"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoss View Post

Hi Diginote!

Is there a VNC client available for the Archos 5? Or do you have to use the Rondo web interface to control an Olive? I can't seem to find a consensus of opinion on-line.

I'm almost ready to buy one......

Thanks again, Ed

Hi Ed,

As far as I know, there is no VNC client application for the Archos, although it is Linux-based.

So if you want to use the Archos as a smart remote control, you have to contend with the Rondo Web interface. The Archos definitely works better than a Nokia tablet with Rondo, but it does not overcome the inherent flaws of Rondo (sluggish and prone ot occasionally freezing). It's OK for basic navigation and playback control. In my experience, a VNC client (I tried Tight VNC on a laptop) is much more responsive.

Of course, if you use the Archos for streaming music from an Opus, you control the music with the Archos interface and response is quick. BTW, I also tried streaming from a uPnP-enabled NAS disk, and that works very well.

Hope that helps. Please note that I use an "old" Opus, similar to Opus 5. I have no idea whether or not the Opus 4 can be VNC-enabled.

MG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the info. I also have an older Opus - a Musica. I'm kinda torn between the Nokia N810 and the Archos 5. The main job of whatever I choose will be to control the Olive, but both offer other features that are appealing for future use. Here are the pros & cons as I see them, maybe you (or others) can chime in with something I'm missing.

Nokia N810:
VNC capable.
Slightly less expensive.
GPS capable.
No FLAC support.
Limited storage.

Archos 5:
No VNC support. (I really like controlling my Olive with VNC.)
Price has come WAY down, about $280 shipped from Amazon.
No GPS support.
Plays FLAC files natively, and all my music is ripped in FLAC.
Lots of storage.
Better display, from what I have read.

On the surface, it would seem the Archos is a no-brainer, and would be with VNC support, but I have to decide to live with Rondo, and that's a tough decision.

Anyone else have an opinion? Am I missing some facts in my search?

Thanks a lot, Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGINOTE View Post

Hi Ed,

As far as I know, there is no VNC client application for the Archos, although it is Linux-based.

So if you want to use the Archos as a smart remote control, you have to contend with the Rondo Web interface. The Archos definitely works better than a Nokia tablet with Rondo, but it does not overcome the inherent flaws of Rondo (sluggish and prone ot occasionally freezing). It's OK for basic navigation and playback control. In my experience, a VNC client (I tried Tight VNC on a laptop) is much more responsive.

Of course, if you use the Archos for streaming music from an Opus, you control the music with the Archos interface and response is quick. BTW, I also tried streaming from a uPnP-enabled NAS disk, and that works very well.

Hope that helps. Please note that I use an "old" Opus, similar to Opus 5. I have no idea whether or not the Opus 4 can be VNC-enabled.

MG

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I also have an older Opus - a Musica. I'm kinda torn between the Nokia N810 and the Archos 5. The main job of whatever I choose will be to control the Olive, but both offer other features that are appealing for future use. Here are the pros & cons as I see them, maybe you (or others) can chime in with something I'm missing.

Nokia N810:
VNC capable.
Slightly less expensive.
GPS capable.
No FLAC support.
Limited storage.

Archos 5:
No VNC support. (I really like controlling my Olive with VNC.)
Price has come WAY down, about $280 shipped from Amazon.
No GPS support.
Plays FLAC files natively, and all my music is ripped in FLAC.
Lots of storage.
Better display, from what I have read.

On the surface, it would seem the Archos is a no-brainer, and would be with VNC support, but I have to decide to live with Rondo, and that's a tough decision.

Anyone else have an opinion? Am I missing some facts in my search?

Thanks a lot, Ed

Just a heads up that I've read several articles indicating that Nokia will be coming out with a new tablet. I was able to get FLAC to work on my N800, but it was a PITA. I've since sold my N800 and bought an iTouch. I use my laptop to control the Opus 4, but the interface is still a work in progress.

Also, has anyone tried controlling the older (Musica vintage) Rondo interface with an iPhone or iTouch?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:29 AM

Well, it seems that they have their own Forum too!

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...ighlight=vnsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbrett View Post

Also, has anyone tried controlling the older (Musica vintage) Rondo interface with an iPhone or iTouch?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 05-30-2009, 05:30 AM

Sorry, Z. I thought you were after a VNC client for the Touch. Can't you use Rondo with Safari on the Touch?

