"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #3061 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuec View Post
In these cases nothing is silly, That's exactly mine feeling that the Olive is Mute, and I cannot find the way to "desmute" it. I'm sure nothing serious is wrong, that is a silliness but Ican´t find the way to solve.
Thanks anyway. Chuec
But your olive shows maximum volume? Did you try to change it, including the save? Does it react on the remote control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
But your olive shows maximum volume? Did you try to change it, including the save? Does it react on the remote control?
Is the first thing I checked. The Volune is maximun, I tried lowering the volume, mute and saved, then desmute. I tried all those things, but none worked.
I power it off , change cables, inputs, outputs, all the logical things, but ot still can´t find the failure.
Thanks. Chuec
post #3063 of 3146 Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Obviously it is your internal DAC at fault. Maybe it's just a loose cable. If you're lucky.
thanks, I hope I'm lucky
post #3064 of 3146 Old 08-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If you can open it (if there is no warranty anymore), it's an obvious check, after all the other obvious things you did.

Good luck.
Marc
post #3065 of 3146 Old 08-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Olive4HD

Hello!Can anyone explain to me how to open the unit.I have an Olive4HD and I can not figure out how to open the damned thing without breaking it apart.I have had this one for years and for the past year or so the unit constantly freezes and screen become fragmented and not responsive.Music becomes intermittent like a broken record.Some times I can't even start the unit.Olive support had never responded to me,once in the beginning I have spoke with the tech he was rude and not helpful at all.I decided (yeah,I know its been long time since the problem started but I had no time for this until now) to take a look inside myself to see if there is some faulty connections but stuck right away because I simply can't figure out how to open it.Appreciate your help
post #3066 of 3146 Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by taramuh View Post
Hello!Can anyone explain to me how to open the unit.I have an Olive4HD and I can not figure out how to open the damned thing without breaking it apart.I have had this one for years and for the past year or so the unit constantly freezes and screen become fragmented and not responsive.Music becomes intermittent like a broken record.Some times I can't even start the unit.Olive support had never responded to me,once in the beginning I have spoke with the tech he was rude and not helpful at all.I decided (yeah,I know its been long time since the problem started but I had no time for this until now) to take a look inside myself to see if there is some faulty connections but stuck right away because I simply can't figure out how to open it.Appreciate your help
Hello Tarmuth - the screws are common 'tamper-proof' screws. I actually posted something on this a while back - don't remember the actual size at this moment. For short money you can get a set of corresponding tamper-proof bits from places like Amazon. They come in sets - not individually, but a local hardware store might sell the individual bits.

Just take off the small screws around the perimeter of the case, do not remove any screws fromm the center of the back panel. 2 minutes. Be careful of the ribbon cable going to the display when you lift the cover
post #3067 of 3146 Old 08-29-2014, 03:11 PM

I have an Olive 03HD around 3 years old. It will not power up, stays only in the white screen system starting up. I have downloaded the recovery software from Olive and followed instructions for formatting etc. When I put the USB in it it states USB recovery failed. I have tried different USB's and different format but still get the failed notice. I have requested help 3 times from Olive but never get a reply and their web site is down most of the time. Can some help me...thanks
post #3068 of 3146 Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimenez77 View Post
I have an Olive 03HD around 3 years old. It will not power up, stays only in the white screen system starting up. I have downloaded the recovery software from Olive and followed instructions for formatting etc. When I put the USB in it it states USB recovery failed. I have tried different USB's and different format but still get the failed notice. I have requested help 3 times from Olive but never get a reply and their web site is down most of the time. Can some help me...thanks
I have used the recovery software software (successfully) from Olive.
There is only one format, FAT 32 I believe.

What I noticed was that the download file is large and although I received a 'success' message when downloading, being cautious I tried twice to be sure and the file sizes were different. I then did several downloads until I got three versions identical and used one of those copies. For what is worth.
post #3069 of 3146 Old 09-07-2014, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for this observation. Quite silly how this actually works. I'll try it. I have had many failed recoveries in the past, and got used to it.
post #3070 of 3146 Old 09-07-2014, 07:24 PM

My Olive 3HD has been temperamental since I purchased it a couple of years ago, but now I have a serious problem. It plays for about 1 or 2 minutes and then I get no sound. The screen still shows the track as playing. I tried restarting the unit, unplugging it completely,etc but the same thing happens each time. Anyone have any idea what is happening and more importantly, how to fix it?

post #3071 of 3146 Old 09-08-2014, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangialo View Post
My Olive 3HD has been temperamental since I purchased it a couple of years ago, but now I have a serious problem. It plays for about 1 or 2 minutes and then I get no sound. The screen still shows the track as playing. I tried restarting the unit, unplugging it completely,etc but the same thing happens each time. Anyone have any idea what is happening and more importantly, how to fix it?
The first thing that comes to my mind is to check the database zDB in your Olive. With a Linux pc, that is not difficult to do, and I have posted about this in the past. I'm not at home, so I can't repeat the steps.
But then, if the problem lies there, you still can't do much about it.
If you have a recent backup you could think of restoring it. This would also recover the zDB.
And of course you could start with a recovery, to be sure that it is not something else. See Mr. Petersen post above.

