"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #2971 of 3147 Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I think that recovery is meant and not restore?
Anyway nice to know. A bit awkward if your Olive is stuck and you just have to rely on the recovery cd or stick.
If you can open the Olive you'ld better clone the hd beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Since yesterday my two Olives have no valid internet connection anymore.
They usually work with a fixed ip-address, plus gateway and dns-server, so I thought something was wrong with that. But my pc uses the same information,and has no problems.
I tried the automatic ip-address, but that did not help. The <--> sign in the right corner stays yellow.

But what is telling my Olives that there is a valid internetconnection?
I guess it has something to do with... Olive.
Maybe...
If I try http://www.olive.us on my pc, I get an empty window called "no title" mad.gif

confused.gif
post #2973 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

Now that the Olive website seems to be down, could someone provide a working link to download the recovery disc image.

Thanks!
post #2974 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Just got this answer from Olive:
Quote:
Hello Marc,

we are currently working on our server, but that has no influence on your internet connectivity with the Olive 4. You probably have some conflicts with your router and need to make sure that the Olive 4 gets full connectivity (sometimes the router has problems with communicating DMS correctly so you might wanna try to set up a manual network connection, instead of using DHCP).

Thanks

So, probably the recovery disks will be back soon. BUT, you'ld better download them all, save them in your local Olive map or whatever, and don't hope that Olive will make them available forever.

I really think thy miss the point about the internet connection, but, well, never mind. rolleyes.gif

Marc
post #2975 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Marc, you must be special! Olive actually responded to your email. I've tried numerous times only to be completely ignored. What's your secret :-)
post #2976 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

OliveOne...
I have now a vivid conversation with the OliveOne care team.
Nothing more special than that, alas.

The music here is.

Marc
post #2977 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I'm having the same problem. I can access my Olive using my pc and Firefox, but for some reason, the Olive cannot see the internet. I've reset everything twice. It's frustrating, but not unexpected. I pity anyone who has an Olive.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #2978 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

From my 'special' contact with Olive: this weekend the server will be up again.
When the server is down, your Olive will show unavailable internet, and no internetradio, and update.
(Not surprisingly, that one)
But of course you can still see the Olive from your browser. You can still rip cd's and see info from freedb.

Marc
post #2979 of 3147 Old 05-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

The Olive site is up again.

I have asked customer support (for Olive ONE) why the internet radio menu item is dependant of the existence of the Olive site. Never seen or even heard an Olive radio station wink.gif
Maybe there comes an answer, or an improvement, let's hope.

Marc
post #2980 of 3147 Old 05-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

This week the Olive site is flapping between states. Today it is more off than on. In this situation I could test a little change in ZCFGDB, a SQ-lite database in the data directory. It contains a string internettest, and the value starts with "olive.us"
I removed olive.us, and... there was internet again... not!
It did not help. Even rebooting the unit did not give the desired result.

So far my humble but failing effort to improve our lovely units.

Marc
post #2981 of 3147 Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM

Guys,

my O3HD worked flawlessly for over 2 years, but now it shows that despite the Ethernet connection working (<=> icon appears), there is no Internet connection (red colored <=> icon). I have resetted my router to factory configuration, rebooted and newly configured it, but the problem remains. The O3HD shows the following settings: 

• IP address: 192.168.2.109
  • Gateway: 192.168.2.1
  • DNS: 192.168.2.1
  • Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Is that the same problem you seem to have? What can I do?:confused:

Thanks for your help,

/Clemens

post #2982 of 3147 Old 05-24-2014, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, most likely. Something (but what?) in the software causes internetradio to be dependant of the olive site.

If you don't have internetradio and the olive site is up, you have a real problem.

Marc
post #2983 of 3147 Old 05-24-2014, 05:08 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Yes, most likely. Something (but what?) in the software causes internetradio to be dependant of the olive site.

If you don't have internetradio and the olive site is up, you have a real problem.

Marc

Just reading this thread. At this moment (07:08, 24 May), our internet radio is working and the Olive site is non responsive. This on an 06HD (wired connection).
post #2984 of 3147 Old 05-24-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks!

I have been browsing in the scripts a bit and I noticed many places where the code did something different for the 06HD.
Still don't see what to change to make internet radio permanent.