- Robert McCloskey
Old 05-30-2009, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, Z. I thought you were after a VNC client for the Touch. Can't you use Rondo with Safari on the Touch?

Yup, just to be clear, VNC doesn't work with the new Opus 4, only the previous generation. I was suggesting that you might want to give it a shot (iTouch, iPhone -> VNC -> Musica). Definitely a new iPhone/iTouch OS coming out soon, and perhaps some new 3rd generation hardware too.

I can use Safari with Maestro, and Rondo, but Maestro isn't really formatted to work on a small screen, and Rondo is still "beta" and needs work. At this time I don't think I'd make an investment in any mobile/tablet type device for controlling the Opus 4 unless I was going to use it for something else as well (I'm getting a lot of good use out of my iTouch). I'd wait until more developmental work is done on the software for controlling the Opus with a mobile or small tablet device.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Just another reason to keep my old, reliable Musica. What's up with Olive? Don't they get it? I guess they're just interested in new sales to people who don't realize how good the 4 COULD be. Just my .02

Quote:

Yup, just to be clear, VNC doesn't work with the new Opus 4, only the previous generation.

- Robert McCloskey
Old 05-30-2009, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just another reason to keep my old, reliable Musica. What's up with Olive? Don't they get it? I guess they're just interested in new sales to people who don't realize how good the 4 COULD be. Just my .02

I believe they are working on it...
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM

Let me know when they have a 4 that will have all the features that I use daily on my "obsolete" Musica:

Allow random mode in Library, Genre, and Artist mode.
Allow volume adjustment by track, album, or artist.
Allow use with a VNC client.

Then I'll buy a 1TB 4 in a heartbeat.

Quote:

I believe they are working on it...

- Robert McCloskey
Old 05-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi folks, maybe a though question that I have...

I always thought that a cd-player is inferior as a transport than a hard disk as the olive uses. But in fact, listening to a cd in my modest Marantz 7001 KI doesn't really sound worse than the same (ripped) cd in the Opus. How about this?
I find it rather amazing. I must add that i use the analog output here, so no external DAC is involved.
Are my ears telling the thruth?

I'm curious about your findings in this matter.

Marc
Old 06-01-2009, 04:42 AM

Marc-

It's quite possible that the rest of your system is not quite up to revealing the differences between the two, or there is no difference. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Keep in mind that the people who make such pronouncements are usually using mega-mega-buck systems, and are professional listeners. I don't mean that to disparage them in any way, but people who listen to music to evaluate Hi-fi gear listen differently than people who simply like to hear music. I have experience in both fields, and could explain my thoughts on this matter in further depth - but I won't boor you to tears. :-) If you wish to test your original theory you would need a high quality transport and the Olive run through the same DAC. The DAC chosen should have the ability to switch quickly between the inputs. A nice, quiet listening environment, a couple of hours with nothing else to do, some music you are very familiar with, and even then you might not hear any difference. I believe the differences spoken of are so subtle that they probably can be heard in real-world conditions by very few.

BTW, your ears always tell you the truth. :-)

Cheers, Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Hi folks, maybe a though question that I have...

I always thought that a cd-player is inferior as a transport than a hard disk as the olive uses. But in fact, listening to a cd in my modest Marantz 7001 KI doesn't really sound worse than the same (ripped) cd in the Opus. How about this?
I find it rather amazing. I must add that i use the analog output here, so no external DAC is involved.
Are my ears telling the thruth?

I'm curious about your findings in this matter.

Marc

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Hello all. After reading through this (and the old) forum for the past several days, I finally took the plunge and am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 1 TB Opus 4. A few points regarding bugs/problems/wishlist items I believe I've gleaned but wish to confirm:
1. There is still no way to shuffle by genre, a practical workaround being to create a playlist.
2. There is no automatic volume leveling between files, i.e., so that all of your shuffled music would play at approximately the same volume.
3. The Rondo interface is still beta and (going by consensus) remains somewhat unsatisfactory for controlling the opus remotely via pc or some handheld device/remote with web interface. (to be honest, I still am unclear on the difference between Rondo and Maestro but imagine I'll see soon.)
4. A complete, hierarchical backup is (or is not?) possible through the opus usb port so long as the hard drive is set up with a named folder prior to backup.

