"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #3031 of 3060 Old 06-24-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueser View Post
Hi everybody,

does anybody know which replacement hard drive is recommended or
does it make sense to get the original wd20evds and put it on stock in case
the one in the olive 4hd breaks?

Cheers

Marc H.
Hello Marc H - you should be able to use any hard drive you want. If you look back some pages, I had a detailed post of a hard drive replacement where I used a 2.5" notebook drive to replace the original 3.5" desktop drive for lower noise. Be sure you have a viable recovery USB stick, don't rely on cloning these disks (Marc (mumsoft)) has a number of posts re: the unique partitions used by Olive. I tried cloning and was unsuccessful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 3060 Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Olive out of busness?

Have tried to contact olive but they don't answer e-mails and phone lines say disconnected. Anyone heard anything? Thanks.
post #3033 of 3060 Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi,

you can contact the oliveone guys. They had responded to
my last support request a couple of weeks ago.

Best

Marc H.
post #3034 of 3060 Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 AM

cl ,
thanks a lot for the answer regarding the hard drive!
post #3035 of 3060 Old 07-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 11
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigamesure View Post
Hi,
I have an OLIVE 4HD. Last month, I bought on 2nd hand market an OLIVE 2 to listen music in another room with WIFI. My problem is to connect these players together. OLIVE 4HD is able to connect with any network or Android smartphone (mine and neighbours too) and the OLIVE 2 too. With ethernet network it works but no in WIFI ! When I search about WIFI network on OLIVE 2 physically close to OLIVE 4HD, it appear "no network" on the screen.
Could you please help me (and excuse me too for my poor english !) ?

Laurent
I make an auto-quote because I've just found the solution and I think it 's interesting to know it.
My Wifi network used the channel 13 and the 04HD worked well. But, after some days of "experiment", I discover the OLIVE2 accept only WIFI channels up to Ch.11. I changed all network components to this channel and now OLIVE2 is able to connect to OLIVE4HD and to my PC !
clpetersen likes this.
post #3036 of 3060 Old 07-11-2014, 02:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have done over 2700 cd's. Ripped them, edited them, and so often I have found some quirk in the name of a composer, mostly in not so important matters as extended characters (Bela Bartok in stead of Béla Bartók), but also some really nasty errors, as in "Felix Mendessohn-Barth." in stead of "Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy".
If you try to correct this in Maestro, you often end with the composer without first name (Felix), and adding this name makes Maestro behaving awkward. Refreshing it all the time is no fun
So, yesterday I was fed up with this behaviour.
I installed my third Olive, just a second hand one (no, not an Olive One ), and checked if that one also suffered from Mendessohn, which it did.
With sshfs I magically mounted the Olive disk onto a map in my PC, and ordered it to search for "Mendessohn".

It found it in /zapp/zgui/client/pl2_autocomplete.js
Nice!
This file contains all the composers names, conductor names, choruses and orchestras
Nice again!

I fixed Mendessohn, saved the file and tried an edit with Mendelssoh-Bartholdy, and that worked like a charm.
I also copied this file on my work-Olive. That had many Mendessohn-Barth. compositions. I pasted them on Mendelssohn-Bartholdy, results from my earlier wrestling with Maestro, and now all Mendesshon-Barth. disappeared and all are now compositions of Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy.

I think this opens a way to control the composers, conductor, orchestras and choruses the Olive recognizes. But take care.

Marc

Last edited by mumsoft; 08-01-2014 at 06:06 AM.
post #3037 of 3060 Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Hello Marc H - you should be able to use any hard drive you want. If you look back some pages, I had a detailed post of a hard drive replacement where I used a 2.5" notebook drive to replace the original 3.5" desktop drive for lower noise. Be sure you have a viable recovery USB stick, don't rely on cloning these disks (Marc (mumsoft)) has a number of posts re: the unique partitions used by Olive. I tried cloning and was unsuccessful.
Hello-- just want a clarification on the comment regarding the cloning of the internal disc. I have an 04hd which I plan to open this summer to clone the disc. I'm on a Mac, the hard drive will be put on an external bay alongside the blank hard drive and will use Carbon Cloner software.. I tried it before and was successful in making an exact copy for another project...

I wonder if anyone has tried cloning before and can confirm it's possible.