Marc
clpetersen likes this.
post #2985 of 3147 Old 05-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Ok. Now in evening, same day. At our summer home which has an Olive 03HD. Internet up but the Olive 03HD cannot see it as the Olive media site is down. Different behavior than the 06HD. Luckily the summer home is on the water because I need a boat anchor. What kind of useless software is this?
post #2986 of 3147 Old 05-25-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Thought, will have a look at the source in the browser... Brrr.
Can't find all those .js scripts on disk, and lack knowledge of Ajax. (I don't like football rolleyes.gif)

But luckily I have more time. The site will be down till Wednesday... eek.gif

Marc
post #2987 of 3147 Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

I got some workaround....
I was not really smart enough to find the place where my Olive looked for olive.us to check for the internet connection, but... I approached the problem in another way.

I added a line in the hosts file, to lure the Olive, and that worked. That is, internet radio is no problem anymore. Of course, updates from the Olive site won't work, but never mind. biggrin.gif

Of course this means you have to change a file in your Olive, and so, you must have the means to do that, and be brave enough. Don't blame me if things go wrong, do this on your own account.

For me, as a Linux guy, it meant getting the Olive files mapped on my pc with sshfs:
Code:
sshfs root@10.1.1.36:/ magweg
Here you have to change 10.1.1.36 in whatever your Olive has as ip-address. magweg is just an empty directory, which will be filled with the Olive content. O, if it asks for a password: tj270442

Now find the hosts file. It is in magweg/etc/hosts
Open it with your Linux editor. Add a line:
Code:
10.1.1.251  olive.us olive
Here change 10.1.1.251 into whatever ip-address your router has (maybe any other valid ip-address will do as well, didn't test that)

Save the new hosts file (I have renamed the original hosts file into hosts.org, and added a new hosts file with the extra line)

Refresh the Internet Info in Rondo or on the Olive, it will now show Available, and internet radio wiil be available again. You don't have to reboot.

Good luck!
For Olive 4 users this will suffice I think, but if you still expect updates from Olive via internet, you might have to redo this operation once the site is up again.

Marc
post #2988 of 3147 Old 05-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Wait a bit with this workaround. it is not permanent, the Olive will overwrite the hosts file in the following reboot/startup.

Marc
post #2989 of 3147 Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Trying to overcome the internet unavailable message for good, I did something wrong, and the Olive did not start up any more. I copied my backup to the right partition, and got it working again, albeit with version 4.1.7.
As usual in these cases, I clicked on update via internet, but the Olive refused, telling me "invalid url" or something similar. Mind you, with the "internet available".
Most likely something has changed in the Olive site, so that my Olive 4 can't find the updates any more. Checking the site by hand did not reveal any problem, though.

Now I have updated my Olive 4 with an USB-stick, but nevertheless...

Searching for places in the Olive source where it did something with the hosts file gave me several clues, but until now I could not do much with the information.
BTW, if someone is interested, throw me a pm. I am determined to fix this, if only for myself, but I will publish my solution if any one is interested.

Marc
post #2990 of 3147 Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post

Trying to overcome the internet unavailable message for good, I did something wrong, and the Olive did not start up any more. I copied my backup to the right partition, and got it working again, albeit with version 4.1.7.
As usual in these cases, I clicked on update via internet, but the Olive refused, telling me "invalid url" or something similar. Mind you, with the "internet available".
Most likely something has changed in the Olive site, so that my Olive 4 can't find the updates any more. Checking the site by hand did not reveal any problem, though.

Now I have updated my Olive 4 with an USB-stick, but nevertheless...

Searching for places in the Olive source where it did something with the hosts file gave me several clues, but until now I could not do much with the information.
BTW, if someone is interested, throw me a pm. I am determined to fix this, if only for myself, but I will publish my solution if any one is interested.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Quite interesting. In fact, our 06HD did fail to connect when the Olive site was down, no internet radio. So, I might have been lucky in my earlier post ( 3 days ago) when the site was apparently down and the 06 still managed the internet. Or perhaps the Olive site was quite fully dead. But the Olive site is back up and internet radio is again working. Very screwy software design. I am guessing they (Olive) thought they could somehow prevent 'cloners' from stealing their designs by forcing a check-in with the mother ship. Scant chance of this design being cloned.
post #2991 of 3147 Old 05-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks clpetersen. So, alas, the 06HD has no better way of checking for internet radio.
Last Monday, I changed the hosts file, and after refreshing the internetsettings, IR (internet radio) was there.
I always shut down my Olive at night. Next morning, Tuesday, after start up, IR was still there. But looking at the hosts file from my PC, it showed the original one, with which there should be no IR.
Next day IR failed indeed.
I think that the hosts file is reset after the initial check for IR.