Marc
post #3072 of 3146 Old 09-08-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The first thing that comes to my mind is to check the database zDB in your Olive. With a Linux pc, that is not difficult to do, and I have posted about this in the past. I'm not at home, so I can't repeat the steps.
But then, if the problem lies there, you still can't do much about it.
If you have a recent backup you could think of restoring it. This would also recover the zDB.
And of course you could start with a recovery, to be sure that it is not something else. See Mr. Petersen post above.

Marc
Hi Marc...just got home from the office and I began the restore process which I am guessing will take quite a bit of time. The only thing is, is that I backed up after experiencing the problem I described so I am hoping that I did not back up the problem instead. By the way, I have a MAC OS, not a Linux pc, but I am hoping that the restore process works. Much thanks.

post #3073 of 3146 Old 09-09-2014, 12:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangialo View Post
Hi Marc...just got home from the office and I began the restore process which I am guessing will take quite a bit of time. The only thing is, is that I backed up after experiencing the problem I described so I am hoping that I did not back up the problem instead. By the way, I have a MAC OS, not a Linux pc, but I am hoping that the restore process works. Much thanks.
I hope for you, but I hoped that you had a backup of a properly working Olive.
Anyway, good luck!

Marc
post #3074 of 3146 Old 09-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@ Marc

I cannot PM you anymore, something changed and I need 15 posts now.
post #3075 of 3146 Old 09-14-2014, 01:20 AM

Merging 2 different databases with music was too risky.
I tried a few albums and some albums were recognized bij the 04HD and some not.

I tried to make a back up but every time at 98% I get an I/O sda error.
Is there some solution for this?
To be sure I transferred all the music from the 04HD to the HD from my laptop.
post #3076 of 3146 Old 09-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbaatje View Post

I tried to make a back up but every time at 98% I get an I/O sda error.
Is there some solution for this?
To be sure I transferred all the music from the 04HD to the HD from my laptop.
You asked something and you gave the answer right away.

Marc

Do you still get problems with PM?
post #3077 of 3146 Old 09-21-2014, 12:39 AM

I'm better then I thought :-).

A freeze at 98% is there then for 98% files on the external HD and can I use it for restore?

AVS changed policy, you need 15 posts before you can PM now.
post #3078 of 3146 Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

I would not count on a backup with freezes. But since a backup is just a bunch of copies of files, the backup in your laptop is much more reliable.

Having said that, I backup both the data and the cfg partition to be sure. That is sda7 and sda5.
For the latter I see no reason, but making backups of only the changes in sda7 once gave me trouble, so now I include sda5 in the process.

Just mirroring the Olive disk is a fine way to backup every bit of it.
Only the very first partition is troublesome in that regard.

Thanks for the clarification about pm's

Marc
post #3079 of 3146 Old 09-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
I have used the recovery software software (successfully) from Olive.
There is only one format, FAT 32 I believe.

What I noticed was that the download file is large and although I received a 'success' message when downloading, being cautious I tried twice to be sure and the file sizes were different. I then did several downloads until I got three versions identical and used one of those copies. For what is worth.
Olive website is down for the last 2 weeks.
I'm looking for the recoveryCD for my Olive 03HD.
I'm really appreciated if some one can share it, if you need a place to upload. Let me know.
Thank In Advance.
post #3080 of 3146 Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Digital View Post
Olive website is down for the last 2 weeks.
I'm looking for the recoveryCD for my Olive 03HD.
I'm really appreciated if some one can share it, if you need a place to upload. Let me know.
Thank In Advance.
Yes, I downloaded the recovery files for the 03,04 and 06. Latest versions.
I believe too big to email. Please provide an upload site or send me a PM.
X Digital likes this.
post #3081 of 3146 Old 09-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Dropbox?
post #3082 of 3146 Old 09-24-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Yes, I downloaded the recovery files for the 03,04 and 06. Latest versions.
I believe too big to email. Please provide an upload site or send me a PM.
Can you upload to this dropbox, I just created?
username: x.digital at gmail.com
password: One4All
post #3083 of 3146 Old 09-25-2014, 01:05 AM
Advanced Member

Is that published password really necesary? Seems rather unsafe to me. :-(
post #3084 of 3146 Old 09-25-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Is that published password really necesary? Seems rather unsafe to me. :-(
Don't worry, this is like a one time use. Or Uploader can change password after the file is uploaded, and put a link here for everybody.
post #3085 of 3146 Old 09-27-2014, 08:50 AM

Unhappy

Hi !
HP: Olive server is working again :-)

Can anybody help me, PLEASE? Like to save my albums(Flac) from 4HD to my extermal Disc(could be FLAC) on Mac. With XLD hopefuly possible to convert it to ALAC).
How i connect my Olive-4HD to XBMC(via Mac OSX): Which release of XBMC do i have to use?
I have heard just the old versions of XBMC can do this on MAC-OSX!

