"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
post #3151 of 3178 Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Exactly. 100% agree. Went down the same path. By now the most valuable thing is our music library. We use Sonos (digital out into a dedicated DAC/preamp). Works great. For (very limited) hi-res I use JRiver from a Macbook into the same DAC. Remain unconvinced about the merits of hi-res.
the first 3 years of my Olive 4HD's live was plagued by issues until the last software update. Been really enjoying it for the last couple of years but I am also beginning to prepare for its inevitable demise. I am re-ripping (those that I could not transfer via XBMC) onto Synology DS214 play with JRiver. All new music go onto the NAS in flac first from where I drop it onto the Olive, no sweat. Have an external DAC (Chordette, made meaningful difference) that I play the Olive through and can also connect via USB for laptop although not using that much at the moment.
Pity to see the way Olive is going and cant see the company surviving.
Enjoying and learning from this forum. thanks for sharing your knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3178 Old 01-01-2015, 03:22 AM

Liked: 0
Additional DAC for olive 4hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by surtep View Post
the first 3 years of my Olive 4HD's live was plagued by issues until the last software update. Been really enjoying it for the last couple of years but I am also beginning to prepare for its inevitable demise. I am re-ripping (those that I could not transfer via XBMC) onto Synology DS214 play with JRiver. All new music go onto the NAS in flac first from where I drop it onto the Olive, no sweat. Have an external DAC (Chordette, made meaningful difference) that I play the Olive through and can also connect via USB for laptop although not using that much at the moment.
Pity to see the way Olive is going and cant see the company surviving.
Enjoying and learning from this forum. thanks for sharing your knowledge
Hi

Happy new hear to start with...!

Lucky me, my 4hd is still working, but i am thinking about an extrernal DAC.

Have one of members experience with a DAC and does it influence THE quality in a positieve way? I was thinking about a bmc pure audiodac....

Thanks
Edwin
Holland
post #3153 of 3178 Old 01-01-2015, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Good morning and Happy New Year!!

I have not visited here in a while and still lament the demise of the original Olive music servers: I owned an 04HD and then an 06HD, but when Olive stopped supporting them I moved on: here are some of my experiences:

Olive One: ordered one of these through group funding program and ended up selling it on Ebay: after taking two years to develop, I could not believe how buggy it was. But the sound quality was very good and it is a nice piece: and I understand the apps for IOS and Android are still not fully functional. Too bad because the interface was similar to the original Olives.

Kaleidescape Cinema One: I bought a Kscape system consisting of two Cinema One's and a Disc Vault: I love this system and it serves me quite well as a music server, and also stores and plays BD's. The interface and power of the K are far superior to the Olive: and the audio quality is excellent. Considering a Cinema One is less expensive than an 06HD was, it is worth checking out...and now K has released the Alto system which is less expensive

Sony HAP-Z1ES this is another piece I like a lot: understand its main function is to provide a better user interface to pull audio off a PC: and the sound quality is excellent. I have taken to downloading HD tracks to a PC using JRiver and then listening to them on the HAP ( a very expensive approach!)

DAC/ streamer I use the Marantz NA7004/ 8005 streamers: you could buy the 7004 for $399.00 and at that price it is a bargain: highly recommended

the above are my personal experiences only: and to those of you that still have a working Olive, consider yourself lucky and enjoy

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle

Last edited by markrubin; 01-01-2015 at 04:45 AM.
post #3154 of 3178 Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Thx for posting Mark. I really like the stand-alone format of the Olive 04HD. And it seems to be functioning well (fingers crossed). My NY's resolution is to copy my FLAC files to my PC hard drive in anticipation of a switch to anything but Olive.

I've noticed that the NAD M50 player and M52 vault looks like a winning combo. I'll need to check it out.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #3155 of 3178 Old 01-01-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie1 View Post
Hi

Happy new hear to start with...!

Lucky me, my 4hd is still working, but i am thinking about an extrernal DAC.

Have one of members experience with a DAC and does it influence THE quality in a positieve way? I was thinking about a bmc pure audiodac....

Thanks
Edwin
Holland

Happy New Year Edwin!

The DAC I am using with my Olive is the Chordette Qute HD. It is easy to switch between the Olive internal DAC and the Chord and I often do that. The difference is obvious (the family concurs) with the Chord providing a fuller (soundstage?) and crispier sound. I have not tried any other DAC.

