"Official" Olive Thread Opus 4, Opus 6, Melody 2, Olive 2, Olive 4/ 4HD, 06HD - Page 111 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
post #3301 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 25
An Olive is a Linux pc. It uses a hard disk intensively to do its thing.
My Olives have shown too many times the ever lasting boot-up screen, and there always was some nasty file in the 5th partition that caused the peril.
Then repairing this partition with fsck was enough to let the music flow.
Of course there can be numerous causes for this behaviour, but a recovery would be my last resort.

Since my Olives do the check proactively at every boot, they behave much more reliable.

It takes some guts, opening the unit, getting hold on something of a Linux pc (knoppix comes to mind) or at least a way to do the check, but it is worth the effort.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was able to get my hands on a second hand Olive2 and Olive 3HD.
I want to change the harddisk, but I don' really see how to remove the cover. The screws on the side and one on the bottom are removed, but cover and bottom are still stuck. Did anyone succeed in this or knows how to remove the top?

Btw, when we talk about the 4HD on this forum, do we mean the old 4HD or the new 4HD? (Thank you Olive for naming 2 different products the same name within 2-3 years)

Thanks in advance!
Gertjan
post #3303 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
I was able to get my hands on a second hand Olive2 and Olive 3HD.
I want to change the harddisk, but I don' really see how to remove the cover. The screws on the side and one on the bottom are removed, but cover and bottom are still stuck. Did anyone succeed in this or knows how to remove the top?

Thanks in advance!
Gertjan
I have seen how a friend of me opened his O3HD. It was not as easy as it is for an Olive4. As I recall correctly, you have also to loose the screws of the powercord-entry (my English is velly bad) . If you like, I'll ask him to describe it in Dutch. But try first.

Marc
post #3304 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumsoft View Post
I have seen how a friend of me opened his O3HD. It was not as easy as it is for an Olive4. As I recall correctly, you have also to loose the screws of the powercord-entry (my English is velly bad) . If you like, I'll ask him to describe it in Dutch. But try first.

Marc
With a lot of carefull force, I was able to lift the cover a bit. With that, There is little acces but enough to disconnect the power connector. On the front there are 2 delicate ribbons to the LCD screen and buttons. The olive 4 connections where more robust, although it was taped..

Since I was used to the 4, the recovery is new to me. I forgot to download the ODBInstall part. So thanks very much for the just created manual! The problem was found very easy, including the link, which is missing on the olive.us site.

If the install works, I will open the complete unit (I just switched the wires on the harddisk) and make some pictures, including the info to open up the unit.
post #3305 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateli View Post
Hello guys!
I'm having issues with my Olive O6HD concerning the startup. It shows the white screen of the system starting up and that's it. It doesn't come out of this. I tried the tips included in the instructions but no success

I also tried restoring the Ovile using the methods that the FAQ oriented (trough USB recovery and CD) and the image downloaded on the Olive website is broken and I cannot burn it into the CD.
I managed to get the (please insert the usb stick) screen but it didnt recognized the flash drive. apparently everything is OK but no success...
Is there any other alternative to resolve this issue?

Cheers!
Both files should be on the usb stick. I forgot one on the usb stick and nothing happened. Also do not forget to to format the usb stick to FAT32 with 4096 bytes default clustering.
Good Luck!
post #3306 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Olive 04HD is not working

Hi Experts,

I've done pretty much everything I could and still no clue why is not working.

My 04HD hangs on Starting up.

I've tried USB recovery but after I insert USB stick nothing happens. I did all as mentioned in your guide. Finally I tried CD recovery and it started and after 10 second says that Hard Disk recovery failed. I've checked the hard drive by connection to PC (win). It was recognized correctly so I've deleted partitions but it didn't help. I've replaced with new hard drive but it didn't help either. Olive support is not answering my emails.

Questions:
1.) Why do you think USB is not working
2.) Is it possible to connect my 04HD to some video (monitor) and check how is booting?

I'll be appreciated for any help.

Cheers,
sebastian
post #3307 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ1970 View Post
If the install works, I will open the complete unit (I just switched the wires on the harddisk) and make some pictures, including the info to open up the unit.
That was rather painless :
The Olive 3HD has now a 2 TB harddisk, without too much trouble.
I made some pictures of the inside and put my experience in a document for later use. I wanted to post it here but the limit is 20kb...

I only forgot that the Olive does not import all tags and that the albums are listed on alphabet, instead of year... So I think that ill keep my NAS audio server up and running

Last edited by GJ1970; Today at 03:17 AM.
post #3308 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello again.

I followed the exact steps about the recovery process via the USB port with a stick and my Olive don't recognize it at all
the "insert the USB stick now" keeps stil on the screen and the restoring process don't begin.

I tried burning the recovery CD image but in every program it says that the disc image is corrupt and can't read it nor burn.

Is there any other suggestion that might solve my problem:

Cheers
post #3309 of 3314 Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fateli View Post
I tried burning the recovery CD image but in every program it says that the disc image is corrupt and can't read it nor burn.
The "cd image" for the Hd models is not for burning them on cd. Probably a left over from the 4 model. Can you confirm that both files are on the usb stick? The usb stick is FAT32 with 4096 bytes clusters?
post #3310 of 3314 Unread Today, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, right.
I think of making a document about my backup-method. I have described it in this thread, will look it up.
That takes some time though.
Anyway, I make backups so that the backup disk can be mounted in an Olive, and works right away. No tedious restore process.

Marc
Hi Marc,

I ran fsck on my original Olive disk and it found errors on partition 2 and 3, none on partition 5. Then I opened the RCS
file and found a command line that checks partition 5. The question is, are the intermittend pauses while playing music as well
as the freezing of the unit really connected to partition 5 or are 2 or the 3 reason for it, or is there another fault in the unit?

Cheers

Marc H.
post #3311 of 3314 Unread Today, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

With errors on partition 2 and 3 you never know how your Olive behaves. Having repaired them, if possible, gives you at least a healthy Olive system back. So that may prove to be the whole problem.
Just try.

Marc
post #3312 of 3314 Unread Today, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

If you found the fsck on sda5 in rCS, you problably have changed in on my advice.
After booting and a proper turning off, there will always be an error left in sda5. So, a properly working Olive creates an error... ;-(

Marc
post #3313 of 3314 Unread Today, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
If you found the fsck on sda5 in rCS, you problably have changed in on my advice.
After booting and a proper turning off, there will always be an error left in sda5. So, a properly working Olive creates an error... ;-(

Marc
Hi Marc,

no, I was about to add the line you proposed but then I found a section coming after the sda7 check beginning with the comment

# edited by Colin

...fsck /dev/sda5

Have you added the fsck for part2 and 3 into the rcs file?

Cheers

Marc H.
post #3314 of 3314 Unread Today, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Oh well, then I think Olive changed it on my advice. ;-)
There is no way to fsck the system partition. That is, without altering the boot-up process completely.
Olive was so wise to move the so called cfg and data partition aside in sda5 and sda7, making the system partition less prone to write errors. But still they can occur as you have experiented.

There is nothing to do about that.
NB there is only one system partitition and it is either sda2 or 3. The other is a previous system partition with the previous Olive version. It is not used.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page