"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3031 of 3038 Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueser View Post
Hi everybody,

does anybody know which replacement hard drive is recommended or
does it make sense to get the original wd20evds and put it on stock in case
the one in the olive 4hd breaks?

Cheers

Marc H.
Hello Marc H - you should be able to use any hard drive you want. If you look back some pages, I had a detailed post of a hard drive replacement where I used a 2.5" notebook drive to replace the original 3.5" desktop drive for lower noise. Be sure you have a viable recovery USB stick, don't rely on cloning these disks (Marc (mumsoft)) has a number of posts re: the unique partitions used by Olive. I tried cloning and was unsuccessful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3038 Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Olive out of busness?

Have tried to contact olive but they don't answer e-mails and phone lines say disconnected. Anyone heard anything? Thanks.
post #3033 of 3038 Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

you can contact the oliveone guys. They had responded to
my last support request a couple of weeks ago.

Best

Marc H.
post #3034 of 3038 Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
cl ,
thanks a lot for the answer regarding the hard drive!
post #3035 of 3038 Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigamesure View Post
Hi,
I have an OLIVE 4HD. Last month, I bought on 2nd hand market an OLIVE 2 to listen music in another room with WIFI. My problem is to connect these players together. OLIVE 4HD is able to connect with any network or Android smartphone (mine and neighbours too) and the OLIVE 2 too. With ethernet network it works but no in WIFI ! When I search about WIFI network on OLIVE 2 physically close to OLIVE 4HD, it appear "no network" on the screen.
Could you please help me (and excuse me too for my poor english !) ?

Laurent
I make an auto-quote because I've just found the solution and I think it 's interesting to know it.
My Wifi network used the channel 13 and the 04HD worked well. But, after some days of "experiment", I discover the OLIVE2 accept only WIFI channels up to Ch.11. I changed all network components to this channel and now OLIVE2 is able to connect to OLIVE4HD and to my PC !
clpetersen likes this.
post #3036 of 3038 Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have done over 2700 cd's. Ripped them, edited them, and so often I have found some quirk in the name of a composer, mostly in not so important matters as extended characters (Bela Bartok in stead of Béla Bartók), but also some really nasty errors, as in "Felix Mendessohn-Barth." in stead of "Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy".
If you try to correct this in Maestro, you often end with the composer without first name (Felix), and adding this name makes Maestro behaving awkward. Refreshing it all the time is no fun
So, yesterday I was fed up with this behaviour.
I installed my third Olive, just a second hand one (no, not an Olive One ), and checked if that one also suffered from Mendessohn, which it did.
With sshfs I magically mounted the Olive disk onto a map in my PC, and ordered it to search for "Mendessohn".

It found it in /zapp/zgui/client/pl2_autocomplete.js
Nice!
This file contains all the composers names, conductor names, choruses and orchestras
Nice again!

I fixed Mendessohn, saved the file and tried an edit with Mendelssoh-Bartholdy, and that worked like a charm.
I also copied this file on my work-Olive. That had many Mendessohn-Barth. compositions. I pasted them on Mendelssoh-Bartholdy, results from my earlier wrestling with Maestro, and now all Mendesshon-Barth. disappeared and all are now compositions of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy.

I think this opens a way to control the composers, conductor, orchestras and choruses the Olive recognizes. But take care.

Marc
post #3037 of 3038 Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hello Marc H - you should be able to use any hard drive you want. If you look back some pages, I had a detailed post of a hard drive replacement where I used a 2.5" notebook drive to replace the original 3.5" desktop drive for lower noise. Be sure you have a viable recovery USB stick, don't rely on cloning these disks (Marc (mumsoft)) has a number of posts re: the unique partitions used by Olive. I tried cloning and was unsuccessful.
Hello-- just want a clarification on the comment regarding the cloning of the internal disc. I have an 04hd which I plan to open this summer to clone the disc. I'm on a Mac, the hard drive will be put on an external bay alongside the blank hard drive and will use Carbon Cloner software.. I tried it before and was successful in making an exact copy for another project...

I wonder if anyone has tried cloning before and can confirm it's possible.

This is just my second protection- the first one is the back-up drive in case something goes wrong..

Thanks in advance for inputs..
post #3038 of 3038 Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post
Hello-- just want a clarification on the comment regarding the cloning of the internal disc. I have an 04hd which I plan to open this summer to clone the disc. I'm on a Mac, the hard drive will be put on an external bay alongside the blank hard drive and will use Carbon Cloner software.. I tried it before and was successful in making an exact copy for another project...

I wonder if anyone has tried cloning before and can confirm it's possible.

This is just my second protection- the first one is the back-up drive in case something goes wrong..

Thanks in advance for inputs..
Cloning has given positive results regarding the posts I have read, if one used Acronis software (Windows)
With Carbon Cloner you might try it, it may succeed, it may fail.
In my Linux setup, I used Clonezilla. That is very good, almost too good, as it forces to check the filesystem. The filesystem of partition 1 is a made-up mixture of Olive, and once fixed by Clonezilla, not functioning anymore. Clonezilla fixes the source, so, if that is your valid Olive disk, after the cloning....

But I succeeded with a mixture of a recovery, and copying the cfg and data partitions (5 and 7)

Good luck
Marc
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List