All the best (and let us know your experience with trying different dacs)
Peter
fasteddie1 likes this.
post #3156 of 3178 Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 AM

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your feedback!

Do you happen to know if there are reviews by users of the bmc audiodac in anywhere?
I only see reviews of "professional" users so far...

Thanks
Edwin

Ps: i am enjoying my olive in THE CAVE right now and still working...
post #3157 of 3178 Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! evrybody! I need your help, guys! i tried reinstall system, but it has a problem... i guess my hard drive is broke...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150103_145243.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	457282   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150103_145401.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	457290   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150103_145408.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	457298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150103_194427.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	457306  
post #3158 of 3178 Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubner82 View Post
Hi! evrybody! I need your help, guys! i tried reinstall system, but it has a problem... i guess my hard drive is broke...
by the way I've Olive HD3!
post #3159 of 3178 Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Since yesterday, I am trying out MimimServer software as an audio server. It is uPNP but very adjustable via settings. I am not an expert on classical music but it seems to handle the job very good. Provide the correct tag in the audiofiles with a program like mp3tag and you can set whatever info you want on your player.
For example, the artist field can be filled with "Composer, Conductor, Soloist" or whatever you want.

Instead of showing a long list of tracks or albums, it can also automatically make an alphabetical list. It can disregard some words like "the" when sorting, so "The Beatles" will show up again under the B and not the T. With the correct settings and tags, "Richard Thompson" will be shown but ordered as "Thompson, Richard"

I was planning anyway to go through my library again to correct tags in all my audio files, so with some small extra tagging (most of them automated via mp3tag) I can maintain the good things from Olive, while the data keeps with my files and not in a seperate database that is gone with the unit....

Gertjan

Last edited by GJ1970; 01-04-2015 at 11:58 AM.
post #3160 of 3178 Old 01-04-2015, 08:34 PM

I appreciate all the guidance I've gleaned off this thread and have been able to copy files from my Olive 4HD to an external drive. Based off of the aforementioned comments, I downloaded and am using XBMC 12.3, and am able to see and copy files from my Olive to the drive. However, when I view the tracks I copied, they all show up as a File Type: File. As a result, the copied files don't play. Did I miss a step or is there a bulk rename utility to rename them to .flac? They were all ripped as flac files initially.

Thanks in advance for your help
post #3161 of 3178 Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie1 View Post
Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your feedback!

Do you happen to know if there are reviews by users of the bmc audiodac in anywhere?
I only see reviews of "professional" users so far...

Thanks
Edwin

Ps: i am enjoying my olive in THE CAVE right now and still working...
Seems like one serious dac you are looking at... you may want to visit computeraudiophile.com for users of this dac. Good luck!
post #3162 of 3178 Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnoff View Post
I appreciate all the guidance I've gleaned off this thread and have been able to copy files from my Olive 4HD to an external drive. Based off of the aforementioned comments, I downloaded and am using XBMC 12.3, and am able to see and copy files from my Olive to the drive. However, when I view the tracks I copied, they all show up as a File Type: File. As a result, the copied files don't play. Did I miss a step or is there a bulk rename utility to rename them to .flac? They were all ripped as flac files initially.

Thanks in advance for your help
Yes, that is the behavior of XBMC (the flac extension is stripped).
Yes, there are simple ways to bulk rename the files (add an extension) - I did this using the simple 'automator' function built into Macs. Pretty self-explantory when you launch it, try it on a few copies of the files first.
post #3163 of 3178 Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Liked: 11
Sick and tired of this machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubner82 View Post
Had a musica, then got a 4hd in the trade in program. I think it just fried its 3rd HD. This one lasted almost 3 years!!! I got skipping, then she died and the frozen display as depicted above.

I have spend way too much time over the years. I have back up. I hope I can get the play lists back on another machine. Many hours spend making Them!!!!

I have got to move on!! I need to get a good way to get whats on the back up (20,000 songs and about 30 playlists!!!). I'm really not as savvy as many of you and quite frankly burnt out from this machine and the amount of money Olive has sucked from me over the years. I can't believe this machine has been as problematic. The disc drive went out a long time go.

Started just loading them via network an I thought at was the cure for no bad files. Recently it does this "MP3 file in use" crap.

Sorry to vent but I need to move on. Can I pay someone to load my Olive back up onto another format and simply load it on a new machine? Even an olive one might be the answer!!!! Im ranting, Im frustrated!!!! **** this machine and **** me for believing in Olive!!!!
post #3164 of 3178 Old 01-10-2015, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 22
That's a shame, Nalod. A frozen, broken hard disk is to be expected sooner or later. Just look for some Linux knowledge in your neighbourhood. Ten to one the only real problem is some software havock, and even if the hardware is malfunctioning, that can be mended.