This is just my second protection- the first one is the back-up drive in case something goes wrong..

Thanks in advance for inputs..
post #3038 of 3060 Old 07-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post
Hello-- just want a clarification on the comment regarding the cloning of the internal disc. I have an 04hd which I plan to open this summer to clone the disc. I'm on a Mac, the hard drive will be put on an external bay alongside the blank hard drive and will use Carbon Cloner software.. I tried it before and was successful in making an exact copy for another project...

I wonder if anyone has tried cloning before and can confirm it's possible.

This is just my second protection- the first one is the back-up drive in case something goes wrong..

Thanks in advance for inputs..
Cloning has given positive results regarding the posts I have read, if one used Acronis software (Windows)
With Carbon Cloner you might try it, it may succeed, it may fail.
In my Linux setup, I used Clonezilla. That is very good, almost too good, as it forces to check the filesystem. The filesystem of partition 1 is a made-up mixture of Olive, and once fixed by Clonezilla, not functioning anymore. Clonezilla fixes the source, so, if that is your valid Olive disk, after the cloning....

But I succeeded with a mixture of a recovery, and copying the cfg and data partitions (5 and 7)

Good luck
Marc
post #3039 of 3060 Old 07-14-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Cloning has given positive results regarding the posts I have read, if one used Acronis software (Windows)
With Carbon Cloner you might try it, it may succeed, it may fail.
In my Linux setup, I used Clonezilla. That is very good, almost too good, as it forces to check the filesystem. The filesystem of partition 1 is a made-up mixture of Olive, and once fixed by Clonezilla, not functioning anymore. Clonezilla fixes the source, so, if that is your valid Olive disk, after the cloning....

But I succeeded with a mixture of a recovery, and copying the cfg and data partitions (5 and 7)

Good luck
Marc
Thanks for the info Marc..

Just got confirmation from the Carbon Cloner guys that the aforementioned software will NOT be able to clone the linux-based hard drive of Olive players....So all Mac users take note..
post #3040 of 3060 Old 07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear0104 View Post
Thanks for the info Marc..

Just got confirmation from the Carbon Cloner guys that the aforementioned software will NOT be able to clone the linux-based hard drive of Olive players....So all Mac users take note..
I would try Knoppix then. That makes a machine a Linux machine without touching it, and you can do all kind of administrative things with it. I believe it has in-built cloning capabilities.
But take care, if you don't know what you do, you could easily harm your Mac without knowing so.

Marc
post #3041 of 3060 Old 07-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb Edit radiostations

Our beloved or not so beloved Olives have internet radio inside, with many stations already available from start.
You can add a station, either on screen, tapping an ugly keyboard, or with Opus, the software variant of this screen in the browser. Alas, there is no edit button. And if anything is sure, than it is that once in a while your valuable internet radio stations change their internet address, or even disappear, which yields the same result: silence.

That has happened to me more than once, and of course, I sought a solution.
In the data map (partition 7) is the file radiostation.xml, an xml-file that you can edit with any Linux-based editor. It contains all the dead radio stations you once added in your Olive, and with some care, you can edit the file and get rid of the unwanted stuff, or change the internet addresses of the moved stations.

An entry in radiostation.xml looks like this:
Code:
<item id="ROOT_ALLIR_IR3" parentID="ROOT_ALLIR">
<StationName>Concertzender live</StationName>
<upnp:class>object.item.audioItem.radioItem</upnp:class>
<StationType>music</StationType>
<StationLogo>N/A</StationLogo>
<res>http://streams.greenhost.nl:8080/live</res>
</item>
I highlighted the editable stuff. In this case it is the info I found for the Dutch concertzender
Now, if you can get at this file (I did it with sshfs on my pc), you can finally edit, add and delete radiostations without the awkward Olive way of doing so, or better, not doing so.

Marc

edit: There is a way to delete radiostations from the list of favorites, with the Ok button.