A few other questions:
1. I've read and understand the rationale behind the advice to rip to computer first and import to the opus. However, one of the main reasons I decided on the opus over some kind of self-cobbled server solution was precisely the ability to keep my music and computing worlds discrete (or as discrete as possible--I recognize I'll need to use a pc for editing, etc.). When ripping directly to the opus, is the disc recognition/metadata limited to the opus database or is the machine able to "go out" and fetch the info through the internet connection? For those that do it this route, what's the success rate and how much control over the process do you have?
2. When ripping directly, does the opus give an indication of its success or must one listen through the album entirely to check for errors?
3. Can one play by album randomly? Meaning it would randomly select an album, play it in its entirety, then select another. My guess is no, but it would be nice.
4. Any consensus on an external remote? I've heard Nokia and Harmony, as well as Iphone/Itouch, mentioned. The Olive site itself touts the Iphone/touch as a solution. Someone (Zbrett, I think) seemed less than enthusiastic about this--I suppose my question specifically is, why? I'd like to have something to control the unit from my kitchen or bedroom for simple playback, not editing or managing in any way.

That's all for now, though I'm sure I'll have more. Looking forward to my Opus and contributing to the forum after lurking so long. Thanks for the help, both already given and to come.
Derek

Oh, one final question: after hearing about all the delays in shipment, I contacted Olive myself and was told the unit should be ready Friday (tomorrow) or Monday. Should I hold my breath?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Forgot: One of the things I'm excited about is actively "rediscovering" all my music collection by listening to each Cd through the ripping process. Has anyone gone this route, or am I being misled by the "listen to music while you rip" claim? Perhaps this means listen to music already on the drive as you rip? If not, and anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it as I decide just how I attack my collection
Old 06-05-2009, 04:35 AM

Hi, and welcome!

You can listen to any music from the Opus while you rip, or you can listen to the CD you are ripping. Of course, that would increase the time it takes to rip a CD from about 15-20 minutes (in FLAC format) to the actual playing time of the CD. But, if you're not in a hurry.... :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmolitor View Post

Forgot: One of the things I'm excited about is actively "rediscovering" all my music collection by listening to each Cd through the ripping process. Has anyone gone this route, or am I being misled by the "listen to music while you rip" claim? Perhaps this means listen to music already on the drive as you rip? If not, and anyone has any feedback, I'd appreciate it as I decide just how I attack my collection

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-05-2009, 04:50 AM

Some answers, as far as I know. Other current 4 users may chime in to correct me, as I still use an older Olive:

1. The Opus will search the internet for CD descriptions not contained in its database, provide it is connected to the internet, of course. Most of the chaps on this forum prefer ripping outside the Opus to have the ability to edit the CD's metadata before importing to the Opus, where that process is more time-consuming.

2. No success report is generated, but I have found that you can usually sense any kind of problem if the Opus takes longer than normal to read a CD. If you have a damaged CD, or are using a copy on questionable media, the Opus might have trouble reading it, and will take a long time, or stall completely. Another advantage to ripping outside the Opus, IMHO.

3. As far as I know, you can't Random by anything other than within an album. Here's what Z - our knower of all things Olive :-) - had to say recently:
"I was able to get it to shuffle by artist. Highlight artist and hit play. There is a glitch where you get the circling processing icon until you hit track, but once you hit track, and pick shuffle, it shuffles by artist without issue. The navigation structure remains Genre -> sub-Genre -> Album (not tracks) so while you can now use the shuffle mode in Genre's, shuffle only works at the Album level under Genre. Shuffling by tracks doesn't seem to work either. It only shuffles from within the same album of the track you selected."

4. There are as many solutions for an external remote as there are members, I think. :-) I use my laptop, others use a Nokia or some other internet-capable device. Until the Opus 4 gets VNC support, there really is no good solution, IMHO.

Good luck with your Olive!

