Wadia 170 iTransport - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I have not seen a thread started on this yet, but I waiting for them to start taking preorders on this unit. Anybody been able to preorder from a local store yet? Any new word on when the preorders from the website will start? Last time I sent them a e-mail I was told that preorders would start in a few weeks, and it has been a few weeks. Cmon already Wadia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan51 View Post

Well I have not seen a thread started on this yet, but I waiting for them to start taking preorders on this unit. Anybody been able to preorder from a local store yet? Any new word on when the preorders from the website will start? Last time I sent them a e-mail I was told that preorders would start in a few weeks, and it has been a few weeks. Cmon already Wadia.

You can preorder them at Musicdirect.com for $379 with remote.
http://www.musicdirect.com/product/82178
Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Wadia Wadia Wadia.............

Man, back in the day that was one high-end esoteric company.

Oh well, they're in the struggle for the legal tender just like everyone else......

Of course, you could go for the Krell Interface Doc (KID or sumthing like dat) for about $1200 and park your IPod in that.

Whatever. It's all good, clean fun. Enjoy the music and have fun. In the end that is all that counts.......
Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Wadia Wadia Wadia.............

Man, back in the day that was one high-end esoteric company.

I have this vague recollection that they produced some CD players of questionable technical merit. Not sure I'd trust a Wadia DAC for my iPod.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I found the link to Music Direct, about a week ago, and preordered the Dock. I will be curious to see how it sounds.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Wadia, is an audiophile brand and gets consistent raves from Stereophile and the likes. I haven't heard any technical issues, can you point me to one?

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I found the link to Music Direct, about a week ago, and preordered the Dock. I will be curious to see how it sounds.

It shouldn't sound like anything of course, since all it is doing is tapping into the iPod for the digital stream, you still need your own DAC and amp which will ultimately determine the SQ

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
Old 03-29-2008, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
well at least I can say if or when I buy this iTransport piece that I own a brand new Wadia

djoel
Old 03-29-2008, 05:18 PM

What bugs me is why is this thing so big. Is that form factor really neccessary? If it was just a cable or I could fit it into my rack that would have been so much better.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wadia, is an audiophile brand and gets consistent raves from Stereophile and the likes. I haven't heard any technical issues, can you point me to one?

Well, it may get raves from Stereophile, but I recall seeing some measurements in that same rag indicating that Wadia DACs didn't have flat frequency response. That is, or ought to be, unacceptable in a CD player. We've had arguments around here about whether CD players are audibly different. Wadia certainly produced a few that were. But that's not necessarily a recommendation.

Then again, the company went under some years ago, and who knows who's got the name now that their making accessories.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

I have this vague recollection that they produced some CD players of questionable technical merit. Not sure I'd trust a Wadia DAC for my iPod.

I doubt you'll ever buy a Wadia "DAC" for that price, it's a transport.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt you'll ever buy a Wadia "DAC" for that price, it's a transport.

True. I somehow forgot that momentarily when I wrote that post. Still and all, it's not a company whose products I would be proud to own--and I'd like to see independent confirmation of its bit accuracy before I bought one.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:23 AM

At one stage in the mid '90s, it seemed it was "The" player to own, but I agree, Its the last name I also personally would look at if I were in the market for a CD player. However, if it offers a good transport system it may be worth looking at. Once the "experts" have given some feedback. I don't think I'm the only one who listens to three or four tracks on each of my CD's, there are so few that I listen to from start to end. Having all of my favourite tracks available on a high quality playback device that I can feed through the DCS Ring DAC is an attractive prospect.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a freaking Ipod dock, how different will this sound from other docks. I do have to admit that Wadia name looks pretty cool, and would look even cooler in my rack.

Djoel
Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

It's a freaking Ipod dock, how different will this sound from other docks. I do have to admit that Wadia name looks pretty cool, and would look even cooler in my rack.

Djoel

It is a dock, but it is the first model that has been able to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod. It allows the digital data stream to be transported to the DAC of your choice.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I was under the impression that Meridian had already produced a dock that was able to extract the digital data as well, but it had cost a couple of grand, but it was more then a dock though.
Anyway anyone getting this please post impression.

Quote:

Well, it may get raves from Stereophile, but I recall seeing some measurements in that same rag indicating that Wadia DACs didn't have flat frequency response. That is, or ought to be, unacceptable in a CD player. We've had arguments around here about whether CD players are audibly different. Wadia certainly produced a few that were. But that's not necessarily a recommendation.