Last edited by mumsoft; 07-15-2014 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Didn't give Olive some credits
post #3042 of 3060 Old 07-14-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am the owner of a 06HD and have experienced a great number of the issues reported here. I have decided to move to a mac mini based server using my 0ppo bdp-105 as the dac. I have been amazed at the technical know how of the folks on this forum. Unfortunately, my computer acumen is lacking, so forgive my denseness!
A couple of comments/questions...
First, I hooked the hard drive that I houses my olive back-up data directly to my oppo and was happy to see that the oppo could read and play the files. In fact i like the sound of the oppo dac much more than the 06HD. The issue is that every time I access the drive from the oppo, it takes a great deal of time to access the files. I am assuming that if I were using the mac with appropriate software that would not be an issue.
I want to maintain the high resolution files and play them off the mac. From what I have read here there are a few options to transfer the linux files. One being XBMC. I have read that JRiver could read the files as well. Does anyone know if Amarra would work for that purpose or would I need an additional step?
Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh
post #3043 of 3060 Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM

XBMC Problems

Started copying albums from Olive to my computer using XBMC. Tried selecting all and copying but it copied about 10 albums and stopped. I wanted to start where it left off but couldn't find a way to select to copy just a few at a time. I started copying individual albums one at a time. After every album is finished copying, XBMC quits. I have to re-open it and set up my source and destination before copying another album. Is there a better way.
post #3044 of 3060 Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM

olive 4hd

Hi all
my problem is that my computers are not creating an import file to enable me to import music from my pc I'm running a mixture of windows 8.1 and windows 7, I can however use maestro.
Thanks
bryan

Last edited by Bryan Levine; 07-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #3045 of 3060 Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Levine View Post
Hi all
my problem is that my computers are not creating an import file to enable me to import music from my pc I'm running a mixture of windows 8.1 and windows 7, I can however use maestro.
Thanks
bryan
With what software? It's not meant for browsers, a filemanager should fit better.

Marc
post #3046 of 3060 Old 07-21-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
I would try Knoppix then. That makes a machine a Linux machine without touching it, and you can do all kind of administrative things with it. I believe it has in-built cloning capabilities.
But take care, if you don't know what you do, you could easily harm your Mac without knowing so.

Marc
I tried a dedicated hardware cloning system, that was claimed to be Linux compatible, so no risk to any OSX or Windows system, and if it worked, much faster than a software clone. However, no luck.
But, simply using the Olive recover software (USB stick) and then reloading the music form a back-up disk worked very well, all completed using the Olive itself. So no risk to the original disk or any other OS. And, I believe, much faster than cloning.
post #3047 of 3060 Old 07-21-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnich View Post
I am the owner of a 06HD and have experienced a great number of the issues reported here. I have decided to move to a mac mini based server using my 0ppo bdp-105 as the dac. I have been amazed at the technical know how of the folks on this forum. Unfortunately, my computer acumen is lacking, so forgive my denseness!
A couple of comments/questions...
First, I hooked the hard drive that I houses my olive back-up data directly to my oppo and was happy to see that the oppo could read and play the files. In fact i like the sound of the oppo dac much more than the 06HD. The issue is that every time I access the drive from the oppo, it takes a great deal of time to access the files. I am assuming that if I were using the mac with appropriate software that would not be an issue.
I want to maintain the high resolution files and play them off the mac. From what I have read here there are a few options to transfer the linux files. One being XBMC. I have read that JRiver could read the files as well. Does anyone know if Amarra would work for that purpose or would I need an additional step?
Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help!

Josh
If you look back several posts from myself, you will see a post detailing using XBMC to move the files from the Olive to create a portable set of files. I used JRiver to read this set of files, no issues. As pointed out in several posts by Mumsoft, any edits done using Maestro are not embedded into the music files tags but just the Olive database (true of most library software).
I suggest using something that will create another library database from the exported files (like JRiver, or Sonos, or Bluesound, ...) so the music is much easier searched.

Now, I rip into the portable set of files (using XLD for Mac), and then import into Olive and/or re-synch with JRiver (which actually does this automatically).
post #3048 of 3060 Old 07-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Hi. I just got an 03hd.
Is there a way to keep the display from scrolling. I hit track on remote and it stops. But it reverts back in a few seconds. Any help?
post #3049 of 3060 Old 08-01-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Cool

I had opened my Olive 4 a little too often, and found that the display was blurred and vague after the last fatal effort, maybe a year ago now. I had to open it to get the new music on the disk, without the need to use the awkward backup and restore from Olive 4.1.9. Fortunately a way to backup and restore the music without opening the unit emerged (all about this is written in this thread), and I didn't need to open my Olive any more. The blurred display was of course no fun, but it did not hinder me too much. Leave well alone, also the not-so well.

