Battlestar Galactica replacement thread with Universal Studios address, email, phone - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I started this thread so those who don't know about it can see it easily and to track the results of those of us, like myself, who are returning individual discs to Warner Brothers for replacement. There is already a thread with lots of posts about the damage itself, that is some pages long now, by placing it here in a post by itself people can clearly see they have an option rather than having to just sit on BSG damaged disc(s), as I don't see someone reading every post in that thread or finding this info easily with the search function.

This will also be useful for those who got the set as a gift, or can't return it for exchange to their merchant.

Universal WILL do an exchange without a receipt this way if you go through them directly.

I submitted a message on their website two weeks ago, and today I got an plain 8.5 x11 white envelope with hand applied stamps, to return the disc in.

It has no cardboard, no box, nothing to keep the disc from rolling around inside the envelope or smashed to pieces in the postal system.

I know these are being returned as defective but this is a bit sloppy in my opinion.

I am going to put some cardboard in here and be sure to get a postal service delivery confirmation receipt.

It says on single generic printout( I hand copied this verbatim so mods please leave for the other members who might need the contact info):

Dear HD-DVD Owner,

Please place your defective HD-DVD(s) in the prepaid envelope, along with the top portion of this letter. Please return within 30 days of the date above, and allow 3-6 weeks to receive your replacement DVDs.

If you have additional questsions, please e-mail USHE.ConsumerRelations@bydeluxe.com or
phone us at (661) 702-5132. Phone hours are 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. West Coast time.

Thank you for your patronage

Sincerely
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

The top portion of the letter has some other number on it, my name, the name of the show, and such, so I would not try to duplicate what I posted here and hope it works for you. I would email them and they will send this to you in the regular US mail.

owner of several Samsung LCD Panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

geez 26 views in like 30 minutes, quite a few people must be interested in this

post #3 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't watched mine yet. What's the issue?
post #4 of 48 Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post

I haven't watched mine yet. What's the issue?

Some people opened that crazy packaging to find some of the disc(s) rolling around loose, and seriously cracked or scratched.

In some cases it was multiple discs, and they were scratched to the point of being completely unplayable.

post #5 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 AM

This is good news. All my disks look pristine except the last one. I won't have time to watch the last one before my return period is up. Sucks that it takes so long to get a new one, though. Hope they package the new one better than the way they expect you to send your faulty one back.
post #6 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZtop View Post

Some people opened that crazy packaging to find some of the disc(s) rolling around loose, and seriously cracked or scratched.

In some cases it was multiple discs, and they were scratched to the point of being completely unplayable.

+1
My discs were all in place on the rubber holders,but when taken out to watch had scratches on 4 of the 6 discs.
Very dissapointing.

I support Region-Free/OAR!
post #7 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 AM

I sent mine back a week or two ago. It was not an 8.5 X 11 envelope though. They sent me an envelope roughly the size of a DVD with the stamps on it and the sheet you mentioned. The envelope fit 3 discs snuggly, which is what I was told it should hold. I am still waiting on my replacement and am hopeful it will be soon.

As for the envelope they want you to send your discs back in, I really don't care what it goes in as long as it gets there. They don't care either, as they are simply going to throw the discs out when they get them, so if they show up in even worse quality it's no big deal.
post #8 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

That's true. I'm not sure why it would matter what condition the discs get there in. I shoved all 6 of mine inside the DVD-sized envelope (I had to add more postage, though) and had pristine replacements a couple of weeks later.
post #9 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 07:11 AM

Too late - I returned to Amazon the week I got it. Good news nonetheless. I probably should have waited, but I was just so royally pissed about the packaging. Maybe the Blu Ray will be better.
post #10 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM

whats the link I can voice my displeasure!?

HD-DVD: 159
Blu-Ray: 0
post #11 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM

I'm going to try it out. Hopefully, this also applies to Canadians as well.
post #12 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I don't think the condition the returned disc is in when it gets there matters too much, but by allowing to slide free in an envelope as large as 8.5x11, its easily possible for it to rip or get forced through the paper and fall out of the envelope as it makes it way through the mail system.

Then either the whole thing doesn't make it there or an empty envelope does, and who knows what Universal would do then, thats my only concern.

Like anyone else I only want to do this once, especially since it takes so many weeks to get the new disc.

post #13 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 09:20 AM

That makes sense ZZ. I'm surprised they sent full sized envelops to you when myself and others got DVD sized. I hope nothing stupid like that happens and your replacement goes smooth.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 AM

I have two copies of this set, one defective, and one perfect.

I can't return the defective copy to amazon cause i passed the return date...

anyone want to buy my defective/scratched set for like $30 via paypal?

you could then return the discs to universal and have them send you new ones
post #15 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unfortunately, the audio sync problem is an authoring problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserguns View Post

I have two copies of this set, one defective, and one perfect.