Quote:

Hello all. After reading through this (and the old) forum for the past several days, I finally took the plunge and am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 1 TB Opus 4.
A few other questions:
1. I've read and understand the rationale behind the advice to rip to computer first and import to the opus. However, one of the main reasons I decided on the opus over some kind of self-cobbled server solution was precisely the ability to keep my music and computing worlds discrete (or as discrete as possible--I recognize I'll need to use a pc for editing, etc.). When ripping directly to the opus, is the disc recognition/metadata limited to the opus database or is the machine able to "go out" and fetch the info through the internet connection? For those that do it this route, what's the success rate and how much control over the process do you have?
2. When ripping directly, does the opus give an indication of its success or must one listen through the album entirely to check for errors?
3. Can one play by album randomly? Meaning it would randomly select an album, play it in its entirety, then select another. My guess is no, but it would be nice.
4. Any consensus on an external remote? I've heard Nokia and Harmony, as well as Iphone/Itouch, mentioned. The Olive site itself touts the Iphone/touch as a solution. Someone (Zbrett, I think) seemed less than enthusiastic about this--I suppose my question specifically is, why? I'd like to have something to control the unit from my kitchen or bedroom for simple playback, not editing or managing in any way.

That's all for now, though I'm sure I'll have more. Looking forward to my Opus and contributing to the forum after lurking so long. Thanks for the help, both already given and to come.
Derek

Oh, one final question: after hearing about all the delays in shipment, I contacted Olive myself and was told the unit should be ready Friday (tomorrow) or Monday. Should I hold my breath?

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-05-2009, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Save yourself a headache and rip to the computer, save it on an external hardrive and drop it in the Opus.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello all. After reading through this (and the old) forum for the past several days, I finally took the plunge and am now anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new 1 TB Opus 4. A few points regarding bugs/problems/wishlist items I believe I've gleaned but wish to confirm:
1. There is still no way to shuffle by genre, a practical workaround being to create a playlist.
2. There is no automatic volume leveling between files, i.e., so that all of your shuffled music would play at approximately the same volume.
3. The Rondo interface is still beta and (going by consensus) remains somewhat unsatisfactory for controlling the opus remotely via pc or some handheld device/remote with web interface. (to be honest, I still am unclear on the difference between Rondo and Maestro but imagine I'll see soon.)
4. A complete, hierarchical backup is (or is not?) possible through the opus usb port so long as the hard drive is set up with a named folder prior to backup.

A few other questions:

Derek

Welcome to the club...

* Playlists are the only good solution to shuffle by genre right now.
* Not following you on this one. Without volume leveling, some tracks are going to be louder than others.
* Rondo is still beta. But from what I understand, it will be production ready in some form at some point in the future.
* The backup is compressed and can be decompressed using 7-Zip. The folder structure is a bit odd, and from what I can tell, is different when importing versus ripping directly to the Opus.
* Neither the Nokia tablets or iTouch are a comprehensive remote solution for the Opus 4 at this time due to the beta nature of the Rondo interface, hence my suggestion to hold off buying a device specifically for this use until the PDA/Smartphone/Tablet interface (what ever it will end up being) has gone through more development. I can see an iPhone/iTouch as a good bet due to its popularity, but I can't make any guarantees.
* I do use a Harmony 550 remote with the Opus, and it works fine.
* Yes, it might be best if you hold your breath. Just in case.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Save yourself a headache and rip to the computer, save it on an external hardrive and drop it in the Opus.

Ditto. That way you have a usable backup on your PC as well...
Old 06-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi, and welcome!

[...] or you can listen to the CD you are ripping. Of course, that would increase the time it takes to rip a CD from about 15-20 minutes (in FLAC format) to the actual playing time of the CD. But, if you're not in a hurry.... :-)

That's new for me. Can you explain how you do this?
If I put a cd in the Opus, i can chose between Play and Import, but not both.

I was showing the Opus to a friend, and he (not me) was disappointed that it could not play & rip together.

Marc
Old 06-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ditto. That way you have a usable backup on your PC as well...

Don't agree. The Opus has the unique ability to take care for classical music.
Can you name any other rip software that has this ability, compatible to the Opus?

My collection consists of about 80% classical music. If I do it that way, can i make sure that I don'thave to edit the metadata on the Opus itself, rendering my 'backup' out-dated?

Until now I have used EAC sometimes, but I always had to finish the metadata on the Opus. Any better solution would be welcome!