The cloners need only make the change to the hosts file permanent, but, if they are not aware of the dependancy, they might overlook that. rolleyes.gif

I love the Olive for it's way to gard for classical music. Maybe there are other brands that do as well (or better?), but I don't know where to look. mad.gif

Marc
post #2992 of 3147 Old 06-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

This morning no Olive site (sigh...)

Luckily I had made some provisions in my other Olive tot test a little change, which seems to work well. That Olive showed Internet Available, even when I had pulled out the ethernet cable rolleyes.gif
In /etc/init.d/rcS I had added, just before the last line (exit), these lines:
Code:
# Maak Hosts file aan
cat > /etc/hosts << EOF
127.0.0.1   localhost localhost.localdomain
#regel toegevoegd zodat internetradio ook werkt als de Olive-site down is (marc 31-05-2014) 
127.0.0.1   olive.us olive
EOF

And until now this works lovely.
I know, there are several places in the Olive where the hosts-file is overwritten, and I am not sure if my solution will hold in any situation, but at least just refreshing the status does not affect the it.
If you have an Olive 4, without the hope or need for updates, this solution works well. Internetradio and information from freedb will still be available, with the correct settings of course.
If you have a newer Olive and hope for updates, this can also be a good solution, if you apply the update with an USB stick. After the update, all will be reset, and the Olive way of internet checking will be back in place. tongue.gif

But bear in mind that I am not responsible for any damage.

My faint hope is, that now the little pauses in the music that my Olive showed, just occasionally, will be gone for ever.

Marc
clpetersen likes this.
post #2993 of 3147 Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 AM

Hello,

I have a question.

I want to transfer my Musicfiles from my old olive 4 to my new olive 4HD.

Does somebody know how to do this?

Thank you for your support .
post #2994 of 3147 Old 06-05-2014, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Of course...

Just exchange the two hard disks. That's the fastest way.
But you might try to restore a recent backup of your Olive 4 on the new machine. But I don't know if the format is right.

Marc
post #2995 of 3147 Old 06-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Liked: 11

Hi,

I have started having the same issues.

I am hard wired to the router, but the <...> indicator switches from white to yellow, and I lose connectivity.

I have baby sat this device for too long.

I have had it up to the eyeballs.

Farewell Olive. As soon as I can I will replace you and you will be gone from my life........ :(

Viritrilbia likes this.
post #2996 of 3147 Old 06-09-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So, we will no longer have internet access if the Olive website goes away? How much worse can it get!!!

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #2997 of 3147 Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 527
^^^

I sometimes feel like I want to warn the folks buying the Olive One how Olive has treated us here: I think it says a lot when a company announces a new product and quietly drops support for its existing product: the product they built their reputation on...
Viritrilbia likes this.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #2998 of 3147 Old 06-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

^^^

I sometimes feel like I want to warn the folks buying the Olive One how Olive has treated us here: I think it says a lot when a company announces a new product and quietly drops support for its existing product: the product they built their reputation on...
The mayority of them already found out, I think. The questions about the delivery of the One are getting more and more.... Soon they will lose their patience to wait and get only promises and stupid answers..
post #2999 of 3147 Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM

I finally figured out how to back up my Olive 4HD with XBMC using my Mac (I'm not real good at these kinds of things). However, when I copy an album to my external hard drive, the tracks appear alphabetically and not in the order they appear on the CD. What will happen when I import these albums into a different music server in the future? Will the tracks be alphabetical, or in the correct order as on the CD? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix it so the tracks are in the correct order?
post #3000 of 3147 Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM

Hi Jackey,
Maybe you can use "XLD" to convert your music files (FLAC?) to "Apple Lossless" and then import to iTunes. (because iTunes does not recognize FLAC-files.)
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports