AVS Forum banner

Marantz TT-15S1 owner's thread

35K views 46 replies 24 participants last post by  Bobkiller179 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I picked up one of these turntables and have not found an offical owner's thread in this forum. This is a great tuntable but not without its problems. I was hoping to open a posting area for user tweaks, technical issues, reviews, etc.

Let me begin with my own issue for anybody to coment on.

Initially I found the sound to be rather dull--I got a digital tracking force gage and set it to the specified 2.2g (with the guestimate provided in the user manual insturctions it came to 1.73 g). This improved the sound tremendously adn gave the top end the sparkle I had expected.

The problem is that after playing it now for 5 min soundiing fantastic it starts to distort terribly and sound terrible. It is not the preamp--I have isolated it to the table itself (and I presume the cartridge). Has anybody else had this problem?

My setup is a belles tube preamp, parasound c1, focal 1027 be speakers, and a sunfire 400x5 power amp in case it would matter to anybody has any ideas.

otherwise--what preamps and setups are you all using this with? any favorite albums? comments on performance?

I hope this thread serves to help other owners and audiophiles considering purchasing this table.

See less See more
#2 ·
Denophile:

I just got a Marantz TT-15S1 yesterday. I checked AVS Forum here to ask my own question. But first let me reply to yours.

I have a Musical Fidelity A308 integrated amp, and Revel Performa M20 speakers. I am using the phono pre-amp built into my amp.

So far, I have found the sound from this combination to be quite nice. I have not observed the sound becoming horribly distorted, except in one case, if I set the cartridge force too high, on the inner track of an LP near the end, it can distort on really loud parts. I reduced the tracking a bit and it got better.

From your description it sounds as though some aspect of your tonearm alignment, tracking force, etc, is not "locked down" so to speak, and is slipping. Could it be when you installed the tone-arm assembly into the base of the turntable you didn't tighten it and the entire assembly is sinking into the base slightly? Just a random guess mind you, but I agree your problem doesn't sound like it is the pre-amp or any other part of the system.

Now, two questions of my own:

1. The stylus / cantilever coming out of the cartridge on my system appears to "bend" a bit toward the inside of the LP as it sits installed on the system. I am not familiar with this cartridge but from pictures, and experience with other phono cartridges, I'ld have thought it would extend straight out. Has anyone else noticed this issue?

2. Any time I try to install the anti-skate screw, even with it screwed all the way out to provide absolutely minimal anti-skate adjustment, it occasionally causes the tone-arm to swing back out and even scratch my record a bit. This is disturbing. If I remove the anti-skate it seems to work fine. As I understand it, when the Anti-skate is set correctly, you should get a nice centerred image. In my case, w/o the screw installed, images are spot on, Sound is great, Any other experience with this? Are some LPs more in need of this than others, etc?

Thanks for any help.

#3 ·
I had issues with my tone arm on the Marantz TT-15S1 model. I sent the entire unit back to the dealer and was told it was a manufacturer defect with the tone arm. I was shipped a new TT.

Is your tone arm wood? I was sure my original tone arm was made of wood. Now that I've had a chance to look, the replacement TT's tone arm appears to be aluminum.

My original cartridge was a virtuoso ebony (all black in color) and now it is black and silver wood.?

My motor started running in reverse occasionally and I just replaced it through the dealer 2 days ago. The replacement motor seems to run a little slow now.

I obviously will need to address this with the dealer. Has anyone else had issues.

#5 ·
I bought my TT15S1 a year ago. After listening to it for sometime, I realized the channels were out of phase. I rechecked the cartridge connections and they were as the manual showed. So on a hunch, I reversed the wires on one channel. And sure enough, the sound was full, with proper soundstage.

So Denophile, the dull sound you had might be for the same reason, the internal wire connection in the tonearm might be out of phase.

#44 ·
I bought my TT15S1 a year ago. After listening to it for sometime, I realized the channels were out of phase. I rechecked the cartridge connections and they were as the manual showed. So on a hunch, I reversed the wires on one channel. And sure enough, the sound was full, with proper soundstage.

So Denophile, the dull sound you had might be for the same reason, the internal wire connection in the tonearm might be out of phase.
Sorry to quote an ancient post, but I just bought a TT-15S1 and ran into the exact same issue!

