Wadia 170 iTransport - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 148 Old 11-26-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I got my wadia yesterday, what a sweet dock it is!

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 148 Old 11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
The interconnect that comes with the wadia is a good one, seems to be well built and has a nice amount of weight to it.

Jesus Christ is the Way, The Truth, and The Life, He is the only Way to God!

Yamaha RXV765

Emotiva LPA-1

Ascend Sierra-2s(LCR), RSS300, Polk R15

SVS PB12 plus

Panasonic S65

Sony S5100

PS4, PS3, XBOX 360

post #123 of 148 Old 01-02-2010, 10:37 PM

Liked: 10
So it looks like I am struggling with the same issue that many of you are. I hate the sound that comes out of my Ipod using RCA connections and realize I need to go to a transport like the Wadia to get the sound I want out of my Ipod using my Anthem/Paradigm signature system (Anthem D2v with Paradigm S8v3's, C5, etc.). I have done a ton of research and it appears there are several options:
1) Wadia 2) Apple TV 3) Squeezebox 4) Onkyo ND-S1 5) Denon (Unknown if true digital) 6) others?

So far here is where I am at... I was ready to buy the Wadia as it appeared to be just what I needed...pure good sound out of the Ipod using Apple Lossless files and the DAC in the D2v to get great sound (also thought I saw there is a possible issue with the Wadia and D2v but not sure why there would be as it is a simple COAX connection???). However then I looked at Apple TV. I have both a new IMac and a PC laptop so not loyal to Apple but I do use Itunes, Mobileme and have plenty of Ipods so having another Apple product is not a big deal to me. Going back to my main goal (Audiophile sound out of my Ipod...) the Apple TV setup appears that it would give me great sound as I could sync my music from my Itunes library to the Apple TV and play those Apple lossless files via HDMI + I get a better interface than the Wadia product and on top of that it is way cheaper. Am I thinking correctly? By the way do not care about all the other stuff that Apple TV does. Again only want to play my music with the best sound possible. Does Apple TV provide true digital output with no DAC in the way so that my D2v can do the work with its DAC? Any better ideas? Please help as I am close to figuring this out but just finally got to the point that I am confused and again all I want is the best sound possible for my Apple lossless music. I should mention that I am comparing the sound of my music to a CD played on my PS3 which blew away the Ipod with RCA connection setup. Thank you in advance for all your help.
post #124 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiu View Post

So it looks like I am struggling with the same issue that many of you are. I hate the sound that comes out of my Ipod using RCA connections and realize I need to go to a transport like the Wadia to get the sound I want out of my Ipod using my Anthem/Paradigm signature system (Anthem D2v with Paradigm S8v3's, C5, etc.). I have done a ton of research and it appears there are several options:
1) Wadia 2) Apple TV 3) Squeezebox 4) Onkyo ND-S1 5) Denon (Unknown if true digital) 6) others?

So far here is where I am at... I was ready to buy the Wadia as it appeared to be just what I needed...pure good sound out of the Ipod using Apple Lossless files and the DAC in the D2v to get great sound (also thought I saw there is a possible issue with the Wadia and D2v but not sure why there would be as it is a simple COAX connection???). However then I looked at Apple TV. I have both a new IMac and a PC laptop so not loyal to Apple but I do use Itunes, Mobileme and have plenty of Ipods so having another Apple product is not a big deal to me. Going back to my main goal (Audiophile sound out of my Ipod...) the Apple TV setup appears that it would give me great sound as I could sync my music from my Itunes library to the Apple TV and play those Apple lossless files via HDMI + I get a better interface than the Wadia product and on top of that it is way cheaper. Am I thinking correctly? By the way do not care about all the other stuff that Apple TV does. Again only want to play my music with the best sound possible. Does Apple TV provide true digital output with no DAC in the way so that my D2v can do the work with its DAC? Any better ideas? Please help as I am close to figuring this out but just finally got to the point that I am confused and again all I want is the best sound possible for my Apple lossless music. I should mention that I am comparing the sound of my music to a CD played on my PS3 which blew away the Ipod with RCA connection setup. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Apple tv works great! You will need a monitor or tv to see the display etc.
It has a toslink optical output to feed your Processor's input.
160 gig will hold about 600 cds converted to lossless.
It also will stream through wifi content on Itunes.
Last I looked it was $229.I would not use HDMI for audio. Sound quality concerns have been noted.Jitter?
Toslink will probably be your best bet.
I have the Wadia as well. Sound quality just might be better on Apple tv. Very close however.
Apple tv or the Wadia with Lossless should sound as good as your PS3 playing cds.
Hope this helps
post #125 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've compared my Wadia/iPod with wave lossless to my bel canto CD-1, both plugged into my Anthem D2v and I can detect very little difference, and in fact, at times, I give the edge to the Wadia. I've tried both digital XLR (AES/EBU) to use the D2v's DAC and also the Analog XLR to use the bel canto's DAC. Edge to the D2v. I'm using digital on the Wadia, which you need to do to bypass the iPods DAC. So, comparing a $5000 cp player being used as a transport only, to the Wadia/iPod combo at less than $700, the edge goes to the Wadia. Both are far better than my PS3, but it is connected via HDMI.

