"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 108 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports > "Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD

CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

clpetersen's Avatar clpetersen
08:16 AM Liked: 26
post #3211 of 3227
02-08-2015 | Posts: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalod View Post
My Olive dilema is taking shape.

If One is an object failure, my cost is reasonable and I will be ready for the next adventure. Like I said, Olive in my opinon has had my back within reason. Maybe the "third time is the charm"?
I'll keep the faithful and the doubters posted.
It is good to hear that Olive is taking this approach. Perhaps they are turning the corner. Let us know how the data transfer works out.
stebro's Avatar stebro
02:33 PM Liked: 13
post #3212 of 3227
02-09-2015 | Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbk View Post
Were you able to transfer your library from the Olive to the Naim? If so, how?
Sorry to say that I was not able to transfer my library to the Naim. I did have it backed up but the Olive system is proprietary and not compatable with other systems as far as I know--unlike the Naim backup system which is not proprietary. I started again from scratch with the Naim but now have over a thousand CDs on it and backed up on an external hard drive. By the way, another advantage of the Naim which I really like is that you can listen to one CD while ripping another. With the Olive, I always had to choose whether to listen to music or rip music. Also, the Naim recognizes more than 95% of CDs from the metadata, which was not my experience with Olive, the Naim does not fragment classical music by putting one movement of a symphony under "unknown artist" or some other such thing, and Naim makes it easy to edit the information about a CD including the cover picture from an iPhone or iPad (and I think on and Android device).
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft
03:39 PM Liked: 23
post #3213 of 3227
02-09-2015 | Posts: 827
Doesn't have the Naim an import function? Most people have their cd library ready for import, with all or almost all tags filled. That is called a portable library.
Even the Olive could be fed with that.

When I had just one Olive 4, I used to rip and play at the same time. Seldom was this a problem.
Also, ripping cd's seldom resulted in broken albums. I have ripped now about 3000 cd's.

Marc
stebro's Avatar stebro
09:15 PM Liked: 13
post #3214 of 3227
02-11-2015 | Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Doesn't have the Naim an import function? Most people have their cd library ready for import, with all or almost all tags filled. That is called a portable library.
Even the Olive could be fed with that.

When I had just one Olive 4, I used to rip and play at the same time. Seldom was this a problem.
Also, ripping cd's seldom resulted in broken albums. I have ripped now about 3000 cd's.

Marc
I had an Olive 6 and I know for sure you couldn't rip and play discs at the same time. Was the Olive 4 different? Also, I mostly listen to classical music and the majority of my recordings were fragmented as I previously described. I asked Olive about this (back when they had someone to ask) and they acknowledged the problem and said that Classical music was very difficult to deal with in programming. They suggested using Media Monkey instead of Maestro. I pointed out that my car has a hard disc and, when I rip classical music on it, the recordings are correctly identified and are not fragmented. Never understood why the Olive 6 and Olive Maestro software were inferior to my car in this regard. As for the portable library, I'm not much of a technical expert so maybe that's something I missed. If so, it's too bad because it could have saved me many hours of burning discs on the Naim Unitiserve that already had been burned on the Olive 6.
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft
01:50 AM Liked: 23
post #3215 of 3227
02-12-2015 | Posts: 827
Really... gush!
I'm still ripping classical cd's on my Olive 4. I can always find them somewhere in the album section. I don't look for them in the genre part, mostly they are hidden there in Other with some quirk subgenre. If they have several 'artists', I can imagine the scattering around. BTW most scattering occur with importing i.m.h.o.
With maestro I edit them to behave correctly.

When ripping, playing another album is no problem. Playing the same cd isn't possible. Maybe that's my mistake.

Marc
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft
04:22 AM Liked: 23
post #3216 of 3227
02-12-2015 | Posts: 827
What I don't get, if you use Mediamonkey, you do have a 'portable' music collection on your pc. Or am I wrong?

Marc
wbk's Avatar wbk
11:04 AM Liked: 10
post #3217 of 3227
02-23-2015 | Posts: 290
Help! The navigation screen on my 06 is not working. When I turn the main power (rear) switch off, then back on, I usually get a split screen (White upper half and black lower half) When i hold down the sleep/wake button with the main power switch on the unit turns off, then back on but locks on the white screen. When I press the left arrow for several seconds nothing happens.
I can still play music under the control of my Ipad but, obviously, I need to navigate to be able to rip, restore, etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is it possible to contact Olive directly?

Warren
wbk's Avatar wbk
11:29 AM Liked: 10
post #3218 of 3227
02-23-2015 | Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
In fact you should be able to play them from XBMC. In my case, and others, esp. using XBMC on a Mac, the file extensions after transfer were missing - i.e. song.flac became just song. It is easy to batch rename the files and add back the .flac. I assume you are past this point.

