AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

Oppo is a good choice too.

They're DVD players, but they're a great choice: SACD and almost every other form of CD support you can think of plus a great DVD player at a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 197 Old 10-02-2008, 11:08 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scientest View Post

They're DVD players, but they're a great choice: SACD and almost every other form of CD support you can think of plus a great DVD player at a reasonable price.

wow, I actually already have an Oppo 981 that I use to play DVDs. I was under the impression that it would not be optimal for using in a music system of this caliber. Since investing all this $$ into the speakers/amp so far I thought it best to get a good quality dedicated cd player. I'm sure the Oppo would get me by, but do you think I will get the same results as if I went for something like the Rotel or Arcam?
post #183 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
fwiw, i'm perfectly content with the oppo 980 for cd/sacd usage...

and yes, i think you'll get the same results... as a matter of fact, i'd be shocked if you didn't...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #184 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 07:41 AM

I know this is splitting hairs a little bit, but the 980 is generally considered "better" than the 981 in terms of audio.

Differences (taken straight off the www.oppodigital.com website):

980 Audio Features not on the 981
- Direct Stream Digital (DSD) over HDMI (Requires compatible A/V receiver)
- Individual analog 7.1-channel surround outputs, compatible with 5.1-channel and down-mixed stereo [981 only has 5.1 compatibility]
- Dolby Digital Surround EX decoding
- Built-in lip sync (audio delay) function

981 Audio Features not on the 980
- 3D Surround (Virtual Surround): Concert, Live, Dance, Techno, Classic, Soft

There may be other slight differences as well, beyond the fact that the 981 has superior video processing compared to the 980.

I'm not sure if any of these functionalities will affect the performance of your system specifically, but I thought the differences were worth pointing out.
post #185 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
good point...

and though it's not germane to the discussion, the 980 will put out a solid 480i stream via hdmi if you are using an external video processor...

your post and the above video point is why i went with the 980 over the other models... i had a pio 59avi before this...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #186 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIgOaT View Post

I'm sure the Oppo would get me by, but do you think I will get the same results as if I went for something like the Rotel or Arcam?

Well other than various features and decoding capabilities, yes. The sound will be essentially identical if you're looking at a 1 to 1 comparison: eg CD stereo vs. CD stereo.

Of course, the other approach is to get the CD player out of the equation altogether and use a streaming source such as a Sonos or Squeezbox/Transporter (which come complete with "audiophile" street cred)....
post #187 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

wow, I actually already have an Oppo 981 that I use to play DVDs. I was under the impression that it would not be optimal for using in a music system of this caliber.

You seem to have internalized a bunch of 'audiophile' mythology.

I would suggest you keep your current gear, and look into some room treatment to tame those 'bright' loudspeakers. That will make far, far more audible difference than switching DVD or CD players. The other change that's most likely to make a real difference, is using different loudspeakers.

Quote:

Since investing all this $$ into the speakers/amp so far I thought it best to get a good quality dedicated cd player. I'm sure the Oppo would get me by, but do you think I will get the same results as if I went for something like the Rotel or Arcam?

Yes. 'Better' results, actually, if you factor in that you can play more different kinds of media and formats on the Oppo than on those other two.
post #188 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

... I was under the impression that it would not be optimal for using in a music system of this caliber. Since investing all this $$ into the speakers/amp so far I thought it best to get a good quality dedicated cd player...

There are many who would disagree with the sentiments of the last few of posters. They would insist that good, dedicated cd players can and do make a real difference, or, spending hundreds of dollars on modifications to an Oppo dvd player, or to other dvd/cd players, would significantly improve the audio quality. They would laugh at the notion that there is little to no sound difference between players of $200 vs. $2000, etc.

I happen to agree with the the former group. That is, there is no significant difference among properly functioning players, regardless of price. In my opinion, their reasoning and evidence is much more sound than those who believe there are audible differences. I only mention the other viewpoint because this remains a contentious subject and maybe you should be aware of that. With that said, I don't think it's a debate of the "each side makes a good case" equality at all, despite the sincere passion of those who view this subject differently.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #189 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 AM

Well, lots to chew on here. I actually have not yet pulled the trigger on the speakers yet but was trying to make sure I had all the other ancillary gear selected first (cdp/cables) to ensure I had good overall combo picked out. After reading you guys comments, I think I will definitely hold off on splurging on a cdp and wait until I can try out the Oppo for a while. Maybe I can put the money towards a squeezebox instead. This is very helpful and yall just saved me some hard earned dough, so thanks!
post #190 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:

yall just saved me some hard earned dough, so thanks!

The good thing about acoustic treatment is that it's not subjected to format changes or trend. It's practically a one time purchase and it works as designed.
post #191 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post

With that said, I don't think it's a debate of the "each side makes a good case" equality at all, despite the sincere passion of those who view this subject differently.

I agree. Those who think that expensive CD players offer a real performance advantage have never been able to offer anything but anecdotal evidence, while the lack of difference is supported by extensive testing under controlled conditions.
post #192 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Liked: 13
Okay - here's my anecdotal evidence. I heard differences between my Pioneer Elite PD-65 onboard DACs and those in my Nakamichi CA-1 Pre/Pro. Now, that was 10 years ago, and the Pioneer Legato Link (undefeatable back then) probably added to the sonic signature of the onboard DACs.

What was almost unlistenable (notably female vocals at full bore) through the PD-65 thru a passive preamp, became exhilirating thru the CA-1 once I sent the digital signal there.

As for now with today's technology? I'm not too sure - I haven't been shopping around for a CDP, but did purchase a used Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J since I've got a modest SACD collection. I didn't audition any other CDP's either. It was the right price, right capability, and right timing to get. Would I spend more down the road? Maybe. But I also recognize the physical media format is aging. Slim Devices may be the way to go...
post #193 of 197 Old 10-03-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Okay - here's my anecdotal evidence. I heard differences between my Pioneer Elite PD-65 onboard DACs and those in my Nakamichi CA-1 Pre/Pro. Now, that was 10 years ago, and the Pioneer Legato Link (undefeatable back then) probably added to the sonic signature of the onboard DACs.

There is a use for anecdotal evidence. Problem is when it gets misused, just like everything else.
post #194 of 197 Old 10-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekhd View Post

There is a use for anecdotal evidence. Problem is when it gets misused, just like everything else.

Very true. I only mention what I heard way back when (man, am I gettin' old? ).

I think I may have difficulty discerning differences between two of today's CDP's within reasonable price ranges.
post #195 of 197 Old 10-06-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

If you want a warmer sound, I suggest a Panasonic DVD player and a Bunsen burner.

You mean you put the Bunsen burner in front of the speakers for that warmer sound?
post #196 of 197 Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will look into that. How about the more mainstream brands, Arcam, NAD, Rotel, or any others I've not heard of?

If their frequency response specs indicate flat, well, they will certainly not be on the warm side
post #197 of 197 Old 10-06-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post

Very true. I only mention what I heard way back when (man, am I gettin' old? ).

I think I may have difficulty discerning differences between two of today's CDP's within reasonable price ranges.

Or, you may not have heard a difference in that older setup when properly compared, levels matched and DBT protocols used
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page