Click
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click
for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #126 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 07:50 AM

Forget the Onkyo (and Denon if it doesn't bypass the DAC).

I'm not sure how the SQ compares to the others but people spend big money on the squeezebox to get better sound out of it and it's costly to begin with.

I prefer Wadia over AppleTV because I don't want to have to have a computer running (plus apple tv) to play music. Plus, it's unlikely that SQ is better. Since you don't want the other AppleTV functions, consider the Wadia.
post #127 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiu View Post

The Wadia does indeed do a great job - I've got one setup for over a month and couldn't be happier, now that I am finally able to use my ipod for listening through the stereo.

I really only have one gripe: the interface and remote is painful. For one, getting up from my sweet spot and changing music on the ipod while it is docked is a bit of an annoying experience. You can just undock the ipod, change the music and dock it back - which is what I do, since the ipod is supposed to be a handheld device and that's how the scroll wheel etc. work best. What I would have loved would have been to have that interface on the tv so that I could switch without having to get up. The remote - enough has been said about what a terrible piece of electornics it is.

The more I think about it, a Mac Mini (with the TV screen for visual output) would have been a more elegant solution (albeit more expensive). Run straight from the itunes, into the DAC and off you go. All you need is the wireless mouse and keyboard.

By the way, since you already have an iMac, why don't you consider hooking it up directly to your outboard DAC? All Macs have a digital (optical) output, embedded in the headphone port (you'll need a toslink adaptor). Even if you run a long wire between the Mac and the DAC, you'll be fine (optical cable length will not degrade the quality - remember that this is digital information). This way you can run your music straight from your itunes.
post #128 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Went with Apple TV. Used some Best Buy points so it was basically cut in half for $'s. Actually could not be happier. Brought it home and in 20 minutes tops I was playing music. Sound is awesome!!! Just streamed music from my IMac and it was as good or better than a CD on the PS3. Not sure it will make a difference storing and playing the music on the 160GB hard drive of the Apple TV but will do that as well. Actually some of the other features like being able to access Podcasts and view my photos are very nice benefits plus I know the interface has to be far superior to the Wadia product based on the reviews I read. Thank you again for all the help. Now I am just waiting on my Paradigm Sub 2 to complete my system.
post #129 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Congratulations on your purchase - you can't go wrong with Apple TV as a music server.

By the way, for streaming music from your Mac, the simplist way is to add an Airport Express (assuming you have an Airport Extreme base station). The Airport Express also has a digital optical out, which will basically allow you to stream digital audio from your Mac and onto the DAC.
post #130 of 148 Old 01-03-2010, 08:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddingle View Post

Apple tv works great! You will need a monitor or tv to see the display etc.

Not if you use the ipod Touch as a remote

Quote:

It has a toslink optical output to feed your Processor's input. 160 gig will hold about 600 cds converted to lossless. It also will stream through wifi content on Itunes. Last I looked it was $229.
I would not use HDMI for audio. Sound quality concerns have been noted.Jitter?

No Jitter for me sound quality through HDMi is swell especially with Classé SSP-800

Quote:

Toslink will probably be your best bet. I have the Wadia as well. Sound quality just might be better on Apple tv.

Yes very nice replaced my SCD 777ES for every day listening

My humble Cinema
post #131 of 148 Old 01-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello All,
When you listen to music via the Wadia's analog outs is there a DAC on board the Wadia, or does it use the amplifiers DAC?
post #132 of 148 Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM

If you're using the Wadia's analog output (which you shouldn't, why buy one?) you're using the iPod's dac.
post #133 of 148 Old 01-04-2010, 07:40 PM

As I mentioned above I already went with Apple TV but I did e-mail Wadia before I purchased with a concern around connection with the Wadia product and the Anthem D2V. Reply from Wadia is copied below (this makes my recent purchase of Apple TV even more satisfying):

Thank you for your interest in the Wadia 170iTransport.

Anthem has set the digital coax inputs to a tolerance that is narrower than the industry standard. We have set our digital output to match the industries two standards (TTL and SPDIF). Anthem has acknowledged this and recommends that you try using the AES/EBU input which is not set to the same tolerances as the coax, but to the industry standard. You just need to get a XLR to RCA adaptor available at Best Buy (Musical Instrument Dept.) and other similar stores.