So, you should now have a portable music library. XBMC or JRIver or Sonos, etc., can all play it. In each case, each software will need to create its own library index. This is much like a traditional library - you have the books, and each music server program will create its own set of library index cards so that the books can be organized and located.

Does this make sense?

I just put my 'books' into a directory on a Time Capsule. Both Jriver and Sonos play from this directory, each forming its own set of index cards.
how do I batch rename the files and add back the flac?
mumsoft's Avatar mumsoft
01:56 PM Liked: 23
post #3219 of 3227
02-23-2015 | Posts: 827
Quote:
I can still play music under the control of my Ipad but, obviously, I need to navigate to be able to rip, restore, etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Warren
Quite simple. With http://opus/olive_opus.php on your pc of course. Replace opus with the ip-address of your Olive and give it a try.

Marc
wbk's Avatar wbk
04:03 PM Liked: 10
post #3220 of 3227
02-24-2015 | Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraudioguru View Post
alberz...THANK YOU for the mention about backing up on itunes! I'm really not an "i"user and didn't know about this. My nephew gave me his old iphone 3GS when he bought a new iphone 5S. I am using the 3GS strictly as a remote for my Olive 04HD and Squeezebox units via wifi.

I'm so glad you posted this. I immediately plugged my 3GS into my computer and backed it up, so hopefully I won't have the same problem that polarbear is going through.

Thanks again!
mraudioguru, how did you back up your phone with the app using your computer?
wbk's Avatar wbk
04:06 PM Liked: 10
post #3221 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by wschr1 View Post
I was not able to make any backups as per the instructions in the manual. And I also wanted to see how I could change the O6HD to be directly connected to 220V. I found some pictures on the internet and that just showed a switch inside the player. So I contacted Olive…………hahaha. Filling the form on their site and calling them was without any answer so no success at all. So like many of you I got irritated ant posted a message on their facebook page for the Olive One since there is some communication. Well I got a reply and help, so that was a good restart. Changing the Olive to 220V was indeed very simple by the switch inside, and I was informed that I also needed to change the fuses. I checked but the fuses were already all for 250V so no replacement needed. So after this simple mod I connected the power………..and voila now it is running on 220V.

The rest of the story is a little more complicated, and I will try to make it not that long. I was given all kinds of suggestions/tricks from Olive to make a backup, and meanwhile I also discovered that there was an older software version installed and I was no able to update that, and the folder to download music to was nowhere to be found on my laptop/network. Also whatever I tried it looked that the USB connection was not responding. So after a week of help and suggestions I got informed that it was best to reinstall all the software on the player…………..very scary because if not correct then no more music from my Olive.

First of all you have to do the thing with formatting your USB stick and external hard drive for FAT32. Well that is not so easy if you are a Windows7 user. Via this link I found some very good options: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ive-to-fat-32/ I first tried the old fashioned DOS option………….after an hour no success and told me the drive was too large. I tried one of the programs that was referred to in the link Verbatim SmartDisk FAT32 Utility. And this one really does the job and very quick for both the memory stick and the hard disk. The problem with my Olive was that it did not give me any feedback if it could not read a USB device, probably because part of the software was corrupt.

Now I had to perform the following steps, which was very scary to be honest……..but I did it:

Step 1: Simply download both of the following files and copy them BOTH onto a USB stick. The USB stick must be formatted in standard DOS Format (FAT32). Simply copy the file from your download folder to the USB stick. Note that you should not double-click the downloaded file in your computer's download folder.
• USB Recovery Image for Olive6HD 4.3.0 | Date: 11/07/12 | http://downloads.olive.us/recovery/o...RecoveryCD.img
• ODB image version 1.3.2 | 10/21/09 | http://downloads.olive.us/recovery/ODBInstall.tar.gz

Step 2: As a next step please turn off your Olive music server, press BOTH the CENTER and the DOWN button simultaneously and turn it on. Once the message on the LCD prompts you to insert the USB stick, please do so. The Software Update will automatically install and your Olive music server will restart after this process is complete. This process may take up to 90 minutes to finalize. Once your Olive has progressed beyond the "System starting up" screen, the process is complete.

Step 3: Please make sure to update your music server to the latest software again BEFORE you restore your music backup. And YES the URL is no longer valid so you also have to do this from USB memory stick.

Well this whole process takes rather long so please be aware if you also attempt to do it. It takes about 30 minutes to see the recovery progress, you should see a bar on your screen going slowly to 100%. After that the system will show ‘system starting up’ for about another 30 minutes, just wait and don’t restart anything. After that step is finished the screen will show ‘finalizing recovery’, no idea how long that took but a least also 30 minutes because that time I went outside to get some fresh air.......haha. But it all worked and really did the trick. No all is working on my Olive and I also have the download folder available on my computer.