I can't return the defective copy to amazon cause i passed the return date...

anyone want to buy my defective/scratched set for like $30 via paypal?

you could then return the discs to universal and have them send you new ones

When did you buy it? Those who bought close to Xmas have until Jan. 30 to return it.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 AM

Bought it when it first came out. Disks were scratched. Asked for new one. New one came. Went home for christmas break. Couldn't return scratched. Got charged for it.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I bought my set from Amazon and it played just fine. One or two disk had what looked like smudging on the discs, but it didn't affect the playback.

post #18 of 48 Old 01-18-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar View Post

I bought my set from Amazon and it played just fine. One or two disk had what looked like smudging on the discs, but it didn't affect the playback.

Lets try to keep the posts to those who need replacement from Universal Studios, or are already waiting for replacement from Universal, so we can see how well their replacement program works for fellow members.

For those who got it as a gift, or can't return it or exchange it, this is the only option they have. Like the above poster said, if you bought it from Amazon.com you have until the end of January last I heard to work with them on replacements etc.

There is already a thread about the BSG disc damage itself.

post #19 of 48 Old 01-25-2008, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please place your defective HD-DVD(s) in the prepaid envelope, along with the top portion of this letter. Please return within 30 days of the date above, and allow 3-6 weeks to receive your replacement DVDs.

You think they'd replace your defective HD DVDs with replacement HD DVDs, not standard def DVDs.
post #20 of 48 Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

I just sent my 4 scratched disks (2-5) back to Universal today. The postage paid 8.5 x 11 envelope they sent me was pretty flimsy. I'll post when I receive the replacements.

Two post offices here would not take one disc in that big an envelope, so I called them. One week later they called to tell me they are sending ANOTHER envelope and that the 8.5x11 envelopes were a mistake.

post #21 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I know I fly in the face of logic adopting HD-DVD after the Warner thing...but I got a great deal on an HD-A30 and already bought Serenity and it looks just as good as the average Blu-ray movie to my eyes..but I think the A30 actually does a bit better with SD dvd's than my PS3. Now my question...

I really bought into HD-DVD because of the low prices combined with exclusives that will go Blu who knows when (if ever) and mainly for BSG season 1. Now I've read too many horror stories about scratched disks and I'm wondering if Universal has changed their packaging to address this? Also is there a list of HD-DVD exlcusives here on the forum or elsewhere...I didn't find one. Thanks..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #22 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

Yes, I know I fly in the face of logic adopting HD-DVD after the Warner thing...but I got a great deal on an HD-A30 and already bought Serenity and it looks just as good as the average Blu-ray movie to my eyes..but I think the A30 actually does a bit better with SD dvd's than my PS3. Now my question...

I really bought into HD-DVD because of the low prices combined with exclusives that will go Blu who knows when (if ever) and mainly for BSG season 1. Now I've read too many horror stories about scratched disks and I'm wondering if Universal has changed their packaging to address this? Also is there a list of HD-DVD exlcusives here on the forum or elsewhere...I didn't find one. Thanks..

Welcome to the Purple Side, glad to see folks branching out their collections like that. And yes, because of all the flurry of sales on HD-DVD stuff, now is a GREAT time to be purple!

Regarding packaging and scratched disks.. I've had this problem all of twice. One time was a large "53% Off Sale" order I made for HD-DVD stuff from amazon. The order was about 12 titles, and out of those 12 at least 6 were scratched up... but they were not scratched up because of packaging but because they were "recycled returns". (I've caught Amazon doing this numerous times but usually it's harmless.) I go to Amazon tell them those 6 titles are defective, they IMMEDIATELY ship out BRAND NEW replacements that I get the next day. I then ship back the defective ones, no problem all is resolved.

Second time I got a bad HD-DVD was from Fry's, I got "The Manchurian Candidate" from them and the disk was loose in the package. That has so far been the only occurrance of a disk scratched because of the packaging, or being loose in package. I don't know if that makes me "lucky" so far in the grand scheme of things but I think by now.. most of the titles you buy are probably in "2nd generation packaging", i.e. the manufacturers have ironed out the issues since then.

And again, welcome to PURPLE.

I've officially gone PURPLE, thank you LG!
My Growing Video Collection
post #23 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tokyo...I see my thread was merged into this one, I guess I missed it when I did a search. Since I get most of my movies from Amazon anyway..and it seems universal is doing an exchange themselves...I'll go ahead and take my chances with BSG season 1. For whatever reason I didn't start following the show until season 2 and I kick myself for that.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #24 of 48 Old 01-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
My BSG Season 1 discs appear to be fine. My biggest issue is the ultra crappy packaging for the disks. I wish they would have just used a regular old 5-disc DVD case like my Blade Runner set. This artsy box with corner's cut off is just a P.O.S.