For me, such behaviour is a challenge.

Marc

Last edited by mumsoft; 01-10-2015 at 12:02 PM.
post #3165 of 3178 Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Good morning and Happy New Year!!

I have not visited here in a while and still lament the demise of the original Olive music servers: I owned an 04HD and then an 06HD, but when Olive stopped supporting them I moved on: here are some of my experiences:

Olive One: ordered one of these through group funding program and ended up selling it on Ebay: after taking two years to develop, I could not believe how buggy it was. But the sound quality was very good and it is a nice piece: and I understand the apps for IOS and Android are still not fully functional. Too bad because the interface was similar to the original Olives.

Kaleidescape Cinema One: I bought a Kscape system consisting of two Cinema One's and a Disc Vault: I love this system and it serves me quite well as a music server, and also stores and plays BD's. The interface and power of the K are far superior to the Olive: and the audio quality is excellent. Considering a Cinema One is less expensive than an 06HD was, it is worth checking out...and now K has released the Alto system which is less expensive

Sony HAP-Z1ES this is another piece I like a lot: understand its main function is to provide a better user interface to pull audio off a PC: and the sound quality is excellent. I have taken to downloading HD tracks to a PC using JRiver and then listening to them on the HAP ( a very expensive approach!)

DAC/ streamer I use the Marantz NA7004/ 8005 streamers: you could buy the 7004 for $399.00 and at that price it is a bargain: highly recommended

the above are my personal experiences only: and to those of you that still have a working Olive, consider yourself lucky and enjoy
Very similar experience to Mark. We still have one working Olive (the 04HD); the 06HD was sold (in perfect working order) on Audiogon.
At our main home we now use Sonos. I was lucky to get a friends and family discount, but Sonos is a great value regardless. The main system uses the digital out of a Sonos connected into a OPPO HA-1 DAC/ headphone amp/pre-amp. Highly recommended, btw. Of course, the analog out of the Sonos is quite good as well.
All music was pulled off the Olive via XBMC and is now on a Time Capsule using JRiver to manage the library This all works very well. For our limited hi-res collection I use a Macbook running JRiver into the USB port of the OPPO.
But 98% of the time it is Sonos as the source. Very easy to run multiple zones; the kids have Play1's in their rooms rather than TV's. All good.

A very good alternative, hi-res ready, is BlueSound.

Olive could have been great, but missed it.
post #3166 of 3178 Old 01-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
Had a musica, then got a 4hd in the trade in program. I think it just fried its 3rd HD. This one lasted almost 3 years!!! I got skipping, then she died and the frozen display as depicted above.

I have spend way too much time over the years. I have back up. I hope I can get the play lists back on another machine. Many hours spend making Them!!!!

I have got to move on!! I need to get a good way to get whats on the back up (20,000 songs and about 30 playlists!!!). I'm really not as savvy as many of you and quite frankly burnt out from this machine and the amount of money Olive has sucked from me over the years. I can't believe this machine has been as problematic. The disc drive went out a long time go.

Started just loading them via network an I thought at was the cure for no bad files. Recently it does this "MP3 file in use" crap.

Sorry to vent but I need to move on. Can I pay someone to load my Olive back up onto another format and simply load it on a new machine? Even an olive one might be the answer!!!! Im ranting, Im frustrated!!!! **** this machine and **** me for believing in Olive!!!!
Have you done a lot of editing via Olive Maestro? if not, you should try mounting the back-up hard drive as Linux drive (lots of free-ware out there, for Macs try FUSE). Then all the folders will be visible but they will have hex-numeric file names (like 12A6DD42, etc.) But they will be readable by other software programs such as JRiver or XBMC, Use those to create another library file and edit the tags as needed. Maestro edits only go into the Olive library database, not back into the actual music file tags (JRiver for example puts everything back into the tag). Having good tags is essential to having a portable library.
post #3167 of 3178 Old 01-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Have you done a lot of editing via Olive Maestro? if not, you should try mounting the back-up hard drive as Linux drive (lots of free-ware out there, for Macs try FUSE). Then all the folders will be visible but they will have hex-numeric file names (like 12A6DD42, etc.) But they will be readable by other software programs such as JRiver or XBMC, Use those to create another library file and edit the tags as needed. Maestro edits only go into the Olive library database, not back into the actual music file tags (JRiver for example puts everything back into the tag). Having good tags is essential to having a portable library.
Hi,

Anyone who knows what the USB-port of an Olive 4 spits out, musically speaking? I don't have an USB DAC but I might buy one. I already sold my DacMagic, which wasn't any better than the internal dac, after some fiddling
I searched the update notes but could not find it. Some update must have changed the USB port, so that it could be used with a DAC.

