AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodH View Post

AND I have a few 20 bit CDs ......

I agree with your other points but where did you find this? All CDs are 16bit including the HDCDs that supposedly are expandable to more.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

I agree with your other points but where did you find this? All CDs are 16bit including the HDCDs that supposedly are expandable to more.

Here is one of a few (there aren't that many, and frankly I sometimes wonder why we even bothered with SACD or DVD-A, when a lot of CD players can play these discs and even some of the DTS 20 and 24 bit audio discs):

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0437
post #93 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Here is one of a few (there aren't that many, and frankly I sometimes wonder why we even bothered with SACD or DVD-A, when a lot of CD players can play these discs and even some of the DTS 20 and 24 bit audio discs):

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?gsku=0437

Sorry. Misleading labeling. Mebbe it was mastered in 20bits but the RedBook specs restrict CDs to 16bits and restrict the players as well.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #94 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry. Misleading labeling. Mebbe it was mastered in 20bits but the RedBook specs restrict CDs to 16bits and restrict the players as well.

aren't there a few 18-20 bit high end CDs out there, most all of them are audiophile stuff and have the gold colored bottom. They say "20 bit" or some IIRC say "super bit" on them.
post #95 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

aren't there a few 18-20 bit high end CDs out there, most all of them are audiophile stuff and have the gold colored bottom. They say "20 bit" or some IIRC say "super bit" on them.

Yup. All advert-talk. CDs are 16bit, that's all.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #96 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yup. All advert-talk. CDs are 16bit, that's all.

umm, interesting.

I have noticed that they do tend to sound really good, perhaps just very careful recording and mixing?
post #97 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

umm, interesting.

I have noticed that they do tend to sound really good, perhaps just very careful recording and mixing?

AFAIK.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #98 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

We can buy XRCD's here in Korea. Lots of titles on there (mostly classical/jazz). I've never bought one. They want about as much as SACDs. Not sure what they sound like, but they advertise a higher bitrate... maybe 20 or 24?

"Any reviewer that didn't rail against this [Young Guns Blu-ray encode] should be sued, and Lionsgate should be ashamed of themselves. " - msgohan
post #99 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM

Liked: 11
It's as the man says, redbook CD's are spec'ed at 16 bits/44.1KHz.

Can't be any different.

Wally
--------------------
post #100 of 159 Old 05-23-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

We can buy XRCD's here in Korea. Lots of titles on there (mostly classical/jazz). I've never bought one. They want about as much as SACDs. Not sure what they sound like, but they advertise a higher bitrate... maybe 20 or 24?

Ya, you can get XRCD pretty much anywhere, they are produced by JVC iirc, and a higher bit rate, I think they claim 20 bits. Reports are they sound incredible.
post #101 of 159 Old 05-24-2008, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

OK, I think I am ready to get something in that $1k range that plays CD and SACD discs. I will leave DVD A/V to another player. I could either use the DAC in the player or just use it as a transport and use the DAC in my McIntosh MX132.

Any advice is appreciated, THANKS!!!

rod the pio pd-d9 is one that comes to mind in the $1000 budget for sacd/cd replay http://www.techradar.com/products/au...-224683/review

otherwise hteres the marantz sa-15 which makes a beaut player for both formats. cheaper thers the marantz 7000ki sig. http://www.qualifi.com.au/index.jsp;...C3D6?page=1056

also theres the denon alternatives including this interesting item.
http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4170.asp

these are analog output and purely 2ch machines and wiht my experience I've had of the marantz capable of an excellent result.

if looking for digital output and multichannel the oppo 983 I'd put up there, . alternatively maybe a denon 3910 or 3930 provides excellent result via hdmi or denon link for multichannel audio.

hope helps. myself I tend to enjoy both cd and sacd via analog and the separate machines I have do for that do a great job that way. hoping to get an oppo 983 in a matter of days and very soon hoping to explore the multichannel digital side of things into my denon AVP

down the track hopefully denon will bring out a blu-ray player with denon link and multichannel music capability eg dvda/sacd. I'll grab one of those in a flash to feed jitter free digital via the denon link to my AVP

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #102 of 159 Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ya, you can get XRCD pretty much anywhere, they are produced by JVC iirc, and a higher bit rate, I think they claim 20 bits. Reports are they sound incredible.

They do sound pretty good but that is due to some special and careful processes used in their creation. They are, and must be, 16bit when they get to you.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #103 of 159 Old 05-31-2008, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 1414
Quote:

OK, I think I am ready to get something in that $1k range that plays CD and SACD discs. I will leave DVD A/V to another player. I could either use the DAC in the player or just use it as a transport and use the DAC in my McIntosh MX132.

Any advice is appreciated, THANKS!!!