Dedicated Theater Room Setup (on a reasonable budget):
Sony VPL-HW55ES + VAPEX 120" Fixed Frame Screen
Denon X4000 (used as Pre-Pro) + Sherbourn PA 7-350 + Velodyne SMS-1
B&W Nautilus 803 (L/R) + B&W CDM-CNT + DefTech BPX + BP2X (surrounds)
Seaton SubM HP+ Master and Slave (boom!)
Sources: PS4 + PS3 + Xbox 360 + Tosh HD-XA2 + DirecTV HR21-200
post #25 of 48 Old 01-31-2008, 08:24 PM

I received my 4 replacement disks today, just over 2 week turn-around from when I sent them in. The 4 disks arrived in individual cd cases. My replacements were for disks 1,3,4,5.
post #26 of 48 Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoShoe View Post

The order was about 12 titles, and out of those 12 at least 6 were scratched up... but they were not scratched up because of packaging but because they were "recycled returns". (I've caught Amazon doing this numerous times but usually it's harmless.) I go to Amazon tell them those 6 titles are defective, they IMMEDIATELY ship out BRAND NEW replacements that I get the next day. I then ship back the defective ones, no problem all is resolved.

What do you mean by "recycled returns"? I ordered Blade Runner from amazon.com, and it arrived with smudges/fingerprints on 2 of the discs, and slight concentric scratch marks on a third. I assume since I am from Canada, it will be more of a hassle returning it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Main Event View Post

I'm going to try it out. Hopefully, this also applies to Canadians as well.

I have held off buying BSG hoping that later batches will be free of these problems. I could buy them locally but $90 is too much (compared to $70 + shipping from amazon.com). Has any Canadians had success with this Universal replacement program?
post #27 of 48 Old 02-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I started this thread so those who don't know about it can see it easily and to track the results of those of us, like myself, who are returning individual discs to Warner Brothers for replacement. There is already a thread with lots of posts about the damage itself, that is some pages long now, by placing it here in a post by itself people can clearly see they have an option rather than having to just sit on BSG damaged disc(s), as I don't see someone reading every post in that thread or finding this info easily with the search function.

This will also be useful for those who got the set as a gift, or can't return it for exchange to their merchant.

Universal WILL do an exchange without a receipt this way if you go through them directly.

I submitted a message on their website two weeks ago, and today I got an plain 8.5 x11 white envelope with hand applied stamps, to return the disc in.

It has no cardboard, no box, nothing to keep the disc from rolling around inside the envelope or smashed to pieces in the postal system.

I know these are being returned as defective but this is a bit sloppy in my opinion.

I am going to put some cardboard in here and be sure to get a postal service delivery confirmation receipt.

It says on single generic printout( I hand copied this verbatim so mods please leave for the other members who might need the contact info):

Dear HD-DVD Owner,

If you have additional questsions, please e-mail USHE.ConsumerRelations@bydeluxe.com or
phone us at (661) 702-5132. Phone hours are 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. West Coast time.

Thank you for your patronage

Sincerely
UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT

The top portion of the letter has some other number on it, my name, the name of the show, and such, so I would not try to duplicate what I posted here and hope it works for you. I would email them and they will send this to you in the regular US mail.

Sorry, but you did not post a return address. Could you post that please? Thanks.
post #28 of 48 Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPU Big A View Post

I received my 4 replacement disks today, just over 2 week turn-around from when I sent them in. The 4 disks arrived in individual cd cases. My replacements were for disks 1,3,4,5.

Do you have a return address?
post #29 of 48 Old 06-29-2008, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Disk 4 would not even load in my 5k and A30, but the PC with anyd and the add on played just fine. Yes I have audio sync issues with disks 1,2,3 disk 4 won't load disk 5 is badly scratched. Will be contacting Universal Monday for replacements.
post #30 of 48 Old 06-29-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I did a little more testing on the PC and disks 1 thru 3 audio play fine using Jungles Digital Theatre. No need for third party rippers/decrypters using the Japanese version of DT. My out dated PDVD 3104 EVR player won't play it unless I use anyd and with this verson of PDVD it uses overlays and thus the banding and over saturated reds.

DT also uses overlays but looks much better due to better color balance but fails miserably on the aliasing, oh well it's always a catch 22 with technology. Disk 5 plays on all sw players on the PC, but fails to play in any SA player. I did get the 5k to play disk 5 once but it was just a cheap one night trick. I haven't been able to play it again ever since. I may just send the whole set back to Universal since disks 1 thru 3 have sync issues and disk 4 won't load on any SA and disk 5 is badly scratched.

So no issues with SW solutions on the PC using DT, but encounter various issues with SA players either loading or audio sync issues go fig....
Reply HD DVD Software

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page