Thx,
Marc
post #3168 of 3178 Old 01-16-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Hi,

Anyone who knows what the USB-port of an Olive 4 spits out, musically speaking? I don't have an USB DAC but I might buy one. I already sold my DacMagic, which wasn't any better than the internal dac, after some fiddling
I searched the update notes but could not find it. Some update must have changed the USB port, so that it could be used with a DAC.

Thx,
Marc
I have never looked at the USB output for music on the HD series, but I am pretty sure it is not for music, only music loads and back-ups.

However, why use USB when other digital outs are availble? (are they on the earlier version?). The Coax or optical outputs in PCM fomat are preferred in general for decoding (less overhead than asynchronous USB)
post #3169 of 3178 Old 01-16-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have never looked at the USB output for music on the HD series, but I am pretty sure it is not for music, only music loads and back-ups.

However, why use USB when other digital outs are availble? (are they on the earlier version?). The Coax or optical outputs in PCM fomat are preferred in general for decoding (less overhead than asynchronous USB)
You're quite right. In general... But I'm pretty sure that the USB port also can be used with an USB-DAC, I remember me trying that with my (now absent) DacMagic. But the DacMagic was constraint in itself, by max 16 bit and if I recall correctly, max 48Khz.

It's just that I'm interested in the Meridian's development of MQA (Master Quality Assurance), and they have currently only an USB-dac (meant for computers), the Explorer II.
Well, maybe I should wait anyway.
But I still like to know what comes out of the Olive 4 at the USB-port.

Marc
post #3170 of 3178 Old 01-18-2015, 08:57 AM

Hello. I'm new here but have had an Olive O4HD for the best part of 4 years. I guess that I have been relatively lucky looking at some of the problems and issues other owners have experienced. Mine have been sorted out with software and firmware updates. Until now! 2 weeks ago it was stuck on the "System Starting Up, Please Wait" white screen. I carried out soft and hard resets to no avail and then contacted Olive by email 3 times before I received an answer. They sent me the necessary links to perform a hard drive recovery and software reinstall and apart from a compatibility issue with my Mac computer all seemed to go well with the 4HD functioning once again. The following day I set about restoring my music from a back up hard drive. The system seemed to hang longer than usual on the Start Up screen but eventually booted up but showing an SDA I/O error message. I was not happy spending time on a restoration process if things were not as they should be so I performed a soft reset and switched the unit off. When switching on again I was greeted with the everlasting Start Up Screen once again as before. Switched off and opened up the Olive to check hard drive connections which seemed to be OK. As I write I am performing another Recovery and Reinstall but I have a sneaky suspicion that all is not well with the hard drive but I will welcome any other suggestions. The hard drive is a WD20EVDS which does not seem to be available anymore but maybe that's a good thing judging by some of the reviews I have read. So my question is, can anybody recommend an alternative hard drive of the same or better spec. I am not a techie and my knowledge of IT is very limited, all of it learnt on a need to know basis but I am determined to fix this as when it was working I was very happy with the sound playing through an alternative DAC and convenience. Apologies for a sowewhat rambling first post but I wanted to get as much detail across as possible.

Thanks
Gary
post #3171 of 3178 Old 01-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

A green HD with a slow speed will do. Not a fast 7200 rpm thing. Take also one that draws as few watts as possible.

Marc
clpetersen likes this.
post #3172 of 3178 Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
A green HD with a slow speed will do. Not a fast 7200 rpm thing. Take also one that draws as few watts as possible.

Marc
Agre with Marc. if you search this thread for my posts, you will a detail on how I replaced the HD on an 06HD, with no issues.
Basically, I used a 5400 rpm 'green' drive for its low noise and vibration (the data rate far exceeds anything you would need for music playback), and taking it one step further, paid a little more for a 2.5" notebook drive which I then put inside a 2.5" to 3.5" converter/enclosure ('Icy Hot' was the enclosure I choose). The 2.5" drive consumes very little energy (= less heat), is the quitest drive, and the addtional enclosure renders the unit virtually noiseless.

