"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 105 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #3121 of 3136 Old 11-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Uthlande [/URL]

What's in the tubes is a solution with activated C atoms.....The tubes contain a wax-like liquid that can be used on printed boards, aluminium cases and so on.
While reading through the olive/opus forum to assist my mother with replacing her Opus°4's hard drive (thanks for your guy's help), I came across your post #1628 ,1632 about the liquid/treatment that improves the performance of audio equipment. This has sparked some debate between my father and I. I was wondering if you could please provide any additional information or point me in the right direction to find out more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3136 Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi Bajahab,

I can imagine that my post has sparked some debate, because this matter always does. Nowadays I usually keep my mouth shut, because it is of little use to talk about stuff that one cannot get (anymore), and that one has to experience in his own set.

Some time has passed since that post. It is more than 3 years old, I see. And the world has had it's usual spinning round. What I mean, the modifications that about a hundred people here in the Netherlands have enjoyed were part of the explorations of the small team that invented the basis. They just wanted to be sure that they were on a good track, and so offered to whoever asked for it, to modify one's equipment. The fysical modifications were done by a sound professional technician, who earned a little money that way. But the essence of the modifications was free as in free beer. F.I. the liquid I talked about was free to get if only you asked for it.

But these days are over. Modifying equipment is not what everybody with expensive audio stuff is eager for, if you see what I mean. So, they thought of a way to modify the audio set without touching it, and they produced for that purpose so called audio-tiles. At first, these were free too, and just quite small, again to experience what these did for the sound.
Now we have the so called Suzy Wong Audio tiles. Quite heavy, about the size of normal equipment, to be placed just below the set.
The first batch is now sold out, and new ones are about to emerge, but still not widely available yet.I have searched for a picture, I know there are some, but could not find one.

But I found the
, which tells the tale I told, albeit a bit different.
post #3123 of 3136 Old 11-25-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I see the Olive web site is up. I'm hoping that their promised remote app update will work with legacy products.
http://www.olive.us/products/APP.html

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #3124 of 3136 Old 11-26-2014, 03:38 PM
wbk

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
This will work for Olive 04HD, 03HD, 06HD. Don't know about earlier versions.

just google 'olive one XBMC' to get to this instruction set with active links:

From Olive One:

" You can simply copy the music from your Olive Music Server to your PC/MAC via XBMC and from there to your ONE.

Here is the short summary of step-by-step instructions:

Step 1. Pick up and plug in an empty portable hard drive.

Step 2. Download and install XBMC. We have received word that the latest builds of XBMC do not work any more for music transfer and we recommend to install one of the previous builds (10.1 or 12.3) which you can download at

http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/

Step 3. Launch XBMC. Along the left hand side are options: Weather, Pictures, Music, Videos etc... Move the cursor over the System option.

Step 4. Under System, you will see a small faint arrow pointing to the right. This indicates a pull-out menu. Move your cursor right to see the pull-out menu and select File Manager.

Step 5. The screen should now look now like a big cog with two menus; one on the left, one on the right. Beginning with the left, select Add Source. By selecting Browse, you should be able to see your Olive named in the file structure. Select it. Do the same on the right side, but this time browse to yourexternal hard drive (or to where ever you are storing the data). Note: The right side in XBMC has to be a directory that is writeable, otherwise you will not be able to copy the music from the left side (i.e. your music server).

Step 6. Double click on your Olive Name. You should see a list beginning with two dots, followed by Album, Artist etc... One click selects the option, two clicks digs into it.

Step 7. At this stage you can right click on an option, and you will have the ability to copy. If you choose copy at this time, it moves the file from the left side (your Olive) to the right (your hard drive). Alternatively, you can double click on Album or Artist, and you will dig further in to your Olive. At that point you can select several, or all of the albums/artists/playlists, right click, and copy to the drive.

Note:
1) Please make sure to disable any firewall / anti-virus program during the transfer. This may cause the transfer to stall or the music server library not to show up at all in XBMC.
2) Although XBMC is also available for the Mac we have heard from several customers that it does not work properly for the music transfer.
3) Here is an interesting tutorial from one of our customers: [URL="http://imgur.com/a/ocaix#10"]http://imgur.com/a/ocaix#10[/U
It is also possible to do it with Foobar2000 (media player for PC), provided that you make a full installation including ‘File Ops’ component. It allows file naming patterns.
Another option is to copy the music directly from your USB backup drive (backup must have been done with software 4.3.2). If you have a PC with Linux OS (or know someone who does) you can copy the music from the USB backup drive. Note: there are also tools for Windows that allow you to access the backup drive so you do not necessarily need a Linux PC. Here is one sample link that covers this topic: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/accessi...-from-windows/
clpeterson, thanks for your reply. After several tries I was finally able to copy my maestro library to my C drive!!!
Maybe.
I now am having difficulty locating the library on my c drive. Although I want the library on my c drive primarily for storage, I would like to play it from my laptop or by a network player (NAD 7050). Also if possible, I would like to play it from my laptop via usb cable to my stereo. do i need a music management software program to play it? does XBMC provide music management?
Thanks in advance
post #3125 of 3136 Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
App

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
I see the Olive web site is up. I'm hoping that their promised remote app update will work with legacy products.
Hi,

I think it is the same answer as provided with my the statement below (date: 12/20/12)

"Hi,

As I aspected:

Confusion concerning the 4HD

Olive support told me some weeks ago, the new iOS (f.e. on an iPad) will be able to communicate with my old 4HD.

Yesterday Olive suport told me, it works with 4HD but only with the new one.