Alas, last week something bad happened. The music stopped all of a sudden, went on, stopped again. It did no move on after that, the display was not blurred any more, but shining white, and from the innards of the Olive came bleep-bleep bleep-bleep sounds
This did not look (nor sound) good...

When you do all kind of non standard things to your Olive, as I do, you can't rely too much on warranty. Besides, for my Olive 4 it lasted just one meagre year, and that year lay way back in the past.
Begin this year I had laid my hands on a neat 2. hand Olive 4, which sat in the corner, waiting for some action. It got that!

I swapped the two lids, and hooray, that worked. The display looked fine again, and the music went on. The faulty lid gave now a blurred display on the second hand Olive.
But I have reasons to swap as little as possible, as I have had my Olive modified, and the 'faulty' lid is not standard. The new lid also did not feel nice. Reasons enough for me to examine the problem a bit further.
To make a long story short, it was enough to exchange the two displays. The display in the Olive 4 is an Innolux Display AT043TN24 V.1, which has some electronics on the flexible how-you-call-it plate that is attached to the underside of the actual display, which is attached to the Olive with an FFC connection. No doubt I had harmed this flexible plate with my clumsy handling of the poor thing.
Pff, enough technical hum hum. For a picture (from a shop where they sell this display ) look here

Marc
post #3050 of 3060 Old 08-04-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I had opened my Olive 4 a little too often, and found that the display was blurred and vague after the last fatal effort, maybe a year ago now. I had to open it to get the new music on the disk, without the need to use the awkward backup and restore from Olive 4.1.9. Fortunately a way to backup and restore the music without opening the unit emerged (all about this is written in this thread), and I didn't need to open my Olive any more. The blurred display was of course no fun, but it did not hinder me too much. Leave well alone, also the not-so well.

Alas, last week something bad happened. The music stopped all of a sudden, went on, stopped again. It did no move on after that, the display was not blurred any more, but shining white, and from the innards of the Olive came bleep-bleep bleep-bleep sounds
This did not look (nor sound) good...

When you do all kind of non standard things to your Olive, as I do, you can't rely too much on warranty. Besides, for my Olive 4 it lasted just one meagre year, and that year lay way back in the past.
Begin this year I had laid my hands on a neat 2. hand Olive 4, which sat in the corner, waiting for some action. It got that!

I swapped the two lids, and hooray, that worked. The display looked fine again, and the music went on. The faulty lid gave now a blurred display on the second hand Olive.
But I have reasons to swap as little as possible, as I have had my Olive modified, and the 'faulty' lid is not standard. The new lid also did not feel nice. Reasons enough for me to examine the problem a bit further.
To make a long story short, it was enough to exchange the two displays. The display in the Olive 4 is an Innolux Display AT043TN24 V.1, which has some electronics on the flexible how-you-call-it plate that is attached to the underside of the actual display, which is attached to the Olive with an FFC connection. No doubt I had harmed this flexible plate with my clumsy handling of the poor thing.
Pff, enough technical hum hum. For a picture (from a shop where they sell this display ) look here

