Battlestar Galactica replacement thread with Universal Studios address, email, phone - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

Disk 4 would not even load in my 5k and A30, but the PC with anyd and the add on played just fine. Yes I have audio sync issues with disks 1,2,3 disk 4 won't load disk 5 is badly scratched. Will be contacting Universal Monday for replacements.

Has Universal released discs with the Audio sync issues fixed?

Just curous, for what I paid I would want them replaced, being the thread op of course

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop View Post

Just curous, for what I paid I would want them replaced, being the thread op of course

I'm wondering if in December, when they prep people for the Season 4 final episodes if they will release S4 part 1 on blu and also release S1 on blu. At this point, I wonder if we can send in our out-of-sync HD DVDs for some hopefully in sync blu-rays.

Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!
Old 06-30-2008, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop View Post

I have no idea maybe someone that went through the exchange can clarify. All I know is in the PC all the disks play fine with no audio sync issues or loading blocks. I emailed Universal this morning so I will be going through the motions I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My replacements showed up today they sent the whole collector box set. So now I have two I may just make a custom cover for this using a 5 disc case. Anyway I tested all of the discs and they all play in the 5k no scratches or audio lag and disc 5 played without a hitch.
When I sent mine back I actually stuffed all 6 in a European HD DVD case I wasn't sure if I was supposed to send the whole thing back thinking it might not make the shipping cost due to it's width. It only took them three weeks but hey at least I can play all the discs.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 48
Is this still available? I just bought season 1 off Amazon for $15 without knowing about this issue.

Vimeo is the home of the Super8 Shooter...
http://vimeo.com/super8shooter
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a problem with a couple of my Season 1 HD-DVD disks. I emailed Universal at the email on page one of this thread (thanks for posting it). Hopefully, their solution will be to replace them with the Blu-Ray version, since I have both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM

I emailed Universal at the address given and they offered to replace it with the Season 1 Standard DVD. I told them that the equivalent was the Blu-Ray and they basically said, the HD-DVD was discontinued two years ago, take it or leave it.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

I emailed Universal at the address given and they offered to replace it with the Season 1 Standard DVD. I told them that the equivalent was the Blu-Ray and they basically said, the HD-DVD was discontinued two years ago, take it or leave it.

Man...what asses. The CS person makes it sound like it is coming out of their pocket. The MSRP on the HD DVD set was probably comparable to the BD set, not the DVD set.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

Man...what asses. The CS person makes it sound like it is coming out of their pocket. The MSRP on the HD DVD set was probably comparable to the BD set, not the DVD set.

No argument here. They also gave me the choice of two DVDs from a list that included crap that they wanted to get rid of.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

That's really bad, too bad they aren't like Fox. I purchased the BD of Die Hard 2 with the audio error. Emailed Fox, and they sent out a replacement disc free of charge without showing any proof of owning a copy. Granted the audio problem wasn't fixed and I now have two discs of Die Hard 2, but at least the Customer Service people there were kind enough to send out a replacement disc.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:20 AM

Brian, I think with BD it is different because the studio has inventory. With HD-DVD there is no inventory left for them to replace it. But to offer only the DVD when I paid a premium for HD-DVD is cheap. For them, the cost of a BD vs the DVD is nominal.

What I ended up doing is ordering another HD-DVD copy on Amazon and I plan on selling the DVD when it arrives.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Brian, I think with BD it is different because the studio has inventory. With HD-DVD there is no inventory left for them to replace it. But to offer only the DVD when I paid a premium for HD-DVD is cheap. For them, the cost of a BD vs the DVD is nominal.

What I ended up doing is ordering another HD-DVD copy on Amazon and I plan on selling the DVD when it arrives.

If the problem is due to the packaging, I'll say that the UK verson came in different/better packaging.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

If the problem is due to the packaging, I'll say that the UK verson came in different/better packaging.

Yup, same thing is true for the full series on blu. US packaging is, um, creative whereas the UK packaging is nice and also sensible. One would think that the headaches caused by the 'creative' HD DVD packaging would have tempered designs that followed.

Webdev511
San Jose, CA
TrueHD = DTS-MA = LPCM
Low Bit Rate AVC > Low Bit Rate VC-1
High Bit Rate VC-1 > High Bit Rate AVC
MPEG-2 = Great for DVD and that's about it.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Mine had no visible imperfections. It just froze at certain points on both of my HD-DVD players.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
The same thing happened to me in September of 2008 from Universal. From that time, they were already replacing defective HD DVD discs with DVD ones, so this isn't any surprise. I bought mine in July, 2008 for $20 from Inetvideo, and they luckily offered to send me a replacement HD DVD disc. I had problems with all of my 3rd generation players with one of the discs, so I think it was more of an authoring problem, as opposed to a problem from the scratches on the disc or anything like that (I tried the hot water trick like crazy, but still had problems with, I believe, disc 3). As a note, I played the discs fine on my LG BH200 when I picked it up a month later. Not sure how they would have worked on a 2nd generation unit.

I understand being ticked, but it's been at least 1 1/2 years, closer to 2, that the BSG S1 was sold at a premium, especially anywhere near the price that the new S1 Blu-ray release will be at. It sucked that these had the problems that they did, but thinking that anything HD DVD will be fixed by a manufacturer or studio these days is just wrong.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:46 PM

I bought this set on HD DVD off of Inetvido for $10. Worth the money for sure, but disc #3 will only play in one of my HD-A1s and refuses to play in either of my HD-A3s.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electone View Post

I bought this set on HD DVD off of Inetvido for $10. Worth the money for sure, but disc #3 will only play in one of my HD-A1s and refuses to play in either of my HD-A3s.

Sounds like a similar tune around here. Fortunately, there are still HD-DVD copies around.

The other alternative is renting the blu-ray from Netflix.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM

We recently watched the first disc, which took a couple of attempts to get it to load and play. The second disc wouldn't play, period. Hadn't had to reflash the player for anything else in a long while; used the latest, still wouldn't play.

Finally got fed up, and bought the complete BluRay via Amazon.uk and it looks and plays beautifully. Not sure WHAT the problem is with the HDDVD, but that just stinks.

I guess I will see about a swap for the regular dvds to pass on to someone else.