Please feel free to contact Wadia if you have any other questions or comments.
post #134 of 148 Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
pjp

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Does anybody have any info on timeline for the 171i being available? According to this, it should be out in Q1 2010: http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/171i.php

I just picked up a Muse Model 2 DAC and am anxious to pull the trigger on a Wadia dock, but seems like might be worth waiting for the 171i (with apparently improved remote) if it's going to be out soon.
post #135 of 148 Old 01-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Wadia told me at CES that it will be shipping Q1 2010.
By the way it does sound wonderful! I was able to hear the 171i paired with the 151 PowerDAC hooked to a pair of Dynaudio towers. Quite good. They have added some things to the remote so it is a little better on the new piece.
post #136 of 148 Old 01-16-2010, 06:43 AM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbua5150 View Post

Wadia told me at CES that it will be shipping Q1 2010.
By the way it does sound wonderful! I was able to hear the 171i paired with the 151 PowerDAC hooked to a pair of Dynaudio towers. Quite good. They have added some things to the remote so it is a little better on the new piece.

Thanks -- I'm going to wait for the 171i to come out. I haven't found any word about "Q1" means in terms of an actual date -- I emailed Wadia sales but did not receive a reply.
post #137 of 148 Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 AM

I've been subscribed to this thread from a long time ago so I don't know about any new products, but the fact that you have to look at the iPod screen to pick a song was unbelievable to me. I ended up with a Squeezebox duet since I have all my music on my PC anyways.
post #138 of 148 Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM

"Q1" means in the first quarter (first three months) of 2010. I believe I was told March.
post #139 of 148 Old 01-23-2010, 08:14 AM
pjp

I received a reply from Wadia regarding the 171i. I sounds like it will become available in April. It will not replace the 170i but will be an upgraded model available alongside the 170i and be priced several hundred more than the 170. As stated in the release, it contains an improved remote and other upgrades over the 170. I would like to go for the 171, but not sure if I want to wait until April.
post #140 of 148 Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM

Does anyone have the new 171i yet? Has anyone actually heard it?

Wadia's marketing info lists some "upgrades", but current 170i owners such as myself are curious as to any real world sonic improvements/differences (?)

Thanks.

Jack
post #141 of 148 Old 04-03-2010, 06:21 AM
pjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack7777 View Post

Does anyone have the new 171i yet? Has anyone actually heard it?

Wadia's marketing info lists some "upgrades", but current 170i owners such as myself are curious as to any real world sonic improvements/differences (?)

Thanks.

Jack

There still seems to be very little published info on the 171. The April/May edition of Sound & Vision has a one sentence mention of the 171 in the "Stereo Review" article saying it has a price of $579 (first time I've seen a published price) and iPhone compatibility along with sonic improvements.

The published data (probably originally from Wadia) mention improved power supply, higher quality connectors, and improved remote. It's difficult to tell so far whether there are any meaningful benefits in sound until somebody tests it.
post #142 of 148 Old 04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I don't suppose if anyone knows if the 170i is compatible with the iPad. I know it's not *physically* compatible, of course, but I was wondering if the digital audio and charging capabilities worked if you had a dock extender. What a beautiful audio interface that would be!

post #143 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Guys!
Got my Wadia 170i. Tried syncing with my iPod video 30GB unit but no luck. I don't see the Wadia logo on the iPod screen. iPod is approx 4 yrs old. Do I need to download latest version of iTunes software to the iPod? The iPod is charging when connected to the Wadia unit. iPod is fully charged & I am using the correct cradle. appreciate any help you guys can provide.
Thanks,

Vinod
post #144 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodk View Post

Hi Guys!
Got my Wadia 170i. Tried syncing with my iPod video 30GB unit but no luck. I don't see the Wadia logo on the iPod screen. iPod is approx 4 yrs old. Do I need to download latest version of iTunes software to the iPod? The iPod is charging when connected to the Wadia unit. iPod is fully charged & I am using the correct cradle. appreciate any help you guys can provide.
Thanks,

It's always good to keep software up to date but I've never seen a wadia logo on my Ipod Classic connected to 170. It either shows battery charging or normal ipod screens. Not sure what you mean that it's not "syncing". I assume you mean you aren't getting it to play music over your system. Make sure you are connected properly to your receiver and you should have music output.
post #145 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

For iPod with video I understand that Wadia goes into extended mode which is supposed to show Wadia logo on iPod screen. By syncing I mean that the music is not playing through Wadia's digital output. I will try to update the iPod with latest iTunes software to see if it helps.

Vinod
post #146 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Vinodk:

FWIW, I've also not ever seen a Wadia logo displayed on my iPod Classic screen while hooked up to my Wadia 170. It does show when the battery is charging.

Jack
post #147 of 148 Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Updated iPod with latest software from iTunes. Now everything is working well. Wadia logo shows up on iPod screen.

Vinod
post #148 of 148 Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 PM

Hi all, I've just bought a Wadia 171i transport and I need help regarding one issue: I have an Anthem AMV50V as a processor to use with the Wadia and would like to know if I should get an external DAC (such as a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic or Arcam rDAC) or if I should run the coaxial digital signal from the Wadia straight into the Anthem letting the Anthem DACs do the work?
Which would sound better?
Thanks for the help
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page