#6 ·
I purchased a TT-15s1 just a few days ago and I seem to be having some of the same problems as some of you. First my tonearm seems to be made of black wood and the cartridge appears to be the black ebony Virtuoso. I purchased this in Dec. 2012. When I read the description it said it came with an aluminum arm and an ebony and wood cartridge. Perhaps mine and some of yours is an older model? I had the problem where the tonearm swings to the right but was able to fix this by practically removing the anti-skate screw however when I raise and lower the tonearm using the Q leaver the tonearm shifts ever so slightly to the right. It shifts slightly right when I lower and again when I raise. I find this to be a real nuisance because I can't lower the arm to the same location where I lifted it. Are any of you having this problem? Also none of the parts seem to fit properly. The white screws do not fit into the pulley and the cartridge doesn't fit into the litz wire plugs. I had to take a small pair of cuticle scissors and gently widen the plugs and then take an old cartridge and use it's prongs to make it fit.

#7 ·
I've had my table for about 4 months now. I love the way it sounds and looks. However, I can relate a similar experience with the tone-arm and needle position moving when you raise and lower it the lever. If anyone finds any solutions to this problem, please post them here!

#8 ·
I just received my TT15 yesterday and also noticed that the tonearm moves to the right when using the cueing lever. I'm thinking that something with a little friction placed on the cueing arm should stop it. I'm going to see what I have around, maybe some velcro or just a tiny strip of rubber.

Edit - I found a old leather skin for my iphone that would be perfect cut to the shape of the tonearm lifter, I'll try it this weekend and update.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23029926

Sounds like your anti-skate is set incorrectly.

It was just the whole cueing assembly was a little tilted, all better now. I'm still having some issues with the cueing lever sticking sometimes, I hope that irons itself out. It seems the silicone grease they pack it with inside has gotten a little sticky over time. I'd dis-assemble it and repack it but it's under warranty so I'll wait and see.

So far I really like this TT, I'm using a Grado Sonata with it and it's very detailed, almost to the point of sounding a little dry compared to my Music Hall MMF-7 but what sold me was listening to a cut and when it faded out and went into the lead out groove, it was dead silent. I think my Music Hall had a more euphoric sound to it, where the Marantz seems to be more neutral. It does run a few tenths fast so I'm hoping once the belt stretches a bit that it will slow down. That might be contribute to the dryness I'm hearing.

The big question is, will curiosity get the best of me and make me open up that still sealed Virtuoso cartridge.
I was hoping to sell it but I have that little evil half telling me, what if it's better than the Grado?

#11 ·
I bought a TT15 second hand and got it setup this morning it sounds awful

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23777640

Are you using the Virtuoso or did it come with another cartridge? Maybe the stylus is worn out? Is it setup correctly, VTF, VTA, alignment?

Yes it came with t he org Virtuoso I have a force stylus gauge on the way thats the only thing that could be wrong except the stylus wore out , The rest of the setup was

pretty easy put the counter weight and felt to set height and moved the cart all the way forward and made sure the arm was straight. I will have the gauge in the morning

and I will try that I also have some stylus cleaner coming .

#14 ·
"moved the cart all the way forward and made sure the arm was straight."

So you havent aligned the cartridge with gauges/protractors, but just slid it all the way forward? This would explain it sounding like ass. The geometry must be properly set on a turntable for the stylus to properly track the record over its entire surface.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23783091

"moved the cart all the way forward and made sure the arm was straight."

So you havent aligned the cartridge with gauges/protractors, but just slid it all the way forward? This would explain it sounding like ass. The geometry must be properly set on a turntable for the stylus to properly track the record over its entire surface.

The manual said if using the included cartridge mount the cartridge all the way forward its already factored in there , and if using a different cartridge make sure its 32mm .

I got my Force Stylus Gauge and made sure it read 2.2 grams so that part is correct

As far as the arm being straight all I could do is eye it like the manual said , if there is a better way please explain

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23786183

What kind of phono preamp are you using?

For now the one in my Denon X4000 I know its not the best and plan on getting one but it still should sound okay

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23789815

The only thing I can think of is there was an issue with a few tonearm with the anti-skate magnets being installed backwards. What happens if you back out the anti-skate adjustment all the way?

The guy I bought it from seems pretty honest and claims the TT worked fine when it left , we agreed on a small refund so now I'm on hold trying to decide what to do

My options are to have it retiped by soundsmith for 250.00 plus shipping or use it for a trade in

on a Clearaudio Virtuoso v2 Ebony 900.00 cart - which will cost me 540.00 after trade in .