As a last step in my hifi upgrade I bought a power amp since that could be connected to the Olive via balanced output. I got myself the Musical Fidelity AMS35p Class A amp. This combination really sounds amazing and very impressive, I never heard my music like this before.

I hope my adventure and help from Olive can assist some of you that also have problems with their Olive equipment.

By the way I have my MF A1008 amp and upgraded Sonos player now for sale, so if anybody is interested then send me a message, or go to Marktplaats.
do you remember if the fuses were 2 amp slow blow (in addition to the 220v)?
wbk's Avatar wbk
04:13 PM Liked: 10
post #3222 of 3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
Quite simple. With http://opus/olive_opus.php on your pc of course. Replace opus with the ip-address of your Olive and give it a try.

Marc
Thanks Marc, it worked, kind of. The screen is still split - black at bottom with functions and all black at top. But the bottom can be touch-activated and of course I can activate the entire screen/functions with my computer.

You can also gain control of the screen by going to 192.168.1.XXX/index.php where xxx is the unique part of the address for your 06.
04:57 AM Liked: 26
post #3223 of 3227
02-25-2015 | Posts: 227
Quote:
do you remember if the fuses were 2 amp slow blow (in addition to the 220v)?
Although the original 110V fuses are rated for 250V (almost all are), you should still replace the fuses to ones with 1/2 of the original current rating. The power used is voltage X current; by going to 220V y0u doubled the voltage, so the current will be 1/2. This is just for the proper protection and to prevent a fire in case of a major failure. Yes, slow-blow fuses are generally a good idea. Even better are ones labelled 'slow-blow, high capacity'. They have extra protection against a partial 'blow'.

Do not buy anything labeled 'audiophile'.

Glad the recovery worked; I had done the same on the our 06HD.
wbk's Avatar wbk
09:12 AM Liked: 10
post #3224 of 3227
02-25-2015 | Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by clpetersen View Post
Although the original 110V fuses are rated for 250V (almost all are), you should still replace the fuses to ones with 1/2 of the original current rating. The power used is voltage X current; by going to 220V y0u doubled the voltage, so the current will be 1/2. This is just for the proper protection and to prevent a fire in case of a major failure. Yes, slow-blow fuses are generally a good idea. Even better are ones labelled 'slow-blow, high capacity'. They have extra protection against a partial 'blow'.

Do not buy anything labeled 'audiophile'.

Glad the recovery worked; I had done the same on the our 06HD.
clpeterson, I believe your reply above was directed to mraudioguru - not to me. I have a US version of the 06 and have had to replace the fuses twice. The first time I went to a electronics shop and had them remove the torx crews (I do not have the proper tool) and replace them with regular machine screws. The fuses shipped with the unit from olive are 2 amp slo blow, rated at 250 volts and that's what i used for the replacements.
10:46 AM Liked: 26
post #3225 of 3227
Yesterday | Posts: 227
Quote:
how do I batch rename the files and add back the flac?
Hello wbk - there are numerous ways to do this. Are you using Mac or PC? On a Mac there is a function called Automator (in the utilities folder). Within Automator is a function to add or change a filename extension.

Copy a few files into a test directory, practice on the copies until you get the results you want, then do the main directory. Should only take a few minutes.
10:50 AM Liked: 26
post #3226 of 3227
Yesterday | Posts: 227
Quote:
clpeterson, I believe your reply above was directed to mraudioguru - not to me. I have a US version of the 06 and have had to replace the fuses twice. The first time I went to a electronics shop and had them remove the torx crews (I do not have the proper tool) and replace them with regular machine screws. The fuses shipped with the unit from olive are 2 amp slo blow, rated at 250 volts and that's what i used for the replacements.
Got it. Looks like it was an embedded thread form a European poster. Regarding the screws, FYI, you can purchase a set of 'tamperproof' bits from Amazon or other sources for a few $ that will handle these types of Torx as well as many other types of speciality fasteners that manufacturers like to use. For future reference. Home Depot and Lowes also stock these sets of bits.
Joshnich
06:52 PM Liked: 0
post #3227 of 3227
Today | Posts: 2
if anyone here is interested. They can have my 06hd for the cost of shipping. The unit still works via iPad control but I cannot get the screen to work. I'm sure someone who knows something about computers can get it to work or at least harvest the DAC or other useable parts. I've moved on to a Mac mini based server so I do not have a use for the olive.

I can be reached at joshnich at mac dot com if you're interested.

I hate to just toss it!

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Subscribe to this Thread