the shipping notice back on April 17th.)

Update--> My copy also arrived today!
post #203 of 204 Old 05-03-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

I received my copy from AMAZON on Wednesday of this week and it is the same as this. Relieved to see the HD DVD cover insert! Also, it plays through fine on both versions on my XA2 so I'm good to go. I WAS suprised at the silver letters on the case, though. All the newer Warner releases I've seen since Omega Man have had the HD DVD logo embossed as part of the case (on the inside and barely noticeable) with no silver letting.

The movie is alright. I think I cared more about the dog than anything else in the movie.

As far as the extras...the "SD" I Am Legend animated comics on the DVD side *rolls eyes*...they were pretty dull IMO.
post #204 of 204 Old 05-04-2008, 12:45 AM

Like most, I wasn't impressed with the movie. I am a Will Smith fan. I'm reading the book now and they did stray pretty far from the movie. No dog so far. LOL. One thing that was pretty cool was the trailers on the SD side, even the inclusion of HD DVD and BLU RAY together as High Def formats. I'm looking forward to the next Batman movie. I'm surprised they are redoing the first movie with the Joker. I really liked Jack Nicholson as the joker. If you can, pick up the book by Richard Matheson, it's a good read and you'll see what I mean in the first chapters about the book and movie.

Magic

Easy Living :)
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page