Marc
Old 06-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Marc-

It's quite possible that the rest of your system is not quite up to revealing the differences between the two, or there is no difference. This is not necessarily a bad thing. Keep in mind that the people who make such pronouncements are usually using mega-mega-buck systems, and are professional listeners. I don't mean that to disparage them in any way, but people who listen to music to evaluate Hi-fi gear listen differently than people who simply like to hear music. I have experience in both fields, and could explain my thoughts on this matter in further depth - but I won't boor you to tears. :-) If you wish to test your original theory you would need a high quality transport and the Olive run through the same DAC. The DAC chosen should have the ability to switch quickly between the inputs. A nice, quiet listening environment, a couple of hours with nothing else to do, some music you are very familiar with, and even then you might not hear any difference. I believe the differences spoken of are so subtle that they probably can be heard in real-world conditions by very few.

BTW, your ears always tell you the truth. :-)

Cheers, Ed

Hi, I consider myself as someone with mega-mega buck systems, or at least I'm getting there. But my cd-player is not at this level, it's a modest Marantz 7001 KI. Because cd-players have real trouble to read cd's properly, I thought it wise to opt for a hard disk player as the Opus is, to get the most out of my cd's. The market for this kind of gear is rather limited still, and the Opus is not the most expensive in this narrow field.

Last week I was at a audiophile friend, who treats his cd's with a green marker, puts them in the fridge one night, sprays some spray on them, and demagnitizes them. We compared one untreated cd with the same fully treated cd, and the difference was striking! It was a difference between ugly and beaultiful.

I don't hear the same difference at home. I ripped the green cd and the original cd, and got exactly the same flac-files (which i expected). So, what the Opus has on his disk is as good as it gets.
Now we only need to get if off the disk, as good as it gets.

The internal DAC of the Opus is not very elaborate. Although the site tells me it can handle up to 96 KHz, it has trouble with 24 bit 96 KHz files (maybe 16 bit 96 KHz does the trick? I don't know).
If you put in another DAC, say the Cambridge DacMagic, the stage is much wider.

I guess that a real good DAC (Benchmark, Buffalo, April Music, Weiss) would make this difference much clearer.
And, to get at the heaven of music, this is the last step to take.

Now, when I compare the Opus with my marantz, I really compare apples and pears. The opus has a better transport, and the Marantz has a better DAC. The result is incomparable. They sound roughly equal.
So my starting point is rather useless, but i hoped to get some views about these matters from other Opus-users. Those that like to get the best.

To the point: is an external DAC really the only thing that matters in this regard: getting the most out of your cd's?

Marc
Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM

Oops. I didn't know you couldn't do that on a 4. Sorry. On my Musica, you navigate: SETTINGS & SPECIALS/IMPORT & BURN/CD BEHAVIOUR/PLAY WHILE IMPORTING/ON/OFF

I guess thta's another reason to keep my Musica. Bummer.

Quote:

That's new for me. Can you explain how you do this?
If I put a cd in the Opus, i can chose between Play and Import, but not both.

I was showing the Opus to a friend, and he (not me) was disappointed that it could not play & rip together.

Marc

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

It even shows a message that you can't play a cd you are ripping.
For me this is no problem. The sound quality of a played cd is much less than that of a ripped cd.

Marc
Old 06-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Marc - Simple answer -YES.

I believe the external DAC is the most important improvement you can make to an Olive product - even the expensive Opus 5 can be improved quite a bit in this regard. DAC technology has improved so much in even the last 2 years that most anything older than that can be bettered for much less money. Don't mis-read me here, I'm NOT saying that there aren't some truly outstanding older DAC products. I have owned the legendary dCS Elgar ($12,000!) and it is still truly wonderful. But, what I'm saying is you can now approach that level of CD palyback for MUCH less money, even under $1000 there are a couple of serious contenders, both new & used. One example:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...ries/vdac.html

The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is scary good, and can be had for abut $299. It has 2 switchable inputs, RCA/Optical or USB, and is small enough to fit in any system. I am currently using the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 tubed DAC, and it sounds fabulous no matter what I throw at it: CDs, The Olive, DATs, Digital Compact Cassettes or 24/96 PCM streams.

Cheers,
Ed

Quote:

To the point: is an external DAC really the only thing that matters in this regard: getting the most out of your cd's?
Marc

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Wait a minute! What are you saying? I thought you couldn't hear any difference in your system? Under what conditions do you hear a difference? What are you using to playback either format????