BTW I'm no big fan of Stereophile, but some of their reviewers use Wadia CD players as they "reference", not that it matters much to me as well. Regarding measurements, I'm not surprised that they show deviation from the signal, how else people would buy into the notion that they all sound different?

The Hun
Old 03-30-2008, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regarding measurements, I'm not surprised that they show deviation from the signal, how else people would buy into the notion that they all sound different

?
The folks who buy into that notion tend to dismiss the significance of measurements.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a dock, but it is the first model that has been able to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod. It allows the digital data stream to be transported to the DAC of your choice.

Cool....Got it.

At this point in time should this, and other similar piece would benefit from having usb connector ?

I looked at the rear of the iTransport and expected to see one.

Djoel
Old 03-30-2008, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
At this point in time should this, and other similar piece would benefit from having usb connector ?

No. It's not meant to connect the iPod to a computer (you've got the regular dock for that).

Old 03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

?
The folks who buy into that notion tend to dismiss the significance of measurements.

My point was that MFRS are deliberately changing the signal["voicing"] to "please" those listeners, and I agree they don't care for measurements[or the why].

The Hun
Old 03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
IIRC, the comments that mcnarnus is referring to on some of the Wadia players had to do with their interpolation filter which allowed a certain amount of out of band information to fold back into the audible audio portion. Now, this is not difficult or costly to do I think. Further, while deviating from what ought to be (IOW get what's on the disk back with the greatest integrity) I think it also addressed other problems at that time that had to do with getting the filter right with the existing technology. A problem that today is likely not so much of a problem given the inexpensiveness of oversampling and the like.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

The price for this unit isn't to bad I guess, it does seem kind of big for a simple transport. I would think it would be better to use something like an Olive or Squeezebox to play music files. But I can see how convenient something like this would be and it would allow others to more easily bring music over to listen.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM

You know, if I was gonna drop that kind of money on an IPod docking station, I'd go all the way and get the Krell.

But the question is, after spending $1200 on the Krell, what do you do in 3 or 4 years when that IPod is history - and you know it's gotta be!

$1200 is NOT consumer electronics throw it in the dumpster when it's junk......at least not around my household.......
Old 03-31-2008, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoney99 View Post

You know, if I was gonna drop that kind of money on an IPod docking station, I'd go all the way and get the Krell.

But the question is, after spending $1200 on the Krell, what do you do in 3 or 4 years when that IPod is history - and you know it's gotta be!

$1200 is NOT consumer electronics throw it in the dumpster when it's junk......at least not around my household.......

Now if I am understanding this right, the Krell Kid is still using the internal DAC of the iPod? I am not blessed/cursed with golden ears, but when I did hear the Krell Kid, it sounded good to me. Assuming the Wadia does what it is supposed to do, it will only set me back $600 including the price of the iPod, compared to $1200 for the Krell piece alone. I'm not using a external DAC, just the Burr Browns that are in my Integra DTC-9.8 preamp. Once I get mine, I make take it to one of my local Krell Dealers to do a comparison.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:16 PM

And let us know what you think.

A small issue to some, or a non-issue to others, but I assume the Krell is Made in The Land of Hamburgers and Hotdogs, and that this Wadia goes good with General Tso's Chicken.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just found out from Wadia, that the iTransports are not shipping until the end of April now.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:22 PM

I've been corresponding with a Wadia employee, who told me today that they are finishing beta testing this week and hope to start shipping the Itransport by mid-May.

I also learned that the component outputs will enable 480p video streaming, but that menus will not be sent via component, so you can't view those on a connected tv or monitor.

Kev
Old 05-01-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happykev View Post

I've been corresponding with a Wadia employee, who told me today that they are finishing beta testing this week and hope to start shipping the Itransport by mid-May.

I also learned that the component outputs will enable 480p video streaming, but that menus will not be sent via component, so you can't view those on a connected tv or monitor.

Kev

I had called Musicdirect a few days back, and was told they were on the boat from China, since the 15 of April. Damm, I hoped to have mine by next week. Sucks about the menus not being able to be seen by the tv. Oh well. If it sounds good, I will be happy.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoney99 View Post

And let us know what you think.

A small issue to some, or a non-issue to others, but I assume the Krell is Made in The Land of Hamburgers and Hotdogs, and that this Wadia goes good with General Tso's Chicken.

No--Wadia is made in Ann Arbor Michigan.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Got a email today from Wadia, that they were going to finally start taking orders direct, and they would start shipping. I am awaiting mine from Music Direct, but if anyone is interested may want to contact them.