The great new world with better apps and something is not avaiable for the true blue old customers. They have to struggle with the old absurd software and the old smartphone app which was updated once in 2.5 years."
post #3126 of 3136 Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkrabe View Post
Hi,
Confusion concerning the 4HD

Olive support told me some weeks ago, the new iOS (f.e. on an iPad) will be able to communicate with my old 4HD.

Yesterday Olive suport told me, it works with 4HD but only with the new one.

The great new world with better apps and something is not avaiable for the true blue old customers. They have to struggle with the old absurd software and the old smartphone app which was updated once in 2.5 years."
Why oh why does Olive, a niche player in audio that needs a loyal base, not understand that flipping the finger to current owners of legacy units will be their downfall?
Viritrilbia likes this.

J.Mike
post #3127 of 3136 Old 12-03-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I must be one of many who will NEVER buy Olive again after my 4HD died after less than 3 years service. I don't have the computer nouse to recover it - that's why I chose Olive in the first place! So I warn everyone I know off Olive products.
post #3128 of 3136 Old 12-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbk View Post
clpeterson, thanks for your reply. After several tries I was finally able to copy my maestro library to my C drive!!!
Maybe.
I now am having difficulty locating the library on my c drive. Although I want the library on my c drive primarily for storage, I would like to play it from my laptop or by a network player (NAD 7050). Also if possible, I would like to play it from my laptop via usb cable to my stereo. do i need a music management software program to play it? does XBMC provide music management?
Thanks in advance
Yes (you need music software).

Assuming your files are in FLAC (std Olive format)
then XBMC should see the files, JRiver should see the files, SONOS should see the files and BlueSound should see the files. Those are the ones I am familiar with.

Please note that each of these will build their own library index from the stored music files. So, in the beginning poin the software to your folder and let it build up the library index.

In our case, we locate the main music folder on a time capsule (Apple based system) and everything else can find it there. In particular our Sonos plays from this central folder of files, as does JRiver on a MacBook via USB. Sonos can't do hi-rez, but we have only a very small amount of hi-rez material.
post #3129 of 3136 Old 12-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mike Ferrara View Post
Why oh why does Olive, a niche player in audio that needs a loyal base, not understand that flipping the finger to current owners of legacy units will be their downfall?
How hard can it be to give us an app that works with the older (3yrs) models and provides some basic functionalities?
For me this would be a reason to switch a more reliable brand than Olive, with regrets because I still love my O4HD. But a life circle of 3 years for such an expensive machine, is unexeptable
post #3130 of 3136 Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM
wbk

I don't understand your question---My apps (Olive Media) work quite well on my iPhone and iPad for the o4 and the 06
post #3131 of 3136 Old 12-04-2014, 03:14 PM
wbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Yes (you need music software).

Assuming your files are in FLAC (std Olive format)
then XBMC should see the files, JRiver should see the files, SONOS should see the files and BlueSound should see the files. Those are the ones I am familiar with.

Please note that each of these will build their own library index from the stored music files. So, in the beginning poin the software to your folder and let it build up the library index.

In our case, we locate the main music folder on a time capsule (Apple based system) and everything else can find it there. In particular our Sonos plays from this central folder of files, as does JRiver on a MacBook via USB. Sonos can't do hi-rez, but we have only a very small amount of hi-rez material.
my files on my olives are wac, and the XBMC doesn't see them. in your post you state: "poin the software to your folder" what folder?
What is a main music folder (Itunes?) and a time capsule?
I'll try J river
post #3132 of 3136 Old 12-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
my files on my olives are wac, and the XBMC doesn't see them. in your post you state: "poin the software to your folder" what folder?
What is a main music folder (Itunes?) and a time capsule?
I'll try J river
Did you mean .wav format (typically called wave)? Also, when you said you copied the maestro library to you C drive I assumed you meant the actual music folders/CD's. Did you copy over only the maestro database?

In any event, the .wav file does not contain any meta-information (album title, artist name, artwork, etc.) and so you would have to re-rip your collection. JRiver now supports ripping on both MAC and PC. I would use Apple lossless format or FLAC.

Good luck.
post #3133 of 3136 Old 12-05-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I don't understand your question---My apps (Olive Media) work quite well on my iPhone and iPad for the o4 and the 06
In that case there must be something else wrong. All of my apps from Olive freeze almost immediately. On my iPhone, iPad as well as on my samsung android. This started a month ago and I have re-downloaded and re-installed several times.....
Any ideas anybody?
Thanks
Tim
post #3134 of 3136 Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf62 View Post
In that case there must be something else wrong. All of my apps from Olive freeze almost immediately. On my iPhone, iPad as well as on my samsung android. This started a month ago and I have re-downloaded and re-installed several times.....
Any ideas anybody?
Thanks
Tim
It works on my Android, but not on my new iPhone 6.
Olive turns out crappy SW. They should have been out of business long ago.

J.Mike
post #3135 of 3136 Old 12-05-2014, 02:48 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Maybe.
Thanks in advance
Thank you for your great posts on Olive. I am an Olive 4 victim. I have a huge amount of CD rips in the FLAC format on my Olive 4. I have used the XBMC software on my PC and retrieved my MP3 files but it won't even see my standard Olive FLAC files. Any thoughts on that?
post #3136 of 3136 Old Today, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendonious View Post
Thank you for your great posts on Olive. I am an Olive 4 victim. I have a huge amount of CD rips in the FLAC format on my Olive 4. I have used the XBMC software on my PC and retrieved my MP3 files but it won't even see my standard Olive FLAC files. Any thoughts on that?
That seems odd. Does XBMC find your Olive on the network? - were the MP3 files on the Olive?
Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page