My Choice

SA8001 Super Audio CD Player | $899.99
Marantz proudly presents a triumphant achievement: the remarkable SA8001 Super Audio CD player! A Stereophile Class A reccomendation!
Plays Stereo SACD, CD, CD, CD-R/RW
Current Feedback Circuit with Marantz Original HDAM®
Cirrus Logic CS4397 DAC with Digital Filter
Exclusively Designed Original Mechanism for Audio Playback
Zero Impedance Copper Ground Plate for Analog Terminals
Double Layered Bottom Chassis

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #104 of 159 Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 AM

folks,
i just perused through the thread, whew...
but did not see any mention of upsampling of redbook cd.
i have read that this feature improves the sound significantly.
what i'm looking for is a SACD player (<$500) with upsampling feature.
any thoughts on upsampling itself?
any suggestions on players (eg. marantz dv6001)?
thanks...
post #105 of 159 Old 06-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Excellent thread. Thanks to all who participated. You've just helped one
not-so-newb and I do appreciate it. This Illustrates why I love this board.
post #106 of 159 Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Two questions regarding the Parasound for those that can help:

1. Can you output 480i over HDMI? I would rather my video processor do the deinterlacing, inverse telecine and scaling.

2. For two channel analog audio output, how does the redbook cd playback compare to other players?

Thanks in advance.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #107 of 159 Old 06-03-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

Two questions regarding the Parasound for those that can help:

1. Can you output 480i over HDMI? I would rather my video processor do the deinterlacing, inverse telecine and scaling.

2. For two channel analog audio output, how does the redbook cd playback compare to other players?

Thanks in advance.

From what is documented in the specs, 480i is a no go. Resolution output via HDMI starts at 480P.
http://parasound.com/nc/d200.php

Regards.

"Chance favors only the prepared mind. "Louis Pasteur"

ldgibson76

The Setup
post #108 of 159 Old 06-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasman View Post

folks,
i just perused through the thread, whew...
but did not see any mention of upsampling of redbook cd.
i have read that this feature improves the sound significantly.
what i'm looking for is a SACD player (<$500) with upsampling feature.
any thoughts on upsampling itself?
any suggestions on players (eg. marantz dv6001)?
thanks...

I have the VC6001 which is the same as the dv6001 but a changer. The upsampling is great.

frenchmon
post #109 of 159 Old 07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I suggest the Marantz DV7600 for CD/SACD. Refurbs can be had for $249!

CD

Reality Based.
post #110 of 159 Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 AM

I recently purchased a Pioneer PD-D9 CD/SACD player (stereo only, no MCH) and I am rather impressed with the results. I have listened to mostly SACD and it seems to have an "effortless" sound with more depth to the soundstage than the SONY 999ES that it replaced. The 999ES was only used as an audio player and I only used the stereo section. It was a good sounding player, but recently began having problems identifying SACD layers. The Pioneer player seems well built and looks fantastic....

Cheers
post #111 of 159 Old 07-09-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

I recently purchased a Pioneer PD-D9 CD/SACD player (stereo only, no MCH) and I am rather impressed with the results. I have listened to mostly SACD and it seems to have an "effortless" sound with more depth to the soundstage than the SONY 999ES that it replaced. The 999ES was only used as an audio player and I only used the stereo section. It was a good sounding player, but recently began having problems identifying SACD layers. The Pioneer player seems well built and looks fantastic....

Cheers

Thank you for this info. Here is some info I gleaned:
"supports the playback of SACD and CD-R/RW as well as MP3 and WMA audio files. The electronic is based around a twin Wolfson DAC "WM8741" (24 bit/192kHz) recognized as the best sounding audio DAC. For the supply circuit, Low-ESR capacitors have been used along with Schottky diode rectifiers and 2x R-core transformers, one for the digital circuit and the other for the analog circuit.

It results in a SNR of 110 dB for SACDs or 115 dB for CDs, the total harmonic distortion is not bad either with respectively 0.003% for SACDs and 0.002% for CDs"

Nice to know there's a contender to the Marantz SA8001 SACD player at this price point.

C N Machani
post #112 of 159 Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Machani:

I see you are also from the great white north (the other totally opposite coast of course from me in St. John's, NL...). I do not know about the price of the Marantz units, but the Pioneer is now on par with US pricing, way down from a few years ago when Pioneer was running OVER double the US price.

One other piece of information I read in a review (from Britain, I think) is that the Pioneer does not transcode the DSD signal, decodes it directly. I guess that is because no signal manipulation is required for only stereo, no channel balancing or bass management. etc.. Anyway, as I said I am impressed, especially for the price...plus a three year ELITE warranty.

Cheers,
P.E.H.
post #113 of 159 Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Phannon,
Glad to know you are happy with the Pioneer and that pricing is achieving parity with the US. Typically the cost of components here in Vancouver is still some 10 - 20% higher than the US pricing, although other electronics like DSLR cameras are almost on par.