Or I can buy a Soundsmith Otello new for 280.00

I also thought about sending the cart into soundsmith to have it looked at but then Im out 75.00 plus shipping

At this point I'm into the TT for under 700.00 with a bad cart

#20 ·
#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_23793755

I never used the Virtuoso on mine, I sold it right away to recoup some of the cost of the TT and I had I Grado Sonata that I really like and can highly recommend on this TT.

I would checkout the nine cartridge survey over on Analog Planet if you already haven't. It's pretty enlightening.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridge-survey-produces-audible-results

And the results:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/nine-cartridges-compared-reviewed-and-voting-results

I ended up just ordering a Soundsmith Otello it will be here in the morning

#22 ·
I just purchased a Marantz tt-15s1 with the Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm.

Setup went fairly well, with the exception of two issues.

Namely, I can not get the grounding cable to stay connected to the bottom of the spindle bearing housing. It has a little slot for it, in which I insert the plug. I push as hard as humanly possible, and it just falls out again. I finally, wrapped it around the housing a few time, which provides enough torque for it to stay in place. But if the table is jostled at all it will fall out? Any Ideas?

Secondly,

When I lower the queuing lever the tonearm shifts slightly to the right. Do any of you with this tonearm know how to adjust the platform for the queuing lever to prevent this? There is a set screw on the front, but it does not seem to want to turn.

Cheers! Thanks for the help.

#23 ·
My belt just snapped. Anyone know where to get one?

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCid79  /t/1039157/marantz-tt-15s1-owners-thread#post_24117687

I just purchased a Marantz tt-15s1 with the Clearaudio Satisfy tonearm.

Setup went fairly well, with the exception of two issues.

Namely, I can not get the grounding cable to stay connected to the bottom of the spindle bearing housing. It has a little slot for it, in which I insert the plug. I push as hard as humanly possible, and it just falls out again. I finally, wrapped it around the housing a few time, which provides enough torque for it to stay in place. But if the table is jostled at all it will fall out? Any Ideas?

Secondly,

When I lower the queuing lever the tonearm shifts slightly to the right. Do any of you with this tonearm know how to adjust the platform for the queuing lever to prevent this? There is a set screw on the front, but it does not seem to want to turn.

Cheers! Thanks for the help.

I know I'm bumping this old post but I'm having the same problem with my new TT-15S1. The arm moves slightly when I lower it. I haven't finished dialing in the table but I'm hoping it's one of three things. The magnetic anti skating throws it off a little, the bar on the cueing platform is not perfectly flat or the table is not perfectly level. Anyone else have any ideas?

The design of the ground plug is amazingly stupid, IMO. There should be a small screw to hold it. As it is, I used a pair of non marring needle nose pliers to jam it in a little. Seems to work.

#47 ·
I know I'm bumping this old post but I'm having the same problem with my new TT-15S1. The arm moves slightly when I lower it. I haven't finished dialing in the table but I'm hoping it's one of three things. The magnetic anti skating throws it off a little, the bar on the cueing platform is not perfectly flat or the table is not perfectly level. Anyone else have any ideas?

The design of the ground plug is amazingly stupid, IMO. There should be a small screw to hold it. As it is, I used a pair of non marring needle nose pliers to jam it in a little. Seems to work.
Hi,
I had the same problem with the arm wandering when lowering it, it’s the anti skate. The magnet is quite strong and my stylus was moving to the side from the force of it. Back off the anti skate, it might take a few tries but eventually it will lower just fine.
Good luck

#26 ·
I just picked up a TT-15S1 of my own this week. I had found this thread after I purchased it and got a little worried, but luckily for me everything is perfect and sounds amazing.

My arm lowers straight down, I think if it isn't falling level it is probably because the turntable isn't level.

Does anyone know how long the stylus in the included cartridge lasts? I read that you cannot replace the stylus on it and am not exactly excited about having to replace a $900 part often (?).

#27 ·
I've read all sorts of answers to this question and I would say the average is 2000 hours but that depends on the condition of your records and how may "Oh $#@%" moments happen. You can have it retipped by SoundSmith for $200-300 at that point and many consider it an upgrade over the factory. There is also a thread I think at the Vinyl Asylum about using a stylus from a Audio Technica cartridge and transplanting it over.