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

Quote:

For me this is no problem. The sound quality of a played CD is much less than that of a ripped CD.

Marc

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wait a minute! What are you saying? I thought you couldn't hear any difference in your system? Under what conditions do you hear a difference? What are you using to playback either format????

Inquiring minds want to know... :-)

1) The olive as a cd-player
2) The olive as a hd-player
3) My Marantz CD player

The difference between 2 and 3 are minimal. The difference is between 1 and 2 or 3. 1 is bearable, 2 and 3 are beatiful.
But most people here disagree.

Marc
Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Marc - Simple answer -YES.

I believe the external DAC is the most important improvement you can make to an Olive product - even the expensive Opus 5 can be improved quite a bit in this regard. DAC technology has improved so much in even the last 2 years that most anything older than that can be bettered for much less money. Don't mis-read me here, I'm NOT saying that there aren't some truly outstanding older DAC products. I have owned the legendary dCS Elgar ($12,000!) and it is still truly wonderful. But, what I'm saying is you can now approach that level of CD palyback for MUCH less money, even under $1000 there are a couple of serious contenders, both new & used. One example:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...ries/vdac.html

The Musical Fidelity V-DAC is scary good, and can be had for abut $450. It has 2 switchable inputs, RCA/Optical or USB, and is small enough to fit in any system. I am currently using the Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 tubed DAC, and it sounds fabulous no matter what I throw at it: CDs, The Olive, DATs, Digital Compact Cassettes or 24/96 PCM streams.

Cheers,
Ed

Nice to hear... Your DAC is one of 1300 and not in the market anymore.
The V-DAC has been reviewed and got almost as many points as my Cambridge DacMagic.
But the dacmagic has a very conventional outputstage with bad opamps and probably unused condensators; this makes it less than good.
Currently mine is being modified, and i hope it will reveal the effort.

If not, I'll try other DACs

Marc
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 AM

OK, now I get it. I used my Olive as a CD player once. Briefly. Very briefly. 'nuff said.

Quote:

1) The olive as a cd-player
2) The olive as a hd-player
3) My Marantz CD player

The difference between 2 and 3 are minimal. The difference is between 1 and 2 or 3. 1 is bearable, 2 and 3 are beatiful.
But most people here disagree.

Marc

- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-07-2009, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Being one who needs to try things for himself, I'll obstinately try ripping directly to the Opus first, as that's what I want to work--if I'm unhappy, I'll go PC. Bummer about the inability to play and rip simultaneously on the 4. I envisioned night after night after night of listening to all my forgotten and forsaken cds. Of course, I could still do that, but the ripping would have provided a helpful shove.

One more question about all these remotes: I've never used one of these universals with screens--is the appeal simply that you can control all of your components or can you actually bring up the Opus screen and navigate the same way you would there? I suppose I'll understand more once I see Maestro/Rondo. (still don't understand which does what).

Oh, and Olive called me Friday to let me know that though they had expected to ship that day, my unit was still being built and would go out Monday. I think this is good.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 AM

I see Olive hasn't changed their ways. I boggles the mind that they have to "build" each Opus they sell. They don't have any built & ready to go? They can't make a simple sale? Wow. What do they do all day? The company that makes one of the most unique, versatile, semi-affordable fun products in the audio world is the most frustrating to deal with that I've ever encountered. So sad.

On a cheerier note - Here's what I know about the interfaces, and someone is welcome to correct if I'm wrong.

Rondo: Web interface accessed by PC (or handheld) using a web browser. Handy for editing data and managing music files, but quite slow. The 4 can only be accessed this way, AFAIK.

Maestro: The actual screen interface of the Olive. Can be accessed on the older Olive models with a VNC client from a network capable device, like a Nokia 800 or 810, an iPod Touch, or similar device. Much faster access, but navigation is slower, in my experience.

Quote:

One more question about all these remotes: I've never used one of these universals with screens--is the appeal simply that you can control all of your components or can you actually bring up the Opus screen and navigate the same way you would there? I suppose I'll understand more once I see Maestro/Rondo. (still don't understand which does what).

Oh, and Olive called me Friday to let me know that though they had expected to ship that day, my unit was still being built and would go out Monday. I think this is good.

- Robert McCloskey