Marc
Good to know, thx Marc.
post #3051 of 3060 Old 08-12-2014, 05:33 PM

I have an Olive 6HD. it has worked flawless during two years. but suddenly it stoped emiting sound. All the others functions work fine> ripping, scrolling, settings. I tried changing cables, amplifiers, inputs, restore default settings, etc but I cant find the solution. the same with the earphones outpout.
Has anybody experienced the same problem? Any ideas
Sebastian
Buenos Aires
Argentina
post #3052 of 3060 Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuec View Post
I have an Olive 6HD. it has worked flawless during two years. but suddenly it stoped emiting sound. All the others functions work fine> ripping, scrolling, settings. I tried changing cables, amplifiers, inputs, restore default settings, etc but I cant find the solution. the same with the earphones outpout.
Has anybody experienced the same problem? Any ideas
Sebastian
Buenos Aires
Argentina
Do you have a way to check the digital out? (i.e. another DAC).
If the DAC is frozen you will not have digital either.
Does the Olive think it is playng? i.e. does it move through successive tracks?
Our 06 did this once, no reason, cables seemed fine. Powering the unit off/on fixed it, no issues (with this failure mode at least) since.
post #3053 of 3060 Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Do you have a way to check the digital out? (i.e. another DAC).
If the DAC is frozen you will not have digital either.
Does the Olive think it is playng? i.e. does it move through successive tracks?
Our 06 did this once, no reason, cables seemed fine. Powering the unit off/on fixed it, no issues (with this failure mode at least) since.
I dont have another DAC, what if I connect ot Oppo for example by digital. I have the Olive connected via digiatal to a Marantz amplifier and via RCA to a Mcintosh, and i dont have sound in both.
The Olive thinks that is playing, you can see the tracks, time, change tracks, albums. It looks that works perfectly. The first thing that I tried was the power on off, but it didnt resolve the question.
Thanks for your answer, perhaps anybody have another idea.
post #3054 of 3060 Old 08-16-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuec View Post
I dont have another DAC, what if I connect ot Oppo for example by digital. I have the Olive connected via digiatal to a Marantz amplifier and via RCA to a Mcintosh, and i dont have sound in both.
The Olive thinks that is playing, you can see the tracks, time, change tracks, albums. It looks that works perfectly. The first thing that I tried was the power on off, but it didnt resolve the question.
Thanks for your answer, perhaps anybody have another idea.
Maybe a silly question, but just in case... Is your volume setting on maximum and not muted?
post #3055 of 3060 Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I recently bought an used Olive 4HD with about 1500 albums on them.
This 4HD gave I/O error with importing cd's so I made a back up and did a restore, this did not solve the problem.
It felt not good to have this error, the guy I bought from had another 4HD and we switched 4HD's.
The second 4HD is working flawless, so I'm happy now and love the sound of the Olive.

My question is:
The second 4HD has about 2000 albums on them and I have now 1500 albums from the first 4HD on a external HD.
I use Windows 8.1 and my router is an Asus RT-AC66U. I can access the files on the 4HD on my computer and play them on my computer.
I want to put the 1500 albums on the second 4HD.
Is it as easy as just copying the files from the external HD to the 4HD through my computer?
post #3056 of 3060 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbaatje View Post
I recently bought an used Olive 4HD with about 1500 albums on them.
This 4HD gave I/O error with importing cd's so I made a back up and did a restore, this did not solve the problem.
It felt not good to have this error, the guy I bought from had another 4HD and we switched 4HD's.
The second 4HD is working flawless, so I'm happy now and love the sound of the Olive.

My question is:
The second 4HD has about 2000 albums on them and I have now 1500 albums from the first 4HD on a external HD.
I use Windows 8.1 and my router is an Asus RT-AC66U. I can access the files on the 4HD on my computer and play them on my computer.
I want to put the 1500 albums on the second 4HD.
Is it as easy as just copying the files from the external HD to the 4HD through my computer?
No, it's not that easy. There is a central sql-database in your Olive that keeps track of everything, and merely copying tracks and albums from one hard disk to another makes no sense. The database will not be affected.
But you could try to import them. Be aware that only the meta data in your tracks will be seen by your Olive, and not the meta data that your faulty Olive kept in its database.
But I think that you have two very similar databases, as they both come from one source.

Marc
post #3057 of 3060 Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thx for the reply Marc!
I see you are dutch also, I'll pm you in dutch.
post #3058 of 3060 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Folks,

I have my Olive 4 for about 6 years now, so I was a bit ashamed to discover something to-day that I never was aware before.
Always thought that something 'better' than cd-quality (44.1 Khz 16 bit) was not doable for the humble internal DAC, but to my amazement it plays without hesitation also 48 KHz and 96 Khz rips, albeit 16 bit. (So, still only a meagre 96 dB difference between the most silent sound and the loudest sound. ) Well, I have to live with that.

Marc
@Corbaatje : you're welcome.
post #3059 of 3060 Old Today, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
Maybe a silly question, but just in case... Is your volume setting on maximum and not muted?
In these cases nothing is silly, That's exactly mine feeling that the Olive is Mute, and I cannot find the way to "desmute" it. I'm sure nothing serious is wrong, that is a silliness but Ican´t find the way to solve.
Thanks anyway. Chuec
post #3060 of 3060 Old Today, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Obviously it is your internal DAC at fault. Maybe it's just a loose cable. If you're lucky.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page