Since we are discussing prices, I often order electronics directly from the US. I've had good success with MusicDirect.com, BHPhotoVideo.com and JR.com. These vendors offer UPS Express service to Canada where I only get charged the PST/GST at my end.

(Of course, I avoid US vendors who only ship by UPS Standard like the plague. I've burnt my fingers with the horrendous brokerage fee UPS slaps on for Standard service).

C N Machani
post #114 of 159 Old 07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

are you saying if i use UPS express service instead of the regular service i might get away with the customs fees? that would be a great tip as last time i ordered something from USA to my home in Canada it cost me so much from Fedex brokerage fees... Now i am trying to make it ship to my US Po Box and and pick it up myself....
post #115 of 159 Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post

are you saying if i use UPS express service instead of the regular service i might get away with the customs fees? that would be a great tip as last time i ordered something from USA to my home in Canada it cost me so much from Fedex brokerage fees... Now i am trying to make it ship to my US Po Box and and pick it up myself....

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Read this: http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Fedex Express (2 day service) charged me a "mere" $10 brokerage fee + PST/GST for a $200 shipment. DHL also charges a low brokerage fee, provided the number of "line items" in the shipment is fewer than 7, I think.

UPS Standard is the big culprit. A lot of people ship UPS Standard thinking it is cheap, only to get burned with horrendous brokerage fees at delivery time.

USPS is another way to go. Canadian customs will only charge you $5 on top of GST/PST. However, they typically work at a snails pace. Canadian customs sometimes will hang on to your package for a week while you twiddle your thumbs.

C N Machani
post #116 of 159 Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baccusboy View Post

A couple of things...

I know for a fact that the new Marantz Blu-ray coming out will not do SACD. It's not on their spec list, anyway. You can go to www.marantz.com to see for yourself, but here are the only specs they list:

Also, I am an owner of the Oppo 980H, and oddly, it does do DSD while the Oppo 981 does not. In fact, I am doing this with my Marantz SR-8002 receiver right now. It sounds wonderful, but to be honest, the LPCM sounds identical (once you level-out channels. LPCM also seems to push mids a tad more for some reason).

To compare the Oppo 980H and 981, see this link: http://www.oppodigital.com/dv980h/dv980h_comp.asp

I own a Oppo, and although it produces some very good sound for the money, the transport is know where near what I like to see in a good CD/SACD player. My Sony 9100ES sounds better to my ears, but thats me, these can be found also for about $500 bucks, black ones are however harder to find. The Parasound for the money on here looks like a clear winner in build quality and sound quality from what I have heard so far from listening to the unit for a few hours.
post #117 of 159 Old 09-01-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post

The Parasound for the money on here looks like a clear winner in build quality and sound quality from what I have heard so far from listening to the unit for a few hours.

UPDATE-Got the Parasound, sounded great with SACD, then I went to use it as a DVD player and ran into a HUGE problem.

I am using a McIntosh MX132 processor, after playing a DVD for 20+ minutes the sound starts to screatch, pop and stutter in and out of DD or DTS mode. I initially thought that perhaps it was getting hot, so I put a fan back there and that didn't cure the problem. Switched to different Coax and toslink cables, Nothing. I then plugged in various cd, dvd and sacd players to the same digital inputs and had NO problems. I currently have a Tivo unit, dvd player, digital cable, etc....hooked up to the Mc with NO issues.

(btw, NO issue with playing anything using analog inputs)

Sent the unit to Parasound and they said it is fine. Had Mc dealer check out my processor and I updated firmware, same problem.

It bums me out because this player was a perfect player for what I was looking for. Oh well, it has gone back to Audio Advisor and it looks like I will trade it for a new Pioneer BluRay player and be without DVD-A and SACD for now.
post #118 of 159 Old 09-04-2008, 07:41 AM

How about Marantz SA8001(SA8003) and SA15S1?
I saw a review said the sound of sa15s1 and sa8001 is same. I don't think it's possible, cause one is 30lbs, the other is 17lbs.
post #119 of 159 Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:

They do sound pretty good but that is due to some special and careful processes used in their creation. They are, and must be, 16bit when they get to you.

I think the confusion may lie in the differences between the bit depth recorded and the bit depth delivered. Music may well have been recorded at 24 bits but, as you say, it will be 16 bit red book on the CD you buy. I think the marketing people probably tout the recorded bit depth in a confusing manner and they probably do it on purpose.

The advantage of recording with a higher bit depth is added dynamic range. But you won't hear any of that advantage after it is mastered for red book. In fact, pop music today is so limited, gated and compressed you won't even achieve anywhere near the dynamic range that 16 bits can provide.
post #120 of 159 Old 09-04-2008, 09:18 AM

I am planning to buy a SACD<$1000, which one is better in audio?

Parasound D200

Parasound Helo D3

Marantz SA8001

or
Waiting for Marantz SA8003?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page