As I recall, I used a Western Digital green notebook drive, but there are many good choices.
post #3173 of 3178 Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

I really appreciate your replies. I have also had a reply from Olive who say that it is either the HDD or the Motherboard. I wonder if people here experienced an SDA I/O error message before they replaced their HDD and whether it cured the issue? An HDD replacement would be a more cost effective repair. Olive have also offered me a p/x on the new Olive One but I am not sure. Does anybody here have the One and if so I'd be very interested to here what they think of it. I am open to any suggestions.

Gary
post #3174 of 3178 Old 01-19-2015, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

I have seen many SDA I/O errors. That was when I had the habit to take out the HD to make backups. It always meant that I had to revert to the previous backup, because the database zDB could not be trusted anymore. I was always editing it.
The reason was not a faulty HD nor a faulty motherboard, but a loose or lousy cable. The cable suffered a bit too much of this habit.

Nowadays I don't have to take out the HD and I have renewed the cable. Gone are the errors.

After 4 years of faultless operation it could still be the cable, suffering from all the tiny vibrations.
But the HD itself could also be at fault, as well as the MB. Just... check.

Marc
post #3175 of 3178 Old 01-20-2015, 01:50 AM

Thanks Marc. It's strange because immediately after performing a recovery & reinstall procedure it's fine allowing me to rip CD's and play them back, in fact the first time it was a bit of a eureka moment until the next day when rebooting the unit it would hang too long on the Start Up screen and soon after the menu screen came up the SDA I/O error would appear followed by a loading symbol if asked to do something and then it would lock up. This sequence of events has happened twice now so I won't bother with another recovery & reinstall until I have changed something.

If you keep doing the same thing the same way expect the same result as they say.

Gary
post #3176 of 3178 Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwills View Post

If you keep doing the same thing the same way expect the same result as they say.

Gary
That's just what I'm doing everyday, and still, after a while, problems occur, and teh result is not what one can expect.

In your case, first check the hard disk. It's 4 years old, you'd better change it, but first try to repair it. Check sda2, sda3, and sda5 with fsck (from Linux). Big chance there is something wrong with one of these partitions, and maybe fsck can repair it.
Both sda2 and sda3 contain a copy of the OS, only one of them is in use. sda5 is the so called cfg partition, which can also go bezirk. I have changed something so that sda5 is fscked every time the unit boots, and that proved te be a healthy measure.

good luck.

Marc
post #3177 of 3178 Old 01-20-2015, 09:17 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for the response.

I do use Maestro mostly to edit.

Much of the language relating to the software is above my understanding. What I do understand is the time and error that occurs with entering areas above my pay grade.

A shame Olive doe not post a phone number and work thru problems, and then decide if we should ship the unit. I had great service experience despite my frustration. The until display was freezing but it worked fine when it unfroze and of course maestro and the phone app worked great!!! At least it did not fail on me during my new years eve party!!!!

I have been ripping from my laptop via iTunes mostly from E-music purchase's and I thought previously I had more trouble with CD's loading and bad files from that. Ok, that was then. The CD drive has been busted for some time as well.

Am I naive to think they can get my drive transferred to a new flash drive and live happily ever after? Do they stilll repair the machines?
post #3178 of 3178 Unread Today, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
Olive 6 experience

I bought an Olive 6 a couple of years ago. Bad idea. The first time it broke, Olive fixed it under warranty. The second time, after a little more than a year, Olive informed me that they were too busy with new products and no longer provided support for the 6. Like many of you, I was extremely disappointed that Olive had such little regard for its customers. Even when the 6 was working, the Maestro software was a nightmare--put most of my classical recordings under "unknown artist", crashed when I was trying to edit, etc. Fortunately, I bought the 6 with a Visa card that doubled the manufacturer's warranty. After lots of questions and many phone calls, Visa gave me a credit to by a comparable product. I bought the Naim Unitiserve, which was about the same price as the Olive 6. The Unitiserve has been a pleasure to use. The sound is great, the software works smoothly and the few times I've needed support, Naim has been extremely helpful. While there are occasional bugs, they are rare and easily fixed. The Unitiserve does require a DAC (I bought an Auralic Vega which drove up the total cost).

Olive has delivered a message to its customers-- they just don't care if you invested several thousand dollars in their product, they will not support you. I would never buy another Olive product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page