Which network-configuration on 4HD(Firmware 4.3.2 / ethernet-cable is already connected between the devices) is needed, so that XBMC can "see" the olive 4HD for selecting in the Filemanager! For this purpose an external firewire-Drive is already connected with my Mac.
Many thanks for answers, guys! :-)

Jo
post #3086 of 3146 Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Digital View Post
Don't worry, this is like a one time use. Or Uploader can change password after the file is uploaded, and put a link here for everybody.
Hello Xdigital - logged into your drop box account. However, it is asking for my credit card info in order to start a 14 day free trial. If you want to start the trial, then cancel within 14 days, please do so and either post or send a pm to me.

Alternatively, the Olive site is up and running and the recovery download links appear to be active. Hurry!

Last edited by clpetersen; 09-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.
post #3087 of 3146 Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLIVE View Post
Hi !
HP: Olive server is working again :-)

Can anybody help me, PLEASE? Like to save my albums(Flac) from 4HD to my extermal Disc(could be FLAC) on Mac. With XLD hopefuly possible to convert it to ALAC).
How i connect my Olive-4HD to XBMC(via Mac OSX): Which release of XBMC do i have to use?
I have heard just the old versions of XBMC can do this on MAC-OSX!

Which network-configuration on 4HD(Firmware 4.3.2 / ethernet-cable is already connected between the devices) is needed, so that XBMC can "see" the olive 4HD for selecting in the Filemanager! For this purpose an external firewire-Drive is already connected with my Mac.
Many thanks for answers, guys! :-)

Jo
Hello Jo - if you go to the Olive One thread in the AVS forums you will quickly find a link to a very detailed set of instructions from the Olive team on how to use XBMC.

However, XBMC should see the Olive on the network automatically as the Olive is DLNA compliant.

See my earlier post in this thread on how to manage this on a MAC as well.
post #3088 of 3146 Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 AM

Jo, in addition to the instructions for XBMC in the OliveOne thread, I summarized my attempts to transfer files from my Olive Opus 4 (both with XBMC and WinSCP) on this thread about a year and a half ago (Feb '13, bottom of page 78 -- I can re-copy here if you wnat) that are a little more detailed (particularly if you're having trouble "finding" your Olive device in the XBMC menu).

My question to everyone else is whether anyone has yet had any success transferring FLAC files that maintain metadata that had been edited in their Olive (like in Maestro). I re-tried the XBMC method, and although many files come over with metadata, or that metadata gets repopulated when the files are opened in a music program, it is NEVER the metadata that I edited following the original ripping to the Opus 4. Seems like the metadata that does appear is either what was populated with the original ripping, or else what can be retrieved from online databases (MusicBrainz, etc). And XBMC does show the correctly edited metadata when looking at the device (left column), just doesn't seem to transfer it. The WinSCP method seems to preserve the edited data in a separate location, but how to automatically attach that to the files is beyond me.

Not such a big deal for popular music where the automatically populated data are pretty accurate, but a complete disaster with classical files, of which I have thousands. OliveOne supposedly arriving -- I'll be crying if I have to edit this all again manually...
post #3089 of 3146 Old 10-07-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Me too. So we will cry stereophonically... :-)
I think that transfering the music to an Olive1 will not be such a disaster, but... you never know. In stead, take a Sonos or so, what then?
As the old saying goes, it takes two to tango.

The Sonos or so will have to eat what the Olive spits out.
So you need a decent import function, but the so-so streamer needs to have the same fields in its database. Roughly. That is the real challenge.

Marc
post #3090 of 3146 Old 10-08-2014, 08:14 PM

I have a olive HD opus 4. I have a problem with the WIFI where it has dropped out and i cant get it started again. I have done several re boots and i just get the orange WIFI signal. I am just wondering if it is the nic or a problem with the firmware. The Firmware is the latest version. If it is a firmware problem where can i download the Firmware as i couldn't find it on the Olive site. I have been playing over an hour and the WIFI has come back online. But i know as soon as i turn it off i will lose WIFI next time i turn it on.

Last edited by olive hd; 10-08-2014 at 09:54 PM.
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page