"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 107 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
post #3181 of 3183 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
day 2.

Its not starting up again. No split screen. Just that dumbass white screen!!!

Going to go into the abyss of attempting a recovery.
I have little confidence in my backup. I do it every couple of months. Anything not on their is on my computer except perhaps some playlist editing. I usually do a back up when I do a lot of work.
Why unconfident??? Well, this machine eats time.
I know some of you have a good handle on how to move forward beyond the machine. I just have so much vested in time on this machine.
IN fact, I hope the restore works because I see the future and its a ONE machine!!!! $300 for a motherboard vs. $450 for a discounted ONE.
Seems its not a matter of if but WHEN.
I love/Hate this machine.
In a world where I have a housefull of Apple products this kind of malfunction seems so outdated. I know many of you are very good in and around software and data and while Im not Noob, I just find the task of spending hour upon hour for music to be a frivolous use of time.

I have one playlist with about 1,000 songs that just makes life so good. That one list that has the songs of a lifetime............ I hope this list makes it!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3183 Old Yesterday, 09:42 AM
wbk

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Very similar experience to Mark. We still have one working Olive (the 04HD); the 06HD was sold (in perfect working order) on Audiogon.
At our main home we now use Sonos. I was lucky to get a friends and family discount, but Sonos is a great value regardless. The main system uses the digital out of a Sonos connected into a OPPO HA-1 DAC/ headphone amp/pre-amp. Highly recommended, btw. Of course, the analog out of the Sonos is quite good as well.
All music was pulled off the Olive via XBMC and is now on a Time Capsule using JRiver to manage the library This all works very well. For our limited hi-res collection I use a Macbook running JRiver into the USB port of the OPPO.
But 98% of the time it is Sonos as the source. Very easy to run multiple zones; the kids have Play1's in their rooms rather than TV's. All good.

A very good alternative, hi-res ready, is BlueSound.

Olive could have been great, but missed it.

CJP, Thanks to you I was able to transfer my Olive Library to the C drive of XBMC. I am assuming that I can't play the files directly from XBMC, but rather need a music management software such as JRiver. You mention above that your music is now on a "time capsule using JRiver". Can you please explain how to do this./
post #3183 of 3183 Unread Today, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbk View Post
CJP, Thanks to you I was able to transfer my Olive Library to the C drive of XBMC. I am assuming that I can't play the files directly from XBMC, but rather need a music management software such as JRiver. You mention above that your music is now on a "time capsule using JRiver". Can you please explain how to do this./
In fact you should be able to play them from XBMC. In my case, and others, esp. using XBMC on a Mac, the file extensions after transfer were missing - i.e. song.flac became just song. It is easy to batch rename the files and add back the .flac. I assume you are past this point.

So, you should now have a portable music library. XBMC or JRIver or Sonos, etc., can all play it. In each case, each software will need to create its own library index. This is much like a traditional library - you have the books, and each music server program will create its own set of library index cards so that the books can be organized and located.

Does this make sense?

I just put my 'books' into a directory on a Time Capsule. Both Jriver and Sonos play from this directory, each forming its own set of index cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page